Should I know who's a good unit?

Lord Tullus

Let me re-phrase the question.  Why should a fire emblem player know if someone is a "good" unit or not and how to identify them?  I kind of know the answer to this, but it's difficult for me to explain it.  A lot of times I like to encourage others in the community to use whoever they want, and play however they want.  I personally don't care about turn count, see.  After 3 years now, I've come to know what a good unit is and how to utilize one optimally, even if I still don't care about turn count too much.  For me, it's helpful to tell if a unit is good or not so you can have less trouble playing the games.  But I imagine some would argue that the franchise is relatively forgiving with resources and units to a point where this doesn't matter.

Again, why should a fire emblem player care about who's good and who's not? Why would it matter to know about growths and bases when you can, in theory, use whoever you like, however you like?

I don't think I understand. I agree that it's ultimately the player's decision, but can you really not understand why some people would rather use characters that are objectively the best choice? This is less of a problem in the games that have reclassing. (Which I'm not a fan of.)

I think you should have the information at the back of your mind, but ultimately you should use whoever you want, unless you're playing on the highest difficulties. On the lower difficulties, you can pretty much salvage anybody, even duds like Wendy and Sophia from Binding Blade. That said, I don't think I could ever bring myself to train Marty from Thracia...

On the first playthrough, I'd always recommend going in blind. Figuring out who's good or not is part of the fun ^^

6 minutes ago, VincentASM said:

I think you should have the information at the back of your mind, but ultimately you should use whoever you want, unless you're playing on the highest difficulties. On the lower difficulties, you can pretty much salvage anybody, even duds like Wendy and Sophia from Binding Blade. That said, I don't think I could ever bring myself to train Marty from Thracia...

On the first playthrough, I'd always recommend going in blind. Figuring out who's good or not is part of the fun ^^

Marty's pretty easy to train, really. It will take a few levels to get him going, but pretty much all of the scrolls you get before his re-recruitment are great for him. 

1 minute ago, Slumber said:

Marty's pretty easy to train, really. It will take a few levels to get him going, but pretty much all of the scrolls you get before his re-recruitment are great for him. 

Fair enough. Thracia does happen to be the game where the stat caps are the lowest and Marty has one of the best Build stats IIRC. On the other hand, I am a pretty terrible player and Thracia always ends up kicking my butt XD

It's been a long time since I played, but I imagine there are worse units than Marty, especially among the pre-promotes, but even then there are the Crusader scrolls.

2 minutes ago, VincentASM said:

Fair enough. Thracia does happen to be the game where the stat caps are the lowest and Marty has one of the best Build stats IIRC. On the other hand, I am a pretty terrible player and Thracia always ends up kicking my butt XD

It's been a long time since I played, but I imagine there are worse units than Marty, especially among the pre-promotes, but even then there are the Crusader scrolls.

Yeah, it's hard to screw up characters once you get enough scrolls. Even Shannam, the joke character, is very usable due to his innately lopsided growths that can be fixed with scrolls. 

Armor units and cavalry that don't use swords get it rough, though. 

While it's good to know who's good and who's not, it all comes down to the player. I'm one of the 6 people in the world who actually uses Sophia in my Binding Blade playthroughs. Sophia's a pretty bad unit but it doesn't stop me from using her.

It's like a Smash Bros tier-list. Just because Jigglypuff is at the bottom of the tier-list, doesn't mean that you shouldn't use Jigglypuff. Likewise, just because Bayonetta is at the top of the tier-list, doesn't mean that you have to use her. I main Corrin, Shulk, and Roy, and the latter two are low-tier. But that doesn't stop me from using them. This mentality can apply to FE as well.

I'm inclined to say that you have the freedom to use any team f units because most FE games aren't particularly difficult on Normal Mode. However I've noticeed that people on their 1st or 2nd game can sometimes get stuck even in places I'm accustomed to treating as easy games i the franchise, and they actually appreciate more concrete advise- their are high tier units, and then their are high tier units that are easy to use. I think I can make the moderate  suggestion that until you lose a given chapter 4-5 tuimes, then there is no reason to resort to looking up which units are good, although I've never personally put that into practice. I think most of the time when people take a loss they can "get" what they can do differently spontaneously on their own even with the same resources.