Editing game data for FE: Fates

MrKisuke

I've figured out how to extract the files from a .cia of FE Fates (I own a legal copy, 2 actually).  But I'm kind of stumped on what to do next.  I have the mods from RainThunder and it says to used the GameData.bin.  I've found the GameData.bin.lz, and I try simply looking for certain hex strings without doing anything to it, but find nothing.  When I decompress it and open it again in a hex editor, I only get 00s.  What do I do to start the modding process?

Are you using a LZ77 (de)compressor? I recommend Batch-LZ77.

Oh wait, FEAT also works, but I don't *think* it re-compresses.

After decompressing, you shouldn't get all 00s. So clearly something has gone wrong. Also, the file size should be bigger after decompressing.

The original size is 85kb, the decompressed size is 205kb so no problem there.  But it still just shows 00s, I tried out Batch-LZ77 (v1.3) and it said "not all files were processed successfully," and that the GameData.bin.lz file was "not a compressed file."  For context I used HackingToolkit3DS to extract the content.

Use FEAT for decompressing, it's much more reliable than Batch-LZ77 for that kind of stuff.

It's a shameless plug, but if you want to edit Fates' files, you could always use FEFEditor. The version of Nightmare that comes with it will automatically decompress/recompress .lz files for you, so you wouldn't even need FEAT or Batch-LZ77 for modifying GameData.bin.lz.