Opinions on that Fire Emblem Echoes SoV Character #1-#52 (Check the OP)

Lukas/Catria: Might as well bless both in the same breath. Quiet characters that aren't criticised for such, again. Lukas is very organisation-oriented, while Catria just prefers her own company after being locked out of other conversations. The two are remarkably similar- except one is a pegasus knight and the other is an armour.

Jedah: You know, I think Jedah was a bit too impatient. He knew his end goal (to steal Celica's soul and kill off her friends), but forgot that there's a reason he should do it in that order. How fitting, considering he has the Duma's Gift skill- and yet, the fact he doesn't attack means he doesn't take advantage of it.
All in all, if he put in a bit more thought, he'd be invincible.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lukas: One of my favorite characters, he's calm, collected, and completely awesome. He's fleshed out very well, has good supports, and his story presence is very welcomed. As a unit, he didn't seem as good as Forsyth, but I still used him and he wasn't bad. His design is okay, too.

Catria: She's probably the Whitewing sister I relate to the most. I am also a middle child, and I am often the quietest of my siblings. I generally keep most thoughts to myself, I'm often beaten to the punch when there's things to say, and I have a harder time expressing my emotions. I can relate to Catria on many levels, and for that I appreciate and like her character a lot. And, like her sisters, I like her design, and she's a really good unit.

Jedah: He's an okay villain. His plan seemed more thought-out than some of the other villains of the series...at least at first. I mean...I dunno, some of it seemed kinda silly, but as a whole it was okay. He's certainly a better villain than anything in Fates!

Lukas: A calm, collected individual that honestly had more depth than i thought he would. Of course, i never got the Rise of the Deliverance DLC but i liked what i saw of Lukas' character.

As a unit, he was definitely my best Knight. By the time i reached the Deliverance Hideout, Lukas was ready to promote. People say Forsyth is better but honestly, i can't see it. Forsyth just always seems to fall behind. By the time Act 4 rolls around, Lukas is ready to promote into a Baron. 

Catria: Like her sisters, i knew her thanks to the Archanea games but it's thanks to SoV that i've really gotten to know her. She comes across as the quiet type and i can relate to that, to an extent.

As a unit, she was a slightly inferior Palla but she was alright.

Jedah: Jedah, Jedah, Jedah. A controversial character surrounding Celica's decision in Act 4. Two things i wanna point out. First, Celica trusting Jedah happened in Gaiden, so nothing could really be done about that. Second, a lot of people use Jedah's appearance as a point against him, but honestly, i think that shouldn't be the case considering his appearance is considered normal in-universe. Archanea has Gharnef and Gharnef looks just as inhuman as Jedah, yet no one in the game points it out. But as a character himself, Jedah was basically Gharnef, except he wasn't selfish and was actually doing what he did for the benefit of someone else (Duma).

As for the battle against him, well, i never beat him in the Swamps of Duma. That Dracoshield is too tough. I heard it's easy with Tigerstance, but that would mean taking the Zweihänder away from Gray. He made for a challenging battle in the final map, but Gray was the one to take him out (Tigerstance OP).

16 minutes ago, Armagon said:

As for the battle against him, well, i never beat him in the Swamps of Duma. That Dracoshield is too tough. I heard it's easy with Tigerstance, but that would mean taking the Zweihänder away from Gray. He made for a challenging battle in the final map, but Gray was the one to take him out (Tigerstance OP).

Ragnarok with Celica if you have it. You probably won't kill in one round, but a second round when he's vulnerable again should suffice.

Lukas

My favorite character in Echoes. He's splendidly written with an intriguing backstory, a charming personality with an interesting flaw that he occasionally worries about, and his voice actor is superb. What's more, Lukas, along with Python, was the ones who benefited the most from the DLC, showing different aspects of his personality and fleshed out his past even more. Really great stuff.

Catria

My favorite Whitewing. Calm, composed, yet struggles a bit to convey her emotions due to her upbringing, and she doesn't feel like she can open up even to her sisters about having and unrequited crush. Her art is also simply fantastic.

