Jump to content
Køkø

Can somebody tell me the appeal of this game?

Recommended Posts

  • I love how the gameplay works from the intersection of skills and low movement and WT being super important; and all the movement assists <3
  • Cute sprites.

That's it. That's the game.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's basically everything you loved about FE comprised into a tiny little celphone game, coupled with smaller maps, narrowed-down movement to go with it, adorable fucking chibis, actual voices given to character we've never heard speak before (this was big for me), a variety of good and different artstyles. In terms of gameplay, the game is relatively balanced with most characters filling in their role and no one really falls behind, as well as a lot of variety with Skill Inheritence.

 

There's just so much to do. It gets better as you get better at it. When I was really new to it, I was all for it, and now even more so. It's also done in a way in which, as someone else mentioned, there's no actual "P2W" moments- you're mostly in it for your own entertainment purposes.

And, hell, what's not fun about having a crossover of all your favourite characters you may or may not get (again, part of the fun)?

If you narrow it down to "waifus and husbandos", that's shitty taste speaking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Raven said:

Waifus and husbandos. People like to materialise other reasons, but it all boils down to this.

Haha. That too.

I came for the Lucina waifus and I stayed for the Reinhardt husbandos.

1 minute ago, Soul~! said:

If you narrow it down to "waifus and husbandos", that's shitty taste speaking.

I would not call that shitty taste. It is not an art form everyone can learn to appreciate, but it is definitely the opposite of shitty if it can bring home the dough.

Edited by XRay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, XRay said:

Haha. That too.

I came for the Lucina waifus and I stayed for the Reinhardt husbandos.

I would not call that shitty taste. It is not an art form everyone can learn to appreciate, but it is definitely the opposite of shitty if it can bring home the dough.

Oh, I didn't actually look to offend. Thing is, it falls far from the tree to being an actual reason. The game has a lot more to offer, and I dislike degrading it to that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Soul~! said:

Oh, I didn't actually look to offend. Thing is, it falls far from the tree to being an actual reason. The game has a lot more to offer, and I dislike degrading it to that.

Ah, okay. I see what you mean. I would not call it degrading though, since many great games utilize the waifu and husbando appeal as their primary selling point. Kantai Collection and Touken Ranbou are waifu and husbando games respectively, and if you strip away the virtual spouse appeal, the game is pretty much just a grind fest that appeals only to history buffs who likes warships and/or swords.

Having great game mechanics is nice, but a game also needs an art direction, story, emotional appeal, "soul," or whatever else you need to attract and keep player engagement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Soul~! said:

9mFHrze.thumb_png1.7a2806e40415d6fa89f89

Exactly. Although if it was Lucina with a cute wink, I would have called it "love" instead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, XRay said:

Exactly. Although if it was Lucina with a cute wink, I would have called it "love" instead.

You're thinking Sharena.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Soul~! said:

You're thinking Sharena.

No. I want them to make a new Lucina and give her a cute wink like that. It does not have to be a heart next to the wink, but a sparkle in the eye or sticking out her tongue to drive home the cuteness would be nice.

Sharena has a cute wink too, but she is not Lucina. Hm... I have never seen Sharena that way before, but I do have a thing for blondes. I will add her to my waifu collection.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, XRay said:

Sharena has a cute wink too, but she is not Lucina. Hm... I have never seen Sharena that way before, but I do have a thing for blondes. I will add her to my waifu collection.

I thought I was the Sharena guy around these parts.

Anyway, answering the question: it’s Fire Emblem neatly scaled down, with cute adorable sprites running around, voice acting, and artwork for every character.

Add in the crossover factor and the aforementioned waifus & husbandos, and everything falls into place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Køkø said:

No offense, but I genuinely want to know why people enjoy this game so much. I see so many people enjoying this game and I get jealous because I feel like I'm missing out. If you've the time, please enlighten me.

Because I spend too much damn money in this game!    >:(

 

That aside, this game is helping me a lot to be expose to the Fire Emblem lore. It made genuinely interested in Julia, Reinhardt, the Renai's Twins, & Katarina.

That & this is the game that cause to get an account this website, so it feels pretty special......to a certain extent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

best gatcha game out there along with gbf, but less grindy

 

imho half of a gatcha comes from being part of a community and feeling yourself "grow" along with the Others, sometime you get your ego boosted because you pull superstrong, sometimes you feel down because everyone else in the planet got what you wanted and you did not: the point is that you have to work with what you have and take every challenge without giving up with the good mix of strategy and planning, and the up and downs of the journey kinda MAKE the game itself.

