Fire Emblem: Realms of the Cosmic Mirror - Sign-Ups/Discussion

NoahStratos

"The Outrealms are beckoning..."

Welcome to Fire Emblem: Realms of the Cosmic Mirror's sign-ups and discussion page!

Spreadsheet available for all players to refer to:  SPREADSHEET LINK

Here's the interest check topic for background info: https://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?/topic/73306-interest-check-fire-emblem-realms-of-the-cosmic-mirror/

Table of Contents:

1. Intro
  2. Reading and Picking Characters
  3. How to Prepare for Battle
  4. Gameplay Mechanics

Current Roster/Positions in separate posts (except for first battle).

1. Introduction

“A millennium after the war of the Askr and Emblian nations, massive distortions of spacetime rose from the leftover power the Tempest Trials had caused. In Ylisse, Olivia mysteriously disappeared at the hands of a dragon. Her son and the others are trying to look for her. When Olivia herself woke up, she was standing in an unfamiliar place. Had it really been from a known tribe as the rumors said this whole time? When she realized it was a place that Anna described to her before Robin and Lucina went on vacation, she looks around and spots Celica standing right next to her. Something had turned Ylisse and the past version of Valm into an anomaly. They looked up and saw a Salamence snarling down at them.”

This roleplay pits canon Fire Emblem characters against other characters derived from foreign mediums. Focusing on the various strategic battles that the Fire Emblem series has, the battles require teamwork and should safely create an environment similar to a mega crossover game like Smash Bros. and Project X Zone.

Created with a hybrid in mind, it tries to insert elements from various Fire Emblem games and make them composite, in order to create a different experience. Dealing with a composite gameplay can be tough, so some debilitating ideas are removed for ease of management.

If you start to have problems with the rules and character you’re given, you're better off asking questions than making direct statements I can’t find a good reply to. Please use proper etiquette when needed, and don’t be inactive for more than 3 weeks.

This should act as a real Fire Emblem game but with several twists here and there. The more familiar the Fire Emblem experience are to players who sign-up the better off a game goes.

2. Reading and Picking Characters

(Please note that you’re mostly writing established characters for the time being.)

Most probably the hardest part to understand: which character suits my playstyle the best?

Here’s what’s so different about this RP, characters are preset; they’re merely rentals. Once you choose to sign-up for a character, it will be yours to control for the battle. The player expects to write dialogue for every character they sign as throughout the whole RP. If a character name appears in more than one roster that each correspond to a separate battle, you are allowed to use that character again if you like.

Using any character is fair game, but signing up for a more familiar character to write dialogue for is recommended. A Smash Bros. player is probably more likely to choose Marth than Ephraim for example.

Players sign up for a designated character, detailed in this chapter.

Once a battle is over, a new set of units will be up for the next battle. Sign up again if you choose to pick a new unit from that selection, otherwise waiting for a new one is completely optional.

If your player character dies in battle, don’t worry. You can choose a new character in the next battle after the battle in which the character dies in is completed, whether it was a win or loss.

A form template is detailed in the spoiler here.

Spoiler

Character Name:
User:
Boon:
Bane:

Boons and Banes can be any 8 of these stats: HP, STR, MAG, SPD, SKL, DEF, RES, LCK

Example using Lachesis from FE4 in spoilers.

Spoiler

Lachesis - Sword, Staff
Stats:
HP: 39/39 | STR: 28 | MAG: 32 | SPD: 25
DEF: 22 | RES: 30 | LCK: 26 | SKL: 31
CRT: 15 | AVO: 50 | HIT: 144 | MOV: 5
Inventory:
1. Steel Sword (Active)
2. Recover
3. Vulnerary x3
Skills:
Live to Serve
Hone Magic
Rally Resistance

Here’s further explanation:
Name - Weapon Types Usable (Special Commands)
Stats
Inventory - up to 5 items - (reorder by listing things in a different number order. “1.” is always the active weapon.)

