Scorched Grand Hero Battle: Valter, the Moonstone

SatsumaFSoysoy

7 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

I'm inclined to think it is her. The hair looks similar in style to the original FE8 artwork to me, but the madness in his eyes looks very much the same. His skin tone seems to be different though...

Skin tone is hardly a good indicator, though, especially with a decade in between. All of FE8's artwork has a desaturated tan gritty feel to it that doesn't necessarily carry over outside of FE8.

It's better to use shading style and line style (and how the artist draws eyes and ears) as an identifier.

• Replies 746
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Ice Dragon said:

Skin tone is hardly a good indicator, though, especially with a decade in between. All of FE8's artwork has a desaturated tan gritty feel to it that doesn't necessarily carry over outside of FE8.

It's better to use shading style and line style (and how the artist draws eyes and ears) as an identifier.

Mhmm, that's true. I haven't really studied this sort of thing on my own or anywhere else, so I'm not always sure what to look for. That makes sense.

23 minutes ago, The Geek said:

Nah, I don't think it's Wada Sachiko. Ā The eyes don't look like their style at all.

I'm not seeing any differences in the eyes that can't be explained by Valter being insane.

If anything, I'd be calling out the shading on the hair (which is very different from the style she uses for her Heroes artwork), the everything on the ear (which is much choppier, though that can be explained by the fact that Valter's art is choppy to begin with to match his character), and the shading on the armor (which doesn't look like Marth's,Ā Cherche's, or Titania's at all).

There are enough differences for me to be unsure, but there are enough similarities that I can't drop the possibility entirely.

Anyway, I've been hyped for Valter, and then I remembered something that might allow me to work with this. Normally, my pegasus luck doesn't extend to wyverns...

80/40/55/50/15/20/20

I think I might be able to make an exception for what might be theĀ realĀ first male pegasus rider, even if he betrayed his kind and joined the wyverns.

41 minutes ago, phineas81707 said:

Anyway, I've been hyped for Valter, and then I remembered something that might allow me to work with this. Normally, my pegasus luck doesn't extend to wyverns...

80/40/55/50/15/20/20

I think I might be able to make an exception for what might be theĀ realĀ first male pegasus rider, even if he betrayed his kind and joined the wyverns.

Sacred Stones had branched promotions. Wasnā€™t Valterā€™s class the alternative to falcon knight?

I promoted my pegasus knights into falcon knights so I donā€™t really remember.

Edited by Vaximillian

14 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

Sacred Stones had branched promotions. Wasnā€™t Valterā€™s class the alternative to falcon knight?

I promoted my pegasus knights into falcon knights so I donā€™t really remember.

Valter's Wyvern Knight class was a potential promotion alternative for both Pegasus Knights and Wyvern Riders. It is generally assumed, and lore largely supports, that Valter promoted from Wyvern Rider. However, the stats suggest Pegasus Knight, and there is room in the lore for this to be the case.

What kind of scrub ever makes their pegasi Wyvern Knights anyway?

23 minutes ago, phineas81707 said:

Valter's Wyvern Knight class was a potential promotion alternative for both Pegasus Knights and Wyvern Riders. It is generally assumed, and lore largely supports, that Valter promoted from Wyvern Rider. However, the stats suggest Pegasus Knight, and there is room in the lore for this to be the case.

What kind of scrub ever makes their pegasi Wyvern Knights anyway?

Wk promotion is too good i actually always make my pegasus that

Ā 

Its the same with Kaze. Why in the living fuck would anyone even bother with Master Ninja outside personal prefĀ is anyone guess

Edited by JSND

6 minutes ago, JSND said:

Ā 

Its the same with Kaze. Why in the living fuck would anyone even bother with Master Ninja outside personal prefĀ is anyone guess

Because Puppeteer is ugly!

This is a very, very good sign indeed. This may very well mean that we'll get an SS banner at last. Valter may not be Lyon, but we can work our way there! I'm pretty psyched to have a lance wyvern. Most of our lance fliers are pretty fragile. It'll be nice to have some variety.

36 minutes ago, JSND said:

Ā 

I mean, if you're going to promote for higher Str on your Shuriken user you might as well run maid Effie or some nonsense. Mind, it helps that Effie has 50% speed growth, better availability for early support levels, andĀ E rank hell isn't really a thing when you have so much Str to spare.

(This is assuming you're in conquest---not much reason not to just run Saizo instead in BR, methinks.)

