The most underrated Fire emblem game

Emperor

8 hours ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

How the heck is anyone supposed to know without a walkthrough or other prior knowledge that only Leif and Lifis out of all your current units would be usable in the next map, and furthermore that whatever items they may have had (which may or may not even be useful) will be taken from them and randomly scattered in chests?

Your not supposed to know, that's the point. The player during the manster arc is supposed to feel disadvantaged and needs to scrap together anything they can and play the maps cleverly to win. It's what makes the whole thing great. The game still gives you everything you need though through the inventories of the new recruits and the 3 guaranteed chests though so even a player coming in with an unoptimized setup isn't screwed.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, Emperor said:

There was no reason to remove skills or dismounting in FE6. The series went back by removing it. Thankfully PoR brought it back in. And like I said I understand why people dont like FE4 maps I really do. What I dont get is when people say FE5 is not that good, or sucks or etc etc because the FoW cant let you see terrain or stamina or heals missing, when once again its not a big deal. 

There is alot more to a game then one fucking map.

And that last statement is just fucking wow. Speechless. 

I don't see what good dismounting would've done in FE6, which thanks to its maps is also considered Horse Emblem, even if it's not to the extent FE4 is - I mean, can you imagine going through FE6 chapter 8 with no mounts?? Because I sure as hell can't. And sure, there's a lot more to a game than one map, but Thracia comes off to me as little more than a rushed game with a boatload of problems, which is why I denounce it. And for the zillionth time, while you may assert that fatigue/missing heals/etc. is not that big a deal, that does NOT mean that it's not a dealbreaker, and those things you keep asserting aren't a big deal are still dealbreakers for most people. And as for my last statement, I still stand by it because the Jugdral games' gameplay is god-effing-awful.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

2 hours ago, Valkama said:

Your not supposed to know, that's the point.  The player during the Manster arc is supposed to feel disadvantaged and needs to scrape together anything they can and play the maps cleverly to win.  It's what makes the whole thing great.  The game still gives you everything you need though through the inventories of the new recruits and the 3 guaranteed chests though, so even a player coming in with an unoptimized setup isn't screwed.

The least they could've done in Chapter 4 was ditch just a few of the Knights in the ambush hall.  Other than that, it would be fine.

I never understood how anybody has an issue with a bit of darkness. Its a nice spice

It's not the darkness (well, that's part of the reason). The main complaint with Fog of War is that the enemy is unaffected by it, giving the player an unfair disadvantage. 

I was talking about in terms of mechanics and innovations the GBA pushed out, which were alot.

More mechanics =/= good gameplay. You can have all the gameplay mechanics you want, if the gameplay itself is shit, then why bother? The GBA games still win in the gameplay department because they aren't filled with bullshit, unlike the Jugdral games.

Echoes also has no weapon durability since Gaiden had it, which is pretty lame.

You do realize that the entirety of SoV is built around it's handling of weapons, right? Having weapon durabiltiy means adding more weapons. More weapons=weapon triangle. Weapon triangle=completely reworking the game to the point where it might as well be a new game and not a faithful remastering of Gaiden.

And you keep on going about 24x every other map in thracia is great

The maps themselves maybe, but not the bullshit mechanics that plague Thracia.

There was no reason to remove skills or dismounting in FE6

Dismounting sucked anyway.

What I dont get is when people say FE5 is not that good, or sucks or etc etc because the FoW cant let you see terrain or stamina or heals missing, when once again its not a big deal. 

A lot of that stuff is dealbreakers for people. Especially since some of it is stuff that just shouldn't happen. And you keep saying it's not a big deal but i could just as easily say that SoV's desert and swamp maps aren't a big deal. Just because it's "not a big deal" doesn't mean i have to agree.

9 hours ago, Sweet_Basil said:

Thracia is a really good game it's just not very friendly, at least not for a first blind run.

See, that's the thing about Thracia. It's fun if you don't go in blind (supposedly) but why shouldn't you be able to go in blind and have fun?

