Fire Emblem Burnout

Ronnie

10 hours ago, Slumber said:

"Do people really have that much of a fondness for FE's OSTs?"

I know I do. FE is the only series that doesn't have a single bad track across its entire lifespan.

Edited by Køkø

9 hours ago, Slumber said:

Do people really have that much of a fondness for FE's OSTs? I saw this recommended a few times in the spin-offs thread, but I've never really been a huge fan of the FE OSTs, and it never gets the same kind of love that FF's or even DQ's(Which I also thought was a bit of a stretch for a Theatrhythm game) OSTs do.

FE rarely even puts much attention into its OSTs like those two franchises, and the time it emphasized it the most(Fates), it seemed like people were generally pretty iffy on it.

If anything, the thing I DO like about the FE OSTs is how understated they are. They're not giant, bombastic pieces, and it fits with the slower, methodical pace of a strategy game. Which would be really at odds with a rhythm game.

I do like the idea of more spin-offs, though... just as long, as, you know... it's not just Awakening characters.

Every FE has its big hits, its low points, and its sea of forgettable mediocrity in the music department- like most games. And of course, people are going to disagree over what constitutes good and bad. I'm fond of RD's soundtrack, but I will admit that at times it does shove too much into a composition and does so in a cacophonous manner.

I hit a huge burnout with Fates. I played that game for a while, went through at least 3 playthroughs if not more. Testing out different class combos, pairings, the various routes, PvP, My Castle, etc. Lots of different reasons to do different playthroughs. After a while I hit a burnout and havent been able to play it longer than maybe a few minutes. Just no, after more than half a year I am thinking of playing it again due to Ghast's Rev randomized playthrough.

I hit a FE burnout as a whole after beating SoV once. After that, I just didnt feel like playing through Fates or Awakening again, or SoV. Radiant Dawn and Path of Radiance didnt really hit the spot either. So I just put FE up for a bit.

13 hours ago, Slumber said:

Do people really have that much of a fondness for FE's OSTs? I saw this recommended a few times in the spin-offs thread, but I've never really been a huge fan of the FE OSTs, and it never gets the same kind of love that FF's or even DQ's(Which I also thought was a bit of a stretch for a Theatrhythm game) OSTs do.

FE rarely even puts much attention into its OSTs like those two franchises, and the time it emphasized it the most(Fates), it seemed like people were generally pretty iffy on it.

If anything, the thing I DO like about the FE OSTs is how understated they are. They're not giant, bombastic pieces, and it fits with the slower, methodical pace of a strategy game. Which would be really at odds with a rhythm game.

I do like the idea of more spin-offs, though... just as long, as, you know... it's not just Awakening characters.

I like Fire Emblem's music, but it isnt something that would get me to buy an entire game based on it like FF would. Fire Emblem is my second favorite vg music just underneath FF, and that is because I think Uematsu is really a under appreciated musical genius. He really made some amazing music, and because it is video game music it really gets overlooked. Fire Emblem hasnt ever really come close to that. Its good, but not award winning. I think the big thing Fire Emblem has going against it is there are a lot of generic tracks. Just nothing special about them, they just exist to fill in some silence. FF on the otherhand, each one is meant to set a mood, invoke some type of emotion. They have a purpose.

Now I would like if they started releasing the soundtracks outside of Japan. I would definitely buy that.

Edited by Tolvir

On Theatrhythm, the original game only had around 3-5 songs per FF game, while the sequel/expansion upped things up to include almost every major track of every game, so I think FE definitely has soundtracks big enough to justify a game as big as the original. The only problem I have with FE OSTs is that a lot of tracks (mostly battle ones) loop too quickly, so they probably don't fit as well on a Theatrhytm game unless they remix them. I'll say the Jugdral games and the 3DS games have the best soundtracks, and I would buy a rhythm game based on those alone.

Although bear in mind I'm a sucker for Theatrhythm, so I would buy any game on that series (still mad TR DQ wasn't localized, had the 3DS been region free I totally would have imported). In fact, one of my dream games is a Theatrhythm All-Star Nintendo game, along with Nintendo Vs. Capcom and an FE fighting game that plays like King of Fighters.

I only really burn out on a game if I don't like it very much to begin with and that's (usually) not the case with FE. I mean I like a lot of games, so it's not uncommon for me to go through long stretches of time playing games that aren't Fire Emblem but I wouldn't say it's necessarily because I'm burned out on it.

In general, I actually get quite burnt out from long or hard enough FE chapters. Though in most cases, I'll push myself to continue to the next chapter despite being mentally exhausted. I mean, even when it comes to easy but long chapters, I can't help but feel mentally worn down for some reason.