Video game condition

Ronnie

How important is the condition of your video games? Do missing manuals, generic cases or scratched discs bother you?

I prefer getting my games brand new. However I really get bothered when I get a brand new game and there's already a small dent or cut on the case. If only the plastic wrapping provided sturdy protection lol

As long as it plays fine, I am also fine. But if it's a game I really like, i prefer to have the original case and all. Sadly, my copy of Klonoa (Wii) is in a generic GameStop "used game" game. Poor Klonoa.

For me, as long as the game works is all that matters. Having stuff like the box, manuals, etc, is a nice bonus, but in the end, what matters is the game itself.

I really prefer having the original case, at least. A scratched up disc is unacceptable. Also, for older games, the more of their original packaging and manuals included the better. At the end of the day, though, as long as the disc is in good condition, everything else is just extra.

Ultimately, I prefer it to be in relativity good quality as well as complete in box, but it's not a necessity and I will buy used/poorish condition if I have to. Though when it comes to disc games (or DS style carts) original case is a must otherwise they're too difficult to organize.

I don't really care as long as the game works. Like, my used copy of Radiant Dawn was listed as being in "good" condition and not "like new". The game does tend to cough up a bit when loading combat animations, as in it takes a while to load and the system makes loud noises while playing, but that just might be the case with all copies of the game. But other than that, I have no complaints. I'd rather buy a game in decent condition than buy an unboxed copy from a scalper and pay extra for that.

Of course I do like keeping the games I bought as brand new from gamestop etc in good condition but that probably goes without saying.

I have a dozen or so generic cases for PS2/GCN/Xbox stuff. For some reason all of my 7th-8th gen games have original cases. Some of my PSX and PC games have Paper dvd  sleeve cases.

I have many, many PS2 and Gamecube games that are show scratched to the visible eye but still run well. I have a smaller number that can freeze randomly but mostly work well ,I call them 40 minute rule games( Bully, Steam bot Chronicles). Some of these can be played normally except for one specific crash-heavy area (graffiti kingdom).

Because of this experience, I will accept scratches on discs when  buying from used game stores (because of 1 or 2 week return policies), because  I find that many of them will still run. When using amazon and the like I won't risk buying scratched discs. I've bought a lot of games with original cases but no manual. I find that non-PC games have lazy manuals with only a few exceptions (Warioware, Soul Reaver, Colony Wars, Steambot Chronicles) While PC games have manuals that are endlessly readable, I'm talking about 40 page monsters like the BG2 or the Tie fighter manual. Therefore I never miss them. 

The vast majority of my cartridge games, console and portable are unboxed. I think the only exceptions are Conker, Turok, International Superstar Soccer, Jet Grind Radio (GBA) and Gunstar Super Heroes (GBA). Some of my n64 / GBC / GBA games have faded stickers. For N64 I tend to write the name of the game on the top in sharpie anyway, and I've done so at least twice for GBC when the sticker completely came off. I think one of them was Oracle of Seasons.

For discs I like to have the original case with the game in working order.  For cartridges just the cartridge with the label is fine.  Although sometimes those reseller stickers suck to get off especially cartridges when they are on the front.  Goo Gone is your friend.