5 hours ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

I don't see what good dismounting would've done in FE6, which thanks to its maps is also considered Horse Emblem, even if it's not to the extent FE4 is - I mean, can you imagine going through FE6 chapter 8 with no mounts?

Mmm, i don't know if i'd use Ch.8 as an example. Ch.11A is a better example, because that once chapter somehow managed to carry over FE4's problem of having to rush at top speed just to save the villages. And that's not counting how somewhat stressful it is to recruit Thea without having her and her Pegasus Knights suicide on the enemy. Would've been a lot easier if both Klein and Shanna could recruit her as opposed to just Klein.

11 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Mmm, i don't know if i'd use Ch.8 as an example. Ch.11A is a better example, because that once chapter somehow managed to carry over FE4's problem of having to rush at top speed just to save the villages. And that's not counting how somewhat stressful it is to recruit Thea without having her and her Pegasus Knights suicide on the enemy. Would've been a lot easier if both Klein and Shanna could recruit her as opposed to just Klein.

Yeah, thinking about it, I agree it wasn't the best example, but it was the first thing that came to mind.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

It's not the darkness (well, that's part of the reason). The main complaint with Fog of War is that the enemy is unaffected by it, giving the player an unfair disadvantage. 

Well if FoW did effect the AI it would make the maps alot easier. The point of it is to give the player a challenge

More mechanics =/= good gameplay. You can have all the gameplay mechanics you want, if the gameplay itself is shit, then why bother? The GBA games still win in the gameplay department because they aren't filled with bullshit, unlike the Jugdral games.

. Yes I know more mechanics dont make a game have better gameplay but FE6 is alot less for not having skills and the like. And even IS agreed with me which is why they added back in Skills in PoR.

You do realize that the entirety of SoV is built around it's handling of weapons, right? Having weapon durabiltiy means adding more weapons. More weapons=weapon triangle. Weapon triangle=completely reworking the game to the point where it might as well be a new game and not a faithful remastering of Gaiden.

Ik echoes was meant to be like gaiden a very faithful remake and all that jazz because the devs loved Gaiden and you can feel the love that was put into it, but echoes is still a lesser game for not having a weapon triangle and weapon durability 

A lot of that stuff is dealbreakers for people. Especially since some of it is stuff that just shouldn't happen. And you keep saying it's not a big deal but i could just as easily say that SoV's desert and swamp maps aren't a big deal. Just because it's "not a big deal" doesn't mean i have to agree.

The maps are shit becuase they are very very very simple. Just some defense tiles and a bridge repeat 10x over. I was't even talking aboout the desert or the swamp maps I was more complaning about how basic they are.

The bullshit mechanics you keep on mentioning are not an issue not because I say it is, but because they are if everyone who has played Thracia and gave it a fair shot saying, fatiuge is a non issue and heals that miss, while suck, are a non issue should say something. I personally liked Fatigue though but stam pots are sold rather cheaply just kidnap some dudes (want this mechanic back in for reals this time) and sell of their shit. And mention 24x as being another deal breaker seems very petty since you can just skip it. Unlike the fucking winds map in Conquest which is pure ass. 

Dismounting sucked anyway.

See, that's the thing about Thracia. It's fun if you don't go in blind (supposedly) but why shouldn't you be able to go in blind and have fun?

Dismounting adds another layer of strategy since you can do more things. Air drop your peg night to take down a ballista and the enemies surrounding it was cool as hell for me in Thracia 776. Avoiding horse slayers is another thing. 

The bullshit mechanics you keep on mentioning are not an issue not because I say so, but because they really arent. Everyone who has given thracia a fair shot will say the same thing. Game gives you a scroll to increase skill and a skill ring in the beginning, give it to your healer and they stop missing the moment they get 10 skill. and these scrolls are OP. 

The maps are shit becuase they are very very very simple. Just some defense tiles and a bridge repeat 10x over. I was't even talking aboout the desert or the swamp maps I was more complaining about how basic every maps were.

