Voting Gauntlet: Battle on the Beach!

Vaximillian

Voting Gauntlet: Battle on the Beach poll!  

202 members have voted

1. 1. Whom are you going to support?

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Tybrosion said:

I'm sorry, random Team Gaius person, I'm trying real hard not to judge. I really am.

Hide contents

VWS94it.png

Rezzy's Bridelia put her other self out of her misery.

Cordelia: Tell me about the rabbits, Bridelia

Bridelia: Once we get done here, we're going to get us a farm. And we'll get a little group of rabbits for you to pet. (Pulls bowstring)

3 hours ago, Soul~! said:

Doesn't look like Gaius is running an advantage against Corrin anytime soon.

Still waiting to put in 200 flags.

It seems every time I looks Gaius has the multiplier going.

23 minutes ago, Othin said:

tumblr_ou8nzr0H1X1sn35pqo1_1280.png

who would do this

Someone who wants to troll people with a gimped build?

6 minutes ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

I'm definitely on the "current VG format is bad" train. All the multiplier really does is allow upsets to happen, and I don't see the point of that in a popularity contest. It also has an extremely annoying effect on the gameplay: I live in North America and the best multiplier times are when I'm asleep.

Since we're sharing stories of questionable builds, I almost lost a VG match (one of the rare times I wasn't just cheesing it with a Level <30 unit) when I discovered that someone had replaced their Klein's Glacies with Glimmer, so he couldn't finish off some high-def unit with ~10 HP. Literally any other (non-Night Sky line) offensive limit would have been good enough.

To be honest, other than people being sure the girl would win again, Corrin wasn't the obvious favorite like some other Gauntlets had been.  I think the multiplier annoys more people than people grumbled about an obvious winner.  They were at least popular enough to be favorites, so their supporters are at least happy.  With the dumb upsets, more people are getting cheesed off by it than are benefiting from the mechanic.

2 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

There is more or less the same amount of complaining about the multiplier being dumb now as there was about the winner being already determined when the characters were announced being dumb back then. There was just less outrage back then because Gaius isn't somehow in the finals getting his ass curbstomped.

It's true about the level of complaining, but there was a material difference, the game was fair.

The game was originally conceived as a popularity competition contest.  So I really never understood the whining about the most popular character winning.  On the macro level, the game worked as it should.  Now, it mostly does, but BS like the Leo v Gaius match is possible.  

On a micro (individual player) level the game is much worse.  You're dependent on catching multiplier bonuses to have any hope of gaining a high score.  You also have no control over how the other people supporting your team play.  Thus, even if you know the proper strategy at any given moment, you have no meaningful way to affect the outcome of the game.  Before the multiplier this wasn't an issue.  At that time, only real strategy was to put up as many points as you could for your team.

The multiplier was a terrible idea and made the whole game meaningless as anything other than some free feathers.

Edited by kcirrot

Trying to get my Sheena to 500 HM for some feathers, so I deployed her in the gauntlet.

My allies are a Ryoma and Tharja. The team is facing off against Anna, Hector, and Effie.

Armor emblem?

29 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

Cordelia: Tell me about the rabbits, Bridelia

Bridelia: Once we get done here, we're going to get us a farm. And we'll get a little group of rabbits for you to pet. (Pulls bowstring)

Of Mice and Brides

1 hour ago, Ice Dragon said:

There is more or less the same amount of complaining about the multiplier being dumb now as there was about the winner being already determined when the characters were announced being dumb back then. There was just less outrage back then because Gaius isn't somehow in the finals getting his ass curbstomped.

9 minutes ago, kcirrot said:

On a micro (individual player) level the game is much worse.  You're dependent on catching multiplier bonuses to have any home of gaining a high score.  You also have no control over how the other people supporting your team play.  Thus, even if you know the proper strategy at any given moment, you have no meaningful way to affect the outcome of the game.  Before the multiplier this wasn't an issue.  At that time, only real strategy was to put up as many points as you could for your team.

The multiplier was a terrible idea and made the whole game meaningless as anything other than some free feathers.

My thoughts on this, whether anyone cares or not.

