Can somebody tell me the appeal of this game?

Køkø

No offense, but I genuinely want to know why people enjoy this game so much. I see so many people enjoying this game and I get jealous because I feel like I'm missing out. If you've the time, please enlighten me.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's basically a celebration of the franchise and it's also really fair as a gacha game. There are never any pay-to-win moments, and it's possible to do even the hardest of missions with just 3-Stars if you play your cards right.

For me, it's the art. Gameplay is enjoyable and the game has new events consistently to keep us playing, but seeing different artists come to work for this spin off title is nice. It's interesting to see how other artists take on characters.

Another thing is... Bragging rights, I guess? Pulling rare characters, getting who you want, being a higher rank than others, creating monstrous units. There's a lot of fun to telling others, "Well, I'm this, and I have that, and I did this" Even if it isn't me most of the time...

For me it's mostly just the fact that it's  a Fire Emblem game. That may sound dumb, but having played games in the franchise for over a decade, it's really fun to collect and use my favourite characters, get re-introduced to characters I had overlooked in the past, or to get exposure to characters from the games I haven't gotten around to playing/completing in the series.

For someone who may not have played the series very much, the game holds up very well as a gacha with great gameplay and a lot of realy fun potential customization with how you play. And future updates promise to make it even better! August is going to be a great month to start with loads of free orbs (in-game currency) coming and great characters being more available in the near future.

it's Fire Emblem and i like Fire Emblem. though i think i would've gotten kinda bored with it if there wasn't a community to talk with, strategize, and all that stuff. it gets stale otherwise, for me. i remember when i first started playing, my roommate was still really into the game so it was fun because we both played and could rant/brag to each other. then later he stopped playing much and my interest likewise fell off quite a bit, until i discovered this forum. he recently started playing again tho so that's nice

I like this game a lot because it is Fire Emblem-lite. It isn't as deep as the main series but it plays nicely enough and the whole "use your favorite characters from every game" has a nice appeal to it. It helps that the gacha system is pretty fair (in terms of gacha, it's still a cash-grab but I don't mind it) and the in-game content doesn't require you to pull for S+ tier characters which means everyone can have the same rewards if they put the effort to get them.

Bragging about pulling rare characters, although I only have one that I can brag about so far in my signature.

The gacha mechanic is very addicting, and the Stamina system reinforces that addiction.

I can play it anywhere.

It has a lot of characters from across the series.

I recommend staying away from this game if you have poor self control. This game is what Anna would have came up with to take your money.

I just like collecting the characters. Then raising them up with some cool skills. If this wasn't a fire emblem game, but instead some franchise I have some fringe awareness of, I doubt I would play it. It's a good time waster in between major game releases, and I very much enjoy the regular events like Grand Hero Battles and Tempest Trials where I get new stuff just for playing well instead of sheer luck.

For me, it's the fun gameplay and being able to make a team with all my favorite characters from throughout the series. I can make Ike and Freddy fight together with Ephraim and Ryoma! Heck, I can do Freddy x Female Robin Emblem! lol

I can make teams of my favorite classes too. I'm making a Horse Emblem team since I like cavs a lot (and Horse Emblem is really good in this game). I also like Peg knights a lot, but not many Pegs I actually like are in the game yet (still waiting for Elincia, Marcia, Fiora, Sigrun, Tana, and more). I'll make more 5 star cavs and Peg knights eventually too!

And it's also that it always has something new and fun to do, whether it's a new game mode or a new character I pulled and would like to train.

Edited by Anacybele

• Collecting your favorite characters
  • Getting to use your favorite characters from multiple FE games together in the same game
  • The gacha system isn't as painful as a lot of other popular gacha games, plus they give out free orbs relatively generously
  • The simplified Fire Emblem gameplay is still fun
  • It's kinda got the Pokemon vibe of building your teams and character builds alongside the collecting aspect

Also, after looking at your avatar, I'll tell you building Peri into a monster is a lot of fun

3 minutes ago, Raven said:

Waifus and husbandos. People like to materialise other reasons, but it all boils down to this.

That's not a reason for me at all, thanks. So I'd like you to only speak for yourself.

Edited by Anacybele

What everyone else said, but also the fact that the team-building aspect is really addicting if you're into that, like I am. You can make your units learn all sorts of different skills, and it's fun to think about which ones work best with certain characters and how to have good team synergy. It has some similarities to Pokemon in that sense.