It is fun blind. Many people found it very fun going in blind, frustrating but in a fun way. 

And why is having to rush to save villages in FE6 chapter 11A a bad thing? Its meant to incentives you to not turtle, I dont know how you can say thats a bad thing by comparing it to FE4. 

But anyways we have gone full circle again lets just agree to disagree. 

9 hours ago, Valkama said:

Your not supposed to know, that's the point. The player during the manster arc is supposed to feel disadvantaged and needs to scrap together anything they can and play the maps cleverly to win. It's what makes the whole thing great. The game still gives you everything you need though through the inventories of the new recruits and the 3 guaranteed chests though so even a player coming in with an unoptimized setup isn't screwed.

Thats why I love that arc the most. And honestly kinda miss that run away chase feel the beginning had. 

39 minutes ago, Emperor said:

Yes I know more mechanics dont make a game have better gameplay but FE6 is alot less for not having skills and the like. And even IS agreed with me which is why they added back in Skills in PoR.

Ha. If you're friends with people in IntSys, I'm the Emperor of Japan.

The bullshit mechanics you keep on mentioning are not an issue not because I say it is, but because they are if everyone who has played Thracia and gave it a fair shot saying, fatiuge is a non issue and heals that miss, while suck, are a non issue should say something. I personally liked Fatigue though but stam pots are sold rather cheaply just kidnap some dudes (want this mechanic back in for reals this time) and sell of their shit. And mention 24x as being another deal breaker seems very petty since you can just skip it. Unlike the fucking winds map in Conquest which is pure ass. 

Doesn't change the fact that there are people who won't agree, and people who consider them dealbreakers (and guess what? Yours truly happens to fall under both of those categories). I find the wind map annoying, but I find that slow and steady wins the race (and I even use the wind to either screw up enemy formations, to get out of a bad position, or as a supplement to my offense).

The maps are shit becuase they are very very very simple. Just some defense tiles and a bridge repeat 10x over. I was't even talking aboout the desert or the swamp maps I was more complaining about how basic every maps were.

Being simple doesn't mean they're bad. I'd much rather have the simple maps from SoV than Genealogy's bloated maps that are a huge slog to go through any day of the week.

Ik echoes was meant to be like gaiden a very faithful remake and all that jazz because the devs loved Gaiden and you can feel the love that was put into it, but echoes is still a lesser game for not having a weapon triangle and weapon durability 

Elitist response. That's all I have to say here.

1 minute ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

Ha. If you're friends with people in IntSys, I'm the Emperor of Japan.

Doesn't change the fact that there are people who won't agree, and people who consider them dealbreakers (and guess what? Yours truly happens to fall under both of those categories). I find the wind map annoying, but I find that slow and steady wins the race (and I even use the wind to either screw up enemy formations, to get out of a bad position, or as a supplement to my offense).

Being simple doesn't mean they're bad. I'd much rather have the simple maps from SoV than Genealogy's bloated maps that are a huge slog to go through any day of the week.

Elitist response. That's all I have to say here.

How the fuck is saying Echoes is a lesser game for not having a weapon triangle/no weapon degrade make me an elitist? I liked Echoes and it was clear from my statement/background picture you rude twat. And I said its cleared they agreed with me because they added back in Skills. They agreed with my though processes that skills are the shit. 

2 minutes ago, Emperor said:

How the fuck is saying Echoes is a lesser game for not having a weapon triangle/no weapon degrade make me an elitist? I liked Echoes and it was clear from my statement/background picture you rude twat. And I said its cleared they agreed with me because they added back in Skills. They agreed with my though processes that skills are the shit. 

Maybe because it just reeks of that mentality? It also makes you look like a hypocrite. I don't see how durability or the weapon triangle would've had a place in Echoes when there's literally only one axe using class, it's enemy only, and said class is no longer relevant after act 2.

Just now, Emperor said:

How am I hypocrite for listing a flaw in echoes? 

