Just a little confusion (BR Vs C)

OzMaster

So I bought Awakening a few years ago, recently I picked it back up and since I hadn't played it in awhile I played it all on Casual, I know, how dare I. But I figured with a long flight next week I should get another FE game as well, so I thought Fates would do the job. I'm not a die hard at the strategy of the game, I just play them for the story, as the plot, coupled with the character development makes for some good, deep story telling. So naturally I thought I'd get Birthright, but after looking more at the game it seemed really, not me. I like the atmosphere of Conquest, the characters look more appealing, and above all else taking down a corrupt system from the inside out sounds better than good kingdom vs bad kingdom. But that leads me to my main question, if I buy the game, and just want to get the story, is playing on Normal-Casual similar to how it was in Awakening? (Since the difficulty screen says Normal is more for beginners to the series) Or is it much harder than that? And if so, is Phoenix mode any better? Any help will do, Thanks. 

Conquest is more like old school FE with newer 3DS concepts in terms of its gameplay (and is considered one of the best designed FE's to date in a gameplay perspective)

Birthright is more like Awakening 2.0 with its gameplay with marginal improvements.

Just like Jedi said, if you are playing Conquest try not to feel comfortable.Conquest does a gimmick in almost every level to keep you on your toes. Don't worry about playing Conquest on Normal-Casual, Conquest will be be a good challenge if your first Fire Emblem game is Awakening.

In Birthright most of the maps are played like Awakening. Where there are open fields, and most of the objectives are will everything or, just kill the boss. But what makes it different from Awakening is the re-balancing of certain mechanics (pair-ups, certain classes) in a few environment.

Edited by Jingle Jangle

3 hours ago, Jingle Jangle said:

In Birthright most of the maps are played like Awakening. Where there are open fields, and most of the objectives are will everything or, just kill the boss. But what makes it different from Awakening is the re-balancing of certain mechanics (pair-ups, certain classes) in a few environment.

Call me crazy but the only open field that I remember in Birthright was Cheve. All the other maps were either shared with Conquest like the Rainbow Sage castle or were non-open fields with obstacles like the ninja village or volcano.

To answer your question TC, Conquest is much more difficult than Awakening. Of course your mileage may vary but I played Birthright and Awakening on Hard/Classic with enough comfort but Conquest on Normal/Classic still gives me anxiety lol. Phoenix mode is really brain dead so I'd stick with casual mode if I were you. It'll be tough but not as tough as classic mode.

Edited by Ronnie

Just now, Ronnie said:

Call me crazy but the only open field that I remember in Birthright was Cheve. All the other maps were either shared with Conquest like the Rainbow Sage castle or were non-open fields with obstacles like the ninja village or volcano.

Correction, maybe the words "open fields"  is incorrect, what I am trying to say is that in Birthright, the maps are easier to understand.

7 hours ago, OzMaster said:

I like the atmosphere of Conquest, the characters look more appealing, and above all else taking down a corrupt system from the inside out sounds better than good kingdom vs bad kingdom.

Eh... don't get your hopes up for the story.  Lots of people say that CQ is the worst story out of all the paths, and I personally will tell you that the story doesn't really play out quite like the game's promotion material/eshop page/box describe it.  Though opinion on this is subjective; you might actually like the story.  I will tell you that the BR cast isn't all that shabby; maybe a bit more toned down than the CQ or Awakening characters, but it's got its gems.  Though again, it's subjective.

Anyway, to actually answer your question (and to get out of subjective territory a bit) it's like a lot of people are saying; CQ is much more difficult than what you're used to, even on Normal Casual.  And on top of that, unless you buy the DLC you can't grind at all, so if you don't level your units quite right you'll have a very hard time correcting your mistakes.  Phoenix Mode shouldn't be chosen unless you literally don't care a lick about gameplay, because there's absolutely no challenge whatsoever on that difficulty mode.

Plus, on the off-chance that you might want to play the other path after the first path, BR is a better place to start simply because of how difficulty progresses.  Just about everyone who played and beat Conquest first had a snore-fest playing BR.