Cordelia and F!Robin comfirmed for Warriors from Famitsu Preview

Azz

1 minute ago, The DanMan said:

https://www.gamecity.ne.jp/fe/index.html

Website updated. They gave F!Robin her own section. Honestly afraid she may be a clone.

This annoys me more than it should. Just make her an alt.

She better be very different from M!Robin, other wise, that is just a waste of a character slot that isn't even gonna be in the main story.

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Azz said:

She better be very different from M!Robin, other wise, that is just a waste of a character slot that isn't even gonna be in the main story.

I'm tempted to point at Hyrule Warriors... but even though Agitha, Ruto, Zant and Ghirahim weren't playable during the story (Zant and Ghirahim became playable in Legends), they were in it.

Maybe Toon Link from Legends? Eh, at that point, it was all expansion...

3 minutes ago, Azz said:

Clones don't take up slots. Did no one pay attention to Smash?

14 minutes ago, phineas81707 said:

I'm tempted to point at Hyrule Warriors... but even though Agitha, Ruto, Zant and Ghirahim weren't playable during the story (Zant and Ghirahim became playable in Legends), they were in it.

Maybe Toon Link from Legends? Eh, at that point, it was all expansion...

Toon Link is technically correct yeah, but given the stuff we've seen, this game's Story Mode might be considerably meatier than Hyrule Warriors's. Toon Link's moveset also felt quite divergent from Link's moveset despite taking some cues from it (and unlike Link's moveset, Toon Link's moveset had Charge Attacks up to C6).

Toon Link also had a main character role in the Reward Map that came with Legends, as well as a main character and major character role in two of the DLC Reward Maps for that game as well.

I do find it odd though that F!Robin is further away from the main characters than Cordelia is though considering M!Robin was added in-between Xander and Chrom.

22 minutes ago, Arthur97 said:

Two different designers, two different design concepts, and there is no way that clones will fly in this game if it's anything like Hyrule Warriors.

2 minutes ago, Folt said:

Toon Link is technically correct yeah, but given the stuff we've seen, this game's Story Mode might be considerably meatier than Hyrule Warriors's. Toon Link's moveset also felt quite divergent from Link's moveset despite taking some cues from it (and unlike Link's moveset, Toon Link's moveset had Charge Attacks up to C6).

Toon Link also had a main character role in the Reward Map that came with Legends, as well as a main character and major character role in two of the DLC Reward Maps for that game as well.

I do find it odd though that F!Robin is further away from the main characters than Cordelia is though considering M!Robin was added in-between Xander and Chrom.

I wasn't really critiquing Robin being a clone so much as her lack of story presence. Then again, I don't really think Hyrule Warriors has clones.

26 minutes ago, Arthur97 said:

Then explain Marth, Roy and Lucina; Link and Toon Link; Mario, Dr. Mario and Luigi; and Pit and Dark Pit. They are all clones of one another yet take up their own slots in the roster.

Also this is a Warriors game. Clone characters have no place in a roster where characters are supposed to be unique and have their own play styles and move sets. So unless F!Robin is a totally unique character with her own move set and play style to differentiate herself from M!Robin, she has no place in the main roster and should be an alt costume.

2 minutes ago, Azz said:

Then explain Marth, Roy and Lucina; Link and Toon Link; Mario, Dr. Mario and Luigi; and Pit and Dark Pit. They are all clones of one another yet take up their own slots in the roster.

Also this is a Warriors game. Clone characters have no place in a roster where characters are supposed to be unique and have their own play styles and move sets. So unless F!Robin is a totally unique character with her own move set and play style to differentiate herself from M!Robin, she has no place in the main roster and should be an alt costume.

Pretty sure that what he meant is that since clones are easier to make they don't actually take away any slots from other potential characters.

15 minutes ago, phineas81707 said:

Two different designers, two different design concepts, and there is no way that clones will fly in this game if it's anything like Hyrule Warriors.

I wasn't really critiquing Robin being a clone so much as her lack of story presence. Then again, I don't really think Hyrule Warriors has clones.

Programming is programming. She is an easy addition which probably takes a fraction of the work that a full character would. The principle still stands. It's free dessert.

5 minutes ago, Azz said:

I meant that they don't still anyone else's potential slot on the roster like some erroneously complain. Of course they have a portrait on the CSS, you have to select them somehow.