Jedah

Good lord, where does one even begin? I guess I'll start by saying that if Jedah had actually cut back on the evil dialogue, actually had the intention of trying to help Valentia, and not made us feel like his plans should never have worked at all - something he seems surprised over as well - then he could've been intriguing. Jedah should've been misguided, not evil. However, instead we have him ranting about creating a world of fear and chaos. I believe I'll just leave it at that.

Lukas: A Professional soldier from Zofia. I think he's okay, but has no special place in my heart. It just that I prefer the series other stoic characters than Lukas. As a unit I used him often in the early game , then dropped off when the map where larger.

Catria: The middle Whitewing. The middle child that always had been consistently good in all of her games. Strange she doesn't talk about her crush with Marth with her sisters, but with Kris of all people.

Jedah: I'm blue da ba dee da ba daa,  the oddly blueleader of the Duma Faithful. I don't know what to  make of this guy. At one point he is honest with that the Dragons cannot rule forever, and believes that Valentia cannot survive without Duma. Okay, then in the past sacrificed his daughters, and trick Celica into his plans. In end, he is another evil mage in a series that is filled with them. Fight him was annoying with all the summoning and that wield fourth hit can hurt him thing. 

Edited by Jingle Jangle

It's literally all Jedah's fault for making Celica look bad. I hate him. That stupid cartoon villain should've looked actually human and have some honor or at LEAST look the part. 

Lukas

What a great dude. Lukas is easily my favorite member of the starting party, no competition. He's got a really nice voice in particular, I think, though in a vocal cast as great as Echoes that doesn't necessarily mean much. It's a shame that the Soldier/Knight/Baron class is so bad in Echoes, though, because it didn't take long for him to stop being all that helpful. He never hit Valbar levels of terrible, but he struggled nonetheless.

Catria

My favorite Whitewing, hands down. I don't relate to the whole "middle child" thing or whatever, but I love her voice and great new design, boobplate be damned. I guess I'm a sucker for dedicated knight ladies. And while she's obviously Unrequited Crush Girl Prime, she at least doesn't constantly endlessly talk about it, so it's not a problem. She didn't quite equal Est or Clair in terms of sheer power, but she held her own decently by endgame, so she was pretty helpful to have along.

Jedah

There is a nugget of a good villain in Jedah, a character who could've worked at least on paper. He does actually have some motivation beyond just constant evil cackling, and some talent for schemes without dipping into Manfroy's literally-not-a-single-mistake-for-20-years level of scheming. But with that said, he's not really compelling in practice, and he's the main reason Celica's plotline derails so severely towards the end, as well as eroding all her agency and reducing her to "Alm's wife" once all is said and done. So I'm not terribly inclined to be generous to him, and I don't like his ugly blue design much either.

Edited by epilepsyduck

Lukas: An interesting character. He was not my favourite, but was fairly well done. His backstory was a really good explanation for his stoicism. As a unit, he was fairly good, though I ended up not using my barons by the endgame.

Catria: The one whitewing I kept up to the endgame. As a character, she was good. I like how she's not actually quiet; she just rarely gets the chance to speak compared to the other two siblings. As a middle child, I can sometimes relate (although it might also have to do with my high-functioning autism). I like her design for the most part. As a unit, she was alright; though none of my Pegasus knights turned out very well. I ended up mainly uses her to fight the eye monsters.

Jedah: Another generic evil mage villain pulling the strings to destroy the world, except not really. There are a few things that make him interesting. He is the epitome of the Duma Faithful: a human parasite mooching off of Duma's power. He knows that the dragons do not live forever, but he thinks Valentia cannot survive without Duma. But he doesn't care about Valentia; he admits he'll let Valentia fall to chaos if Duma's maddened mind wills it; all so that Duma remains alive so he and the faithful can keep feeding on Duma's power. When he talks about seeing the world fall to chaos, that's not his ambition: it's maddened Duma's 'ambition'.

So, his motivation is clear and understandable. Him being utterly despicable does not diminish him as a villain: him sacrificing his own family for power illustrates how much of a mooch he is, among other things. He's doing this for himself, not Duma. If he truly cared about Duma, he would have helped put Duma to rest. The problem is his plan. He knows Celica is a brand-bearer, and he somehow learns that Alm is also one despite Alm being in Zofia to keep the Duma Faithful from finding out about the brand. He has a minion create an earthquake that separates Alm from Celica. Good plan: divide and conquer. I also have no problem with him thinking he can be as despicable as he wants around Celica; he knows he has what she wants: Mila. He probably felt that, as long as he dangled Mila over Celica's head, Celica would follow. It was the way they wrote Celica; trusting Jedah to free Mila despite everything, that was poorly written. My problem is, how did Mila end up there? Why would Rudolf let the Falchion end up in the Duma Faithful's own basement?

