Persona Q2, Persona 3 Dancing Moon Night and Persona 5 Dancing Start Night announced

Water Mage

Persona Q2, Persona 3 Dancing Moon Night and Persona 5 Dancing Star Night were all officially announced today, I actually did not expect for the three games to be announced at the same time.

http://personacentral.com/persona-3-dancing-moon-night-persona-5-dancing-star-night-announced-playstation-vita-spring-2018-release/

http://personacentral.com/persona-q-2-announced/

Cool I really enjoyed Persona Q and I look forward to the next one.  Now if only they would give some info on SMT Switch I will be happy.

572b66dabf387.gif

Atlus is just milking Persona for all it's worth. Who asked for more rhythm games? The original Persona Q was just a crappy EO game with a Persona skin. 
When I saw these announcements I thought they were jokes.

caaaaaallled it. Except I kind of envisioned the spinoffs would come in the same order as the last gen. Arena, Q, Dancing.

Persona Q2 is coming to 3DS? Wasn't there a big kerfuffle among japanese fans that wanted it on Vita? Also, has Atlus ever heard of this new thing called Switch, or are they just concerned with re-using assets?

35 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

Atlus is just milking Persona for all it's worth. Who asked for more rhythm games? The original Persona Q was just a crappy EO game with a Persona skin. 
When I saw these announcements I thought they were jokes.

Atlus is a business. They need to make money. People bought Persona Q and Dancing All Night. Atlus figured out they could make more money by releasing follow ups to those spin offs.

i doubt this affects the developement of SMT Switch or the eventual Persona 6. I don't understand the anger over game announcements. If you don't want it, don't buy it (i won't buy any of those games btw)

@Gustavos

vita is almost dead in Japan, 3ds isn't. Also, dual screens is a pretty important part of Persona Q

Edited by Nobody

Just now, Nobody said:

Atlus is a business.  They need to make money.  People bought Persona Q and Dancing All Night.  Atlus figured out they could make more money by releasing follow-ups to those spin-offs.

i doubt this affects the development of SMT Switch or the eventual Persona 6.  I don't understand the anger over game announcements.  If you don't want it, don't buy it (I won't buy any of those games btw)

The reason people are upset about the dancing games is because of what utterly shameless cash-ins they are.

As for Persona Q2, at least it will more likely than not be a proper RPG experience.  Though, it makes me wonder who the Persona 5 cast could possibly be crossing over with.  I doubt the Persona 3-5 casts will all be in there at once because of how bloated the playable character roster would be.  I'd prefer for them to cross over with the Persona 1 or 2 casts, but I don't think that's likely because of just how much less popular those are.

47 minutes ago, Nobody said:

Atlus is a business. They need to make money. People bought Persona Q and Dancing All Night. Atlus figured out they could make more money by releasing follow ups to those spin offs.

Yes, they did. Q is pretty controversial among both fanbases and DAN was widely considered a joke at first. It's equal parts annoying and hilarious seeing them do this. They'll make a profit off of it, certainly. 

I thought that Persona 5 Arena would be released before this type of game, but considering Arc System Works is busy with two fighting games already, they probably needed another type of spinoff. That being said, from what I've seen, public reception has been mostly positive. 

Even then, I'm more interest in the "Attic Meeting at Cafe Leblanc" event that happened in July 30, not only because of the reveal of the anime, but also the fandom's reaction to various Persona 5 related things. That reveals how Atlus will handle the Persona 5 brand.

I haven't played any of these "side" games like Ultimax or Arena yet so Idk about their quality.
As for me Atlus is trying to make as much money as possible with their own trademark Persona.  It's no real difference than all the Mario games (party, sports) to me.
I'm sure there are enough people who appreciate these games so I don't think it's justified to blame Atlus for doing this kind of business. Though I understand that hardcore fans who have grown up with their main games can't respect any side games.
I won't buy the dancing games, not because I decline Atlus's marketing politics, but because they don't match my interests. If it was a more appealing genre, I'd definitely consider a buy.

Edited by Reimu Hakurei

Obligatory "We never saw it cominnnnnnnnnnnnng!"

Seriously, though, I was not expecting this at all. I legitimately though this was a prank until I saw the gameplay PVs. A small part of me still can't believe it, and I'm wondering if I'll wake up soon. I'll probably buy these anyway because I am a huge sucker for Atlus, but still.

However, everything will be forgiven if:

1. Koromaru is playable in DMN.
  2. The PQ2 crossover is with Persona 2.

I am a little disappointed that they're not using the DAN designs that were already in P5 for DSN.

1 hour ago, Nobody said:

People bought Persona Q and Dancing All Night.

People bought PQ, yes, but DAN sold terribly. It didn't even crack 100,000 units sold in its first week in Japan. And now they're making two? It's almost like Atlus didn't learn their lesson from the last string of mediocre-to-poor-selling games they pushed out to cash in on a hot property.

5 hours ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

Every day we stray further away from YHVH's grace

And this is a bad thing why?

Where the hell is Minako?

Spoiler

You bring back Door-kun to make him dance. Really? Those assets better be used to make P3 remake in the future or I'm going to complain online for an eternity. I know this probably takes place before the ending of P3, but still.

I got my tin foil hat ready. Just you wait, guys. This means P5: Crimson will be made eventually. Get ready for

Spoiler

an extended alternate ending where Akechi inexplicably survives his encounter with Shadow!Akechi, and he is pardoned of all his crimes because Metaverse is gone. He is also forgiven because, when you have a tragic backstory, all the bad you've done in the world is immediately irrelevant. Also, Sae will be dateable for those who wish Big Sister could get some loving during Valentine's.

