is FE more about luck than strategy?

Harvey

14 minutes ago, Køkø said:

Can you explain how Marth is broken?

FE3 doesn't have a Weapon Triangle, so Marth isn't really going to be at a disadvantage unless he gets attacked from afar. Then the Starsphere shards can help his level ups. Then there's the Fire Emblem, which buffs his stats.

15 minutes ago, Køkø said:

And I thought Warp shenanigans were more of FE1/11 thing.

They are but they can cheese parts of FE3/12 as well.

16 minutes ago, Køkø said:

Bantu is garbage and Tiki isn't available until the last of those chapters.

Bantu is ok. Tiki is better and she's actually available midway through the game.

17 minutes ago, Køkø said:

The salt in the wound is that I frequently miss them at 70-90 range and they consistently hit at sub 50. And as aforementioned, they NEVER get hurt by the Devil Axe. Maybe it's just me but it happens every time, every playthrough. 

That's just you having bad luck then. This has never really happened to me. Characters like Navarre and Ogma can deal with the Barbarians quite well.

I mean not entirely. Yes there are moments where luck plays a factor such as a dodgy boss and when the RNG is stacked against you, it makes you wanna curse like a sailor. Then again I'm terrible at strategy so I'm sure it's just a matter of being more prepared. There are ways to get around dodgy-ness and other luck based factors by increasing your units luck and skill as well as having more than one unit capable of chipping away your enemy until 0.

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

FE3 doesn't have a Weapon Triangle, so Marth isn't really going to be at a disadvantage unless he gets attacked from afar. Then the Starsphere shards can help his level ups. Then there's the Fire Emblem, which buffs his stats.

Understood. He's still not broken though. Also, it's weird how the Orbs are more powerful separate than together. I wish you can could keep them after killing Hardin.

7 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Bantu is ok. Tiki is better and she's actually available midway through the game.

I'll try him on my next playthrough. I was complaining specifically about the desert/fire/ice dragon chapters though. You get her at the end of Ice chapters, and I think there's two more after that?

1 minute ago, Køkø said:

I was complaining specifically about the desert/fire/ice dragon chapters though. You get her at the end of Ice chapters, and I think there's two more after that?

Remember that there are extra chapters if you get all of the Orbs. As for the dragon chapters......just use Warp. Of course, you'll be missing items a lot but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

On 8/7/2017 at 2:46 PM, Armagon said:

They are but they can cheese parts of FE3/12 as well.

That's just you having bad luck then. This has never really happened to me. Characters like Navarre and Ogma can deal with the Barbarians quite well.

Don't forget that FE3 Marth has the movement of a promoted Hero/Sniper, meaning he has the highest indoor movement in the game at base. Waterwalk is especially useful in maps like chap 10 or chap 13, where he can cut the time it takes to beat the map in half.

Tiki is actually the most viable lategame bosskiller in a 0% Growths run as she only needs a power ring to cap power. Bantu on the other hand can OHKO Ice Dragons at base iirc, so he does have a use.

And about Ogma, he can promote as early as chapter 5 should you sell the hammerne (which can eat up a couple turns. And the hammerne isn't really that useful since it can't repair staves).

I like the way RNG is factored into this game. Im playing Awakening which is my first FE game.

While you're never sure if your chosen strategy will work, you can try and build a strategy which puts most of the odds in your favour. 

This thread in a nutshell: "It's a bit of both."

I mean if it was purely strategy without the luck element it would kind of be like heroes gameplay. You can essentially just coordinate and plan out everything, without any real challenge. You would know what you can and can not do, and that wouldn't really make it that challenging.

Edited by Logos

Mostly already covered, but yeah strategy is much more important than luck in most Fire Emblem games. PC hit rates are high enough (especially utilising weapon triangle advantage) that you can usually create quite safe strategies. You can pretty much always deal with enemy crits by either having high enough crit avoid or enough defence to tank the hit (or occasionally, just killing them before they can attack).

On 8/7/2017 at 11:43 AM, Anacybele said:

Though I won't deny that FE sometimes takes the luck factor too far. I'm looking at you, PoR Black Knight. Who the hell had the bright idea to make it so the only way Ike could beat him was to get lucky and trigger Aether?

Wrath is more reliable than Aether for that fight, though. It allows Ike to crit the BK, and considering what you have to do to activate it, you would only need about 3 crits to KO the BK. And considering that it's about a 50% crit rate for each Wrath crit, unless if I'm mistaken, you should get crits from about half of the amount of hits needed to defeat the BK.