6 minutes ago, DehNutCase said:

I mean, if you're going to promote for higher Str on your Shuriken user you might as well run maid Effie or some nonsense. Mind, it helps that Effie has 50% speed growth, better availability for early support levels, andĀ E rank hell isn't really a thing when you have so much Str to spare.

(This is assuming you're in conquest---not much reason not to just run Saizo instead in BR, methinks.)

Puppeteer is just for the Mov I think?

Just now, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

Puppeteer is just for the Mov I think?

It's really shitty Mov, though---you're technically mounted, but only for 1 more Mov compared to infantry. Adventurers have the same move because of their +1 skill---so, if Niles or, I don't know, Shining Bow Nyx went adventurer they'd have the same Mov as a Mechanist Kaze, and this is ignoring the bow knight 9 Mov option.

15 minutes ago, DehNutCase said:

Except Kaze already have 90.000 Res and SPD

Master Ninja only really closes in the difference when they reach x/13 and for what it worth Karakuri Killer have some worth in some chapters

There isnt even the lack of mountain restriction for Mechanist which allows Mech Kaze to replicate the mountĀ on ch 19 strats if you want to do that

Edited by JSND

1 hour ago, Rafiel's Aria said:

This is a very, very good sign indeed. This may very well mean that we'll get an SS banner at last. Valter may not be Lyon, but we can work our way there! I'm pretty psyched to have a lance wyvern. Most of our lance fliers are pretty fragile. It'll be nice to have some variety.

Also that weapon! I wish we could give it up for inheritance too, as my Catria would LOVE it. Oh well, I guess I'll use Valter from time to time. He seems good.Ā I'll put him on a team with Eirika

4 hours ago, Rafiel's Aria said:

I'm actually happier that we have Valter.Ā Ā Lyon is pretty much a must, he'd happen eventually. Ā But they could've delayed Valter for a long while. Ā Plus we finally know that wyverns don't always have to be axe users. Ā Poor Narcian.

35 minutes ago, Sayyyaka said:

Plus we finally know that wyverns don't always have to be axe users. Poor Narcian.

Him and Ashnard are pretty much the only ones to use swords, right?

11 hours ago, Gustavos said:

They said the Cursed Lance is unique to Valter so...I guess Cormag won't have it if they add him to the game, meaning the DuesselxCormag support is not canon. Damn, that's one of my favorites.

Not necessarily. Ā Cormag could have one too, some units share unique items like Olwen and Reinhardt.Ā 

Still, Cormag could be plucked from the timeline before Dussel gives it to him. Ā In this case, Valter is plucked from the timeline during when Valter picked up the lance. Ā It would be awesome if they continued his story and gave him a version called "Blessed Lance" or something to show that he mastered it. Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

And did anyone else notice how much more awesome Valter's wyvren is? Ā Did they use this body style before, it's way cooler than I remember the other wyvrens. Ā 

Edited by Lushen

8 hours ago, Lord-Zero said:

Nice to see that we're getting Valter. I just hope that, if there's a SS banner, that Myrrh and Amelia are part of that banner. Seth,Ā Vanessa or Moulder would be cool too.Ā 

I forgot about Myrrh! Given that Eirika and Ephraim are already in the game, I'd been guessing Seth/Innes/L'arachel would be three of the characters in the first full FE8 banner, and Myrrh would round that out perfectly.

7 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

Him and Ashnard are pretty much the only ones to use swords, right?

Pretty much, yeah. Ā I was very afraid Valter would be axe'd. Ā Not sure if I prefer Cursed Lance over Spear however, though I'm tired of distant counter on everything and Cursed Lance is really good.

Hopefully this is a sign of more SS exposure, I'd love to see Duessel in the game.

Edited by Sayyyaka

5 minutes ago, Sayyyaka said:

Hopefully this is a sign of more SS exposure, I'd love to see Duessel in the game.

More cool old guys, please. Duessel, Mycen, Bantu, Lorenzā€¦

15 minutes ago, Lushen said:

And did anyone else notice how much more awesome Valter's wyvren is? Ā Did they use this body style before, it's way cooler than I remember the other wyvrens.