Edited by vanguard333

Lukas: I like his personality and I enjoy his support with Clive as it highlights a trait of his that he feels both helps and hinders him as a person, which was an interesting side of the character to see. The Rise of the Deliverance DLC also helps him as his supports with Forsyth and Python flesh out his relationships with his family and friends as well as showcase some of his other hobbies such as enjoying reading rather then wielding the lance and he gets a great moment where he makes a good tactical decision that successfully gets them out of a tough bind. Both additions add a lot to the character and showcase other aspects of him that make him even more well rounded, and considering he already had a good base to build off of it made him one of my favorite characters once I was finished reading up on the story.

Catria: Like with the other Whitewings I didn't get as attached to her compared to some of the other characters, but I do sympathize with her feelings as the middle child as well as her unrequited feelings towards someone she knows she can't have. Both are interesting traits that make her relatable, and it did make her conversations nice to read.

Jedah: Honestly, he's just a few steps short of being a decent villain. He does genuinely seem to have some loyalty to Duma as implied by his pre-final map lines and fears a world without the gods, and he actually brings up good points to Celica when he tries to make the bargain with her. It's just that the story after the bargain makes him look confusing as a villain. Firstly, he states that he wants Duma to remain in power to create a world steeped in chaos and fear, which isn't what a sane Duma would want and actually would be more fitting of his current state. So he seems to lack an understanding of his own god's principles and makes him feel more like a leech then a proper servant. Secondly, continuing off of that the character only gets a spare few moments showcasing his more human traits like his loyalty in favor of highlighting his villainy, so we usually only get to see him doing the cliché evil laugh or scheming rather then highlighting his views or ideals on the preservation of the gods. Finally, due to the way the remake adheres to the structure of the original game, he still sends his minions and even attacks the group himself after making the deal, which makes him look completely untrustworthy to Celica and goes against his plan since he's trying to lure Celica through false goodwill and is yet hindering her trip. Ultimately, he ends up as a villain that had potential, but falls short because the story refuses to allow his good points to be expanded and instead stuck to the generic evil shtick.

Edited by Medeus

19 hours ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

He's certainly a better villain than anything in Fates!

Wonder how long it took you to come up with this one?

Anyway... opinions on the other characters!

Lukas: He's one of my favourite characters in the game personally. He's very likable, has a great backstory. And he's easily my favourite Greg Chun role in Fire Emblem. And he's rather attractive to boot! Haha.

Catria: My second favourite Whitewing really. I think she's a great example of a "stoic" character done well in Fire Emblem honestly, and I LOVE Julianne Alexander's voice for her too! Very different from her more timid and nervous-sounding Felicia I'd say. On a side note: her supports with Est are freaking hilarious XD

Jedah: I'm going to be honest, despite acknowledging the fact that he could've put in more of an effort to come off as less evil. I still rather like him as a villain regardless. (in fact, he's my favourite one in the game)

You can tell he's genuinely concerned for Duma's well-being. Which is more than you can say for Gharnef, and I love how he insults Berkut right to his face and gets away with it too! Always entertaining to see when other villains rather dislike each other IMO. And IDK what it is about them, but I just love the "manipulative wizard" characters in FE a lot in general. Always have really, haha.

Also I think it's absolutely amazing that Richard Epcar voices him and Walhart of all people. Jedah's the kind of guy that Walhart would want to kill on sight XD

Edited by HylianBelmont

Lucas

He's got such a beautiful, beautiful voice. I was surprised by how much I liked Lucas. Everything from his design up to his introduction made me think he would be the typical Jeigan I would bench once I was able. Lucas quickly won me over however, in part because of that voice. His personality is also rather well done, its hard to write a character with numbed emotions without making them apathetic but Lucas is quite the engaging character to me. We got his backstory, his relation with Clive and Fernant, his contrasting upbringing from Forsyth and a surprisingly chilling plan to bail his comrades out of trouble. 
Lucas was also quite daddass in his declaration to go without gods, saying how he'd personally plow the fields and won't allow himself to go hungry. 

