If the next game had a new cultural "theme" what should it be?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nordic mythology has actually had a decent amount of subtle/semi-subtle inclusion in Fire Emblem - Eirika's Sieglinde, Ephraim's Reginleif and Siegmund, Xander's Siegfried, Leo's Brynhildr, Odin's name, the Bifrost Staff in Fates, the Ragnarok Tome/Spell, the Vidofnir Lance in Sacred Stones, the Nidhogg Bow in SS and later Awakening, and Berkut's Kriemhild are examples. While I would like to see a majorly Norse-themed FE, I feel like they're just going to keep subtly including Nordic mythological references across future Fire Emblem games.

Chinese would be interesting, but I think they'll wait a couple games to do that as they just did Japanese culture for Hoshido and it seems kind of likely to me that they'd want some space between similar cultures that aren't typical FE culture. Maybe not, maybe so.

Arabian seems the most likely here if they want to keep things fresh, as it's not really something I can think of multiple examples for. That would be very interesting indeed.

Personally, I'd be interested in seeing a Russia-inspired world for FE, with a naturally colder climate hopefully leading to none of the women being improperly dressed among other things, and Fire Magic Users being perhaps held in higher regard. It could make for an intriguing scene of play.

Arabian would be interesting if they could somehow avoid making all the maps desert themed. That just wouldn't be fun to anyone.

By "nordic mythology", I'm assuming you mean Scandinavian mythology. It might be interesting since they haven't really borrowed much aside from names. They could add like an actual viking village or something along those lines. There's a ton of concepts they have yet to explore. Like, they have had some weapon names borrowed from japanese mythology but before Birthright, they didn't have an actual japan inspired country.

Other nordic mythologies on the otherhand, I can't really say the same. I really don't know much about Icelandic mythology but considering that vikings lived there, I assume it's very similar to Scandinavian mythology. Finnish mythology is distinctively different because vikings didn't live there (because Finland was just a ton of forest to them and other European countries). Instead, ye olde finnish mythology includes weird stuff like singing people into a swamp and getting drunk. I can't really see Fire Emblem fitting all that well into that setting.

7 hours ago, SoulWeaver said:

Personally, I'd be interested in seeing a Russia-inspired world for FE, with a naturally colder climate hopefully leading to none of the women being improperly dressed among other things, and Fire Magic Users being perhaps held in higher regard. It could make for an intriguing scene of play.

They would find a way to put scantily-clad women. After all, it's mainly the older women that dress in a scarf and so on, as far as I am aware. But the idea of using matryoshkas as tomes is intriguing.

3 hours ago, Kahvi said:

Arabian would be interesting if they could somehow avoid making all the maps desert themed. That just wouldn't be fun to anyone.

By "nordic mythology", I'm assuming you mean Scandinavian mythology. It might be interesting since they haven't really borrowed much aside from names. They could add like an actual viking village or something along those lines. There's a ton of concepts they have yet to explore. Like, they have had some weapon names borrowed from japanese mythology but before Birthright, they didn't have an actual japan inspired country.

Other nordic mythologies on the otherhand, I can't really say the same. I really don't know much about Icelandic mythology but considering that vikings lived there, I assume it's very similar to Scandinavian mythology. Finnish mythology is distinctively different because vikings didn't live there (because Finland was just a ton of forest to them and other European countries). Instead, ye olde finnish mythology includes weird stuff like singing people into a swamp and getting drunk. I can't really see Fire Emblem fitting all that well into that setting.

Perhaps oasis themed maps should suffice? I know what you mean, desert maps are not the best. But I can see potential in classes that can counter desert terrain.

Yes, I meant Scandinavian mythology. It would be really cool to see a Viking class in it.

I do like the idea of using Scandinavian culture, but it has been used quite frequently in other fantasies.

Celtic culture hasn't really been used apart from names either, and it could be really interesting.

Historical Note: Scandinavia actually warmed up considerably in the middle ages, which led to more food, leading to overpopulation, and that led to Viking raids.

Edited by vanguard333

I actually really like the Sacaens from Elibe, since Mongolian/nomadic horseman cultures aren't done or seen very often in fiction or fantasy.

