Magvel Nights for fire emblem 8

Trinidaddi

To quote Arch directly from the thread Advice for ROM Hackers:

On 3/31/2014 at 9:07 PM, Arch said:

6. Don’t be constrained by the traditional structure.

As long as I’ve been developing Elibian Nights, there have been a number of relative unknowns who’ve tried to make their names by copying that concept and porting it to another continent. None of them got very far, obviously. They say that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Personally, I’d rather be outdone than be flattered--I’d rather have two quality, unique games than one game and a shallow imitation. If a newcomer looks at my project and thinks “I want to make that,” and answers that inspiration with “Elibian Nights in Magvel,” then they’ve missed the point entirely. This means understanding the difference between “inspiration” and “imitation.”

Sure, trying to flesh out Magvel with a set of distinct and separate stories would be cool, but simply doing EN in Magvel is pretty stale. Besides, limiting your scope to a single event or story is much more manageable. Take a look at how long EN's been in development and the many hurdles it has faced. 

To expand upon this with my opinion; the part about "EN but Magvel" being an imitation.

"What makes EN work" I feel is the critical thing you need to think about first. EN's storytelling functions by taking a large number of already existing plot threads from FE6 and FE7 and relating, resolving, or demonstrating instigation of them; and having Arch spin these events as his muse's whims go.

This, of course, can't be done too effectively to FE8: There's only the one game, and what happens to the cast after the game is not completely ambiguously defined (the earthquake, for example), the very premise that makes EN work is that the cast is already divided and off doing their own things wildly far and away from one another. They have no more relation, the reason why the full group came together has been resolved and thus they re-divide into their smaller groups for their even more personal ambitions.

But, to quote from Arch's long past draft of Metis's Fables (which followed the general idea)

Unlike in Elibian Nights, where no character carried over between two tales, Knoll appears as a playable character in every tale; his inventory and level-ups remaining constant.

[...]
Why is Knoll in every story? Because in the future, he’s already seen the future. He knows where to be for the action already. No alternate timeline nonsense, it’s all a part of the same chronological progression. This realization, however, is one of the things Knoll discovers as his visions progress.

Thus, while being full of many separate stories (what EN does), it would have narrative differentiation (not a clone). EN has every single tale separated and thus there is no progression really possible, which drives a number of gameplay choices-- enabling and disabling things that can be done.

1 hour ago, Attila said:

Shouldn't this be in concepts?

Yes.  However, stating it in-thread does nothing.  Report the first post and request that it be moved next time.

6 minutes ago, eclipse said:

Yes.  However, stating it in-thread does nothing.  Report the first post and request that it be moved next time.

Yes Ma'am