The most underrated Fire emblem game

Emperor

4 hours ago, Emperor said:

Well, what did you expect from a forum about video games? 

The ability to live with the fact that not everyone has the same opinion as you.  And possibly accepting and respecting that, too.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 minutes ago, Emperor said:

It was from a bug in the original and the team thought it was funny that they added it in as a feature. I thought it was funny too since there was no need to loop around since dread fighters and Milla's turn wheel made the game a cake walk

Iirc dread fighter looping isn't a bug according to some interview with the devs. Also you should probably ignore anything Levant says about Thracia. They are pretty clearly a troll with no actual valid opinion on the game since they've never played it so they really aren't worth replying to.

Also calling someone a casual in a negative context is hella elitist. I agree that a game creating anti-turtle incentives is not bad design such as the 11A houses but there is a better argument to be had than "git gud"

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

I know the question wasn't directed at me, but i'm basically in the same boat as Levant. The thing that makes FE4 so bad from a gameplay standpoint is not just the maps themselves, but how massively unbalanced the game is. The way it works is, units who have either a mount, Holy Blood, or Pursuit are automatically better than units who don't. If a unit has all three, then they are basically God.

I don't disagree that there is a problem here but I disagree with what you think is a problem. Unbalanced units imo are actually good for a strategy game. In encourages the player to look at their tools and weigh which area is the best place to use each of their tools efficiently. For example if you have a mage that 1 Rounds every armor on a map and a mage that only one rounds weak armors despite the imbalance between these two units both units can be useful if the stronger mage isn't able to be everywhere and the player is forced to strategize how best to ensure the weaker mage only faces the weaker armors while the stronger mage takes on the stronger armors. The issue with FE4 however is that there is never a place for combat foot units to shine and thus leads to them being useless and having a useless tool in a strategy game is bad design.

I think FE4 is a lot more balanced than people give it credit for but there is no arguing that the game never gives you a place where a unit like Jamke or Brigid would be helpful while a unit like Sigurd is useful 99% of the time. FE3 and FE5 did a better job of turning unit imbalances into strategic merit. I would say there are more games in the series that are worse about this problem than FE4 though like GBA games have a ton of useless units. I suppose it looks worse on FE4 though because of it's smaller cast.

Jesus fuck, what the hell did I just read?

I love Thracia, but even I know it's not for everyone. And if you didn't get affected by any of the warp tiles in 24x on a blind playthrough, I'm calling bullshit. You will run into at least one. Save stating to get around that doesn't count. Having a guide point out that there are warp points doesn't count. You play blind legitimately or you know about it.

Heal staffs missing is a bullshit mechanic. Heal staffs doubling is too (since they can break). Dismounting does nothing but screw over units who were otherwise good (Hi Dean) while empowering units who were already amazing (Hi Fergus and Carrion). Fog of War is terrible in this game since it doesn't only obscure units; it obscures terrain which can be a major make or break. Torches? Sure, that's fine. But why do I have to use torches to see the goddamn map? Negative statuses are auto-hit if your character's MAG is too low. RES isn't a thing in this game. And the fact they never wear out unless you have a restore staff is horseshit.

I'm sorry, again, I love Thracia 776, but ignoring its flaws is a load of shit.

Genealogy, a game I also love, has issues with its maps. You decry that Echoes' maps suck, I get it. But FE4 has more than a few areas where there's nothing going on. The difference is that Echoes' maps are (usually) much smaller. I just can't agree with blindly loving them.

16 minutes ago, eclipse said:

The ability to live with the fact that not everyone has the same opinion as you.  And possibly accepting and respecting that, too.

I never said I did not accept nor respect that? Many times I said lets agree to disagree? And I did say I understand peoples isues with FE4 maps. Its the issues with healing staves and skipable maps that I find silly. 

1 minute ago, Valkama said:

Also calling someone a casual in a negative context is hella elitist. I agree that a game creating anti-turtle incentives is not bad design such as the 11A houses but there is a better argument to be had than "git gud"

Well I did not just ONLY say git gud. I also mentioned how it was meant to be an incentive. 

Just now, NoNameAtAll said:

Jesus fuck, what the hell did I just read?