I should probably throw this into the dedicated questions topic, but it is possible to just turn off the voices and silly cutesy lines characters spout? If I can do that, then I might be able get over the questionable artistry and actually DL this game. Though I'll wait until the soon to come but not yet revealed Magvel banner first. Not saying I'll be the most dedicated of players or anything, but I'll join in. I already have some general team ideas I'd like to toy with if possible (I'll ask about them in the dedicated topic later).

Edit: And how about story skipping from the get go?

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

13 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I should probably throw this into the dedicated questions topic, but it is possible to just turn off the voices and silly cutesy lines characters spout? If I can do that, then I might be able get over the questionable artistry and actually DL this game. Though I'll wait until the soon to come but not yet revealed Magvel banner first. Not saying I'll be the most dedicated of players or anything, but I'll join in. I already have some general team ideas I'd like to toy with if possible (I'll ask about them in the dedicated topic later).

Edit: And how about story skipping from the get go?

I'm fairly certain that you can both turn off the voices and skip all of the story dialogue (which there isn't much of in the first place).

I enjoy looking at the art and the sprites, some of them have good details in the chibi sprites, like that is the reason of why I want Summer!Leo, he has good art and his chibi sprite cover his eyes from the sun, he is the only one that do that... Too bad I will never have him :/

Another reason is well, having my favorite characters together and the "surprise" of what are you getting while summon, it can make you happy or it can make you angry, idk, I think is fun.

And then is Fire Emblem on movile! I think it have a little charm in playing a small version of the actual games.

But mostly, I find the charm in the artworks and the chibi sprites.

That's just me

It's nice to be able to build a team with your favorite units from across the series if you can get them, and even if you can't, you might find yourself warming up to someone else in the process. New, more modern art and voice acting are great ways of breathing life into old characters while new ones can also find themselves with a new, fashionable look. Of course, there are some characters who don't fare quite as well. My heart goes out to all Lloyd fans.

Plus, the gameplay's good. It's a simplified Fire Emblem, but it still offers plenty of content and a lot of fun challenges.

Main story mission 12-4 can take a hike though.

Edited by Thane

For me, it's a combination of some of the things people above me have said. First, it's Fire Emblem. That's enough in itself, thanks to me being a tiny bit obsessive. The tactical gameplay is all there. Secondly, the gacha. It's such an amazing rush when you pull a 5* that you wanted, or when you can tell your friend that you have a +1 +Atk -Def DB3 Reinhardt and a +1 +Spd -Def Desperation 3 Nino, while they only have +Spd -Atk on Nino and +Res -HP Reinhardt. Yeah, I'm smug sometimes.

I'm playing this as a guilty pleasure, I love Fire Emblem and am sad it turned into one of the despicable mobile games, and would actually recommend people to not touch this game, if anything else solely on the premise of not supporting gacha games. I tried it now, find it very manipulative and unrewarding, with inconsistent outcomes. It's a gamble pretty much to get what you want, it deviously lures you in, and I never liked things like that. If you get what you want and/or are disciplined enough to stay F2P or supporting it with a reasonable sum, good for you, but I wouldn't risk it on anyone when it comes to a recommendation. Anyways, yes, you can make a lot of things work, but since the implementation of Reinhardt (he isn't the only borked thing of course) I find the balance truly lacking and, true to its gacha nature, won't be fixed anytime soon (Imagine a power creep Reinhardt, lol) and will only get worse once the first bow knight appears.

Edited by MonkeyCheez3K

I like it because even though I haven't spent a dime on the game I have been able to create some really nice teams, I have pulled units from games I haven't played that I have ended up really liking, being able to play as some FE bad guys is cool. battling other players and seeing their teams is really great and having a friends list with players from around the world is fun I have more friends on my friends list playing the Japanese version then any other version which I find interesting and you can't do that in any other FE since they are region locked.  

2 hours ago, Raven said:

Waifus and husbandos. People like to materialise other reasons, but it all boils down to this.

2 hours ago, Johann said:

It's free Fire Emblem.

What more reason do you need?

It's Fire Emblem, so I'll play it. As a gacha game, it's also much more user-friendly compared to other titles.

I think it has good gameplay, but the main appeal for me is trying to collect all of my favorite characters from across the series. I also really like how most of the maps are just modified forms of maps from the games. It's just a great homage to the series.

Edited by CriticalMiss

Free to play, easy to carry around, mechanically similar, surprisingly accessible from a FTP standpoint, the sheer variety of units even at this early stage, being able to make a favourite a superunit by taking SI into account. I can get why it's gotten some people (myself included)

Bringing units from different worlds together? Putting Roy in the same party as his parents? Being able to use both Robins in the same party? Little stuff like that can also have appeal.

I wouldn't feel bad about not getting into it. I wouldn't call it an essential title either.