Character Portrait Critique

CloudKnight

Heya, aside from being my avatar, it's also a portrait I made of one of my characters, but in the style and setting of the GBA FE games. I was wondering if anyone could give any feedback on it. I'd like to fix any weird parts of it to make it look better. I'm hoping at some point in time to make overworld sprites, as well as battle sprites, but that may take some time. Anyways, I hope you can take a bit of time to check this out :D

EDIT: changed the image to reflect the more recent changes made.

FE Glasses test.png

Edited by CloudKnight

At a glance:
-As said above, the mouth is low but really I blame the nose for being to high up
-The hair is kinda pillow shaded/banded (ngl I can't really tell those 2 apart)
-The neck is really thin
-The face, particularly the far side, has no defined shape, it's rounded
-The red seems like FE8 colours, unlike the rest of the mug, which is in FE7 colours, biiig no-no those clash really badly
-The trim (gold parts jsyk) looks messy and lacks AA (anti-aliasing)
-The glasses are kinda nice but at the same time, is kinda misplaced as it seems just attached to the ears instead of hanging from them

Suggestions/Advice/whateveryouwannacallit:
-Stick to splicing vanilla mugs together until you get the hang of how GBAFE mugs work and general proportions and all that
-If you really wanna continue customing/whatever, then I suggest learning the basics of anatomy and such, referencing the vanilla mugs for your mug, there's also a tutorial in the Spriters' Resource that conveniently mentions the general style of GBAFE mugs
-Rip colours from vanilla mugs until you get the hang of the colour selecting of GBAFE mugs
-Learning the general basics of spriting like AA and how to avoid banding, along with shading and such

Overall:
-It seems like a decent try at a custom mug, but it could use a lot more work and improvement, keep at it

General disclaimer:
I, more times than not, talk out of my ass so...take what I say with a grain of salt but this should suffice until someone better comes along :B

13 hours ago, Ronnie said:

The mouth looks kinda mopey. Try moving it a little up and a little to the right.

That's a good point, I've already tried adjusting the mouth a bit. I'll post an updated image once I do more changes to the mug.

6 hours ago, BlazeKing said:

At a glance:
-As said above, the mouth is low but really I blame the nose for being to high up
-The hair is kinda pillow shaded/banded (ngl I can't really tell those 2 apart)
-The neck is really thin
-The face, particularly the far side, has no defined shape, it's rounded
-The red seems like FE8 colours, unlike the rest of the mug, which is in FE7 colours, biiig no-no those clash really badly
-The trim (gold parts jsyk) looks messy and lacks AA (anti-aliasing)
-The glasses are kinda nice but at the same time, is kinda misplaced as it seems just attached to the ears instead of hanging from them

Suggestions/Advice/whateveryouwannacallit:
-Stick to splicing vanilla mugs together until you get the hang of how GBAFE mugs work and general proportions and all that
-If you really wanna continue customing/whatever, then I suggest learning the basics of anatomy and such, referencing the vanilla mugs for your mug, there's also a tutorial in the Spriters' Resource that conveniently mentions the general style of GBAFE mugs
-Rip colours from vanilla mugs until you get the hang of the colour selecting of GBAFE mugs
-Learning the general basics of spriting like AA and how to avoid banding, along with shading and such

Overall:
-It seems like a decent try at a custom mug, but it could use a lot more work and improvement, keep at it

General disclaimer:
I, more times than not, talk out of my ass so...take what I say with a grain of salt but this should suffice until someone better comes along :B

Thanks for the tips. You've really given me a lot to work with, including some pixel art terms I've never even heard of. I'll make adjustments to parts you mentioned.

As for colors, those aren't the final picks for her clothing. I didn't decide on her colors, and rather than take time to pick them out, I went with existing palettes from other official mugs to draw out her body. Once I figure that out, I'll change the colors to something that looks better. I'm also just really bad at picking colors...

I think a main issue I had while doing this was sticking too close to colors from other mugs. The hair for example I too feel is too soft, but the palette I had only consisted of those colors (and not many heroes have black hair...), so I may just add another darker color to define it more.

If you have suggestions for colors, I'd be glad to hear some. I feel I tend to pick the worst ones, haha.

Thanks again for the tips guys :D

6 hours ago, Zelkami said:

Another thing worth noting. This sprite looks like it goes over the 16 color limit. If you want to use this in an actual hack, you won't be able to insert it.

Thanks for the tip! I'm gonna count the number of colors the mug uses and adjust any colors I need to.

Remember, those 16 colors include the mandatory background color, so your character is really only allowed 15 colors on it. You'll also need animation frames if you want it to function properly.

11 hours ago, Zelkami said:

Remember, those 16 colors include the mandatory background color, so your character is really only allowed 15 colors on it. You'll also need animation frames if you want it to function properly.

What is the background color?

It doesn't actually matter as long as it's different from the rest of the colors. Ideally it should be something light and pale so you can see your work better, but I don't think there are any actual color restrictions.

tbh it's actually probably easier to crit your mug if you post a normal 1x/100% zoom and let the rest of us zoom in on it
it's particularly annoying that you picked 3x zoom, since there's really no good way of us shrinking it back down to 1x without fucking up the pixels

would do a full explanation but i gotta go to work so here's just a visual ref instead

b5b25029c74b38f00d6de2750feeb299.png

1 hour ago, Teapot said:

tbh it's actually probably easier to crit your mug if you post a normal 1x/100% zoom and let the rest of us zoom in on it
it's particularly annoying that you picked 3x zoom, since there's really no good way of us shrinking it back down to 1x without fucking up the pixels

would do a full explanation but i gotta go to work so here's just a visual ref instead

Thanks for the feedback! You've definitely given me more to work on.

Also, if you'd like for me to post a 1x version of the image, I can certainly do so : )