The most underrated Fire emblem game

Emperor

It seems that many people's favorite game is FE4, and is one of the most beloved in the franchise, but the sequel, and last game on the SNES, Thracia 776 is rather obscure. Not that many people talk about it and even most people I have encountered that have played Genealogy has not even touched FE5 which is weird. How come? Is it becuase of the menu's still being untranslated? 

Thraica.jpg

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I've heard from many different sources (some on here, lots off here) Besides the games not being released in the west, both Genealogy and Thracia were released moreso towards the end of the SNES's lifetime, and with Thracia being a side story to Genealogy and also one of the hardest games, most fans skipped over it I think due to dying hardware, hard game, and only a mild expansion of the previous game. I could be wrong but I've heard all these things said about it. I have yet to play either so my opinion is very limited on them

It's a shame. For all of its... quirks... Thracia is the game that put together all of the elements of the previous 4 games, and more or less set the gameplay structure and template that FE still follows to this day. You'd think that'd be a bit more appealing to people who are hardcore into the series. But yeah, it was released on the SNES in 1999, and it's notoriously difficult. Not exactly the most accessible game in the franchise.

It's still weird to me that Tear Ring Saga, the non-FE successor to T776, more or less has a complete translation, while the T776 translation is still spotty and not really put together(You either get a proper menu translation, or a story translation, but not both), and its been a work in progress for over a decade. I don't know if there are some weird technical aspects that make it harder than any other game or what, but it still seems bizarre to me.

Side note: Despite it being a "side story", I think Leif is probably the most well written lord and the T776 story is a very good, personal story for him.

Edited by Slumber

Nah... FE5 is still discussed in several threads.
Many people are daunted by its gameplay which isn't everyone's taste for sure.

As for me it's my second most favorite FE game because it introduced tons of unique mechanics like capturing or fatigue although not everything was implemented well. But I still appreciate th developers for bringing in these ideas.
It also introduced lots of mission objectives FE still has nowadays.
Some mechanics didn't work perfectly but I still really like this game just for attempting to be completly different to the former games. The jump between 4 and 5 regarding gameplay has been the biggest in Fire Emblem for me. Gameplaywise I see FE5 as foundation for the current parts.

Also yes, this game really needs a good translation so badly. 

Edited by Reimu Hakurei

Personally, I don't think it has anything to do with difficulty, or that its region exclusive, or that it never made it to the west.

The problem was that it was released on the wrong system. The SNES was coming to its end and the N64 as well as the Game Boy started becoming more relevant.

Gotta wonder though just why IS didn't think of making an FE game for the Game boy instead of the GBA....

I feel like FE6 is the most underrated FE?

But yeah. FE5 still does not have a good translation, it is very often said it is unforgiving and all that so maybe scaring away people.
Personally, I think the game has qualities or mechanics that should be improved and make their return.

FE5 was also eclipsed by FE4 and FE6, I guess? FE4 is still the "main" game, often praised as the best one while FE6 marked the new direction for the games and for many people the GBA games are THE Fire Emblem games.

48 minutes ago, MadJak91 said:

I feel like FE6 is the most underrated FE?

I don't think it is. After all, Roy made it to Melee and is in Smash 4, so I guess it's more well-known than the Judgral games.

And before SoV was released, Gaiden was the most underrated one, iirc.

2 hours ago, Flee Fleet! said:

I don't think it is. After all, Roy made it to Melee and is in Smash 4, so I guess it's more well-known than the Judgral games.

And before SoV was released, Gaiden was the most underrated one, iirc.

Gaiden couldn't be underrated. gaiden was garbage, after all

Edited by Slumber

6 hours ago, Harvey said:

Gotta wonder though just why IS didn't think of making an FE game for the Game Boy instead of the Game Boy Advance...

You mean like this?

This bootleg shows that it was certainly possible.  Maybe IS just didn't think it had sufficient resources for them to make the kind of game they wanted.

1 hour ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

You mean like this?

This bootleg shows that it was certainly possible.  Maybe IS just didn't think it had sufficient resources for them to make the kind of game they wanted.