 

it's the reason why I feel like paying too much completely ruins a gatcha: keeping a balance with your resources makes every win more exhilarating and competing overral funnier. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Vaximillian said:

I thought I was the Sharena guy around these parts.

Anyway, answering the question: it’s Fire Emblem neatly scaled down, with cute adorable sprites running around, voice acting, and artwork for every character.

Add in the crossover factor and the aforementioned waifus & husbandos, and everything falls into place.

There is one Sharena for every player. There is no way you can hog them all.

I agree with the cross over factor too. Although there is no game mechanic that supports shipping, players can still ship Reinhardt and Xander together in their head canon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, XRay said:

.I recommend staying away from this game if you have poor self control. This game is what Anna would have came up with to take your money.

 

...ya know, I coulda had this be told to me 2 months ago...

 

Anyways, the thing I like about this game, despite having a few issues with it, is the same thing I like about all Fire Emblem games: the possibilities. Yeah maybe there will always be that one "ultimate" thing a unit can do, but I still like trying to come up with alternatives. Plus it has expanded my "favorite" FE characters much further than what Awakening/Fates/Echoes have been able to alone.

...plus I caved and downloaded when I learned Nowi was in the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Xenomata said:

...ya know, I coulda had this be told to me 2 months ago...

Anyways, the thing I like about this game, despite having a few issues with it, is the same thing I like about all Fire Emblem games: the possibilities. Yeah maybe there will always be that one "ultimate" thing a unit can do, but I still like trying to come up with alternatives. Plus it has expanded my "favorite" FE characters much further than what Awakening/Fates/Echoes have been able to alone.

...plus I caved and downloaded when I learned Nowi was in the game.

Me too. If I knew how much of a money sink this game is before, I would have not played it at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I knew going into this it was going to be a money sink for me. I still don't regret it xD I've known people spend literally hundreds of pounds just on drinking at the weekend, with nowt more to show for it than a sore head and a very sorry liver. I put my money into this instead. 

For the appeal... I think everything's been said. The only thing I would like to add is that I'm still astounded by the sheer amount of effort that has gone into this. Everyone's received a new dub - both in English and Japanese (it's the only English speaking dub I can think of, although there may be some of which I'm not away). Everyone has gained new art (some a few more times than others). They don't usually forget the guys when doing seasonal things, either, which isn't fully rare, but still isn't as common as I'd like it to be, either. The sprites all have their own little actions - some unique ones that just fit so perfectly with the character. The maps have been scaled down from the games. You can win everything even f2p (apart from maybe the one competitive area, the arena, but I know f2p players who are far better than me at it) - many gacha games hide prizes behind rankings so only the top players get things and f2p lose out to whales. Not forgetting they are fair compared to most gachas - they give plenty of orbs free already but they're doing a free pull per banner, too.

Lastly, some people aren't into it, but I do enjoy the story. It's a fun little read, and the excuses for seasonal characters can be downright hilarious. I really, really hope they add more interactions between characters in the future, though. Xander and Lucina was quite a cute little read, for instance :) And the Annas screwing over poor Anna in the beach ones did make me giggle. It keeps me hooked to see what might be next, and I also eagerly await any new characters :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The main appeal for me is being able to get my favorite heroes, put them together in a team, and build them to their max potential. I still have some characters I'm waiting for, but I hope to have my absolute favorites together in one ultimate team one day...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/6/2017 at 0:30 AM, Køkø said:

No offense, but I genuinely want to know why people enjoy this game so much. I see so many people enjoying this game and I get jealous because I feel like I'm missing out. If you've the time, please enlighten me.

Here are 10 reasons why I love Fire Emblem Heroes as a whole in a rational sense:

  • It's a mobile Fire Emblem game. Many of us have been longing for a chance to play FE on the palm of our mobile phones. Also, one of the only mobile games I play.
  • It's brings heroes from all FE games including Thracia 776 and Shadows of Valentia. Brings a ton of variety to the table.
  • All units are well-designed. Including voice and its exclusive art made by various artists. Most of them are very lovely. It brings nostalgia for older games to appear here. Care has been taken on every single unit so that all units are unique in their own rights.
  • A truly Free-to-play game. Units are simply defined by a clear 1-5 stars. No SR+ qualities and whatnot. The highest rank has a base of 3% chance of pulling; much more forgiving than most gacha games. Lower ranked units can be upgraded to that same tier by investing time and effort to gain that sweet 20.000 feathers. There is a certain love or care for your units as you see them grow.
  • Skill Inheritance. Adding yet another step in the variety is the ability to spice up your units, your way. It may be costly in investment costs, but if you're passionate about your favorite character. I know you'll do it anyway for the sake of creating your penultimate character.
  • Generous amount of stamina. 99 Stamina, 1 every 5 minutes. This number ensures that every players will have plenty of time to enjoy the game for a good while. There are also stamina potions, obtainable by quests and daily log-ins, which can give you an extra 99 stamina that can be saved up for when you need it!
  • Fantastic difficulty spread. Each chapter in the story will gradually become more challenging, and as your unit grows, as a seasoned player, you can take on truly challenging maps that will test your tactician skills. If you're more casual, the game offers you with Normal, Hard, and Lunatic difficulty for ALL content to ensure EVERYONE can enjoy the contents. Of course, being a more skilled player yields more rewards, so the game wants you to become better and you'll be rewarded handsomely! :D
  • Effective rewards. Each quest visibly helps in the long run, with rewards such as orbs and feathers, stamina potions and dueling swords, and even units and sacred seals, they all have effective immediate usefulness for your demands.
  • Arena. The game's form of PvP. Not live, but instead you'll be pitted against the enemy's defensive team controlled by AI. This creates lots of breathing room for the player so that you can focus on raising units without worrying about live battles. It's also scaled towards your team's overall strength, ensuring that you will (almost) have a chance to prevail in the fight.
  • Exciting & Accessible Events. Grand Hero Battles, Voting Gauntlet, Tempest Trials, Paralogues, new summons~ All of these are exciting events that anyone can enter, barred by only your Stamina! No tickets required!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On August 6, 2017 at 9:20 AM, XRay said:

There is one Sharena for every player. There is no way you can hog them all.

@Vaximillian you can have my Sharena if you can figure out how to get her off my account - I don't want her, I have 40 slots for whichever characters I want and I still have too many people to choose from out of just the small number I've obtained.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 05/08/2017 at 2:36 PM, Armagon said:

It's basically a celebration of the franchise and it's also really fair as a gacha game. There are never any pay-to-win moments, and it's possible to do even the hardest of missions with just 3-Stars if you play your cards right.

It's F2P if you just do the main missions and some paralogues, but after sinking deeper into Arena, Tempest Trials and challenge modes, if you don't have a good team of SI units you're wasted (whereas if you do, the game becomes easy). That is, unless you are Light, Lelouch or dondon (in which case you shouldn't need to do any grinding. A team of level 1 Alphonse/Sharena/Anna/Virion would be enough to break the game). Getting a good team of SI units requires money or 10x the effort/time you'd take if you paid IS for orbs. F2P players can hardly hope to get even close to the meta game.

That said, I still find it fun (when IS isn't inventing new ways to screw with emulator users with each passing week). The "appeal" is pretty much being a fun FE game with the same formula I know and love + mixing my favorite units together to tackle on challenges. The art is also good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Rapier said:

It's F2P if you just do the main missions and some paralogues, but after sinking deeper into Arena, Tempest Trials and challenge modes, if you don't have a good team of SI units you're wasted (whereas if you do, the game becomes easy). That is, unless you are Light, Lelouch or dondon (in which case you shouldn't need to do any grinding. A team of level 1 Alphonse/Sharena/Anna/Virion would be enough to break the game). Getting a good team of SI units requires money or 10x the effort/time you'd take if you paid IS for orbs. F2P players can hardly hope to get even close to the meta game.

That said, I still find it fun (when IS isn't inventing new ways to screw with emulator users with each passing week). The "appeal" is pretty much being a fun FE game with the same formula I know and love + mixing my favorite units together to tackle on challenges. The art is also good.

Bouncing back and forth between Tier 18 and Tier 19 is completely doable for free-to-play players. Camus, Cecilia, Ursula, and Xander are all given to you for free. You can even switch out one of the melee cavalry for a free Olivia. The amount of Feathers they throw at you should allow you to 5* all the ponies within a few months. Hone Cavalry, Life and Death, and Quick Riposte are also free, and if you save Gunter, Hana, and Subaki for Grand Hero Battles,they can all be easily obtained as 3* pulls. Gronnblade, Blárblade, Moonbow, and Fortify Cavalry are also easily obtained from Nino, Odin, Palla, and Jagen.

Getting the best Sacred Seal in Tempest Trial is definitely doable with the free cavalry team.

Chain Challenges might be a little more difficult, but with the amount of free Orbs the game throws at you, you should have a decent number of 5* units to help you out with the easier ones.

Staying in Tier 20 is still pay-to-play territory.

