Looking to get Xenoverse 2

Sage of Ylisse

So, I have Dragon Ball Xenoverse and I honestly want to buy the second but I'm slightly unsure about actually purchasing the game. To those who actually own it, How is it? How does it compare and what does it excel at better than the first Xenoverse game?

From what I've gathered it's more of an improvement and expansion of the first game, rather than a straight up sequel. If you have the first, the asking price might not be worth it, as I read the quests are recycled and some other things. 

I think if you liked the original Xenoverse, you'll love Xenoverse 2; it literally is a better version of the original in just about every aspect.  If your feelings on the original are kind of iffy, I'd recommend you look at DBFZ instead, especially if you're more looking for a hardcore DBZ fighting game.  I will say that what DragonLord says is correct; a lot of PQs are recycled, and some missions (or parts of missions, at the very least) are as well.  And while much of it is improved over the original, even the RNG crap (I don't think special ends for PQs are chance-based anymore), it's still at its core a game meant for grinding, and the PvP from what I hear is absolutely garbage.

I've seen it being sold from anywhere between $20 to straight up $60.  Specifically, I've seen it for $50 on Steam, and $40 for a PS4 version in Gamestop.  A quick Google search led me to some Steam keys for the game on G2A for around $25, but I'm unfamiliar with the site.  In any case, unless you buy the DLC, I don't think you'd be paying much more than $50 for it.  For that price... it might be worth it if you really like Xenoverse or have nothing else that you're burning to get.

I could elaborate more on what XV2 is if you want.  I just don't want to write a bunch of paragraphs if I don't have to.

The combat flows far better now. I just recently run the first game again so I feel confident in saying that the first game feels really stiff by comparison.

The AI can actually fight back now. In exchange the AI actually plays by the rules now and no longer has infinite Ki and Stamina. Super armor has also been completely ditched, so the combat is now actually fair. Also Super Saiyan no longer gives you infinite Ki, so Ultimate spamming is no longer an issue either. Nevermind that using an ultimate now leaves you wide open, so an enemy can easily use that opportunity to break your stamina with an Aura Dash. So if you use an ultimate, you have to make sure that it connects or the AI will make you regret it.

The AI has also been changed so that it no longer gangs up on you. This can be blessing or a curse depending on the situation. Especially since it also applies to your allies, so they might end up doing nothing but watching as you are getting pummeled. Fortunately that's not much of a problem once you realize that your allies will immediately interfere once you disable your lock on.

But most important of all, drops during PQs are now far more lenient. But I am still not a fan of that kind of boring repetition.

Oh, and they finally added a proper training mode. That was really overdone.

With that said, the game is still missing some basic features you would expect. The simple VS. CPU mode is still just as barebone as in the first game. There is still no option to change the 3 minute time limit or the AI. And the Dragonball characters characters still have their special moves tied to their costumes. The only thing they added is the ability to select the music during combat. So I hope you liked those PQs because they are still what the game mostly revolves around. And those new Expert Missions really aren't a good addition as far as I am concerned.

I'm not sure if I can really recommend this game. Don't get me wrong, I did spend hundreds of hours onto this game. But this is mostly because I am playing the PC version and therefore have access to the power of modding, which allows me to address many issues of the game. With those amazing modding tools that are available these days it's easy to disable the time limit, change the moves of characters or even add all new characters, costumes and special moves without having to replace anything.

Edited by BrightBow

57 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

I think if you liked the original Xenoverse, you'll love Xenoverse 2; it literally is a better version of the original in just about every aspect.  If your feelings on the original are kind of iffy, I'd recommend you look at DBFZ instead, especially if you're more looking for a hardcore DBZ fighting game.  I will say that what DragonLord says is correct; a lot of PQs are recycled, and some missions (or parts of missions, at the very least) are as well.  And while much of it is improved over the original, even the RNG crap (I don't think special ends for PQs are chance-based anymore), it's still at its core a game meant for grinding, and the PvP from what I hear is absolutely garbage.

I've seen it being sold from anywhere between $20 to straight up $60.  Specifically, I've seen it for $50 on Steam, and $40 for a PS4 version in Gamestop.  A quick Google search led me to some Steam keys for the game on G2A for around $25, but I'm unfamiliar with the site.  In any case, unless you buy the DLC, I don't think you'd be paying much more than $50 for it.  For that price... it might be worth it if you really like Xenoverse or have nothing else that you're burning to get.

I could elaborate more on what XV2 is if you want.  I just don't want to write a bunch of paragraphs if I don't have to.

I'm looking into the PC version since I have a computer good enough to play it. But that's good that it's not just a simple 1 to 1 remake with some new polish slapped on to it. But yes, Please to elaborate more, I wanna know what has changed.

23 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

But most important of all, drops during PQs are now far more lenient. But I am still not a fan of that kind of boring repetition.

This line alone makes me wanna buy the game even more, I've grinded the mission for Vegito's clothes so many times in Xenoverse it wasn't funny. there were even times where I'd end up well within the constraints of Vegito showing up with absolutely nothing happening Of all the times I've ever played that damned PQ I still don't have the fucking pants for it.

Speaking of clothes, that has been changed somewhat as well. Clothes still have stats but they are now overwritten by a new type of item called QQ Bang. If you have a QQ Bang equipped, the game will completely ignore the stats from the clothes you are wearing. So you can now wear whatever you like without it affecting your performance.

QQ Bangs are created by "merging" clothes. Their stats depend on the stats of the clothes you used to create them. But unfortunately there is still a lot of randomness involved in their creation.

