Is there a term for when a large number of enemies kill themselves up against one of your units all in one turn, each providing a small amount of damage which adds up to the point of your unit's death?

In video games in general, it's called "Death of a Thousand Cuts." I don't know if there's a FE-specific term.

Source: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DeathOfAThousandCuts

EDIT: After thinking about this, I realized that "Death of a Thousand Cuts" isn't the best term. Zerg Rush may fit the description better.

Edited by CriticalMiss

36 minutes ago, I'm a Spheal said:

I call it "of course that would happen" or "True Hit is the best system my ass". 

but true hit makes you more likely to dodge....

Edited by Nobody

Dear lord, what is the character limit for topic titles again?

I personally call it "goddammit, Frederick"...

But seriously though, I know what you're trying to describe.  I don't think there's an "official unofficial" term for it.  I guess you might say it's a sort of hubris, since the very thing that makes them powerful also inadvertently caused their demise.  Don't think that's necessarily the correct term, but if there is a correct term for this sort of thing that isn't that, it's lost on me.

Japanese fans, and (kaga himself in the interview in the fe4 official guidebook, call it “yattsukemake”

—I see. By the way, I’d like to ask about the movement system – cavalry units are now able to move again after attacking, right? The tactical options have broadened a lot…

Kaga: We’ve characterized the cavalry-type units. Moreover, we wanted to avoid the so-called
“yattsukemake” pattern (T.N.: “yattsukemake” is the term the Japanese use to refer to one kind of enemy phase character death – specifically, the one in which the character kills too many opponents for his or her own good, and ends up dying from the accumulated damage dealt by the extra enemies). In an actual battlefield, there’s no way one character will be able to occupy one place, so it’s kind of odd to say he could make a “wall” there. We went quite far in order to prevent that kind of thing, and this is the result.

Therefore, I believe cavalry units are tough enemies. Maybe you won’t be able to feel that against the enemies under low commander levels, but the units under high commander levels make concentrated attacks. For instance, in the first half, Eltshan’s troops are like that. They’ll certainly focus their attacks on one character, so even if they’re only dealing 1 or 2 damage they’ll keep coming, so they’re quite dreadful.

source:https://serenesforest.net/general/interviews/holy-war/official-guidebook/

So yeah, this is why canto exists

1 hour ago, sirmola said:

Japanese fans, and (kaga himself in the interview in the fe4 official guidebook, call it “yattsukemake”

source:https://serenesforest.net/general/interviews/holy-war/official-guidebook/

So yeah, this is why canto exists

Wow, I'm honestly surprised that terminology like that was used so early on in the series, I thought fans wouldn't come up with something like that at least until the internet.

I wonder if the word has a literal translation?

54 minutes ago, The Baroness of Blainswal said:

Wow, I'm honestly surprised that terminology like that was used so early on in the series, I thought fans wouldn't come up with something like that at least until the internet.

I wonder if the word has a literal translation?

Google translate gives "battle death" (although i only had the transliteration to enter in. If i had had the actual japanese characters, it might have given something different).

Edited by sirmola

I believe dealing small bits of damage in general is referred to as "chipping" since the enemies are effectively chipping away at the unit's health.

Personally I call it (especially when it's being done by Archers) "Getting Boromir'd"

I only have a name for the variant, in which critting the enemy makes room for the next enemy to land the killing blow. I call it "helpful critical".

I believe its what the kids call... Getting wrecked. Ok now that my TFS joke is out of my system. 

It's pretty much the enemies kamikazing on you when you think about it, or dog-piling.

This is why I actually find Normal harder than hard at times. I just end up underestimating those weaklings! That said when it happens to me it is usually because of a crit on either end. Either I kill someone I was really hoping I wouldn't with an untimely critical, or an enemy, sometimes multiples of enemies, score critical I wasn't counting on. So I think of it as mostly a critical failure.