Voting Gauntlet: Battle on the Beach!

Vaximillian

Voting Gauntlet: Battle on the Beach poll!  

202 members have voted

1. 1. Whom are you going to support?

2 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

They haven't really made use of the most popular guys much.  Ike, Roy, and Hector have not even appeared yet, and they're the most popular guys.  Ephraim went up against number 2 Girl Lucina and Robin went up against Tharja.  Of the 9 top 10 girls in the poll, only Lyn, Azura, and Nowi haven't been in a Gauntlet yet.  By Contrast, 6 out of the 10 Top Guys (5 of 9 if you count Ike together) have yet to appear in a Gauntlet at all.  One of the reasons the girls keep winning is they pick one of the top girls and pit them against middling popular guys.  Leo's been used several times, but he's only number 10 on the guys' side.

Problem is, apart from the very top guys (mostly Ike), they rest would only stand a chance if they deliberately chose less popular girls. Like middling guys would likely still lose out to middling girls, so they'd have to pick very unpopular girls, it feels. I could be completely wrong, though. That being said,I really, really want them to stop using top tier girls and just give us a proper gauntlet for once - multiplier or no multiplier. Leo should be able to win - only number 10 is still high up. He just shouldn't be pitted against freakin' Corrin, freakin' Tharja and freakin' Lucina - not that he got past Ephraim the first time, but then Ephraim shouldn't have to win against Lucina... Urgh.

People are right, though. They wouldn't need the multiplier and wouldn't need to cause this sort of annoyance if they'd just balanced the gauntlet better. Have top slated characters face off against other top slated. Lucina vs Ike sort of thing (although I don't think Ike was in the game at the first voting gauntlet, but still) -.-

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

I want an all-male gauntlet. Or a gauntlet that doesn't include any Fates or Awakening characters. Or if they can't do either, a gauntlet with no Nohrian characters. Seriously.

Good idea. But it's no Nohrians AND no Awakenites.

Male only should be better, if only because I think the attachment to males generally burns less brightly than the attachment to females, nor is the sex appeal element so readily apparent. Unless the Japanese yaoi fangirls come out in droves that is.

2 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Male only should be better, if only because I think the attachment to males generally burns less brightly than the attachment to females, nor is the sex appeal element so readily apparent. Unless the Japanese yaoi fangirls come out in droves that is.

We should have 4 different versions of Ryoma up against 4 different versions of Takumi.

Just now, Interdimensional Observer said:

Yeah, I'm fine with no Nohrians and no Awakening characters. I wouldn't mind a Hoshidan character nearly as much (as long as it's not like Takumi versus a bunch of obscure pre-3DS characters, I may like Takumi but that's not a fair matchup either) because they've only been in two gauntlets and both have been matched up against their Nohrian counterpart and curb stomped. Apparently Fates = primarily Nohr.

A female character winning on a beach gauntlet. What a surprise. At least it wasn't because of multipliers.

But male only gauntlet does sound good to me right now. I mean, most of the main lords are male but we haven't gotten a single male winner. As long as they don't make it like Marth against seven axe bros.

The main reason I care about the voting gauntlet is because it's a great feather source, not as a popularity contest. My favorite character could lose against a character I dislike, as long as I got feathers, I wouldn't care much. 

I think this mode is flawed as anything other than a distraction that gives you tons of feathers and allows you to play with units from other players. As a popularity contest, it's flawed because of the multiplier and bandwagonning can cause people to side with characters other than their favorite. Also, siding with the clear loser often nets you more feathers due to how much easier it is to rank there, even with the winning side getting the 500 feathers, which is just weird. You get a big 'You Win' screen, but the person on the losing side who spent the same amount of flags as you get more rewards. Doesn't look like much of a win to me.

Honestly, I don't mind the current system. The only thing I'd change is maybe lower the multiplier to a fixed x3 to prevent upsets like the Gaius vs Leo one and maybe raise the winning feathers a bit so that people on the winning side can get an amount of feathers similar to those on the losing team. That way, the chance of last minute multipliers causing upsets is lowered and everyone gets a similar amount of feathers. Still not a good popularity contest, but it gives every participating players a change to get a good amount of feathers no matter who they choose.

1 hour ago, Kahvi said:

A female character winning on a beach gauntlet. What a surprise.

