What's wrong with MT.BATTLE?

DisobeyedCargo

I've been watching a playthrough of Pokémon XD Gale Of Darkness by Chuggaaconroy, and every time MT.BATTLE comes up, he complains immensely and says that it sucks. Why is it that MT.BATTLE sucks?

Mt. Battle is a 100-fight marathon in a game that has double battles exclusively and no way to turn off animations. Even though you can save in-between matches (or at rest stops in Colosseum), it's still going to drag on for a long time.

Just his particular interpretation of the feature. It's pretty grindy and yeah, animations are always on. Like any 100-battle marathon, it takes a large amount of time and the prizes in my opinion don't really make up for that time investment. Besides the fact that it's much easier than a lot of other post-game content, is it worth complaining about? Not really, it's mostly there to get you to keep playing the game (think Battle Frontier, Battle Tower, etc. in main series games) and you don't have to play through it if you don't want to.

14 minutes ago, I'm a Spheal said:

It can get tedious sometimes, especially if you want the Gen 2 Starters (All 100 battles in a row without leaving I think) and it's the only grinding area with Pokemon over level 50 in XD. At least they heal you after every battle.

All 100 battles in a row without leaving and with no way to turn animations off... Wow, the complaining is justified.

24 minutes ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

All 100 battles in a row without leaving and with no way to turn animations off... Wow, the complaining is justified.

Haven't played anything past the 5th Gen, did they ever institute animation speed adjusters? (And don't say the Doduo/Dotrio Stadium GB modes.) One thing I love about the Bravely games, as well as FE, is that they give you the option to speed things up significantly (and woe to FF7- one thing the remake better fix is not being able to skip summon animations- Knights of the Round takes so long you could order a pizza before it ends).

Chugga did the gamecube pokemons? I was wondering if they were on his list when I used to watch him.

I adored MT Battle as a kid playing the game. It was the most convenient way to grind exp and shadow levels, and the "trial of executive battles" was a gaming trope I enjoyed in Paper Mario TTYD and Wind Waker. I also remember doing the colisseum challenge that awards you a Ho-oH in Colosseum, I bet that Ho-oh is sitting in my pokemon bank along with everything else I progressively transferred up the generations. Plus the setting changes every 30 or so levels. And Gale of Darkness awards you with some helpful TMs every 10 levels

I don't think Mt Battle would be necessary for a standard pokemon game. Since you can grind wherever and are always traveling to new areas. I'm sure players would appreciate Mt Battle as a side activity they could do throughout their playthrough, but probably would be judged as too similar or not as engaging as the Battle Tower/Subway/Tree you go to in post game. They would have to combine the two concepts.

On 8/7/2017 at 4:09 PM, Interdimensional Observer said:

Haven't played anything past the 5th Gen, did they ever institute animation speed adjusters? (And don't say the Doduo/Dotrio Stadium GB modes.) One thing I love about the Bravely games, as well as FE, is that they give you the option to speed things up significantly (and woe to FF7- one thing the remake better fix is not being able to skip summon animations- Knights of the Round takes so long you could order a pizza before it ends).

The only thing Pokémon offers in that regard is simply turning battle animations off. Makes battles go by a lot quicker. You also had the option to get rid of "Trainer is about to use this Pokémon, would you like to switch?" for more a challenge.

• 2 years later...

Hi I know I'm way late to the game, but my dad just found my pokemon XD in storage and of course I had to start it back up and play it again! #nostalgia

My only issue is I've completed area 3, three different times, and for some reason when I get to the door to move on to area 4, it won't let me, and it says I still need to complete area 3... Has anybody else experienced this?