Fire Emblem Burnout

Ronnie

No this isn't about a FE racing game.

Do you ever feel burnt out after playing a couple Fire Emblem games or tactical RPGs in general? I could play an action RPG for 4 hours straight per day but after finishing Awakening, Birthright and soon Conquest in one year I think I'll need a FE break.

Most common burnout points in FE:

Conquest Chapter 17 and beyond- each chapter could take up to 90 minutes to complete and are difficult even on Normal, and there's no guarantee that changing your strategy is going to affect the outcome in your favor.

Blazing Blade Chapter 26E/28H- This is pretty infamous as it was the first time westerners got stuck in such a way. Fail to prepare, and you should prepare to fail.

Path of Radiance Chapter 17- 4 interconnected maps and only being able to add units.

Sacred Stones Chapter 19- massive defense map with a lot of reinforcements and not a lot of time to grab all of the chests.

Revelation Chapters 16 and 17- a back to back double header with no saves.

My main FE Burnout was Fates. Trying to marathon through Conquest, Birthright, and Revelations all in one go (in the same month or so) was a bad idea, not to mention even trying to do "post-game completion files" on all three.

While I managed to beat Conquest and Birthright, I never got around to finishing Revelations. The gimmicks killed it for me, and my planned Revelations postgame file did not get the resources I wanted for "My Castle." My Conquest & Birthright post-game files have some progress but are not done the way I would have liked.

I said I'll head back to them one day, but I haven't really touched Fates since it released. I have Shadows of Valentia and Heroes as alternatives.

14 minutes ago, Sire said:

My main FE Burnout was Fates. Trying to marathon through Conquest, Birthright, and Revelations all in one go (in the same month or so) was a bad idea, not to mention even trying to do "post-game completion files" on all three.

Man that's crazy lol. I took about a full year to finish all three routes of Fates.

I've been feeling that often as I work through the franchise. Every time I finish a FE game, I'd like to jump onto the next one, but because of how long each game generally is, I find I need to take a break.

As for individual maps in games, so far I'm only playing a chapter of FE4 a day, and even then I wait a couple more before starting the next one.

I did two runs of SoV when I got the game, I've started another with Celica + males and Alm + females, but I can't bring myself to complete it at the moment due to burnout. I haven't ventured into Thabes on either of the two postgame files- partly because I've heard it's a drag, and because if I need to do any grinding, I don't want to do it because SoV is a chore in this regard.

I also find myself always burning out on RD around the start of Part 4. And I've got a two incomplete Conquest files- one males-only Hard and the other is Lunatic with supports grinding and BP/VP rewards, both having stopped at the Wind Tribe.

For turn based RPG  the maximum that I can play is five hours.Due my playing style of carefully thinking of my every move, and the consequences it will bring. As for Fire Emblem, like most of the media that I consume, I take a several weeks break for each installment. So I wouldn't be fatigued by a franchise. I play  generally four to five chapters in a sitting. After a couple for years I revisit a something that previous watched or played that I enjoyed to  see if I can find any new ways to appreciated it. That is how I avoiding having a burnout.

I remember that I took a several week long break in the middle of my first revelation playthrough and RD part 4 almost always feels like a chore before the tower of guidance. I swear the way I play FE I am just building units for the endgame. I hope that post games are more of a thing in future instalments, because I think that RD would have been nice.

No, I can't relate. All of these like minds are starting to make me question myself. I play Fire Emblem almost everyday, am I healthy?

3 hours ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

Man that's crazy lol. I took about a full year to finish all three routes of Fates.

A year? Really? Just for the main stories? 

Yeah, I definitely had a burnout blowing through all three versions of Fates back to back to back. Only took me about two months as I remember it. Though the bigger burnout wasn't so much me as it was my wallet. I spent eighty dollars to play those three games!

I've been avoiding Fire Emblem burnout since the Direct in January that re-ignited the spark. Heroes gets updated with new modes so often since its release, I did a casual run of Sacred Stones while waiting for Echoes, Echoes was better than I expected, Warriors, looks like...a work in progress but I'll play it, and I'm extremely ready to play the first Fire Emblem game in high definition - not counting spinoffs TMS and Warriors.

Edited by Gustavos

6 hours ago, Ronnie said:

No this isn't about a FE racing game.

Dammit...

Anyways, the most burnout I felt was after beating Awakening, and to a lesser extent, Fates. It took a solid half a year for me to want to get into another SRPG/FE game after Fates. Awakening, I don't think I played through any Strategy/FE game pretty much until Fates came out.

33 minutes ago, Gustavos said:

not counting spinoffs TMS and Warriors.

