Voting Gauntlet: Battle on the Beach!

Vaximillian

Voting Gauntlet: Battle on the Beach poll!  

202 members have voted

1. 1. Whom are you going to support?

4 hours ago, ruruo said:

At this point I feel like all the losers should rally to Gaius after this round. It'll be hilarious if he was the first male Gauntlet winner. 

I'm not going to validate the stupid multiplier by doing that.  Gaius got the least amount of real votes of all 8 contestants and never should have made it out of the first round.

At least when Leo lost before, it was because the other unit actually had more support.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, just looked at the chart for the men's side for the first time, looks likely that Gaius will win two in a row while being the least popular hero in the whole gauntlet. If that happens, then he goes on to do the same to Corrin, it would be kind of amazing.

Gaius couldn't possibly beat Corrin. Her team is way too freaking big. Elise couldn't beat her and she had a bigger team than Gaius if Gaius was actually the least popular this time.

And like I said, the multiplier isn't dumb, calling this a VOTING gauntlet is dumb.

Edited by Anacybele

2 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

I'm not going to validate the stupid multiplier by doing that.  Gaius got the least amount of real votes of all 8 contestants and never should have made it out of the first round.

At least when Leo lost before, it was because the other unit actually had more support.

Wow, is that really what happened? I just thought it was a close game, without the multiplier influence. I knew the multiplier would benefit the least popular unit sooner or later, which is ridiculous since this is literally considered a popularity contest. Although, as I say that, I'm hoping that the multiplier would do the same for Robin, since I really don't like Corrin. But hypocrisy and bias aside, I still don't think the multiplier is the proper fix for the gauntlets.

4 minutes ago, Frenzify said:

Wow, is that really what happened? I just thought it was a close game, without the multiplier influence. I knew the multiplier would benefit the least popular unit sooner or later, which is ridiculous since this is literally considered a popularity contest. Although, as I say that, I'm hoping that the multiplier would do the same for Robin, since I really don't like Corrin. But hypocrisy and bias aside, I still don't think the multiplier is the proper fix for the gauntlets.

But you never even really voted to begin with, you did battles. That's not voting, that's battling. This should never have been called a Voting Gauntlet. Ever. Battle Gauntlet, Tourney Gauntlet, something like that would've been much more accurate.

The multiplier allows for less popular characters to put up better fights, which would allow for more varied matchups, Otherwise, the only way someone like, say, Ike or Lyn would be allowed in a gauntlet without there being a curbstomp would be if they went against Roy or Lucina. Anyone else would surely lose and that's more boring.

Edited by Anacybele

7 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

1 minute ago, Frenzify said:

2 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

The multiplier allows for less popular characters to put up better fights, which would allow for more varied matchups, Otherwise, the only way someone like, say, Ike or Lyn would be allowed in a gauntlet without there being a curbstomp would be if they went against Roy or Lucina. Anyone else would surely lose and that's more boring.

In all fairness, Gaius did consistently outscore Frederick in the first 10 hours, and they got the same number of bonuses in their match-up. Team Freddy must have just had a lot of people join later on.

Just now, Hawk King said:

In all fairness, Gaius did consistently outscore Frederick in the first 10 hours, and they got the same number of bonuses in their match-up. Team Freddy must have just had a lot of people join later on.

This is possible too, because Frederick did actually get the first multiplier.

13 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

imho It's stopped being a popularity contest the moment the multiplier system was introduced.

I feel like what @Anacybele said sorta sums it up. I'd prefer it to be called something else. 

Edited by ruruo

I'm going to be upset if Leo loses because of this.  Something jas to change whether it's the name, the description in the help menu or the multiplier. Being called a voting gauntlet that is described as a popularity contest in the actual menu should not be having these kinds of results.  The multiplier effects the results making it no longer anything close to a popularity contest rather a contest of who the heck gets the better multiplier.  I don't mind if they have this system but the name really should be changed for it is no longer a challenge to see who is more popular but instead a competition of multipliers.