Because you go out of your way to downplay or outright sweep Thracia's flaws under the rug.

*Popcorn*

4 minutes ago, Emperor said:

You need some chill. I see nothing in their statements that warrant insults and name calling.

9 minutes ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

Because you go out of your way to downplay or outright sweep Thracia's flaws under the rug.

Well thats because with the exception of warp tiles, everyone agrees that, healing staves missing, and fatiuge are a non issue. Its not just me but everyone who put in the effort into playing Thracia say it. Because shocker, its not. Everyone in this thread that have played Thracia has said the same thing. 

Gaiden having piss poor maps and no axes have always been a point of criticism even amongst old school gaiden fans. But the point of Echoes for me atleast was the writing and the writing is maybe the best in FE. 

Not having weapon triangle is another big thing that almost turned me away from getting echoes from the first place but I heard it had great writing so I figured why not and there is only like, 3 or 4 FE games I can say I dont like anyways so odds are I would have liked this one.

Edited by Emperor

Why are you making such a big deal on people not liking or being interested in Thracia? People will have their preferences about the games they like and dislike. There's no need for this much drama over defending the honour of a game that's nearly 20 years old. 

6 minutes ago, Hardin said:

Why are you making such a big deal on people not liking or being interested in Thracia? People will have their preferences about the games they like and dislike. There's no need for this much drama over defending the honour of a game that's nearly 20 years old. 

What drama are you talking about dude? 

1 hour ago, Emperor said:

Well if FoW did effect the AI it would make the maps alot easier. The point of it is to give the player a challenge

There's a difference between good challenge and bad challenge. Fog of War falls into the latter. It's like taking a math competition, but you are blindfolded while your competitor gets a cheat sheet with all the answers.

And even IS agreed with me which is why they added back in Skills in PoR.

Ooh, this gave me a good laugh. IS doesn't agree with anyone. They decide what's best for each game. If we're going by your logic, then IS heavily disagrees with you because Dismounting hasn't returned and probably never will inb4 FE16 has dismounting.

but echoes is still a lesser game for not having a weapon triangle and weapon durability 

Nah. SoV basically showed how little the Weapon Triangle actually adds to the series. Hell, not even SoV. The original Mystery of the Emblem lacked the Weapon Triangle but nothing felt different compared to other FEs.

Also, you're kinda a hypocrite for calling SoV a lesser game for not having the Weapon Triangle, when the Weapon Triangle matters the least in Thracia.

The maps are shit becuase they are very very very simple.

Simple =/= bad.

everyone who has played Thracia and gave it a fair shot saying, fatiuge is a non issue and heals that miss, while suck, are a non issue should say something.

Everyone has also stated that it's understandable why many people are unwilling to play Thracia.

And why is having to rush to save villages in FE6 chapter 11A a bad thing? Its meant to incentives you to not turtle, I dont know how you can say thats a bad thing by comparing it to FE4. 

Because why should i have to rush if i don't want to? Thankfully, it only happens rarely in FE6 but in FE4, the game basically just forces you to rush. What if, perhaps, the player doesn't want to rush? A game shouldn't punish people for preferring a different playstyle.

Gaiden having piss poor maps and no axes have always been a point of criticism even amongst old school gaiden fans.

Said criticism has also come with the statement that Gaiden was an NES game, and it followed the trend of having sequels uniquely different to the original.

Gaiden having piss poor maps

Those "piss poor maps" are still better than all of FE4's maps.

Well thats because with the exception of warp tiles, everyone agrees that, healing staves missing, and fatiuge are a non issue. Its not just me but everyone who put in the effort into playing Thracia say it. Because shocker, its not. Everyone in this thread that have played Thracia has said the same thing. 

Gaiden having piss poor maps and no axes have always been a point of criticism even amongst old school gaiden fans. But the point of Echoes for me atleast was the writing and the writing is maybe the best in FE. 