I love Thracia, but even I know it's not for everyone. And if you didn't get affected by any of the warp tiles in 24x on a blind playthrough, I'm calling bullshit. You will run into at least one. Save stating to get around that doesn't count. Having a guide point out that there are warp points doesn't count. You play blind legitimately or you know about it.

Heal staffs missing is a bullshit mechanic. Heal staffs doubling is too (since they can break). Dismounting does nothing but screw over units who were otherwise good (Hi Dean) while empowering units who were already amazing (Hi Fergus and Carrion). Fog of War is terrible in this game since it doesn't only obscure units; it obscures terrain which can be a major make or break. Torches? Sure, that's fine. But why do I have to use torches to see the goddamn map? Negative statuses are auto-hit if your character's MAG is too low. RES isn't a thing in this game. And the fact they never wear out unless you have a restore staff is horseshit.

I'm sorry, again, I love Thracia 776, but ignoring its flaws is a load of shit.

Genealogy, a game I also love, has issues with its maps. You decry that Echoes' maps suck, I get it. But FE4 has more than a few areas where there's nothing going on. The difference is that Echoes' maps are (usually) much smaller. I just can't agree with blindly loving them.

Pretty sure I said I did not choose the path that had 16b before and I skipped 24x becuase The girl that was needed to heal Ethyln with the Kia staff (Sara) was fatigued so I just ran away. And dismounting hurting units is a bs arguments since, you can easily train them to git gud with swords. It was never an issue for me. I dont like it but saying it hurts good units is a bit much if the fix is easy. (HELLO ELITE SWORD) And I did say healing being able to miss sucks but if you get your staff users to have a skill of just 10, which is easy, its a non issue. And I rather have a game with maps with nothing going on SOMETIMES then a game with maps that are just a 21x28 grind with a jpeg of roots. 

7 minutes ago, NoNameAtAll said:

I agree Thracia has flaws but some corrections here.

1. Dean is actually very good when dismounted because he has A swords giving him access to some of the best tools in the game.

2. Status staves can miss, they have a hit rate of 60 + sklx4.

14 minutes ago, Valkama said:

Unbalanced units imo are actually good for a strategy game.

I actually agree with this. It's impossible to make every unit balanced. The issue is that i feel that FE4 takes it too far by doing what i've mentioned before.

14 minutes ago, Valkama said:

GBA games have a ton of useless units.

I mean, yeah. It's really just in FE6 though. FE7 and 8's cast are more viable (the latter has the Tower of Grinding, so technically, everybody is viable in FE8). FE6 on the other hand, does have a unit balance problem and a lot of units suck (i say that, yet i use Sophia in every playthrough). But i don't think it's as bad as in FE4. Because at least infantry units have a chance to shine in FE6, and some of the game's best units (example: Dieck, Rutger) are infantry.

1 hour ago, Valkama said:

Also you should probably ignore anything Levant says about Thracia. They are pretty clearly a troll

Ha! Takes one to know one. Anyway, I stated earlier that I had no intent of playing Thracia because the only thing that it'd confirm was that my grievances were justified. As to other stuff that came up, I disagree that the GBA games gave you a lot of useless units, in large part because that's only true of FE6.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

Sorry for the late reply.

I see where you guys are coming from, and I don't necessarily disagree, so I will not comment on a majority of your guys' replies.

On 8/20/2017 at 4:13 PM, Armagon said:

I will say that i did like SoV's terrain boosts, because it was balanced by Mages being able to nullify it.

Fair, but I would've just nerfed the terrain bonuses instead of giving Mages an advantage over infantry.

Wolff's Fort. That map sucks and i hate it. I did enjoy Grieth's Citadel though. It felt like a proper siege. That's what i like about fort maps in SoV. They really did feel like proper sieges. Rigel Castle was my favorite. It came with an amazing song too.

You liked Grieth's Citadel? I found it even more tedious and boring than Wolff's Fort. To each his own, I guess.

On 8/20/2017 at 4:14 PM, Levant Mir Celestia said:

To me, that isn't as bad a sin as having bloated maps that are also uninteresting. At least with SoV I might be able to move on in a matter of minutes, but FE4's maps require at least an hour because they're that bloated. It's an exercise in tedium.