This made me laugh more than it had any right to. The bit about having a ton of male protagonists with no male characters is a really good point too.

1 hour ago, LuxSpes said:

The main reason I care about the voting gauntlet is because it's a great feather source, not as a popularity contest. My favorite character could lose against a character I dislike, as long as I got feathers, I wouldn't care much. 

I think this mode is flawed as anything other than a distraction that gives you tons of feathers and allows you to play with units from other players. As a popularity contest, it's flawed because of the multiplier and bandwagonning can cause people to side with characters other than their favorite. Also, siding with the clear loser often nets you more feathers due to how much easier it is to rank there, even with the winning side getting the 500 feathers, which is just weird. You get a big 'You Win' screen, but the person on the losing side who spent the same amount of flags as you get more rewards. Doesn't look like much of a win to me.

Honestly, I don't mind the current system. The only thing I'd change is maybe lower the multiplier to a fixed x3 to prevent upsets like the Gaius vs Leo one and maybe raise the winning feathers a bit so that people on the winning side can get an amount of feathers similar to those on the losing team. That way, the chance of last minute multipliers causing upsets is lowered and everyone gets a similar amount of feathers. Still not a good popularity contest, but it gives every participating players a change to get a good amount of feathers no matter who they choose.

What if the multiplier was a fixed number and dependent on the number of players on each side? To use the finals as an example, Gaius would get higher multipliers than Corrin since she had 7× the supporters. It would (potentially) turn bandwagonning itself into a handicap, prevent popular characters from steamrolling the competition and also the issue of sleeping through higher multipliers.

Of course setting boundaries for determining team sizes would be tricky (among other things).

Thoughts?

Edited by DefyingFates
wiuld

6 hours ago, DefyingFates said:

What if the multiplier was a fixed number and dependent on the number of players on each side? To use the finals as an example, Gaius would get higher multipliers than Corrin since she had 7× the supporters. It would (potentially) turn bandwagonning itself into a handicap, prevent popular characters from steamrolling the competition and also the issue of sleeping through higher multipliers.

Of course setting boundaries for determining team sizes would be tricky (among other things).

Thoughts?

How is this any different than the current system? Bandwagonning is already a handicap for the total score of the popular team. As far as missing out on the bonus hours, that is the benefit given to the more dedicated players. Having constant multipliers for both sides just to make the scores close to being even is the absolute worst idea I have ever heard for "fixing" this "problem" that isn't actually a problem to begin with. If 50,000 people like one character and only 7,000 people like the other character, why does something assumed to be broken when the 50,000 beat the 7,000? Capping team sizes would just make a bunch of people mad that they can't support their waifu because the team filled up.

The only reason the Final was such a huge curbstomping is because the 4 least backed participants were on one side and the 4 most backed participants were on the other side.

The real Final of this gauntlet was Corrin v Robin. That one was fairly close and Robin had a legitimate chance to win had she gotten the bonus at different times.

The gauntlet doesn't need any major changes. There is no way for Intelligent Systems to do anything because players will choose whoever the hell they want to support and there is absolutely no way to predict how that goes.

The gauntlet is fine. We just need to accept that some match-ups will turn out like Corrin v Gaius and others will be like Chrom v Ephraim (or Gaius v Frederick anyone?).

So here are my results for the gauntlet. I joined Corrin right from the get go only because she was one of the two I had. I had absolutely no idea who the favorite was going in.

Round  1:  Score 219,340  -  Rank 980  -  Total Rank 25,412 - 2500 + 500 = 3000 feathers

Round  2:  Score 595,640  -  Rank 886  -  Total Rank 14,278 - 2500 + 500 = 3000 feathers

Final Round: Score 251,120 - Rank 16,159 - Total Rank 22,493 - 2300 +500 + 1800 = 4600 feathers

Grand total - 10,600 feathers.

Based on my Rankings, there was an absolute maximum of about 21,500 people in Team Gaius since about 900 of the people in Team Corrin were ahead of me.

21,500 Is also a high estimate because anyone who was on Team Elise (or any other team really) in Round 1 (and 2) would have had a higher cumulative score than me because of their many more bonus hours and many of them could have ended up on Team Corrin. Team Gaius had probably around 15,000 - 17,000 people on it compared to 100,000+ on Team Corrin.

