What classes do you want to see come back?

Are there any classes from previous entries in the series that you'd like to see return in the next game? For me, I'd love to see the Mage Fighter come back.

Edited by MetalAmethyst

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please bring back monks/Bishops and light magic and separate magic ranks.

Love Glac.

Besides that, Dark Flier from FE13, but made into a full class line focusing on being a mage flyer rather than just a standard peg knight promotion.

For me, bring back the magic classes of the GBA games. I think the ideal magic-user system was nailed in those game and we haven't ever had all three types of magic represented since then.

Light magic classes.

I know the magic trinity is stupid since the WT really makes no difference and light magic has always been weak, but it would be nice to have it back, it would make magic seem more complete.

Just in general, I would like more magic separation again in general. Awakening was okay, except magic was all one rank, and there was only one light magic spell. And then Fates only had one dark magic spell.

I would love for Dark Falcon to come back. It was nice that Fates still included the class, though I liked it more when it was a part of the normal Pegasus Knight class line.

I'll admit, I got used to the absence of light magic, and I didn't really mind it being missing. But I did enjoy using the Valkyrie, Bishop, and other light magic wielding classes back in Sacred Stones, so it would be refreshing to see it come back.

2 minutes ago, Azz said:

Light magic classes.

I know the magic trinity is stupid since the WT really makes no difference and light magic has always been weak, but it would be nice to have it back, it would make magic seem more complete.

Just in general, I would like more magic separation again in general. Awakening was okay, except magic was all one rank, and there was only one light magic spell. And then Fates only had one dark magic spell.

I agree with all of this for the most part. Light magic may have low might, but if they give it chances to shine - versus monsters like Sacred Stones, or dark mages, for example, then it'll fit back in nicely. Weapon triangle has never exactly been make-it-or-break-it in the main series like it is a lot of the time in Heroes, but I think the magic triangle makes using magic a lot more dynamic. Radiant Dawn's magic system was basically perfect for me - the anima mage characters could use all three, but specialized (SS Rank) in one element.

Bards/dancers/songstresses should come back, or something like them like the herons from Tellius, especially if their buffs are as diverse as the herons' buffs are. They provide more depth and diversity to the gameplay, and more strategic options.

I liked ninjas, but I don't see them returning unless we get along Japanese-inspired setting. Outlaws are interesting take on thieves, and I wouldn't mind seeing them return, especially if they could provide the utility of staves.

I'd also like another hybrid physical-magical class in the vein of Dark Knights or Basara (Basara taking the edge over Dark Knight for me, which I found to be decent, but not great), or Jugdral mage knights, because I enjoyed a bit of a tankier alternative (sacrificing a bit of magic power) to regular mages.

Bring back the Tellius-style soldier/halberdier as well. I've just always been fond of their look, and having them be off-tank, moderately fast to the armor's full tank, but slow as molasses thing is cool.

• Summoner. 
  • Maybe throw in the Master Knight for some laughs as well.
  • Oh, and bring back Light-Magic Classes.
  • Dread Fighters. Preferably the FE13 version.
  • Barons, except with more than 4 Mov
  • Lord promotions that aren't "Great Lord". Bring back the Knight Lord or heck, even the Blade Lord.
  • Valentian Priestesses, except with more than 4 Mov.
  • Dark Fliers.
  • Malig and Kinshi Knights. These two Classes felt a bit underdeveloped.
  • Griffon Riders, except make them relevant.
  • Wyvern Knights.
  • The other types of Manaketes
  • Warrior. Did anybody notice that Warrior wasn't in Fates?
  • Infantry Lancers.
  • Rogues. I always felt Trickster/Adventurers were just not as cool replacements for the Rogue.

Nomad Troopers. They just seem more flavourful than Rangers or Bow Knights. Or maybe it's because I love the idea of fantasy Mongols.

Ditch the jank Fates triangle so we can have our buff boy archer the Warrior back.

Seconding the return of Light magic; they can tie it to the Staff rank like Dark is tied to the Tome rank if they don't want to clutter us up with weapon types.

I personally feel like giving the gryphons an actual in-universe presence and class would be pretty neat (Gryphon Rider -> Gryphon Knight), but i can't think of a combat role they could have that would set them apart enough, make them very fast and they would just be re-skinned Pegasus Riders, make them too offense based and they would just be re-skinned Wyvern Riders, make them too tanky and you're just making Knights even more obsolete, any ideas?