Fair. I appreciate FE4's maps a little bit more because there are side objectives like saving villages, protecting NPCs, etc., but I see your point.

On 8/20/2017 at 5:24 PM, Levant Mir Celestia said:

As a video game connoisseur, I am disgusted and offended by this blatant display of elitism.

On 8/20/2017 at 4:59 PM, Armagon said:

By that logic, Kirby games suck because they offer no challenge. 

A game doesn't have to be hard to be good but i don't expect your elitist mind to understand that.

I don't think he is being an elitist in this instance. I don't enjoy games like Kirby that much either, because they are too easy. Does that make me an elitist? They are not engaging or thrilling to me.

@Emperor has said some dumb, "elitist" (ugh I hate this word) shit in this thread, but if he doesn't like easy games, then so what? It's his opinion.

EDIT: You will probably never see this edit, but I felt the need to write it

ngl I actually really like Kirby games, especially the older ones. I just used the series as an example.

Edited by Pixelman

7 minutes ago, Pixelman said:

You liked Grieth's Citadel? I found it even more tedious and boring than Wolff's Fort.

Yeah, at least Greith's Citadel wasn't Archer-land, and it also had less desert in it. Granted, it had a Cantor, but Saber easily beats them.

7 minutes ago, Pixelman said:

he doesn't like easy games, then so what? It's his opinion.

No one has to like easy games but Emperor was downplaying them by saying

4 hours ago, Emperor said:

if a game is piss poor easy what is the point of playing it you know?

This statement right here basically says that easy games are pointless. Which is wrong because easy games are there for you to kick back, relax, and have a fun good time. They have their purpose.

Again, no one has to like easy games. But the elitism comes by saying that easy games are pointless.

Honestly as much I like this game and the origin intention of this thread, I'm considering to let it close when I see people "opinion's" about sth. who haven't finished, much less even started this game.

Also my opinion still stays that FE5 had the best ideas in terms of mechanics but not the best solutions how to make these ideas work.
Things like perma status effect and forcing to let Leaf escape last just reflect the dark atmosphere of this game in a realistic way. Fatigue also makes sense but needs modification badly.
There's no need to deny that a few chapters are totally unfair to newcomers like 24x. 8x is similar to Zephiel's chapter in FE7 because Tanya's and Dagda's survival mainly depend on luck if you don't have warp staves from chapter 7 left.
The more I wish for a remake which fixes the gameplay issues and improves mechanics like fatigue and 1-99% hitrate to 0-100%.

Glad to see this thread primarily devolved into an argument between an elitist and somebody who hasn't played the game and somebody who played very little of it.

Really, really good to see such nuanced discussion of my favorite game in the franchise.

Edited by Slumber

1 hour ago, Reimu Hakurei said:

The more I wish for a remake which fixes the gameplay issues and improves mechanics like fatigue and 1-99% hitrate to 0-100%.

Wow I forgot about those hit rates. If they were to remake Thracia, echoes style I think that would need to be fixed. I know what the devs were trying to go for, that nothing is ever guaranteed. Like how in Xcom you can miss at 100%, but that is bullshit. 

The fatiuge system should let you know how much or many more actions you will be until you get fatigue. Kinda Like how they did in echoes. Being un able to do chapter 24x because of Sara being fatigue was lame. Atleast I could easily escape out of there. 

15 minutes ago, Slumber said:

Glad to see this thread primarily devolved into an argument between an elitist and somebody who hasn't played the game and somebody who played very little of it.

Really, really good to see such nuanced discussion of my favorite game in the franchise.

How the fuck am I an elitist? In all my years of talking about video games online never have I been called an elitist. Is this a serenes forest kinda of thing? 

Amelia.png.debaf00a9343769ce3580c5f9b2d8d7a.png

Edited by Emperor
Its a funny image

I made some own ideas about fatigue here but I'm not surprised that the majority refused them as the entire mechanic.

You could miss with 100% in XCOM!?
This is like the biggest troll mechanic I've seen in RPGs.
Thankfully hasn't happened to me yet.