Catria

She's a good example of the middle child and as such I don't find her all that interesting. She's overshadowed by her more colorful sisters. I know that's the point but that doesn't make it any less true. 

Jedah

I like Jedah. He comes off as strangely reasonable for a Gharnef. Rather then just cackle ''Dark magic!'' all the time he actually makes the effort to sit down with Celica and tell her what he wants, why he wants it, why its a good thing and how she doesn't have a choice either way so she might as well work along. He actually didn't have to any of that, just saying he had Mila hostage would have done the trick. 

Jedah also has a clear motive beyond being evil. He wants to protect and safeguard his beloved god. He also truly believes Valentia needs the gods and the alternative seems to frighten him. 

Jedah  does eventually fall however because he just can't resist cackling like a Gharnef. All that reasonably chatting with Celica soon gets replaced with him gloating about he wants a world filled with fear and despair. You'd have worked a lot better as a villain if you kept that to yourself, Jedah since your willingness to be kinda rational defined you in comparisons to your other Gharnefs. 
Wanting to kill Celica's friends isn't really a problem though. He does have a point that they would try to stop Celica and at that point Mae had already started a fight with Dolth exactly for that reason. 

The writing eventually lets Jedah down but that little bit aside I find a lot to like about him.

I'm curious- why does the middle child have to be the most muted of them all? Boyd was the most boisterous of his bros (or at least is tied with Rolf). I think you could come up with justification for any member of a trio being the most vocal or muted.

The eldest can be most muted because they have to show leadership, or the most vocal by virtue of their seniority. The middle child can be the most muted because they are stuck in between seniority and youth, or they could be the most vocal because they loathe the fact they're stuck in the middle and want to be heard (or they can just be vocal because it's part of their personality- Boyd and Farina). The youngest can be the most vocal because their youth lends them to being more energetic and wild, or they can be the most muted because they lack the seniority of their elder siblings and must obey them.

1 hour ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

About three seconds, Mr. Condescension! :D:

That's wonderful! Why waste your time replying to me then, when you could be putting your quick mind to better use? Like say, perhaps realising in another three seconds that two other unoriginal goofballs already used the same sort of anti-Fates villains diss?

20 minutes ago, HylianBelmont said:

That's wonderful! Why waste your time replying to me then, when you could be putting your quick mind to better use? Like say, perhaps realising in another three seconds that two other unoriginal goofballs already used the same sort of anti-Fates villains diss?

Because you directly quoted me, and I don't give a shit what quips anyone else posted.

Day 15 is now over, and with that we are now onto Day 16! With only few characters remaining, We're almost finished! This is the third to last day there will be daily updates will be go on.

Today's characters that we will discuss are Silque, Deen, and Mila.

What is your opinion on these three characters?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll give my thoughts on the characters now.

Silque: She has a pretty great backstory that is explained in all of her base conversations. Her mother was a cleric of the Duma Faithful, while her father was someone she never met. Silque and her mother had a pilgrimage in Rigel at one point, and they eventually ended up in Zofia. Her mother left her at a priory for unknown reasons, and it was Mila who looked after Silque since then. No wonder Silque become such a devout nun to Mother Mila!

I really wish Silque had some more supports. It's such a shame her only support conversation was wasted away with Faye shoving away any attempt of Silque of trying to befriend her, and as a result, we didn't really get anything good out of it. At least Silque has that one Memory Prism with Jesse. That was enjoyable to read.

Unit-wise, she started out with very low Defense, so I had to give her shield just to give her a boost with that. She was mostly a healbot early in the game. Later in the game, she had more uses once her Defense improved, slightly improving her combat abilities against potential Terrors as a result. Warp magic was a clutch skill to have, and so was Invoke. I mean, she summons illusory Dread Fighters! That's pretty cool! They were especially clutch in dealing with Nuibaba's map. She also made a good tank against enemy Arcanist and Witches.

Her design is quite nice for a nun, and her voice acting was good too.