Skills - up to 5 skills that can trigger for enemies or players

List of commands units may share (bold are universal):

Spoiler

Movement (terrain movement will be detailed in the spreadsheets)
Staff (for staff users who want to heal)
Rally (unique command for Rally skills)
Shove (for Shove skill)
Swap (for Swap skill)
Pivot (for Pivot skill)
Reposition (for Reposition skill)
Aid (for Reciprocal Aid skill)
Convert (for Harsh Command skill)
Sacrifice (for Ardent Sacrifice skill)
Wait (self-explanatory, end your movements and actions)
Attack (attack enemies within range)
Item (change order of weapons and items in inventory, may use consumables using this command)
Open (use designated key to open a door or chest)
Trade (exchange weapon items between adjacent allies and reorder both of their items)
Dance (allows adjacent ally that doesn’t have this skill can move again)

3. How to Prepare for Battle

Spoiler

Battles come with objectives and a set theme. Every 6th battle is an anything goes.

When Player Phase begins with the “PLAYER PHASE START - TURN X” header, players are allowed to move characters as needed and indicate where and who to trigger a battle with.

When all player actions are finalized as in one says “Our turn has ended”, “PLAYER PHASE RESULTS - TURN X” show up and show damage calculations, inventory organization, boosted stats, etc. Dialogue made by players for their character can be made at that interval up until the point the enemy phase ends.

The enemies are controlled by the GM. Their actions begin when the post with the header “ENEMY PHASE START - TURN X” appears. “ENEMY PHASE RESULTS - TURN X” signal their end of their turn and details how much damage they deal to the players or how much they heal up their comrades.

Third person POV is recommended, though I don’t mind a “Character: Dialogue” process.

4. Gameplay Mechanics

Spoiler

Weapon triangle:

Advantage: +1 DMG, +10 HIT
Disadvantage: -1 DMG, -10 HIT

Usual weapon triangle (advantages or disadvantages will be noted in results)
Swords, Tomes > Axes, Bows
Axes, Bows > Lances, Daggers
Lances, Daggers > Swords, Tomes

Weapon Types:
Physical: Swords, Axes, Lances, Bows, Daggers, Claws
Magical: Tomes, Breaths, Staves

|Maps, movement, and battles function like FE.
FE stats are present, as detailed in the 5th entry.
No Trinity of Magic is present, all tomes are grouped into one category in the weapon triangle.
Rescues are not present.
Uses, levels, stat growths, experience, weapon ranks, and supports are absent.
Consumables stack in response to complete absence of uses.
Single RN used for CRT and skills. Two-RN is used for HIT.
Most calculations are based on Awakening’s values and formulas.
Staves are nerfed formulas based on their Fates versions.
Swapping units are allowed before battle. (ex: swap places with Nino)

Positions follow here.

Battle #1 - Objective: Rout the enemy

Note: All unit rosters are in spoilers.

Spoiler

Olivia - Sword (Dance)
Stats:
HP: 36/36 | STR: 28 | MAG: 32 | SPD: 33
DEF: 27 | RES: 26 | LCK: 35 | SKL: 29
CRT: 14 | AVO: 67 | HIT: 142 | MOV: 6

Inventory:

1. Steel Sword (Active)
  2. Armorslayer
  3. Vulnerary x3

Skills:

1. Luck +4
  2. Swap
  3. Life and Death

Celica - Sword, Tome

Stats:
HP: 39/39 | STR: 30 | MAG: 32 | SPD: 35
DEF: 22 | RES: 22 | LCK: 21 | SKL: 27
CRT: 13 | AVO: 60 | HIT: 125 | MOV: 4

Inventory:

1. Arcfire (Active)
  2. Vulnerary x3
  3. Panacea x3

Skills:

1. Rally Resistance
  2. Speed +2
  3. Pass

Lucius - Staff, Tome

Stats:

HP: 37/37 | STR: 25 | MAG: 32 | SPD: 30
DEF: 13 | RES: 35 | LCK: 19 | SKL: 32
AVO: 55 | MOV: 6

Inventory:

1. Mend (Active)
  2. Shine
  3. Numb
  4. Concoction x2

Skills:

1. Live to Serve
  2. Hone Magic
  3. Hone Defense

Gordin - Bow

Stats:
HP: 43/43 | STR: 31 | MAG: 25 | SPD: 31
DEF: 33 | RES: 18 | LCK: 26 | SKL: 28
CRT: 14 | AVO: 59 | HIT: 118 | MOV: 7

Inventory:

1. Brave Bow (Active)
  2. Firesweep Bow
  3. Vulnerary x3

Skills:

1. Shove
  2. Bowbreaker
  3. Bowfaire

Gwendolyn - Lance

Stats:
HP: 49/49 | STR: 30 | MAG: 21 | SPD: 24
DEF: 38 | RES: 28 | LCK: 29 | SKL: 22
CRT: 41 | AVO: 50 | HIT: 120 | MOV: 4

Inventory:

1. Killer Lance (Active)
  2. Defense Tonic x1
  3. Vulnerary x3

Skills:

1. Swordbreaker
  2. Armored Blow
  3. Pavise

Edited by NoahStratos
Minor edit to the previous shortening edit

...I expected the prospective players to sign-up...