Edited by Reimu Hakurei

4 minutes ago, Emperor said:

How the fuck am I an elitist? In all my years of talking about video games online never have I been called an elitist. Is this a serenes forest kinda of thing? 

You flat out dismiss easy games, and pretty much anybody who likes them. You act like your opinion is better because you like hard games. That's a textbook example of elitism. It does nothing to help discussion because it gives a reason for people to not take you seriously.

I've been on Serenes for 5 months, and that's the first time I've used the term "elitism", so no, it's not a Serenes thing. If you don't mean to come off like that, then you really need to work on how you word your opinions.

For clarification: Part of why I like Thracia 776 so much is because of the difficulty. But it's not just because it's difficult, it's because of the design that makes it difficult that I like it. Plenty of hard games are trash.

Edited by Slumber

17 minutes ago, Slumber said:

You flat out dismiss easy games, and pretty much anybody who likes them. You act like your opinion is better because you like hard games. That's a textbook example of elitism. It does nothing to help discussion because it gives a reason for people to not take you seriously.

I've been on Serenes for 5 months, and that's the first time I've used the term "elitism", so no, it's not a Serenes thing. If you don't mean to come off like that, then you really need to work on how you word your opinions.

I never dismissed people who say they like easy games though and maybe if you read the thread instead of just jumping on a bandwaging you would have seen I have said, many times lets agree to disagree. 

And yea I dont like easy games and I find them pointless I dont see how this is a bad thing? And I never acted like my opinion meant more then some one elses because I play/like harder games though? 

Its probably the game with one of the best map designs in FE. Lots of incentives to hurry you up, challenge, and very memorable. My favorite is the one where Leif fucked up and disobeyed augustest orders, leaving his army decimated and he has to run back, and the map right after where he has to defense his town. Both amazing maps. 

Edited by Emperor
I liked your edit

4 hours ago, Pixelman said:

@Emperor has said some dumb, "elitist" (ugh I hate this word) shit in this thread, but if he doesn't like easy games, then so what? It's his opinion.

He does, though. He praised extremely easy Path of Radiance, which is bar far the easiest game in the series unless you're playing maniac, which i doubt he was (and is also very easy).

Anyway, on thracia. It's okay. Nothing really special but definitely a nice addition to the series and about right in the middle of it. I've been playing it lately and it's definitely not nearly as hard or frustrating as its fame, but then again, I beat stuff like lunatic new mystery of the emblem which beats it by far in the difficulty department, and tbqh it's also way easier than H5 SD or Lunatic Conquest.

While i think the TC said a lot of questionable stuff (Conquest has no resource management but PoR, the game that showers you with money does?) I have to agree with him that dismounting, staves missing and fatigue are absolutely non issues.

Anyway @Emperor, the impression I get reading your posts is that you're a new fan that started with awakening, then discovered the old games, started having a dumb superiority complex over that and now disregarded everything new. New Mystery of the Emblem is a relatively new game in the series and it makes Thracia look like child play. Grow out of this attitude, please.

Also, I want to make clear that the most underrated Fire Emblem game is Shadow Dragon. Such a good game.

Edited by Nobody

16 minutes ago, Nobody said:

He does, though. He praised extremely easy Path of Radiance, which is bar far the easiest game in the series unless you're playing maniac, which i doubt he was (and is also very easy).

Anyway, on thracia. It's okay. Nothing really special but definitely a nice addition to the series and about right in the middle of it. I've been playing it lately and it's definitely not nearly as hard or frustrating as its fame, but then again, I beat stuff like lunatic new mystery of the emblem which beats it by far in the difficulty department, and tbqh it's also way easier than H5 SD or Lunatic Conquest.

I praised PoR for its mechanics and its not the easiest game in the series, that goes to SS. If I had to I would say it had a decent challenge level. 

Shadow dragon is not underrated its rather meh. With it being ugly as sin and the requirements for gaiden chapters being so ass backwards. Its underwhelming in my eyes. And yea H5 and Lunatic NM is hard but rather artificial with inflated states. Reminded me of Lunatic + of awakening. But that is neither here no there. 