9 hours ago, Hawk King said:

How is this any different than the current system? Bandwagonning is already a handicap for the total score of the popular team. As far as missing out on the bonus hours, that is the benefit given to the more dedicated players. Having constant multipliers for both sides just to make the scores close to being even is the absolute worst idea I have ever heard for "fixing" this "problem" that isn't actually a problem to begin with. If 50,000 people like one character and only 7,000 people like the other character, why does something assumed to be broken when the 50,000 beat the 7,000? Capping team sizes would just make a bunch of people mad that they can't support their waifu because the team filled up.

The only reason the Final was such a huge curbstomping is because the 4 least backed participants were on one side and the 4 most backed participants were on the other side.

The real Final of this gauntlet was Corrin v Robin. That one was fairly close and Robin had a legitimate chance to win had she gotten the bonus at different times.

The gauntlet doesn't need any major changes. There is no way for Intelligent Systems to do anything because players will choose whoever the hell they want to support and there is absolutely no way to predict how that goes.

The gauntlet is fine. We just need to accept that some match-ups will turn out like Corrin v Gaius and others will be like Chrom v Ephraim (or Gaius v Frederick anyone?).

So here are my results for the gauntlet. I joined Corrin right from the get go only because she was one of the two I had. I had absolutely no idea who the favorite was going in.

Round  1:  Score 219,340  -  Rank 980  -  Total Rank 25,412 - 2500 + 500 = 3000 feathers

Round  2:  Score 595,640  -  Rank 886  -  Total Rank 14,278 - 2500 + 500 = 3000 feathers

Final Round: Score 251,120 - Rank 16,159 - Total Rank 22,493 - 2300 +500 + 1800 = 4600 feathers

Grand total - 10,600 feathers.

Based on my Rankings, there was an absolute maximum of about 21,500 people in Team Gaius since about 900 of the people in Team Corrin were ahead of me.

21,500 Is also a high estimate because anyone who was on Team Elise (or any other team really) in Round 1 (and 2) would have had a higher cumulative score than me because of their many more bonus hours and many of them could have ended up on Team Corrin. Team Gaius had probably around 15,000 - 17,000 people on it compared to 100,000+ on Team Corrin.

What about the multiplier? They were a key factor in Gaius's victories, how would you tweaked them?

17 minutes ago, Zangetsu said:

What about the multiplier? They were a key factor in Gaius's victories, how would you tweaked them?

Everyone complained when there was no multiplier because the outcomes were more or less decided from the start. The multiplier was added to make it so the popular characters weren't guaranteed to win. Gaius was the 1st underdog to benefit from this. If anything, Gaius winning is just the multipliers doing what they were added to do.

In short, nothing needs to be tweaked. Everything is working exactly how they are intended. Underdog teams lose out on the 500 victory feathers but they get a higher cumulative score. Balance.

There is zero reason to have any multipliers at all if everyone still wants the larger team to win every match-up with them.

29 minutes ago, Hawk King said:

Everyone complained when there was no multiplier because the outcomes were more or less decided from the start. The multiplier was added to make it so the popular characters weren't guaranteed to win. Gaius was the 1st underdog to benefit from this. If anything, Gaius winning is just the multipliers doing what they were added to do.

In short, nothing needs to be tweaked. Everything is working exactly how they are intended. Underdog teams lose out on the 500 victory feathers but they get a higher cumulative score. Balance.

There is zero reason to have any multipliers at all if everyone still wants the larger team to win every match-up with them.

& yet there's the argument on being cheated in said opponent's loss. What if this the deciding factor when it comes to the finals?

14 minutes ago, Zangetsu said:

& yet there's the argument on being cheated in said opponent's loss. What if this the deciding factor when it comes to the finals?

Then the team that lost fucked up.

On 08/08/2017 at 0:51 AM, Hawk King said:

Plenty needs to be tweaked with the gauntlet when it's clear as day who the winner will be from the first score update of the first round. If that's how things are intended to work, then I'm not surprised people think of the gauntlet as the worst aspect of the game. I'm not trying to be negative, but let's be real, there is a lot wrong with the gauntlet, and these arbitrary multipliers are essentially the developers wrestling with figuring out how to counteract their most popular character steamrolling a popularity contest. Which doesn't even make sense.