Jump to content
Vaximillian

Voting Gauntlet: Battle on the Beach!

Voting Gauntlet: Battle on the Beach poll!  

202 members have voted

  1. 1. Whom are you going to support?



Recommended Posts

I've had a few interesting situations where trying to copy someone's strategy using the exact same units at the exact same levels don't work 100% because boon/bane makes a difference. Or promoting a unit makes them too strong and the strategy falls apart. But the fun part there is trying to salvage the strategy on the fly, because it can still work.

Oh, gauntlet, right. Got 1300 flags still, waiting for Gaius to get a multiplier so I can get rid of these.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This gauntlet was funny.

Started on team Tiki, because I thought she could win over Robin. I had Summer Tiki, so that works. She lost.

Then I went to team Robin to abuse the bonusez from Corrin's huge team. I have Summer Robin and could get some extra percentage using her. She lost, obviously.

Then Gaius was on the last round vs Corrin and, for the bonuses, I went with him. Good thing that I also have Summer Gaius and now I'm enjoying those multipliers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, a bear said:

Copying someone else's strategy still requires having said units (which even among freebies you may have missed or sent home) and spending time on EXP/SP. Cheesing the Voting Gauntlet is as simple as having one friend and one level 1 unit. That's a huge difference. If IS cares to fix it, they just have to limit one's selection among friends to those with a similar value, pulling a second stranger if none are available.

Easier game modes being easier to trivialize is always par for the course. That's just common sense.

Exceptions obviously exist, but I don't think anyone should ever expect a harder game mode to be as easy to trivialize as an easier game mode.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Holy heck, I'm ranking in the top 1000 currently in both my team and overall :O 

This may change, since I haven't waited until the last minute to use my flags, but I still have 500 left and Gaius is bound to get a few more multipliers. But I hope I'll finish in at least the top 5000 :) Can get another 4* up to 5* if I do ^.^

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LuxSpes said:

Even with that I don't think Gaius could overtake Corrin. After the latest multiplier, Gaius is still 1.2 billion behind Corrin.

Unlikely but having Gaius win would be pretty amusing. 

As for the fixed 3x multiplier returning, no. It'd be like returning to the times of curbstomps and those are boring. If anything, I'd like a multiplier to be applied automatically if both sides have remained in "Same" for over two hours. Also, reducing the multiplier trigger to 5% during the last 6 hours for added craziness. The idea is to discourage "cruise control" tactics. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why do so many people hoard all of their flags for the final round? The entire top 50 of Team Corrin has spent 4,400+ flags this round. It has completely tanked my rank in army for the final round. I'm gonna finish in the 2,300 feather tier.

I realize the final round gives you 1000 more feathers than the first two rounds but it forces you to have a terrible score for both the first two rounds and your total score is crap too because you miss out on all of the multipliers in the first two rounds. It is the absolute worst strategy for getting feathers.

With that strategy on Team Corrin from the start, you get as low 7,000 and a max of maybe 8,200 if the Team sizes were small enough in the first two rounds. Most likely you would get 7,200 - 7,600 feathers.

For me personnally, I was able to get the top 1000 in both of the first two rounds (3,000 + 3,000) and i'm on pace for the 2,300 feather tier in the Final round and 1,800 for total score.

3,000 + 3,000 + 2,800 + 1,800 = 10,600 feathers. (amounts include the 500 per round for victory.)

Worst case scenario, if your Final round tanks enough you still get 9,900 - 10,200 feathers. Either way, it is much better than the "All in on the Final round" strategy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, a bear said:

Copying someone else's strategy still requires having said units (which even among freebies you may have missed or sent home) and spending time on EXP/SP. Cheesing the Voting Gauntlet is as simple as having one friend and one level 1 unit. That's a huge difference. If IS cares to fix it, they just have to limit one's selection among friends to those with a similar value, pulling a second stranger if none are available.

I wouldn't even consider copying someone else's strategy cheesing it.  Pretty much every programed game in existence has walkthroughs that you can look-up to beat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

Chain Challenges, Grand Hero Battles, and Bound Hero Battles are fixed maps, meaning anyone can copy the strategies used by other players to complete them. That you choose not to do so is a handicap you impose on yourself.

Tempest Trials can be cleared by using auto-battle at lower difficulties if you don't mind missing out on the orb rewards at the top.

The Arena cannot be trivialized, but it can be made easier by various means if you don't mind staying in Tier 17-19. And that's the only game mode currently available that cannot be properly trivialized. When I said "almost all", I do, in fact, mean the "almost". Precision of language is important.

For tempest trials I meant the lunatic difficulty (and in general I was referring to the highest difficulty of everything I described).

Beyond that, Rezzy and bear's posts already covered my response pretty well. Looking up a detailed strategy on the internet, THEN levelling and promoting the required units (assuming you even have the same ones), THEN executing the startegy perfectly is not trivial. If you consider this to be trivial, then by that logic every single puzzle game, adventure game, and strategy game that eschews randomness is "trivial" and I don't agree with that at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Holy shit! Gaius did almost 2.4 billion with that last bonus. Apparently there are a lot of smarter people who knew to hang on to flags for the later hours.

Still isn't enough for him to take a lead though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lord-Zero said:

Unlikely but having Gaius win would be pretty amusing. 

As for the fixed 3x multiplier returning, no. It'd be like returning to the times of curbstomps and those are boring. If anything, I'd like a multiplier to be applied automatically if both sides have remained in "Same" for over two hours. Also, reducing the multiplier trigger to 5% during the last 6 hours for added craziness. The idea is to discourage "cruise control" tactics. 

I'd like the opposite, get rid of the multiplier altogether and create incentives not to bandwagon on the most popular character.

I find the gauntlet much more boring than it was during Camilla's or Lucina's curb stomps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

I got a 4-star Kagero with steel dagger equipped.