19 minutes ago, Nobody said:

Anyway @Emperor, the impression I get reading your posts is that you're a new fan that started with awakening, then discovered the old games, started having a dumb superiority complex over that and now disregarded everything new. New Mystery of the Emblem is a relatively new game in the series and it makes Thracia look like child play. Grow out of this attitude, please.

And no I dont disregard everything new. I praised Conquests maps did I not? But yea I started with awakening and found older games much better. I would go out and say awakening might be the weakest. what does that have to do with anything (Top 4 would be FE4,5,6 and 9) Also New mystery, better then Thracia? You kidding me dude? MU trivializes the game unless you are playing and also steals alot of the spotlight from marth. It begin the cancer that is MU, removed weapon weight. Other then the gaiden maps, which were really really small, every map was just seized. Or are you talking about the difficulty? In that case which one? Hard I think it was is what most people considered the best way to play it that was still very easy. 

25 minutes ago, Emperor said:

And no I dont disregard everything new. I praised Conquests maps did I not? But yea I started with awakening and found older games much better. I would go out and say awakening might be the weakest. what does that have to do with anything (Top 4 would be FE4,5,6 and 9) Also New mystery, better then Thracia? You kidding me dude? MU trivializes the game unless you are playing and also steals alot of the spotlight from marth. It begin the cancer that is MU, removed weapon weight. Other then the gaiden maps, which were really really small, every map was just seized. Or are you talking about the difficulty? In that case which one? Hard I think it was is what most people considered the best way to play it that was still very easy. 

I never said it was better, since that's subjective, I said it was harder, which is an objective fact. I'm talking about lunatic. MU definitely doesn't trivialize Lunatic. He's just another (great) unit on the lategame, and you won't get anywhere by only using him. It's literally impossible. Anyway, you said H5 SD and Lunatic NM were just "inflated stats" but that's clearly not true. You need a lot of strategy to beat those modes. Have you even played them? Hard New Mystery is very easy, but Lunatic is a huge leap over it. 

Anyway, Lunatic (and lunatic +) Awakening is nothing AT ALL like Merciless Shadow Dragon, Lunatic New Mystery and Lunatic Conquest, and you saying that makes clear you've never played these modes, so do yourself a favor and try them.

Also, name a single thing in Path of Radince that comes close to Father and Son or Ghost Ship from FE8. While still easy, those maps offer way more challenge than anything Path of Radiance, which has absolutely nothing that could be considered challenging in the western release that criminally removed Maniac.

Edited by Nobody

Ghost ship is the only map in FE8 hard mode that gave me any trouble and I recently played/beaten Ephraim hard mode. I have not beaten FE9 on hard, and I dont think I can say anything on FE9 hard mode since I did not finish yet, but on Normal SS Erikia's route (only normal I played) none of the maps, really stuck me as hard) But as for father and son, really? I thought that was a really easy map. Like I said even with no grinding, on hard mode only Ghost ship gave me any troubles on Ephraims on hard. Everything else was a cake walk. The map to defend in PoR and getting the hungry mage was harder then that for me and that was still easy. 

And I thought Lunatic of NM was like Lunatic/+ of awakening so I just tried on hard. Ill try it one day. Still need to finish TRS, and Hard mode FE9 and Hector hard mode.  in that order first. 

And yea sorry It was't clear if you were talking about difficulty or being better. But I find it a bit unfair to compare the two in terms of difficulty since, thracia only has one standard difficulty and NM has 3 or 4 I forgot and SD has 5. Unless you count elite mode but thats for pussys. 

10 hours ago, Valkama said:

Iirc dread fighter looping isn't a bug according to some interview with the devs. Also you should probably ignore anything Levant says about Thracia. They are pretty clearly a troll with no actual valid opinion on the game since they've never played it so they really aren't worth replying to.

I'm pretty sure he's not trying to be some kind of troll (at least, from the way he wrote his comments), but...

9 hours ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

Ha! Takes one to know one. Anyway, I stated earlier that I had no intent of playing Thracia because the only thing that it'd confirm was that my grievances were justified. As to other stuff that came up, I disagree that the GBA games gave you a lot of useless units, in large part because that's only true of FE6.