Edited by BrightBow

48 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

Speaking of clothes, that has been changed somewhat as well. Clothes still have stats but they are now overwritten by a new type of item called QQ Bang. If you have a QQ Bang equipped, the game will completely ignore the stats from the clothes you are wearing. So you can now wear whatever you like without it affecting your performance.

QQ Bangs are created by "merging" clothes. Their stats cresemble the stats of the clothes you used to create them. But unfortunately there is still a lot of randomness involved in their creation.

That'll be interesting.

1 minute ago, Sage of Ylisse said:

Please to elaborate more, I wanna know what has changed.

Alright, then I will, but be warned that I've got a lot to say as you can probably see; enough that I've contemplated putting it all in spoilers so as to not clutter the thread.  Also, I definitely recommend the PC version; it's just superior in every way, especially if you actually do have a decent computer (I only got a GTX 750 and i3-4130 processor, yet the game runs 60 FPS no problem).  If you want mods go search "Xenoversemods" or "X2M" on Google.  You'll have to sign up to sites for either, but you don't have obligatory "pay for" mods or "actually interact with the community for x number of weeks" types of crap.  Just sign up, grab the mods, and go.  Easy-peasy.

Anyway, BrightBow did list a number of improvements already, so some of what I might say might overlap because I don't feel like going back and forth looking at his post and my own just to cut stuff out.

The first noticeable difference is the overworld.  Toki Toki city was really clunky, as you might recall; this time you have Conton City, which is bigger and better organized.  When you are first walking around in it, it'll feel like you're actually exploring a big, vibrant community with various landmarks instead of just a few "zones".  The main hub is significantly bigger; I'd say probably ten times bigger, and after a certain point in the story you can fly around in it as you please.  You still have minor loading times between some "zones", but PQs, the school (for tutorials and gaining ranks so that you can unlock more masters), and the stores are all in one "zone", and the loading times feel shorter on the PC.

Speaking of the school and masters, the master system has been immensely improved.  Instead of hoping the master you want will appear somewhere and having to hunt them down in different zones, they all hang out in the main hub at the same time, fully ready to give you lessons.  Not only that, you also no longer have to switch between masters for them teach you their skills, nor do you have to reach certain landmarks in appeasing them to learn from them.  But if you do choose them as a master, they will join you in battle when you get severely hurt in a PQ, and you'll get some other bonuses associated with them.  You have all the old masters available, and some new ones; the new ones all offer new and varied skills that actually aren't just different colored beams.

Back to Conton City, I was talking about "zones".  With Toki Toki City, the "zones" were the three different districts and the Time Nest.  This time, it's set up differently.  The primary areas are simply the main hub and the Time Nest yet again.  Though within the main hub, there are some little island platforms that warp you to different zones associated with each race.  They're essentially just a small part of the actual DBZ world, and they include: Hercule's House for Humans, Capsule Corp for Saiyans (featuring Bulma, who tells you about QQ Bangs), Guru's Home for Namekians, Buu's House for Majin, and Frieza's Ship for the Frost race.  These aren't too expansive places, but these are the places where you can do challenges, special quests, and eventually gain their respective transformations.

Like BrightBow said, the combat is improved quite a bit.  Outside of Expert Missions, there's no BS; no Super Armor, no gang-banging AI garbage, Saiyans don't have the disgusting advantage of infinite ki through transformation (though they do get three transformations this time, while the rest only get one exclusive to them and the universal Unlocked Potential), and it's all around just more fluid and pleasing.  You can chain strike supers into your combos, making them so much more satisfying to use (in fact, it almost makes ki supers boring), and there isn't an end-all super or ultimate that breaks the game.  There's still some BS; Expert Mission 15 is a total b**** that you need to cheese if you play offline, and online you need to hope your luck is stronger than game breaking glitches.  Otherwise, the fighting elements are definitely improved, and it feels more like a fighting game without it alienating those who are in it for the RPG elements.  Also, you will sometimes get fights with multiple "giant" characters (which aren't quite as clunky and dumb as they were before), though unfortunately neither Piccolo nor Slug get Super Namekian forms in spite of the fact that your avatar can.

PQs are much better.  Things are more likely to drop, and the Ultimate Finishes no longer are chance-based; once you fulfill the requirements, you are guaranteed to get the Ultimate Finish segment of the PQ.  So you don't get RNG stacked upon RNG.  They've done some other stuff to help streamline PQs, including setting you pretty much right next to the PQ booths when you've beaten one.  Like I said earlier, there are a lot of old PQs in this game, but they will feel funner to play through, and there's a number of new ones, especially in the DLC and through mods.

Speaking of clothes, there are more, obviously.  And the starting uniforms are better, imo.  Humans and Saiyans don't get just color-swapped versions of each others' starting outfits; Saiyans get their own colorable Saiyan armor, humans get an outfit that makes them look more urban and modern, and the other races get nice outfits as well.  I believe there are outfits for the latest characters, which include some DB Super characters and movie characters besides just swole screaming baby man.  Obviously mods can give you more outfits and more characters, surprisingly without much hassle.

All around, it's just a much better game than XV1.  As many have said, it's what XV1 should have been.  Some still give it flak.  Heck, I watched TFS Plays go through the whole game, and almost through the entirety of it Lanipator was issuing complaints about it.  But I'll say again; if you liked or even loved XV1, you'll really love XV2.

TLDR; better clothing, better combat, better and more interesting city, better master system, RNG is better, no RNG for Ultimate Finishes, and more content.  A better Xenoverse.  Not perfect, but greatly improved over the original.