Deen: I picked Sonya over Deen in my playthrough, so I can't say anything regarding my thoughts on him as a unit.

Character-wise? Well, let me just say this. I'm a sucker for edgy characters in fiction. Some characters that I like who are known for their edgy personalities include Saizo from Fire Emblem Fates, Levi from Attack on Titan, and Kiritsugu Emiya from Fate/Zero. Now, their edginess isn't the only thing I enjoy about them. I also like them because who they are as characters overall. They all have something more to them than just their edginess. Saizo had plenty of depth to his character, as we learned about a good chunk about his past and other traits he carries (like being a dorky and kind guy deep down, as shown in his supports with Sakura and Mozu). Both Levi and Kiritsugu too have fleshed out backstories (the former as revealed later into the series) as well as other aspects to their character (i.e. how their interactions with other characters play out, character development, other traits to them, etc.).

As for Deen? He is edgy, so it seems like I can be attached to him from the get-go, but when I read his support and base conversations... I was not impressed. In almost all of his base conversations and the majorities of his supports with Jesse (which is the only support conversation Deen gets by the way), all he does is shove away any attempt of another character trying to start a conversation with him. Thus, we learn almost nothing to him. His basic character comes down to being edgy and being a simple mercenary that only focuses on the task and that's it. Deen's A-support with Jesse implies Deen feels regret for killing innocents in the past, but even then, it's not enough for me to be attached to the character. 

His voice sounds odd too. He sounds like Squidward, and that's rather unsettling. I will admit that Deen has one of my favorite designs in the game. That purple and black combination looks cool.

Mila: Her biggest moments in the story included the cutscene when she was captured by Rudolph, getting sealed by the Falchion at Duma Tower, the Memory Prism that is unlocked in the postgame that shows the moment she and Duma decided to part ways, and reviving Celica when she died. I haven't beaten the Duma Trials dungeon that is unlocked with the Aim amiibo, but the stone slabs there do expand on Mila and Duma's backstories and how they ended up in Valentia. Apparently, when Duma was exiled for fighting with Naga, Mila decided to tag along with him. That shows she does care for him like a sister, so it was nice to learn about. The two eventually parted ways when they disagreed on how humanity should be ruled, and it was cool that this was shown via a Memory Prism.

She looks pretty overall, though I find it interesting that her hair basically act like wings. An interesting design choice if I do say so myself. I also really liked her voice performance. I'd say her English voice was much better than the Japanese version, especially in that cutscene with Rudolph. I mean, when Mila said, "DAMN YOU, DUMMMAAAAAAAA!", you could really hear the rage coming out of her voice! Her Japanese voice sounded nowhere as angry during that same scene.

Edited by Erureido

silque: not much to her but she's alright I guess. shame her only support's with faye. her memory prism is alright though.  has a really nice voice and a cute design. her voice actress sings the ending theme so bonus points for that

deen: weird how you'd put a random boss who only speaks twice on here

once he attacked boey and would've killed him if he doubled or critted but somehow boey didn't get critted by him and actually got a crit and killed him in one hit, so that's funny

mila: her actual character is whatever, they could've done more with her going crazy/dying or whatever, but she's got a fantastic design. one of the absolute best in the game, if not the best.  she looks especially great in the scene near the end of the game where she speaks to alm and celica

Silque: Not worth the effort to raise, very little characterisation... Faye basically eclipses her in every way.

Deen: I'm actually liking what I'm seeing from my first playthrough with him. He's got an interesting past that, although it's never elaborated, it makes it really easy to feel like it's fine to give him space. Might never grab him again because of how painful Sonya's map is, but he's not bad.

Mila: I don't know what to feel about her. She seems a bit too high-and-mighty, "I know best" for my liking.

Silque:  From having blue to green, to purple to blue again. A strong healer in Alm's route. Shame she doesn't get a lot of conversations about herself. But what there is is pretty fun. Props to voice actress for the end song.

Deen: From blonde to purple hair. I don't have much to say other than being a Myrmidon personality. What is with these characters leaving and never being heard from again?

Mila: The divine dragon that bless Zofia. I find it interesting that she isn't that good as a God. She allowed Lima to have an hedonistic lifestyle causing  Desaix to secure the position of Chancellor. Maybe she also grow lazy over the years. Also what was with her going crazy when Rudolf was wielding Falchion. Was it the Degeneration process?

