Our homemade 2v2 ruleset

Metal Rabbit

As title stipulates, this is in no way official. This is just a set of special rules for when our group of players get together and decide to do team games.

-Both players on a team select their own main characters and start off with them as usual. The game ends when one team has lost both of their main characters.

-You share your side of the field with your partner, which means you can't deploy more than one of the same unit at the same time (without special exceptions like risen or anna). As such, that means you can't have the same main character. Your frontlines are their frontlines and their backline is your backline.

-You and your partner take your turns at the same time. You both draw if it's not the first turn, you may each place a bond.

-Bonds are shared. It's up to you to communicate with your partner on how to allocate usage for deployment/leveling up as well as flipping bonds for abilities. For example, one way to use a standard heal ability could mean both partners flip a bond, rather than one person using both.

-When a main character takes damage, either partner can take the orb loss. For example, if a player had no orbs, but their partner had at least one, the partner could save them from one death. You may NOT however, dodge for your partner. If you can't take the orb then they will take damage. Sometimes it's useful to take the hit for your partner if your hand isn't great. This rule was instituted to prevent ganging up on one player and killing them off early.

-When a main character is completely defeated (no orb to save them) then they must place their deployed units in the retreat. Their partner's deployed units are untouched. The defeated player cannot draw or deploy any cards for the remainder of the match. The bonds the defeated player has down are left in play for their partner to use. This allows the partner to possibly make a comeback because they have full control of the bonds. It has happened. And it has been glorious.

-If an attack goes through where two or more orbs would have been lost, the partners may divide the orb loss as they see fit.

-If you have overlapping cards with your partner, you are not allowed to dodge or crit for eachother. But you may both place whatever you wish into the bond zone as normal.

-You and your partner's hands are deemed separate. This mean a dark mage's emblem wouldn't affect either of you as long as you both had 4 or less cards each.

-You and your partner's retreat areas and decks are separate. You may heal a card from your partners retreat to their hand, but you may not put it in yours. You may also not place a card of yours on top of their deck.

-You and your partner's support zones are separate. You would not be able to use the bride Lissa card to save your partner from a bad support, for example. You also can't draw a fate emblem and allow your partner to use the effect.

-Card effects on the field apply to both partners as usual. A class changed set 1 Lon'qu could benefit from your partner's sword units, for example. Or kurthnaga's 3 stack ability can oblitherate all non main character units on the opponent's side of the field. Cards that affect main characters apply to both main characters on a team.

Those are all the main rules I can recall at the moment. There are little rules or exceptions for specific cards but those rarely come up. We do this because it's fun. Placing two bonds a turn accelerates deployment and leveling up. The higher orb count per team and the ability to take damage for your partner can make it take longer than usual. So it makes for an interesting game. Especially considering your deck builds and ability to cooperate with eachother are the biggest factors.

I like the bond sharing idea, should try that with my own friends.

Is there anything you guys do that makes it unique, something that evokes either the series or characters?

One thing I had started, and kinda forgot about, is a 5 x 5 grid playmat so we can only attack things in range and stuff. Really makes movement a lot more important. e.g Characters move and can attack, rather than tap to move and can't attack afterward. But over-extending into opponent's zone can be kinda bad.

I was thinking of even adding trees tiles to increase Attack by 10 when defending.

Also maybe random objectives that heal orbs but am having a hard time with it.

Nah, nothing like that. We try to keep it as close to the standard rules as possible, with exceptions for cases where the rules would get confusing or unfair in the situation. Never thought of doing a grid tho lol. Might be something to try.

We do have a couple of game modes for times where we have more than 4 players. It devolves into a free for all where you can only attack the players to your right and left side. To prevent ganging up on an individual. We also allow for everyone to draw and place a bond at the start to help get things moving. The first player gets to pick the direction for turns, the last player is the first who can attack. Everyone but the first player can draw a card on turn one.

And if we feel extra dumb we add "Lloyd Mode". We place an SR lloyd in the center of the table with a special condition. Anyone who self supports during offense or defense is attacked by the lone Lloyd afterward. So you draw your support and hope he doesn't kill you. He still has his ability to steal support emblems, but its really only attacker's emblem that makes a difference. He will attack both parties if they both self support. If a unit self supports, but is killed by combat then Lloyd targets their main character instead. And finally, Lloyd will continue to untap and pursue units to continue to self support perhaps multiple times a turn. There have been two instances where he's killed all the players. So noone won.

Or random MC mode, where you shuffle your deck and the first 1 cost card you reveal is your MC for the game. Trust me. You haven't lived until you've had Muarim as your MC.

• 3 weeks later...
On August 3, 2017 at 5:28 PM, Metal Rabbit said:

As title stipulates, this is in no way official. This is just a set of special rules for when our group of players get together and decide to do team games.

Some clarification questions:

Can you Class-Change or Level Up your partner's Units? This is super important to know as it can make a huge difference - If I'm teaming my Lucina Deck with a Cordelia Deck, and my partner hasn't been drawing his Class-Changes and I draw my lone 4/3 Cordelia, can I help him out?

Speaking of Lucina, does this mean you can't pair Marth and Lucina as MCs if the Lucina player is using the Cost 1 with the "This card's name is always Marth" Skill? The official decision on the text is you can't normally have those Lucina and a Marth on the field at the same time, and those Lucina will Self-Support if Marth flips up, but you can Class-Change them into Marth cards for surprises.

Also, Alm and Celica would make this freaking amazing.

Plus YES to Lloyd mode. Unless I'm playing Sakura MC. Then bad idea.

Funny enough we've never had that situation. None of us use Lucina as a main character in any of our decks. I think if that situation were to occur for us, we would allow the lucina to be played alongside a marth card, but she wouldn't be able to class change into him as long as he's there.

You can't class change or growth your partners units with your own cards. You could however use something like King Chrom's promotion ability or Tiki's to faciltate their class change. That situation happens quite a bit for us. If one partner doesn't get what they need. They end up being a little dead weight until they do. Usually the options are allow them to take orbs in hope that they get their promotion or else hide them in the back.

But again, that's how we play. You could try it your own way if you're so inclined.

• 2 years later...