Edit: Ninja'ed

Edited by Arthur97

16 minutes ago, phineas81707 said:

M!Robin is already taking up the story role so she doesn't really have anything to her other than being there for other modes.

Spoiler

Most likely because the mainline FE characters all come from the same world that their games take place in compared to f.ex. Fire Emblem Heroes where it's implied that different versions of the characters come from their own world. F!Robin won't appear in the story of FE Warriors because the world of Awakening that the twins visit/pull heroes from is a world where M!Robin is the one who was chosen as the Avatar, so F!Robin never gets involved.

Similiarly, Toon Link did not have a role in the actual story of Hyrule Warriors, so he was used more as an extra opponent/character you could level up and use in Free Mode, Adventure Mode, and in the Reward Maps which are noncanon to the HW story but covers certain moments from Zelda games, Warriors-style (or were simply unique oneshot scenarios for fun or seriousness).

6 minutes ago, Azz said:

This is actually easy to explain: The clones take much less time to make than a unique character, so clones are only added in as an extra after everything else is kinda finished.

EDIT: Also, Luigi, Toon Link, and Roy (for SSB4) have diverged from their bases so they are pretty their own characters now.

Edited by Folt

43 minutes ago, Azz said:

39 minutes ago, Arthur97 said:

While I'm not one to throw around the term "slot", I will gladly say that sometimes "less is more". I don't like pure clones in Smash for that reason-- they're minimally different and feel like an easy way to get characters in without putting in effort (yes, I know they're last minute additions done with free dev time, but they still feel sloppy).

The Warriors series itself has moved away from clones entirely over the past several years-- I'm honestly all too willing to point fingers at IS strong arming popularity poll results. It's damned if they do, damned if they don't; if F!Robin is a pure clone, than she could've just been an alt costume. If she has notable differences, then that means dev time could've been spent on another character. 

8 minutes ago, Azz said:

They take selection slots, yes, but as covered, they aren't filling the roles of, say, 'fourth Fire Emblem character' or 'third Kid Icarus character'- they're just happy (or not-so-happy) coincidences.

9 minutes ago, Azz said:

This is the more damning thing. If M!Robin and F!Robin are completely identical moveset-wise and weapon-wise while having separate investments, that would be the worst padding a video game has ever done.

5 minutes ago, Arthur97 said:

Programming is programming. She is an easy addition which probably takes a fraction of the work that a full character would. The principle still stands. It's free dessert.

In Smash, you need to play a character maybe once in each mode to unlock everything. In Warriors, each character represents investments on the scale of hours. It's free dessert, if you consider a pile of wedding cakes that you have to eat to be a good thing.

Female Robin makes sense as her own character because then she could have her own costumes/palette swaps/whatever. If she was an alt for Male Robin, it's likely F!Robin wouldn't have any additional skins; it'd just be one F!Robin skin for M!Robin. But because she's her own character, she can have her own costumes and not clutter up M!Robin's. But if F!Robin is actually completely unique then that'd be really stupid imho.

It sucks how we might have to basically level up Robin twice but if you can buy level-ups like in Hyrule Warriors then I don't see it being too big of a problem.

9 hours ago, NeonZ said:

If you played with Dark Link, Proxi's portrait on the bottom of the screen still would use the standard HW Link, and although Dark Link would appear for in-game cutscenes, he'd be replaced by HW Link for the CGs. So, the presentation was rather inconsistent. For another example, in Pirate Warriors 3, they added a costume for a character called Tashigi based on a body swap incident from the series. The costume is actually meant to be someone else (Smoker) in her body, but because it is just a costume, it keeps her voice actress unchanged.

Koei has never locked specific costumes from modes like that, or added voice changes to them. I think if they were adding some new "tier" of costumes with special features they'd have highlighted it in that way, rather than presenting it as a character that can't be used in the story. Either way, the only (confirmed) difference between Female Robin being a clone character or some special costume is that if Female Robin is a character she'll need to gain levels by herself, rather than sharing them with male Robin.

This is a lot different though. Unlike Tashigi or Dark Link, female Robin is a different gender physically and mentally from male Robin so naturally they would go a little above to accommodate that change. For all we know it could have been a demand from Intelligent Systems.

Pretty much, yeah. That is the only reason I'd rather fRobin be an alternate costume...I do not want to spend days leveling up two nearly identical characters.

That said, if Tecmo Koei manages to do another Link/Toon Link scenario where they both have unique movesets, I'd be more okay with it.