Wow! I'm quite surprised that some fan managed to do this....I do wonder what the plot is though.

45 minutes ago, Harvey said:

Wow!  I'm quite surprised that some fan managed to do this...  I do wonder what the plot is, though.

I don't think this was made by fans, just by some Chinese bootleggers who wanted to make a quick buck.

Still, the graphics are surprisingly nice, except for the butchered portrait transplants.

I'd say the problem with Thracia largely stems from being unreleased out of Japan (which, to be fair, applies to Genealogy as well), as well as its (false) reputation as a hard game (what really makes it hard is a lot of stuff that falls under fake difficulty and ass-bad game design). It doesn't help that thanks to their mechanics, both it and Genealogy are hard to play, let alone approach. Nor does it that it was released on the SNES when it was practically irrelevant (the N64 being the big thing at the time).

2 hours ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

Nor does it that it was released on the SNES when it was practically irrelevant (the N64 being the big thing at the time).

Not only that, but the GameCube was released a year after Thracia's release. So not only was the SNES irrelevant, but the N64 was on it's way out as well.

I see alot of people saying its becuase its super hard but honestly, with scrolls being a thing "increases growth rates" and the ability to have muitple on one unit, its kinda easy. 

Leaf, if not for his Charisma/Support would easily be the worst lord and when he was promoted he only had like 9 str for me. But with scroll abusing he became great. Shiva is a monster and Karin maxed out her STR and Skill. FE6 on HM would be the hardest FE game in my opinion. And the trainslation is good just the menus are wonky but its not unplayable. 

There we go.png

Fire Emblem - Thracia 776009.png

Fire Emblem - Thracia 776008.png

45 minutes ago, Emperor said:

FE6 on HM would be the hardest FE game in my opinion.

I mean, if we're going by increasing difficulty, New Mystery's Lunatic mode is the hardest FE game from what i hear.

I suppose Awakening's Lunatic+ is technically harder, but it's just artificial difficulty and completely luck based, honestly.

Never played New mystery on Lunatic but yea Awakenigns Lunatic/+ is just artificial. In that case then FE6 would still be the hardest game on normal compared to every other FE game. 

And being hard should never stop anyone from playing a game tbh

1 hour ago, Emperor said:

And being hard should never stop anyone from playing a game tbh

Being hard might not be a dealbreaker, but being poorly designed definitely is, far as I'm concerned.

5 hours ago, Valkama said:

Good thing it's not poorly designed then.

That's a laugh. Because permanent status effects, fatigue and losing characters that didn't escape before Leif all reek of bad game design.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

1 hour ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

That's a laugh. Because permanent status effects, fatigue and losing characters that didn't escape before Leif all reek of bad game design.

I have to agree. I haven't played Thracia 776, but those, as well as heal staves missing, seem like bad game design, and incredibly annoying. Not to mention that a first timer wouldn't know these things.

But like I said, I haven't played it, so I'll need to see it for myself.

Edited by Flee Fleet!

52 minutes ago, Flee Fleet! said:

I have to agree. I haven't played Thracia 776, but those, as well as heal staves missing, seem like bad game design, and incredibly annoying. Not to mention that a first timer wouldn't know these things.

But like I said, I haven't played it, so I'll need to see it for myself.

But, the best part is when there's like 3 enemies with physic and you watch them all miss an enemy that you are about to kill.

Ha. Permanent status ailments are not an issue. They can be cured and if you didn't bring a cure then that's on you. Losing units that fail to escape before Leif also isn't an issue. The game tells you units left behind will be lost in dialogue of the first escape map. In fact the escape mechanic and the existence of 21x opens the door for very interesting strategies and allows the player to sacrifice units without letting them die in order to get them back later. It's an ingenious work around to players natural desire to keep everyone alive.

Fatigue wasn't implemented very well but that is more because it's easy to avoid due to the abundance of S drinks rather than it causing issues for the player.

While the game has some questionable design choices, as a whole it's a very well designed game and a damn fun one at that.