Not having weapon triangle is another big thing that almost turned me away from getting echoes from the first place but I heard it had great writing so I figured why not and there is only like, 3 or 4 FE games I can say I dont like anyways so odds are I would have liked this one.

If you think it's okay because everyone else who played it thinks it's okay, then you are hopelessly naïve.

Once again, I have yet to actually play SoV, but I just refuse to buy into it having worse map design than a game where literally every map falls into the same fundamental pitfalls. Also, I don't remember any complaints of no axes in Gaiden, ever. Also, let's not forget that Gaiden was a NES game.

Whining about Echoes not having the weapon triangle is honestly a pretty stupid complaint, because it (or rather, I should say Gaiden, as the weapon triangle didn't exist back then) wasn't built around that (and I'd rather not have the weapon triangle than have it poorly implemented, like was the case in Shadow Dragon).

8 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Ooh, this gave me a good laugh. IS doesn't agree with anyone. They decide what's best for each game. If we're going by your logic, then IS heavily disagrees with you because Dismounting hasn't returned and probably never will inb4 FE16 has dismounting.

Well recently ISIS has been doing stupid decisions like splitting up fates into 3 parts and having no good writers work on it etc. But still removing skills from FE6 was a dumb move.

9 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Also, you're kinda a hypocrite for calling SoV a lesser game for not having the Weapon Triangle, when the Weapon Triangle matters the least in Thracia.

Simple =/= bad.

Well it still does in Thracia and it does and an element of what weapons to use and the like. 

9 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Because why should i have to rush if i don't want to? Thankfully, it only happens rarely in FE6 but in FE4, the game basically just forces you to rush. What if, perhaps, the player doesn't want to rush? A game shouldn't punish people for preferring a different playstyle.

And yes the game should punish you if you are just going to sit on your ass in the corner. Why sould the game reward you by just taking your time. No the game should reward you if you hurry up. Why shouldt I do that in every map? Its the best way to beat any map BUT the incentive is you should hurry up and get the promotion item, or stat booster or even a gaiden chapter. It adds another layer to FE. You are the first person I have seen complain about being rushed to an objective for a sweet reward. You dont have to but giving speed wings to Lilina so she can double/not get doubled is the bomb. That complaint is super casual honestly. Like git gud. getting all the villages in FE6 on hard mode was not even hard. Getting to atleast three villages in I forgot what map in CQ on Hard mode was alot tougher for me atleast. but it was dam fun. If they did not make me rush map would not have been as good. 

15 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Said criticism has also come with the statement that Gaiden was an NES game, and it followed the trend of having sequels uniquely different to the original.

Those "piss poor maps" are still better than all of FE4's maps.

The first FE game had alot better maps then Gaiden though so not really no. 

And the people who say awakening/echoes maps are better then FE4 maps have no idea what they are talking about tbh. moving your mounted units up takes a while, a turn or two but how is that worse then a fucking grind over jpeg and SOMETIMES haveing a defensive tile? Compared to fighting over a country or two? 

37 minutes ago, Emperor said:

Well recently ISIS has been doing stupid decisions like splitting up fates into 3 parts and having no good writers work on it etc.

UH, YOU MIGHT WANNA FIX THAT BUDDY!

Well it still does in Thracia and it does and an element of what weapons to use and the like. 

It does almost nothing in Thracia. The Weapon Triangle fucking sucked in Jugdral. It was either really broken (FE4) or practically non-existent (FE5).

And yes the game should punish you if you are just going to sit on your ass in the corner.

I'm not saying to not do anything.

Why sould the game reward you by just taking your time.

Because it's a strategy game where every decision counts?????? The thing about rushing is that you're more likely to fuck up doing it.

BUT the incentive is you should hurry up and get the promotion item, or stat booster or even a gaiden chapter.

It's not that hard most of the time. In FE6, the turn limit for Gaiden chapters is very generous. If a Thief gets to a chest first, you can always block them off and steal it back, provided it wasn't a weapon.