Why.

I went against a Reinhardt that was 5* but didn't have Dire Thunder. He was level 37... This confused me, but I was pretty happy about it, too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Cute Chao said:

I went against a Reinhardt that was 5* but didn't have Dire Thunder. He was level 37... This confused me, but I was pretty happy about it, too.

Easy answer- Tina stole it and the Master Sword. And even unarmed he just had to give the Holy Sword to his sister Olwen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Interdimensional Observer said:

Easy answer- Tina stole it and the Master Sword. And even unarmed he just had to give the Holy Sword to his sister Olwen.

Ahhh, makes perfect sense. He's such an honourable guy :D 

Shame he really isn't hard to beat without Dire Thunder (... or a raven tome since I had a full colourless party... or a fully boosted blade tome). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, kcirrot said:

I'd like the opposite, get rid of the multiplier altogether and create incentives not to bandwagon on the most popular character.

I find the gauntlet much more boring than it was during Camilla's or Lucina's curb stomps.

Um, the multiplier is the incentive. Unless you can come up with a better one?

It is definitely better now than it was before. There is a level of excitement in trying to figure out who to back in each round for maximum feather gains.

I have to agree with @Ice Dragon that the 3x was the best format so far. Although all of the Gaius shenanigans has been pretty fun as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe that would be the last multiplier. So I'm pretty much stuck in the 5k-10k range for both my team and overall. Kinda sucks cause I was so close to reaching less than 5k.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Hawk King said:

Um, the multiplier is the incentive. Unless you can come up with a better one?

It is definitely better now than it was before. There is a level of excitement in trying to figure out who to back in each round for maximum feather gains.

I have to agree with @Ice Dragon that the 3x was the best format so far. Although all of the Gaius shenanigans has been pretty fun as well.

I guess excitement is one word you could use to describe this.  I just think it's plain boring.  What does it matter?  There's no game here.  It's just an artificial method to keep the match close.  If Gauis were to win, we would all know that he only did because they literally gave that team 3-7 points for every point of Corrin's team.  

The multiplier unfairly punishes the winning team and those who cannot play during the multiplier.  When Gaius beat Leo because of a late game bonus it not only screwed Leo players out of a win, but they also didn't have as many cumulative points.  How the heck does that sound reasonable to anyone?

Why not create incentives to play the game a lot?   I think it would be great if the more matches you played for your team the higher the multiplier for that individual.  That way if your team worked hard and was more committed you would have a chance against a more popular character who has tons of less committed players.   Would the most popular waifu still win? Sure, probably.  But it would go back to being an actual game.

Alternatively , I wish they would just remove Voting Gauntlet altogether and go back to the drawing board if they think a fair competition is 'boring'.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, kcirrot said:

I guess excitement is one word you could use to describe this.  I just think it's plain boring.  What does it matter?  There's no game here.  It's just an artificial method to keep the match close.  If Gauis were to win, we would all know that he only did because they literally gave that team 3-7 points for every point of Corrin's team.  

The multiplier unfairly punishes the winning team and those who cannot play during the multiplier.  When Gaius beat Leo because of a late game bonus it not only screwed Leo players out of a win, but they also didn't have as many cumulative points.  How the heck does that sound reasonable to anyone?

Why not create incentives to play the game a lot?   I think it would be great if the more matches you played for your team the higher the multiplier for that individual.  That way if your team worked hard and was more committed you would have a chance against a more popular character who has tons of less committed players.   Would the most popular waifu still win? Sure, probably.  But it would go back to being an actual game.

Alternatively , I wish they would just remove Voting Gauntlet altogether and go back to the drawing board if they think a fair competition is 'boring'.

A popularity contest can hardly be considered a "competition." The only way to make things 100% fair is for everyone to be randomly assigned to a team without getting to choose, and take away the bonus points for using that team's character. People wouldn't be as happy about not being able to support their waifu, but it would prevent both upsets and complete one-sided curbstomps. And as long as they still give out feathers as an incentive, or make the rewards even better by adding orbs as well, people will still participate. Then it could become an actual competition.

Either that or they need to think of something similar to what you suggested, a way for the smaller team to win through concentrated effort. I don't know exactly how they could pull that off, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, kcirrot said:

I'd like the opposite, get rid of the multiplier altogether and create incentives not to bandwagon on the most popular character.

I find the gauntlet much more boring than it was during Camilla's or Lucina's curb stomps.

People nowadays will just cling to the popular character just to be safe. Put a popular character and it'll just curbstomp the competition. No motivation to even waste flags on a losing team or even getting into the game at all. The multiplier is an attempt to prevent the curbstomps to a degree. Unless you can come up with something better, the multiplier, while flawed, is the best we got at the moment. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Team Gaius here, joined for the feathers. I finally ran out of flags, so here are my results...

Spoiler

IMG_0638.thumb.JPG.60fe01d3b6b8cb5592dd67abb9372d84.JPG

My goal was to reach the top fifty ranks of any team at some point during this gauntlet, and I got pretty close to that with my highest rank of 150.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Lord-Zero said:

People nowadays will just cling to the popular character just to be safe. Put a popular character and it'll just curbstomp the competition. No motivation to even waste flags on a losing team or even getting into the game at all. The multiplier is an attempt to prevent the curbstomps to a degree. Unless you can come up with something better, the multiplier, while flawed, is the best we got at the moment. 

That assumes curbstomps are a problem.  They aren't.  If a character is more popular then they should win.  I genuinely do not see what's fun or exciting about just giving the losing team free points because they have no chance otherwise. 

Better to just be rid of the activity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At this point, I wish I had joined team Gauis instead. Not getting any multipliers is just killing my overall score. I think next time I'll purposely choose the losing side for potentially more feathers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...