3 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

But you never even really voted to begin with, you did battles. That's not voting, that's battling. This should never have been called a Voting Gauntlet. Ever. Battle Gauntlet, Tourney Gauntlet, something like that would've been much more accurate.

And that's a very valid point. Perhaps it's no longer a true popularity contest, which I have mixed feeling on, but regardless of what it's called, I still can't help but feel like the least popular character winning by such a small margin, due to the multiplier, is kind of cheap. The very concept of the gauntlet is kind of flawed from the start, in that it's incredibly difficult for it to be fair in the first place. Where there is an incentive to win, people would always flock to the character most likely to win. So I understand implementing systems to counteract that, but when those systems favour the underdog too much it starts to feel like a battle of who can take advantage of the system the best. But you're right in that as the gauntlet currently stands it really shouldn't be called a Voting Gauntlet anymore.

1 minute ago, Frenzify said:

And that's a very valid point. Perhaps it's no longer a true popularity contest, which I have mixed feeling on, but regardless of what it's called, I still can't help but feel like the least popular character winning by such a small margin, due to the multiplier, is kind of cheap. The very concept of the gauntlet is kind of flawed from the start, in that it's incredibly difficult for it to be fair in the first place. Where there is an incentive to win, people would always flock to the character most likely to win. So I understand implementing systems to counteract that, but when those systems favour the underdog too much it starts to feel like a battle of who can take advantage of the system the best. But you're right in that as the gauntlet currently stands it really shouldn't be called a Voting Gauntlet anymore.

Yeah, well, cheap as it may be, it didn't change the fact that Freddy was really more popular than Gaius! <3 I feel like that's a victory in itself. I love that my knight in shining armor got more love! ^^

Frederick: Ah... *blushes*

Me: You're cute when you blush, you know that?

Frederick: You always think I'm cute though.

Me: Yeah, but you're even CUTER when you blush. How about that?

Frederick: Heh, fair enough. *smile*

Edited by Anacybele

Even though Leo >>>>>>>> Gaius, I still don't really care if he loses.

It's a game, after all.  Curbstomps make for a boring game, and that's almost certainly what would happen if the multiplier was not a thing.

I do have to agree about changing the name though.  It's not really an accurate name anymore.

Ugh, damn it. This ping-pong multiplier business could get ugly. Glad I saved flags.

Even though I'd like Gaius to lose for Freddy, I do prefer him over Leo. Gaius is at least pretty cool in his support with Maribelle. Leo just bores me to death like most of the Nohr characters (some just plain offend me too).

Edited by Anacybele

Guess we'll see if Robin can swing it back into a sweet spot after their inevitable multiplier after Corrin's. I fear we might be too small to make up the difference after how big of a lead Corrin's likely to get. And with so few multipliers on their side you KNOW they've probably got more flags saved up than most of team Robin.

1 minute ago, Alkaid said:

Guess we'll see if Robin can swing it back into a sweet spot after their inevitable multiplier after Corrin's. I fear we might be too small to make up the difference after how big of a lead Corrin's likely to get. And with so few multipliers on their side you KNOW they've probably got more flags saved up than most of team Robin.

Can confirm, haven't had to use any quest flags from this round yet.

The danger for team Corrin here is if after Robin's next multiplier she ends up down like 7%, meaning Corrin will trigger anther Robin multiplier a few hours later.

EDIT: Just checked, and that is the current projected scenario.

Edited by Beddlam
typo

Corrin vs Robin just got good.

This might end up being one of the most interesting battles yet. I predict that Corrin and Robin will trade multipliers for a while until the scores get high enough that the multiplier doesn't push one high enough to trigger a multiplier for the other. If it's Robin who ends up leading, then Corrin will probably overtake her and there won't be enough time to get far enough ahead for another multiplier. If it's Corrin, she might quickly grow her lead enough to trigger another Robin multiplier, and so we repeat.

No clue who will win; supporting Corrin and have plenty of flags!

Edited by Xaos Steel Wing