Edited by Jingle Jangle

Silque: Like several other characters in the game, Silque has a good backstory, but she only has one support. And, unfortunately, it's just Faye pushing her away until the A support. If they had expanded upon her backstory and given her more supports, she'd be one of my favorite characters in the entire game, but unfortunately I can't say she is because so little of her is actually shown. Her design is nice, too! As a unit, she's very useful on Alm's route as the first healer, especially if you don't make Faye a healer.

Deen: I picked Sonya over him, so I can't say much about him. I like his design, his personality seems a little generically edgy, and as a unit I'm sure Saber is still the king. I'll get him on my next playthrough and form a better, more complete opinion.

Mila: I'm not sure how I feel about her character, but I really liked her voice work, and her design was good too!

Silque - i like her, i like her backstory, i wish she had more supports but that's my only gripe. She has a nice voice.

Deen - It's fluctuated, but to sum it up: i hate that i like him and i want to know about his backstory. I want to know how he and sonya interacted, personally. also why does he sound like squidward

Mila - lovely voice, lovely art, that's literally all that comes to mind.

Silque

Not necessarily the most interesting or rounded character here, but she's fine. I like her very lovely design and her mature voice, very fitting for her all in all. I do wish she got supports that weren't just Faye, though, even though I actually kinda like said support chain. Her prior connection with Jesse would've been perfect for some sort of postgame-only support, or maybe even for letting her join Celica's group the way Faye and Kliff can. As far as Cleric utility goes, Warp is obviously helpful, her Invoke ability is the best of the bunch even if it eats right through her HP pool, and in general she was useful to have around even after Tatiana came in and almost totally eclipsed her. Plus I handed her the Dracoshield I got off Desaix, which made her hilariously durable even late into the game.

Deen

I didn't pick him up, so I don't have much to say about him. People have made fun his vaguely Squidward-esque voice and edgelord design plenty already. I can't really comment on his performance either, obviously, and I haven't read what limited dialogue he gets if you choose him. I might give him a whirl on some later playthrough, though since he's mutually exclusive with one of my favorite characters, he might never make the cut.

Mila

I think Mila's pretty interesting, at least conceptually. The idea of a supposedly "good" god not being all they're cracked up to be isn't necessarily original, but it can be pretty cool if explored properly. Unfortunately, the game doesn't really go there with Mila, so she's kinda left in an awkward place where the game says she's some opposite-but-equally-terrible problem with Duma but then never really shows us that outside of one cutscene; and even then, her reaction to what's happening in that cutscene isn't that bad, given who she's dealing with. So honestly, I'm just kinda eh on her for being an interesting idea that just doesn't get followed through on.

Edited by epilepsyduck

Silque

Beautiful art, beautiful voice...and her only support is with Faye. I've got such a soft spot for Silque because of everything she's got going for her, but she sadly remains far too unexplored.

Deen

Buff Squidward with a cookie cutter personality and far less relevance than Sonya. 

Mila

Why are we supposed to be ending the age of gods when Mila is portrayed as nothing but a benevolent saint, represented and worshipped by hot anime studs? Saying "she might become crazy" and "people became corrupt because of her blessings" sort of requires some serious backing, and equating her to Duma, whose positive traits we never see in the main story, falls flat.

11 hours ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

Because you directly quoted me, and I don't give a shit what quips anyone else posted.

Okay FE Fan, you can calm down now ?

But yes, other characters!

Silque: She looks beautiful, sounds beautiful, and has some interesting base conversations as well IMO. I just wish she could support with Tatiana as well tbh.

Deen: He's awesome! He looks like a badass thug, has a very hot voice. And I rather like his base conversations too. I do wish his supports with Jesse went further than they did though. Their A support honestly feels more like a B support to me. But at the end of the day he's the Critical King with his Brave Sword, so I'll always love him as a unit for that.

Mila: I don't agree with the game's sentiment that she's "just as bad as Duma" because she really isn't??? That aside, she's okay and I felt bad for her towards the end because of everything.

But eh, I still liked Naga as a character more personally ?

Edited by HylianBelmont