First, the current multiplier system often actually disincentivizes play. The best strategy to help a team win is often just... don't play at all! Yep, reduce your contribution so that you might let your team hit the multiplier; or, reduce your contribution so that the opposing team won't hit the multiplier. That's often the best strategy.

Second, the current system rewards those who are lucky enough to catch the multiplier, not those who play the game often with dedication. The ranking system is crazy! If you spend all day fighting for your character, but you miss the multiplier hours, you'll rank lower than someone who logged in ONCE and got the multiplier bonus by chance. It's not based on effort or participation, mostly just luck.

Third, even as a popularity contest, it fails.

I keep getting someone's Bride Cordelia and Fae. I wonder if it's Rezzy's Cordelia. xP

Has anyone else on Corrin's side gotten my Summer Freddy? I hope all his debuffing helps! He can also survive Kagero's Poison Dagger, btw, so let him tank her if need be! I've been running into her a lot.

Edited by Anacybele

4 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I keep getting someone's Bride Cordelia and Fae. I wonder if it's Rezzy's Cordelia. xP

Has anyone else on Corrin's side gotten my Summer Freddy? I hope all his debuffing helps! He can also survive Kagero's Poison Dagger, btw, so let him tank her if need be! I've been running into her a lot.

Haven't yet. If the Fae is Lightning Breath+ and Moonbow, you're still getting my units.

I've noticed that your friend unit doesn't vary as much as probably statistically expected. I wonder how which friend you get is chosen.

2 minutes ago, phineas81707 said:

Haven't yet. If the Fae is Lightning Breath+ and Moonbow, you're still getting my units.

I've noticed that your friend unit doesn't vary as much as probably statistically expected. I wonder how which friend you get is chosen.

Yeah, sounds right.

And I wonder that too, actually.

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

Yeah, sounds right.

And I wonder that too, actually.

In all the battles I've done- and I've been on your team all three rounds- I think I could count the number of times I got your Ike/Robin/Summer Frederick on one hand, while I've gotten that goddamn Hector more times than I care to count...

3 minutes ago, phineas81707 said:

In all the battles I've done- and I've been on your team all three rounds- I think I could count the number of times I got your Ike/Robin/Summer Frederick on one hand, while I've gotten that goddamn Hector more times than I care to count...

I've gotten a Hector a lot too! That's so weird. But he did save my ass in some battles since he's really good. Even has Vantage.

13 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

If it's a +4 Bridelia with Brave Bow+ Ardent Sacrifce, Luna, Fury, Desperation, Breath of Life, and +3 HP Squad Ace Seal, that one's mine.  Looking at the THread, it seems she shows up for a ton of people, so hopefully, she's been doing well.

Just now, Rezzy said:

If it's a +4 Bridelia with Brave Bow+ Ardent Sacrifce, Luna, Fury, Desperation, Breath of Life, and +3 HP Squad Ace Seal, that one's mine.  Looking at the THread, it seems she shows up for a ton of people, so hopefully, she's been doing well.

Oh, I didn't check. Next time I'll do that. If there's a next time.

21 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

He can also survive Kagero's Poison Dagger, btw, so let him tank her if need be! I've been running into her a lot.

I was wondering how he could do this, but then I ran the numbers, and only +Atk Kagero ORKOes +Def YS!Fred. Man, he's seriously buff (not that it helps him against my Kagero... :-p )

21 minutes ago, Alkaid said:

I just got a +1 5* Berkut with Brave Lance+, Deathblow, Drag Back, and Hone Cav as my random ally. I was impressed to see the dedication for him.

Hm, I think I should build my Est like that too. Mine is +Atk so she should hit even harder than that :D 

1 minute ago, Seafarer said:

I was wondering how he could do this, but then I ran the numbers, and only +Atk Kagero ORKOes +Def YS!Fred. Man, he's seriously buff (not that it helps him against my Kagero... :-p )

Yup! My Summer Freddy is +Def too! And he IS buff. x3 So sexy!

47 minutes ago, GuiltyLove said:

Hm, I think I should build my Est like that too. Mine is +Atk so she should hit even harder than that :D 

Do it, and let the Whitewings all show their true power! Maybe Minerva will come home if you do