Edited by XRay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, XRay said:

Bouncing back and forth between Tier 18 and Tier 19 is completely doable for free-to-play players. Camus, Cecilia, Ursula, and Xander are all given to you for free. You can even switch out one of the melee cavalry for a free Olivia. The amount of Feathers they throw at you should allow you to 5* all the ponies within a few months. Hone Cavalry, Life and Death, and Quick Riposte are also free, and if you save them for Grand Hero Battles, Gunter, Hana, and Subaki can all be easily obtained as 3* pulls. Gronnblade, Blárblade, Moonbow, and Fortify Cavalry are also easily obtained from Nino, Odin, and Jagen.

Getting the best Sacred Seal in Tempest Trial is definitely doable with the free cavalry team.

Chain Challenges might be a little more difficult, but with the amount of free Orbs the game throws at you, you should have a decent number of 5* units to help you out with the easier ones.

Staying in Tier 20 is still pay-to-play territory.

Getting enough Hero Feathers for the task is very hard when you are F2P. Most of those skills come from units that are easy to get, but are mostly also 5* locked. That means 20K feathers go down the drain for each one. If you want a team of 5* free units, it takes 80K feathers + 20K feathers for each unit you wish to sacrifice for SI.

Ok, I won't exagerate. It isn't that hard to get good units, and you don't really need a team of 5* units. The above mentioned cost is completely unnecessary. The hard part is actually readying those units for combat in higher difficulties. SI is absurdly expensive and chances are the right units for SI are 5* and hard to get. That makes acquiring skills very hard. Without the right skills, your units won't survive the hardest Tempest Trial challenges (although I think the stat inflation was toned down, so the penultimate one is doable), nor Chain Challenges and struggle with Lunatic GHBs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Rapier said:

Getting enough Hero Feathers for the task is very hard when you are F2P. Most of those skills come from units that are easy to get, but are mostly also 5* locked. That means 20K feathers go down the drain for each one. If you want a team of 5* free units, it takes 80K feathers + 20K feathers for each unit you wish to sacrifice for SI.

Ok, I won't exagerate. It isn't that hard to get good units, and you don't really need a team of 5* units. The above mentioned cost is completely unnecessary. The hard part is actually readying those units for combat in higher difficulties. SI is absurdly expensive and chances are the right units for SI are 5* and hard to get. That makes acquiring skills very hard. Without the right skills, your units won't survive the hardest Tempest Trial challenges (although I think the stat inflation was toned down, so the penultimate one is doable), nor Chain Challenges and struggle with Lunatic GHBs.

The Arena and events gives you well over 20,000 Feathers a month, and the game gives you well over a 100 free Orbs per month. Getting everything set up in 4 months is totally doable. Life and Death 2 and Quick Riposte 2 work almost as well as their tier 3 version. Hanas and Subakis are not that rare as long as you are not sniping.

You do not need to do Lunatic 7 battles to get the best Sacred Seal rewards in the Tempest Trials. It will take a bit more grind, but it is doable. And now with the triple points every day for the first two battles, it is definitely a lot less grindy than before.

There is no time limit on Chain Challenges, so you can do them on your own pace as you get stronger units.

Lunatic Grand Hero Battles are a joke. Just look up strategy videos on YouTube, and many players there can solve that puzzle with free 4* units. For Infernal, once you get your pony team to 5*, that becomes a joke too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rapier said:

Getting enough Hero Feathers for the task is very hard when you are F2P. Most of those skills come from units that are easy to get, but are mostly also 5* locked. That means 20K feathers go down the drain for each one. If you want a team of 5* free units, it takes 80K feathers + 20K feathers for each unit you wish to sacrifice for SI.

Ok, I won't exagerate. It isn't that hard to get good units, and you don't really need a team of 5* units. The above mentioned cost is completely unnecessary. The hard part is actually readying those units for combat in higher difficulties. SI is absurdly expensive and chances are the right units for SI are 5* and hard to get. That makes acquiring skills very hard. Without the right skills, your units won't survive the hardest Tempest Trial challenges (although I think the stat inflation was toned down, so the penultimate one is doable), nor Chain Challenges and struggle with Lunatic GHBs.

You don't need to spend that many feathers since so many good skills can be obtained from 4* units (Fury, Vantage, most (all?) breakers, Moonbow, Death Blow, cavalry buffs, etc). Sure, the best weapons are locked to 5*, but even then I've been able to promote a couple of units to 5* just so that I could pass their weapons to a different character. And I'm completely F2P. You just need to be devoted enough to do all of the content that the game offers you in order to get the feathers and orbs you need.

Edited by Sproutling
Clarity

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...