The SS "Wyverns" come in two varieties- the fairlyĀ standard-looking dragon type with forelegs used by Riders and Lords. Then there is the Wyvern Knight style, which lacks forelegs completely and looks more serpentine andĀ less bulky (like an actual wyvern). It appears Heroes added forelegs, but otherwise kept the more slender design for Valter's mount.

https://serenesforest.net/the-sacred-stones/classes/introduction/

38 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

The SS "Wyverns" come in two varieties- the fairlyĀ standard-looking dragon type with forelegs used by Riders and Lords. Then there is the Wyvern Knight style, which lacks forelegs completely and looks more serpentine andĀ less bulky (like an actual wyvern). It appears Heroes added forelegs, but otherwise kept the more slender design for Valter's mount.

https://serenesforest.net/the-sacred-stones/classes/introduction/

Yea, but most wyvrens in FEH (and pegasus) look the same but have some color tweaks and slightly different attachments.

For example,
Minerva and Sp!Camilla's wyvren share he same wing shape, torso shape, and leg shape. Ā The head is the same but Minerva's has more horns. Ā The tails are different. Ā 
Narcian is similar to Minerva's but with a slightly bigger and different head. Ā Again, same feet and wings.Ā 
Michalis is literally just Minerva's but red.
Cherche and Camillas are identical except Camilla has extra long tusks protruding out the back of the head. Ā Both are otherwise the same.

In other words, all wyvrens that I have have the same wings, body, andĀ feet. Ā The head is always slightly different and there are two tail types, and one exclusive to Sp!Camilla (if you consider a flower different). Ā I don't have all the wyvrens, but I don't think any others are drastically different.

Ā 

And then there's Valter's dragon. Ā It looks like it has the same wings, but everything else is completely different. Ā It's less dragonny and more wyvrenny. Ā Looks totally different than the others, and way better imo.
<edit> A closer look, even the wings look slightly different, the very tip is a lot sharper.

Hopefully Cormag will have the same style dragon, maybe all the SS wyvrens will look like this.

Ā 

Ā 

edit: Ā Also, it's funny how they have Ephraim and Eirika but because IS refused to include any other SS characters, they lowkey included Sharena and Alfonse as fillers. Ā Ant there's no way a 4* or less Sharena, Eirika, and Alfonse can help 5* Ephraim clear Lunatic. Ā No greens or mages. Ā Good luck IS.

Ā 

looking at his stats, looks like he's a defensive attacker. Ā His speed is concerning, but it's not uncommon for IS to buff their lunatic stats and leave speed alone. Ā If this is the case, 30 speed is salvagable, but it can't afford to be any lower since he can't get a +spd nature. Ā If his speed is 30, you can pair with Fury 3 and his weapon with hisĀ strong attack, def, and hp make a solid unit.

Edited by Lushen

29 minutes ago, Lushen said:

Yea, but most wyvrens in FEH (and pegasus) look the same but have some color tweaks and slightly different attachments.

For example,
Minerva and Sp!Camilla's wyvren share he same wing shape, torso shape, and leg shape. Ā The head is the same but Minerva's has more horns. Ā The tails are different. Ā 
Narcian is similar to Minerva's but with a slightly bigger and different head. Ā Again, same feet and wings.Ā 
Michalis is literally just Minerva's but red.
Cherche and Camillas are identical except Camilla has extra long tusks protruding out the back of the head. Ā Both are otherwise the same.

In other words, all wyvrens that I have have the same wings, body, andĀ feet. Ā The head is always slightly different and there are two tail types, and one exclusive to Sp!Camilla (if you consider a flower different). Ā I don't have all the wyvrens, but I don't think any others are drastically different.

Ā 

And then there's Valter's dragon. Ā It looks like it has the same wings, but everything else is completely different. Ā It's less dragonny and more wyvrenny. Ā Looks totally different than the others, and way better imo.
<edit> A closer look, even the wings look slightly different, the very tip is a lot sharper.

Hopefully Cormag will have the same style dragon, maybe all the SS wyvrens will look like this.

You're looking at it the wrong way.

Aside from Wyvern Knights in FE8, every class that's referred to as a "wyvern rider" class in English is referred to as a "dragon knight" class in Japanese. So all the other "wyvern" riding characters are depicted in Heroes as riding dragons, while Valter, due to being an "actual" wyvern rider, has an actual wyvern.

Or to stick to the English nomenclature of calling them "wyverns", we could say Valter ridesĀ a snake-wyvern, while every other character in the FE series that typically rides wyverns rides a dragon-wyvern instead. (Cormag can promote to Wyvern Knight and ride a snake-wyvern, but his base class, Wyvern Rider, uses a dragon-wyvern.)