I think you should at least play it to see whether the problems you've stated about it is actually much of a big deal or just small annoyances that happen from time to time e.t.c.

Also, I agree that FE6 is the only GBA FE to actually have useless units. Almost all the units in FE7 are usable, and FE8 has the Tower of Grinding and Skirmishes that allows one to make every unit OP. 

Also, @Emperor, you were rather acting like an elitist, as most of the others have said, even if it wasn't your intention to act like one.

Although I have to admit that calling people who play easy games or games on easy mode as casuals in a negative context slightly triggers me. 

btw don't double post, just edit your previous post.

Also, some people are stating that New Mystery of the Emblem is a difficult game, more than even Thracia. I've only played the 7 Prolouge chapters, and may continue playing, so can anyone tell me why it's considered difficult? 

1 minute ago, Flee Fleet! said:

Also, some people are stating that New Mystery of the Emblem is a difficult game, more than even Thracia. I've only played the 7 Prolouge chapters, and may continue playing, so can anyone tell me why it's considered difficult? 

Lunatic and Lunatic Reverse are definitely some of the most difficult modes of any game. I think Lunatic Reverse's method of adding difficulty is a little uninteresting but Lunatic is still pretty good even if you need to hit stat benchmarks is needed for certain areas to be reliable. I personally prefer to stay on Maniac mode.

The great thing about NM is that the easier difficulties are actually super easy so the more casual players are able to enjoy the game without much trouble while the harder difficulties are really challenging so the more hardcore players can also enjoy the game.

I really loved Thracia776, and found it very fun and interesting to play, but I'm not sure if I could call it a well designed game. Even though I loved it, I think it deserved being rated as one of the lesser games.

I consider Thracia a hardcore Fire Emblem jaunt that only dedicated fans should try, and they pretty much can't go in blind.
I find the game chapter meta-strategy much more interesting than most. The big picture decisions behind what you do with your army matter much more for each individual chapter. The capture mechanic is really cool, not only in gameplay, but because it augments the atmosphere of the story in feeling like an underfunded and undermanned rebel group.
The fatigue mechanic was good too, in forcing you to use different characters, and escape chapters were an interesting change of pace. Again, both of these also doubled to make the atmosphere more tough and hopeless. I also liked the scrolls allowing you to make any character become good, but doesn't break the game.

Without Thracia, the second generation of Holy War's story always would have been kind of boring, but the game makes Leaf and the whole Lenster and Thracia subplot much more interesting - really elevating a few chapters in the second generation. (I usually picture the game from Leaf's point of view instead of Celice's when he joins in FE4.) I also think Leaf is one of the best written lords.

Is it a well designed game? I don't think so. As I type this out I'm not sure if I can place my finger on it, but it just felt like it was kind of rushed and unfinished. It almost feels like some of the challenge comes from the game being unbalanced. You pretty much need to be aware of how the entire game pans out to truly plan your strategies. I don't think staffs weren't meant to be so broken. Minor complaint that's not really a big deal is why do all dismounted units use swords? Why couldn't some still use lances lol.

I think the music is one of the weakest in the series. They nailed the atmosphere in all other parts, but if it had better music I think it would have been more inspiring. Lack of a villain was another kind of weak point. Reidric was pretty boring, Birdo started out epic but then disapeared for pretty much the entire game and when you see him you're like "oh yeah". The other villain Blume was killed off screen. (I guess they had to keep it consistent with FE4)
No support conversations was especially noticeable in this game because the characters actually seemed very interesting in what little they do, so you're left just wanting more.

TL;DR
Extremely fun game to play if you're a hardcore, but the flaws make it for certain one of the less whelming Fire Emblem games.

Edited by Devnad

8 hours ago, Flee Fleet! said:

I think you should at least play it to see whether the problems you've stated about it is actually much of a big deal or just small annoyances that happen from time to time e.t.c.

Sorry, but no way in the seven hells do I think it deserves trying when there are mechanical and gameplay issues that are far and away beyond my ability to turn a blind eye to. Also, I feel that I'd literally have to force myself to play it, which isn't a good sign.