Anyways, small update from me:

I planned ahead and started working on the second battle and its components. The player units are more than the first battle's batch: 8 in total.

Also, the first battle's map has been finalized. There will be blur on the player units, may instead resize player units via image editor, rather than via office suite for the next battle.

13 hours ago, Erren said:

Character Name: Reinhardt 
User: Erren
Boon: MAG
Bane: LCK

Two things I might point out about this:

1. Reinhardt isn't a playable character (well, in this battle. Olwen would be more likely to be on the player side in future maps)
  2. If you were planning on using the Dire Thunder tome anyways, Gordin might be your best bet. Both weapons they carry (by default) double the number of consecutive attacks they can perform.

I didn't want to type this out... but with the Feedback sub-forum practically dead, I ask this...

Why am I not getting enough interest/players? The text's been rewritten and revised about a few times and I'm starting to question whether or not taking a different approach to Fire Emblem-based roleplays was really a good idea, especially considering limits one can take with a character. If there's constructive criticism that need to be said, please reply. I took the time and looked for other common practices on this site to revamp my text, and revised the spreadsheets I had made for the occasion, so please help get this to where I can get enough players for the first map.

You're likely not getting people because none of us want to play already established characters. We RP because we like exploring our own ideas. That, and the active RPs are taking all of the consistent RPers time away from them. There's not much room to fit in fanfiction RPs.

41 minutes ago, SnakeMomMelissa said:

You're likely not getting people because none of us want to play already established characters. We RP because we like exploring our own ideas.

I originally penned this project as focusing on established characters based on a plethora of different franchises/series ala Project X Zone, though as that video game series contains an Original Generation of its own, I fear implementing those kind of units could be a bigger task; I doubt adding original characters could work in a crossover roleplay by the setup I currently have now.

43 minutes ago, SnakeMomMelissa said:

...and the active RPs are taking all of the consistent RPers time away from them.

I can get behind this actually. It's most likely how user traffic works in this subforum...

44 minutes ago, SnakeMomMelissa said:

There's not much room to fit in fanfiction RPs.

I'd really like to respond to this, but not sure if there's a certain difference between fanfics and RPs you recognize here, as this uses Fire Emblem mechanics.

1 hour ago, NoahStratos said:

I didn't want to type this out... but with the Feedback sub-forum practically dead, I ask this...

Why am I not getting enough interest/players? The text's been rewritten and revised about a few times and I'm starting to question whether or not taking a different approach to Fire Emblem-based roleplays was really a good idea, especially considering limits one can take with a character. If there's constructive criticism that need to be said, please reply. I took the time and looked for other common practices on this site to revamp my text, and revised the spreadsheets I had made for the occasion, so please help get this to where I can get enough players for the first map.

I think there are a couple of problems with your set up. It's rather self-indulgent, you've presented a scenario that suits your tastes and a character pool of your own choosing. It may be something that you like the idea of, but it's reasonably clear that it doesn't appeal to many other people. It's been stated already, but RP here tends to use original characters over a longer period of time. When you're using "rentals", it feels like you're playing to a script rather than writing for yourself! Another issue is that your focus seems to be game-play rather than role-playing. Typically this board has leaned towards a reasonable balance between the two.

In short, your idea struggles to engage other people. It might be something that you like, but it's other people you need to get interested!

It's been a while...

Just letting the critics know I'm currently working on retooling the spreadsheets to provide a more free selection of traits for characters and reintroduce FE staples that weren't in the RP originally (Weapon Ranks, Classes). The weapons, skills, and items had already been completed at a previous time; need to rewrite the whole first topic and work on classes and it should be ready to go. Also, there's also some plans for OC implementation with characters that turn from ordinary civilians from a different world to soldiers specializing in different classes from the Fire Emblem continents the further the story goes.

I also realized the previous iteration had no sense of progression. Probably jumped from 10 to like 15 Mt. I think I made the right choice...

• 3 months later...