Maybe we could get something like that again, but with a little more exploration of the culture this time. A plot based more around tribes rather than established kingdoms might be interesting.

• 2 months later...
On 7/31/2017 at 3:55 AM, SoulWeaver said:

I mean peg knights in the Jugdral and Elibe were from the cold and snowy regions in their games yet wore miniskirts, I don't think the cold will stop them.

As for me, I would like to see an Arabian Nights theme or maybe a South American feel. It would be pretty cool to see a massive jungle ala the Amazon in FE.

Africa. At least as a side country and neutral or allied nation. Two main reasons: first, it would be a cool way to get black characters into a Fire Emblem setting, and second, I just listened to the Japanese lion king musical soundtrack and after listening to the stampede I just need to know what kind of map and battle themes IS could do with these instruments:

Edited by Alastor15243

On 11/1/2017 at 7:37 PM, Etrurian emperor said:

I think an Arabian nights setting would work pretty well though I don't know of the fanbase would be reacting positively to the many desert maps such a setting would bring.

I would also like a Fire emblem game really make use of the Roman theme that Nohr seemed to have at first. 

For the Arabian setting you could expand it to Mesopotamia and the Holy Land, allowing for plenty of cities, non-desert terrain (i.e. rivers, mountains, barren plains), and the room to have multiple cultures.

My personal favorite would be something along the lines of Republican Rome or Greece in the time of city-states. That would give room for actual moral ambiguity and greater focus on international relations. The geography would also allow for more moving via water, giving an easy out for branching paths. Imagine mounting an island-hopping campaign through the Aegean.

On 11/1/2017 at 5:25 PM, Corrobin said:

Hmmm... I'd be down for a sort of Greco-Roman style.

Shadows of Valentia had some Greco Roman things. A lot of the generic artwork was Greco-Roman inspired (i.e. In battle, the enemy characters had pottery-esque drawings). Plus Celica's DLC class was also Roman inspired. 
Plus, it's arguable that Rigel is basically a cold Sparta.

• 1 month later...

Anything African would be really great, it's so rarely used in games in general so having a major kingdom be more inspired by a few African cultures would be so standout. 

As for avoiding desert maps, well, jungles, wetlands, and plains exists? 

• 3 weeks later...

An Egyptian or Mayan theme would be my top picks. Being half-Guatemalan, I'd love to see Mayan culture portrayed in a creative way and fairly accurate way(I feel like this happens too often). Manaketes could resemble feathered serpents and beaststone users could transform into bats, quetzales and jaguars.

Blowguns, slings, and Obsidian weapons would be cool additions as well. The capture command could make a return since Mayan warfare placed a great emphasis on taking prisoners.

I'd also like to see something inspired by various Polynesian cultures. 

No, i dont want FE to become Pokemon.... its fine as it is to me...

The game might be medieval for the most part but it has elements of many cultures anyway...

-There are a lot of greek stuff

-Dark mages are Egyptians inspired

-There are also Norse stuff there with the Berserker class more notably looking like a viking

- and valla had a lot of inspirations and it felt really exotic...

etc

Edited by Pegasus Knight

48 minutes ago, Blade Lord Lyn said:

What's wrong with different themes?! just because Pokemon is doing it doesn't mean other games can't....FE did it amazing with Hoshido I can see them doing it more plus it had great reception, charm and appeal.

There's nothing wrong with it....

I just prefer for FE to stay Medieval with some slight inspirations here and there as it always has been.... Hoshido wasnt bad but it wasnt great either IMO (some parts were too gimmicky and some classes kinda ridiculous)... I prefer Nohr aesthetics all the way

Its fine to happen here and there ( like 1 every 5 games)  but i dont want to go full pkmn and every game heavily introduce an entire new culture....

IMO what FE needs to do at this point is to draw a clear map with all the continents they have so far... cause i am pretty sure they dont have a clear  idea how all exist in the same world (if they do)... and then they can introduce new ones... but i need them to clarify the known parts of the FE world and how they relate to each other ...  Fates seems too exclusive like its an entire universe of its own