53 minutes ago, Arthur97 said:

You're not incorrect..but as was stated, Warriors games still have you level up characters...which, without a glitch like in Hyrule Warriors, can take forever..especially if they end up upping the level cap over and over again..

21 minutes ago, Deva Ashera said:

You're not incorrect..but as was stated, Warriors games still have you level up characters...which, without a glitch like in Hyrule Warriors, can take forever..especially if they end up upping the level cap over and over again..

Be glad that it probably won't be like Warriors Orochi 3, where characters effectively had 1000 levels. Over 150 characters, to.

2 hours ago, phineas81707 said:

This is the more damning thing. If M!Robin and F!Robin are completely identical moveset-wise and weapon-wise while having separate investments, that would be the worst padding a video game has ever done.

I find chapters 15-21 of Birthright alone to be a worse case of padding, as at least training  a F!Robin up would be optional for only a non-story mode in this game.  At least as far as we know anyways.

2 hours ago, Pokechu said:

Female Robin makes sense as her own character because then she could have her own costumes/palette swaps/whatever. If she was an alt for Male Robin, it's likely F!Robin wouldn't have any additional skins; it'd just be one F!Robin skin for M!Robin. But because she's her own character, she can have her own costumes and not clutter up M!Robin's. But if F!Robin is actually completely unique then that'd be really stupid imho.

It sucks how we might have to basically level up Robin twice but if you can buy level-ups like in Hyrule Warriors then I don't see it being too big of a problem.

unless f!robin wields dark magic and channels the power of

Spoiler

Grima

I would much rather her be an alt

Edited by votris11
spoiler

Hm... Looking at some scans, the Move stat seems like it might be an increasable stat after all. Not to mention there will be bigger differences between characters' movement than we were led to believe: Frederick in one screenshot has a Move stat of 10 (Lv. 4), Cordelia has a Move stat of 20 (Lv. 8), and one of the Twins have a Move stat of 5 (at Lv. 5). That seems to fit with the developers saying that they want differences between mounted and unmounted units.

And the available weapon types appear to be Sword, Lance, Axe, Bow, Tome, and Stone.

53 minutes ago, Folt said:

Hm... Looking at some scans, the Move stat seems like it might be an increasable stat after all. Not to mention there will be bigger differences between characters' movement than we were led to believe: Frederick in one screenshot has a Move stat of 10 (Lv. 4), Cordelia has a Move stat of 20 (Lv. 8), and one of the Twins have a Move stat of 5 (at Lv. 5). That seems to fit with the developers saying that they want differences between mounted and unmounted units.

And the available weapon types appear to be Sword, Lance, Axe, Bow, Tome, and Stone.

What? Why would the move stat need to increase? If it's to increase speed, that's what the speed stat is for. :/ What purpose does increasing a move stat serve?

4 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

What? Why would the move stat need to increase? If it's to increase speed, that's what the speed stat is for. :/ What purpose does increasing a move stat serve?

Movement?

By all accords, Speed is likely going to determine attack speed, but not Movement speed (and it's rather logical that a mounted soldier is going to cover far more ground than a foot soldier, no matter how slow he is otherwise).

2 minutes ago, Folt said:

Movement?

By all accords, Speed is likely going to determine attack speed, but not Movement speed (and it's rather logical that a mounted soldier is going to cover far more ground than a foot soldier, no matter how slow he is otherwise).

That's true. They already said Mounted units will have a higher focus on traversing the battlefield quickly, and the Move stat seems indicative of that.

Whether or not the number itself is static, however, we have yet to see.  

16 minutes ago, Folt said:

Movement?

11 minutes ago, BlizzardWolf95 said:

That's true. They already said Mounted units will have a higher focus on traversing the battlefield quickly, and the Move stat seems indicative of that.

Whether or not the number itself is static, however, we have yet to see.  

Oh, I figured the speed stat would cover both movement and attack speed. I didn't think there'd be a movement stat at all since Warriors games aren't grid based like FE.

But a mounted unit covering more ground makes sense! I can't wait to clear big ol' crowds with Freddy! <3 I can see him having the best range out of non-ranged units (ranged would be magic and bows) because of his horse and how he seems to cover a big area with just one axe swing.

Edited by Anacybele

40 minutes ago, Jedi said:

Read it over on reddit. Makes me really hyped for this even more. Sounds like they are putting a lot of effort into making sure this is a Fire Emblem Warriors game, and not just a Warriors game with Fire Emblem characters.