Not gonna lie, I accidentally read that as Tin Megami Sensei lol. Idk why I find that so amusing xD

A FE racing game would be... interesting.  Marth/Chrom/Lucina DLC for MK8 Deluxe confirmed?

I don't necessarily get burnt out by the series as a whole, but...

There are points where I stop playing the game for a while.  Revelation in particular tends to slow down tremendously between C16-18.  Obviously the back to back levels are kind of horrendous to go through, but I eventually find good cheese for them.  But once I get to Valla, if I hadn't already assembled whatever 2nd gen units I wanted to, then it becomes a grind to get them.  Otherwise in Fates, I'll find I slow down during any of the particularly challenging CQ chapters, the goddamn ninja chapter of any path, the wind tribe chapter of CQ and Rev, or the opera hall chapter of CQ or BR.

As for others... in Awakening, I slow down tremendously once I get Lucina.  And SoV... well, I haven't played that more than once, really.  I did one run to try to defeat Desaix at Zofia Castle (which, btw, the original ending for doing that remains the exact same, amazingly enough), and I acquired Faye just to see what it's like.  SoV doesn't really have the same replayability that Fates, Awakening, or even the DS remakes do.

Awakening I never felt burnt out of, well until I started playthrough number 4 where everyone is going to know every possible skill and be at max caps promoted before I challenge Gangrel. Anyways with Fates I almost immediately felt burnout. Birthright actually felt like a chore to play yet I still forced myself to play and beat it just so I could play revelations with semi-decent hopes. Conquest was fine until I got to chapter 12, then it got really hard. So much so for me to progress I literally had to spend 4 hours grinding units up to promoting and have decent weapons, that took a few months, Revelations was my most enjoyable out of the three because it felt proper. Anyways I refused to beat Revelations until conquest was done, so all the way back in October one night, I felt like beating revelations, so I literally said screw it, and speedrunned through the last 5 chapters of conquest (speaking of which, as hard as conquest was, it felt really fun on a few maps, like Hinoka's, and my units were way stronger then my birthright ones, maybe even revelations but a few of those units were over-leveled and had some OP skills) Echoes the only burnout I feel is trying to grind for shards/legendary weapons. I would say grinding everyone up is a chore but I found a way to make it go by pretty fast (basically one unit deals with all the enemies on the hard grinding map, and then healers like priestess's/sages surround them from the non-dangerous side, and Tatianna is in the middle with a mage ring so she can fortify/physic someone if needed)

Act V of Echoes burnt me out to the point that I had no more good will towards the game because of how tedious and repetitive it got; I put on auto-battle after awhile.  As well as most of Celica's maps after Act II. It depends on the game really, I'm more likely to get burnt out on a game I'm not completely high on quicker than one I'm loving; especially on the first play-through.

I don't think I've ever experienced FE burnout. The closest I think I came to burnout was needing to take a break from Fates after finally beating Conquest because of Conquest's late game BS, and that was brief before I went back to Revelation. It probably helps that my FE playthroughs tend to be fairly spaced out, usually a week or two between finishing one and starting another unless the TRPG bug bites me.

I've burned out on FE a few times.  I burned out on Awakening after grinding all the supports and didn't get back into FE until I grabbed a copy of FE7.  I burned out on Fates after getting 2/3 of the way through Revelation and didn't get back in until I did another file of Conquest.  Haven't burned out on Echoes because I don't play it often enough, but let's see what tackling Thabes Labyrinth does to me.

Excluding spin-off like TMS and the upcoming FE Warriors, I kinda am burnout on the series right now. Awakening, Fates and SoV felt that came too close to each other with very little breathers in between.

I know we're getting FE Switch next year, but I really hope the series takes a break after that. Maybe let IntSys work on bringing back Advance Wars or try some new projects. Heck even some other FE spinoffs/collaborations would be a nice variant to the series.

I say give Squeenix a call and make Theathrhythm Fire Emblem!

5 hours ago, Jave said:

I say give Squeenix a call and make Theathrhythm Fire Emblem!

Do people really have that much of a fondness for FE's OSTs? I saw this recommended a few times in the spin-offs thread, but I've never really been a huge fan of the FE OSTs, and it never gets the same kind of love that FF's or even DQ's(Which I also thought was a bit of a stretch for a Theatrhythm game) OSTs do.

FE rarely even puts much attention into its OSTs like those two franchises, and the time it emphasized it the most(Fates), it seemed like people were generally pretty iffy on it.

If anything, the thing I DO like about the FE OSTs is how understated they are. They're not giant, bombastic pieces, and it fits with the slower, methodical pace of a strategy game. Which would be really at odds with a rhythm game.

I do like the idea of more spin-offs, though... just as long, as, you know... it's not just Awakening characters.

Edited by Slumber