Outside of that, Pirates and mounted archers.

1 hour ago, Chconroy said:

we haven't ever had all three types of magic represented since then.

Radiant Dawn has Anima Magic users (Ilyana, Tormod, Callil, Soren, Sanaki and Bastian), Light Magic users (Micaiah, Laura, Rhys, Oliver and Sephiran) and one Dark Magic user (Pelleas), rendering your statement to be complete and utter BS.

Talking about Radiant Dawn, I'd like to see the third tier classes introduced in this game make a re-appearance in future titles.

Edited by NinjaMonkey

Sword Generals need to be a thing again. Marshals did the weapon tool shed job far better than great knights could.

Yes, returneth thine magic of divine light, please. And perhaps we could have classes that mix weapons with the trinity of magic, i.e. Sword + Light, Axe + Anima, etc.

I'd also love to see either Mage Fighters or Mage Knights come back, preferably the former because they haven't been seen since Genealogy of the Holy War.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:
  • Warrior.  Did anybody notice that Warrior wasn't in Fates?
  • Rogues.  I always felt Trickster/Adventurers were just not as cool replacements for the Rogue.

I like to think of Oni Chieftains as Fates' version of the Warrior class.

If Rogues come back, they could be made into a proper weapon master class if Daggers are also returning.

1 hour ago, OakTree said:

I personally feel like giving the gryphons an actual in-universe presence and class would be pretty neat (Gryphon Rider -> Gryphon Knight), but i can't think of a combat role they could have that would set them apart enough, make them very fast and they would just be re-skinned Pegasus Riders, make them too offense based and they would just be re-skinned Wyvern Riders, make them too tanky and you're just making Knights even more obsolete, any ideas?

Outside of that, Pirates and mounted archers.

Wyverns aren't (more/equally) tanky as a class? (Individual units and how the game turns out can of course differ) I think the griffons could possibly fit a more offensive roll while not having the defensive speciality of the others. Of course the system in place would need to be able to support that and then pull it off and the general general/knight issue is still fhere. (And any reshuffling of Wyverns would probably not help it) Now weapons I'm not sure about and hybrids (And even spilt promotions) I think muddy the issue further. 

1 hour ago, NinjaMonkey said:

Radiant Dawn has Anima Magic users (Ilyana, Tormod, Callil, Soren, Sanaki and Bastian), Light Magic users (Micaiah, Laura, Rhys, Oliver and Sephiran) and one Dark Magic user (Pelleas), rendering your statement to be complete and utter BS.

Talking about Radiant Dawn, I'd like to see the third tier classes introduced in this game make a re-appearance in future titles.

Spoiler

sephiran was technically a dark magic user, light was his primary type but he also had an ss rank in dark.

I would like to see the return of sword generals and the magic system from radiant dawn

a greater variety of manaketes would also be appreciated as well, I'm tired of everyone being a divine dragon or non descript type of manakete.

The master of arms was a fates class that I really liked as a swordmaster alternate as opposed to the assassin it made more sense.

3 hours ago, X-Naut said:

Ditch the jank Fates triangle so we can have our buff boy archer the Warrior back.

100% this. Fates' "triangle" was a mess and I hope it was just a one time thing. Though I would like the game's Kinshi Knight class (or something similar) to return because I love the idea of a flier/archer.

40 minutes ago, thecrimsonflash said:
  Hide contents

sephiran was technically a dark magic user, light was his primary type but he also had an ss rank in dark.

I know, I was basing them off of their primary weapon (since I could have included Sanaki in amongst the Light Magic users).

5 hours ago, NinjaMonkey said:

I completely forgot about Radiant Dawn. It's one of the games I haven't played yet.

Aside from the mainstays:

Warriors, Halbrediers, Thieves/Rogues(As an Assassin alternative), specialized cavaliers, armors and mages, Monks/Bishops, separate Shaman/Druids and Mages/Sages again, Pirates/Brigands. 

Basically everything from the FE6-FE10 Era should come back, the new classes in FE13 and (Especially)Fates should get sidelined. 