Edited by saisymbolic

36 minutes ago, AzureSen said:

DAN sold terribly. It didn't even crack 100,000 units sold in its first week in Japan. And now they're making two? It's almost like Atlus didn't learn their lesson from the last string of mediocre-to-poor-selling games they pushed out to cash in on a hot property.

Apparently it's around 400k now (VGChartz is only useful as a loose ballpark, listing .37m). And considering it was just re-skinned Project Diva, development costs were likely pretty minimal.

45 minutes ago, Reimu Hakurei said:

I haven't played any of these "side" games like Ultimax or Arena yet so Idk about their quality.

They're solid fighting games but the story(s) are text heavy slogs giving convoluted explanations for fanservice while also messing up several character's personalities and putting "the power of friendship" front and center to an even more ludicrous extent than usual.

Seeing the P3 cast in better, new models is actually pretty nice.  Though I'd be interested in seeing how Akihiko (and Koromaru, please let Koromaru dance) dance.  inb4MinakoisDLC

And Persona Q2...I just gotta wait to see which Persona games are getting crossed over.

33 minutes ago, saisymbolic said:

Where the hell is Minako?

Reveal hidden contents

You bring back Door-kun to make him dance. Really? Those assets better be used to make P3 remake in the future or I'm going to complain online for an eternity. I know this probably takes place before the ending of P3, but still.

I got my tin foil hat ready. Just you wait, guys. This means P5: Crimson will be made eventually. Get ready for

Reveal hidden contents

an extended alternate ending where Akechi inexplicably survives his encounter with Shadow!Akechi, and he is pardoned of all his crimes because Metaverse is gone. He is also forgiven because, when you have a tragic backstory, all the bad you've done in the world is immediately irrelevant. Also, Sae will be dateable for those who wish Big Sister could get some loving during Valentine's.

Considering that Adachi was a DLC dancer in P4 DAN, chances for Akechi appearing are pretty high, especially considering Akechi is far more popular that Adachi was. In fact I've heard that Akechi is extremely popular in Japan. There also the fact that Atlus registered domain called "P5AG". Considering AG are Akechi's initials in japanese, it's quite possible that he will get his own game.

28 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

Apparently it's around 400k now (VGChartz is only useful as a loose ballpark, listing .37m). And considering it was just re-skinned Project Diva, development costs were likely pretty minimal.

That's worldwide sales, I was talking first-week Japanese sales. And honestly, given how off their estimations for P5's sales are (it's missing half a million units compared to actual sales data, for reference), I'm not inclined to believe even their ballpark estimates.

13 minutes ago, Water Mage said:
  Hide contents

Considering that Adachi was a DLC dancer in P4 DAN, chances for Akechi appearing are pretty high, especially considering Akechi is far more popular that Adachi was. In fact I've heard that Akechi is extremely popular in Japan. There also the fact that Atlus registered domain called "P5AG". Considering AG are Akechi's initials in japanese, it's quite possible that he will get his own game.

Spoiler

That's a stretch. Akechi's popular, but not enough so to sell a game on his own, and what would an Akechi game even being about? Killing people at Shido's behest for 40 hours? Granted, never say never considering I fully expected there to not be another DAN game ever, but I'm still saying it's probably not going to happen.

Plus, while Adachi was in DAN, his appearance was also strictly non-canon. Which will be even more true of Akechi, since he's, y'know, dead. (Unless they bring him back to life in which case...Atlus, no. No, Atlus. Don't do this Atlus.)

38 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

They're solid fighting games but the story(s) are text heavy slogs giving convoluted explanations for fanservice while also messing up several character's personalities and putting "the power of friendship" front and center to an even more ludicrous extent than usual.

"Remember, if you're a loner, that means you're a creepy, violent weirdo who secretly wants to destroy the world!" -The moral of Ultimax's P4 side. I wish I was kidding.

6 minutes ago, AzureSen said:
Spoiler

Plus, while Adachi was in DAN, his appearance was also strictly non-canon. Which will be even more true of Akechi, since he's, y'know, dead. (Unless they bring him back to life in which case...Atlus, no. No, Atlus. Don't do this Atlus.)

Spoiler

There is no way this isn't happening. Akechi is, for some reason, popular, and that means he'll get redeemed in Persona 5 Golden for sure.

Of course, that's not the same as bringing him back for this game, but surely they wouldn't go that far...would they?

Edited by Thane

1 hour ago, AzureSen said:

Hide contents

That's a stretch. Akechi's popular, but not enough so to sell a game on his own, and what would an Akechi game even being about? Killing people at Shido's behest for 40 hours? Granted, never say never considering I fully expected there to not be another DAN game ever, but I'm still saying it's probably not going to happen.

You underestimate Akechi's popularity in Japan. He's really, really popular. He won the favorite character poll some months. And remember the "

Attic Meeting at Cafe Leblanc" event I mentioned before? From what I've been told, the crowd would go wild whenever something about Akechi appeared. And I also heard that when it comes to official Persona 5 merchandise, the ones featuring Akechi are the most expensive when being sold online.

we live in a world where it is possible, even for a moment, that the last etrian odyssey title will be persona q 2

what a world it is

Can't say I really have any interest in these games since I don't have the blind love for Atlus I once did, thanks in part to games just like them. I've been meaning to actually play more Persona games, but they're such a large investment of time that I can't really justify it.

A bit of a news update: 

The Dancing games won't have a story. Is that a good thing or a bad in you guys' opinion? That does explains why the P3 protagonist is playble, why Makoto is still in her uniform despite being in college and why Kamoshida's castle appears. It also gives the chance for the FeMC, Shinjiro and Akechi to appear as playable characters.

http://www.siliconera.com/2017/08/08/persona-3-persona-5-dancing-will-run-60fps-ps4-new-songs-elements/#disqus_thread