DisobeyedCargo

These were the levels of my team when I beat Pokémon red in one try:

Lapras: 41

Venusaur: 43

Arcanine: 41

Nidoking: 38

Jolteon: 43

Dodrio: 39

This goes to show just how broken Gen one is that you can feasibly beat the game at these levels

1 minute ago, Gustavos said:

I'm suddenly reminded of my try hard Pokemon Yellow file at age seven where my pikachu was almost level 80. 

I didn't want to use any other pokemon

Only pikachu? Did you ever beat it?

22 minutes ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

Only pikachu? Did you ever beat it?

I'm not sure. I remember beating Lance a bunch. But I would have had to have carried around other pokemon though, Pikachu can't fight Bruno's Onix. But otherwise I just kept getting further and further with each game over. Thunder, Thunderbolt, Thundershock when those run out.

A team below 45 across the board? Not bad. The last time I ever played Blue version, I was touched by how small and simple the world felt compared to all Pokemon games that have come since. It's amazing how far the series has gone beyond its origins.

Just to mention this, in case you've never seen it before, here's a little absurd "speedrun".

It's amazing what you can do in older games. OoT wowed me- that is a series of coincidences aligned as though it were fate ordained by the stars above.

2 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

A team below 45 across the board? Not bad. The last time I ever played Blue version, I was touched by how small and simple the world felt compared to all Pokemon games that have come since. It's amazing how far the series has gone beyond its origins.

Just to mention this, in case you've never seen it before, here's a little absurd "speedrun".

It's amazing what you can do in older games. OoT wowed me- that is a series of coincidences aligned as though it were fate ordained by the stars above.

I've seen a speed run of Majora's Mask, THAT was crazy.

but yeah, I took huge advantage of the special stat on my jolteon for dealing with Blue's alakazam and exploited the leech seed toxic glitch. As well as some other AI glitched to pull it off. 

It started as a joke to go in at such low level, but I ended up winning anyway. HORRAY FAULTY PROGRAMMING!

3 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

I'm surprised people can still play through Gen 1 and 2 from beginning to end. Those games felt unplayable to me unless you grew up with them lol.

I played Crystal recently, and despite playing heartgold first and growing up playing the  newer games, I still Found it very enjoyable. 

... wow. That's really impressive. If I recall correctly, the levels of the champion are 60-65, right? So, that's really neat that you beat him at 20 levels below.

12 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

I'm surprised people can still play through Gen 1 and 2 from beginning to end. Those games felt unplayable to me unless you grew up with them lol.

That just reminds me that I have yet to beat Pokemon Yellow on the Virtual Console. I don't even think I've beaten Lt. Surge yet.

2 hours ago, Gustavos said:

I'm suddenly reminded of my try hard Pokemon Yellow file at age seven where my pikachu was almost level 80. 

I didn't want to use any other pokemon

In all fairness, I think that's everyone's first Pokemon game - just using the starter to obliterate everything.

On 7/28/2017 at 11:53 PM, Rex Glacies said:

... wow. That's really impressive. If I recall correctly, the levels of the champion are 60-65, right? So, that's really neat that you beat him at 20 levels below.

That just reminds me that I have yet to beat Pokemon Yellow on the Virtual Console. I don't even think I've beaten Lt. Surge yet.

In all fairness, I think that's everyone's first Pokemon game - just using the starter to obliterate everything.

Here is blues team, and keep in mind that those levels I listed were the levels of my team AFTER I beat Blue:

And I actually recall having my team be fairly even leveled across the board in my first Pokémon game, but that was 11 years ago, i could be wrong.

Edited by DisobeyedCargo

Did you use lots of revives and high potions? 

Thats usually how i do the Elite four when I am too low level, but too damn lazy to go and grind.

Edit: God damn it, I have to go find a new image hosting site... screw this photobucket!

Edited by SlayerX

7 hours ago, SlayerX said:

Did you use lots of revives and high potions? 

Thats usually how i do the Elite four when I am too low level, but too damn lazy to go and grind.

Edit: God damn it, I have to go find a new image hosting site... screw this photobucket!

I walked in with 20 max potions, walked out with 13. 

Seeing this thread reminded me of my own pokemon red speedrun. The other day I was dusting off some old things and found my old game boy color lying around, with my pkmn red cartridge still in it.

I tried doing something different and did a speedrun (with help of a guide), and I beat the game in 3 hours and nothing but a lvl50 nidoking xD It mostly abuses the fact that X Acuracy makes you bypass hit calculation rather than raise your hit chance, so Horn Drill literally rips them a new one (it never misses).

Not as short as the 0 in-game time run, but this run can get as short as 2 hours despite being a completely glitchless run.

This is what it looks like. 

On 7/28/2017 at 6:19 PM, DisobeyedCargo said:

These were the levels of my team when I beat Pokémon red in one try:

Lapras: 41

Venusaur: 43

Arcanine: 41

Nidoking: 38

Jolteon: 43

Dodrio: 39

This goes to show just how broken Gen one is that you can feasibly beat the game at these levels

*gasps* *slow claps*

O jeny... I'm impressed!

Edited by Ottokar

On 8/2/2017 at 6:21 PM, Ottokar said:

*gasps* *slow claps*

O jeny... I'm impressed!

Yeah, and those were the levels of my team AFTER beating blue! I'm pretty sure no one was above level 40 before taking on Lorelei!

11 minutes ago, Ottokar said:

OK, scratch that. Now I'm impressed.

Yeah, it started out as a joke, but after I beat Bruno, I started to take it seriously.

it is seriously amazing the kinds of glitches you can take advantage of in this game. 

The hardest part was DEFINITELY Blue's Alakazam, hits like a truck, and can tank truck like special hits, as well as being VERY fast! 

14 minutes ago, Ottokar said:

Nice. Any other challenges we should know of?

Lorelei's lapras was a bit annoying, but not anything jolteon couldn't handle. The main thing was that ALL of Lance's Pokémon had hyper beam. His hardest pokemon was dragonite, but it didn't even touch me thanks to a glitch. Charizard I was able to Lock into rage (Against VENUSAUR!). Lapras was used a lot due to its access to psychic against Agatha and Bruno, and Bruno was EASY due to those two onixs. 

Here are my movesets:

Venusaur: Leech Seed, Toxic, Razor Leaf, Mega Drain

Jolteon: Double Kick, Thunder Wave, Thunderbolt, Quick Attack

Arcanine: Double-Edge, Roar, Dig, Fire Blast

Lapras: Blizzard (90% accuracy in gen 1), Psychic, Surf, Confuse Ray

Dodrio: Peck (ran out of TMs XD), Growl, Fury Attack, Drill Peck

Nidoking: Submission, Thrash, Strength, Earthquake