If I were to bring in some FE13/14 classes, Dark Flier would be up there, Kinshi Knights(Though on a proper peggy and not a dumb bird), some sort of melding of the Wyvern Knight from FE8 and the Gryphon Riders, as a sort of flying Hero class. I think the Dagger/Sword combination of the Master Ninja would also be a good direction for Assassins, as well.

Of the pre-FE6 ones, the only one I'd really want back is the light-magic/wind(Depending on whether they go Light/Anima/Dark or Lightning/Wind/Fire/Light/Dark) using Bard(You know who) from FE5, or the sword and anima using Mage Fighter from FE4. 

Also, as I went into in another thread, if they don't do branching promotions that you choose(They probably will), personal promotions should come back. IE, depending on the character, some Fighters could turn into Heroes. Or say we had FE8 classes in FE7 and personal promotions. Upon using a Fell Contract, Legault becomes an Assassin, Matthew becomes a Rogue. 

Edited by Slumber

7 hours ago, Slumber said:

Aside from the mainstays:

Warriors, Halbrediers, Thieves/Rogues(As an Assassin alternative), specialized cavaliers, armors and mages, Monks/Bishops, separate Shaman/Druids and Mages/Sages again, Pirates/Brigands. 

Basically everything from the FE6-FE10 Era should come back, the new classes in FE13 and (Especially)Fates should get sidelined. 

If I were to bring in some FE13/14 classes, Dark Flier would be up there, Kinshi Knights(Though on a proper peggy and not a dumb bird), some sort of melding of the Wyvern Knight from FE8 and the Gryphon Riders, as a sort of flying Hero class. I think the Dagger/Sword combination of the Master Ninja would also be a good direction for Assassins, as well.

Of the pre-FE6 ones, the only one I'd really want back is the light-magic/wind(Depending on whether they go Light/Anima/Dark or Lightning/Wind/Fire/Light/Dark) using Bard(You know who) from FE5, or the sword and anima using Mage Fighter from FE4. 

Also, as I went into in another thread, if they don't do branching promotions that you choose(They probably will), personal promotions should come back. IE, depending on the character, some Fighters could turn into Heroes. Or say we had FE8 classes in FE7 and personal promotions. Upon using a Fell Contract, Legault becomes an Assassin, Matthew becomes a Rogue. 

Wind using bards? The class don't have any special affinity for wind, it's either the character's focus in FE4 or just what magic you personally choose to train in with the one you get in FE5. Though I have always liked the potential of personal promotions. 

44 minutes ago, goodperson707 said:

Wind using bards? The class don't have any special affinity for wind, it's either the character's focus in FE4 or just what magic you personally choose to train in with the one you get in FE5. Though I have always liked the potential of personal promotions. 

I always forget Bards can use all magics aside from Dark. 

Edited by Slumber

To be honest I'd be interested in IS taking another crack at the Gryphon Rider class mostly because I've never played awakening (though I have heard it's pretty meh to bad) and I'd like to see if that class was actually good. Other than that I can't think of many classes I'd want to return off the top of my head.

16 minutes ago, CeruleanMage said:

To be honest I'd be interested in IS taking another crack at the Gryphon Rider class mostly because I've never played awakening (though I have heard it's pretty meh to bad) and I'd like to see if that class was actually good. Other than that I can't think of many classes I'd want to return off the top of my head.

The reason the Gryphon Rider was terrible in Awakening was that it could only wield axes. limiting the usability, the stats were too balanced. Being a awkward match up of Draco knight and Pegasus  knight  having more skill and speed of the later but less strength and defense than the Wyvern Lord. It doesn't help  having poor resistance in a magic heavy game as Awakening. 

The class could be improved by having better skills, and another weapon type probably daggers so the class can be an aerial support.

3 minutes ago, Jingle Jangle said:

The reason the Gryphon Rider was terrible in Awakening was that it could only wield axes. limiting the usability, the stats were too balanced. Being a awkward match up of Draco knight and Pegasus  knight  having more skill and speed of the later but less strength and defense than the Wyvern Lord. It doesn't help  having poor resistance in a magic heavy game as Awakening. 

The class could be improved by having better skills, and another weapon type probably daggers so the class can be an aerial support.

So that's why? Hmm... learn something new everyday, thanks for letting me know.