What do you think of this choice?

Jotari

So a number of people want more meaningful choices in Fire Emblem, especially since Fates and its supposed choice based plot. So heres one for Holy War that Ive always thought could be kind of good.

In Chapter 3 you have two choices. Talk to Eldigan and get the Earth Sword, or have a tough time killing him and get nothing. But what if this happens, you talk to Eldigan, he gives you the Earth Sword and then goes back and gets himself killed. The Mystletainn falls into the hands of the lopt sect and they keep it from Ares because they dont trust him and letting him have it is just asking for an Agustria revolt. BUT, if you kill Eldgian then Lachesis takes the sword from his corpse and later Ares gets it from a conversation with Nana.

So the choice would be between a somewhat useful weapon gained immediatly (Earth Sword) or a much more useful weapon later on down the road (Mystletainn). This would make killing Elsigan an actual plot effecting decision and would help make the Holy Weapons feel more special and something worth earning instead of just handing them out. Of courae thus also means you loose a major crutch character with Ares holy weapon not being guaranteed but well Im sort of the opinion "Screw the casuals. Games still plenty beatable even if you mess up your pairings and get half the cast killed."

Anyway what do you think of this decision both from a plot and gameplay stand point (maybe to be viable the Earth Sword should have some actual hit).

41 minutes ago, Azz said:

Yeah that sounds really interesting. Don't know if I'd be able to kill him tho with those boosts XD.

Rig a few Astra crits and its more than doable...Probably. I mean I think Ive killed him before just to see if I can but Im not sure. The game doesnt give me much motivation to see it through, which is sort of the point Im making here.

Maybe if you could reclaim the Mystletainn from the Loptyr Sect at a later point, such as midway through Chapter 10 or the Finale? Having it be lost forever wouldn't make as much sense since you can obtain the Earth Sword in Gen 2 from the vendor come Chapter 9 if you didn't talk to Eldigan.

26 minutes ago, X-Naut said:

Maybe if you could reclaim the Mystletainn from the Loptyr Sect at a later point, such as midway through Chapter 10 or the Finale? Having it be lost forever wouldn't make as much sense since you can obtain the Earth Sword in Gen 2 from the vendor come Chapter 9 if you didn't talk to Eldigan.

Well for the purpose of this exercise lets pertend the Earth Sword is a better weapon and you can only reclaim it that way if you spared Eldigan but screwed up passing it down.

6 minutes ago, hanhnn said:

This

73-Ch4_193.png

I dont kniw what this is. Chagall? Or Muhammad perhaps? What are you suggesting? Chagall steals Myatletainn and uses it even without holy blood?

19 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Chagall

yes.

19 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Chagall steals Myatletainn and uses it even without holy blood?

That wouldn't make sense, so I guess that idea won't work.

I think  Seliph and co. should be able to get Mystletainn later on. Surely they would try to retrieve it somehow. I don't how they would find it though so....

20 minutes ago, Jotari said:
28 minutes ago, hanhnn said:

This

73-Ch4_193.png

I dont kniw what this is. Chagall? Or Muhammad perhaps? What are you suggesting? Chagall steals Myatletainn and uses it even without holy blood?

This is a gameplay screenshot from a Japanese romhack called Fire Emblem Binary. If you talk to Eltshan, Chagall will indeed steal the Mistlotin and use it against you. (He has minor Hezul in the hack since it added holy blood to a lot of people that lacked it due to oversights and whatnot.)

54 minutes ago, Darrman said:

Chagall will indeed steal the Mistlotin and use it against you. (He has minor Hezul in the hack since it added holy blood to a lot of people that lacked it due to oversights and whatnot.)

Minor Hezul still doesn't make Mistlotin usable by him. He would need major (unless the hack just changed how it works for everyone).

1 hour ago, Darrman said:

This is a gameplay screenshot from a Japanese romhack called Fire Emblem Binary. If you talk to Eltshan, Chagall will indeed steal the Mistlotin and use it against you. (He has minor Hezul in the hack since it added holy blood to a lot of people that lacked it due to oversights and whatnot.)

Some characters like Levin's uncles lacking Holy Blood could indeed be an oversight but Chagall is not. Kaga's notes said that Hetzul's youngest daughter inherited the holy blood and I believe another seperate interview states he had many children.  Everthing points to Hetzul having conceived his heir before the blood bond which became the first king. I think evem in game its commented on that Eldigans line have always been vassel to the king despite having the holy blood.

Regarding the hack though I feel Chagall having the potential mytletainn would massively changed the story as it would have spurred him to kill Eldigan much sooner.

Well, in the Binary hack, most of the Holy Weapons will be lost after the Barhara BBQ and will not be passed to the next generation.

We have to get them back from Musar and Scorpio.

9 hours ago, Jotari said:

Some characters like Levin's uncles lacking Holy Blood could indeed be an oversight but Chagall is not. Kaga's notes said that Hetzul's youngest daughter inherited the holy blood and I believe another seperate interview states he had many children.  Everthing points to Hetzul having conceived his heir before the blood bond which became the first king. I think evem in game its commented on that Eldigans line have always been vassel to the king despite having the holy blood.

Regarding the hack though I feel Chagall having the potential mytletainn would massively changed the story as it would have spurred him to kill Eldigan much sooner.

Eltoshan is executed because he betrays his kingdom by listening to the invader.

44 minutes ago, hanhnn said:

Well, in the Binary hack, most of the Holy Weapons will be lost after the Barhara BBQ and will not be passed to the next generation.

We have to get them back from Musar and Scorpio.

Eltoshan is executed because he betrays his kingdom by listening to the invader.

Oh I know why Eldigan was killed, but Shagall also outright hated Eldigan and was throewing hin in dungeons for no reason before. If he didnt need Eldigan to use the,mystletainn and could in fact us it himself if Eldigan was removed then I dont see why he would keep him alive once Chaprer 2 is underway.

Also I would love if the Holy Weapons,had to be reclaimed in the second Gen like Balmung. Magicak inheritance is all well and good for ordinary weapons but it,begs belief with the plot based ones. I think the game did intend for Levin to hand Holsety out to his son in Chapter 10 at one point.

Edited by Jotari

On 04.08.2017 at 10:07 PM, Flee Fleet! said:

Minor Hezul still doesn't make Mistlotin usable by him. He would need major (unless the hack just changed how it works for everyone).

In the hack, minor blood can use the weapon but doesn’t get its stat boosts (or gets reduced stat boosts? can’t quite remember)

54 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

In the hack, minor blood can use the weapon but doesn’t get its stat boosts (or gets reduced stat boosts? can’t quite remember)

ah, I see. I guess they get reduced stat boosts as shown in the Chagall picture.