You are the first person I have seen complain about being rushed to an objective for a sweet reward.

I mean, it's only a complaint with FE4 plus that one chapter in FE6. Otherwise, it's fair. It's just the issue with FE4+FE6 Ch.11A is that the bandits begin to spawn literally right next to the villages.

That complaint is super casual honestly. Like git gud.

And once again with the elitism. Maybe you should git gud in making valid counterpoints instead of just saying "it's not a big deal" and eltist comments like "x complaint is casual".

And the people who say awakening/echoes maps are better then FE4 maps have no idea what they are talking about tbh. moving your mounted units up takes a while, a turn or two but how is that worse then a fucking grind over jpeg and SOMETIMES haveing a defensive tile? Compared to fighting over a country or two?

People who say FE4 has good maps have no idea what they are talking about tbh. Apparently, to them, having huge slogs of maps that essentially renders infantry units useless and make mounted units literal Gods, thus causing a massive unit balance problem, is somehow better than smaller, simpler maps where every unit has a chance to shine, regardless of whether they are infantry or mounted.

Oh, and we can't forget FE4 Ch.2, where, not only is the map huge, it forces you to backtrack. Forced backtracking in a strategy game, how fucking wonderful. It gets even better when you realize that during that period of backtracking, it's just empty space with nothing. Amazing game design, Kaga. Oh, and we can't forget Ch.7. Desert maps are terrible. It's a known fact. Here's one that covers half the map. Have fun.

Edited by Armagon

if you dont want to rush and would rather the game reward you for sitting on your ass and turtling that is a casual MCwhooper with a side of fries. I dont know what else to tell you.  

Git gud, to get the stat boosters or dont and not get them. Its meant to be a challenge. And you complaining about it being to hard is a casual deluxe.

And you would not have to back track that much if you left some troops to guard the palace or near enough to run back. they want you to split the army and I never thought it was a big deal until the very last chapter when leif's sister who has the fucking Gae Bolg (how that wepon kills you and how you use it is fucking metal as fuck in irish lore) comes. But I see why some people are turned off by it and I already said why I see why people dont like FE4 maps many times. And I never understood this whole "infantry does not get a chance to shine in fe4" statment. Marissa and Azelle were both my top dogs in the first gen. 

Its 100% skipable chapters and mechanics that are easy as hell to get by/avoid that I dont get but I said already and before we are going in circle and just agree to disagree since this is getting boring since we are going in circles. 

8 minutes ago, Emperor said:

if you dont want to rush and would rather the game reward you for sitting on your ass and turtling that is a casual MCwhooper with a side of fries. I dont know what else to tell you.  

Git gud, to get the stat boosters or dont and not get them. Its meant to be a challenge. And you complaining about it being to hard is a casual deluxe.

And you would not have to back track that much if you left some troops to guard the palace or near enough to run back. they want you to split the army and I never thought it was a big deal until the very last chapter when leif's sister who has the fucking Gae Bolg (how that wepon kills you and how you use it is fucking metal as fuck in irish lore) comes. But I see why some people are turned off by it and I already said why I see why people dont like FE4 maps many times. And I never understood this whole "infantry does not get a chance to shine in fe4" statment. Marissa and Azelle were both my top dogs in the first gen. 

Its 100% skipable chapters and mechanics that are easy as hell to get by/avoid that I dont get but I said already and before we are going in circle and just agree to disagree since this is getting boring since we are going in circles. 

And you say you aren't an elitist? Oh my, that's rich, especially when you regularly use "git gud", which oozes elitism.

As for infantry not getting a chance to shine, that should be pretty obvious - with how long it takes just to start fighting, your mounts would likely have killed most of the enemies by the time your foot units got to the battle, which results in them either getting no exp at all or being left with table scraps, unless you constantly slow down.

52 minutes ago, Emperor said:

I could literally say the same thing, except replacing "Awakening/Echoes" with "FE4", and switching words around to match. Except Armagon did that already.

5 minutes ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

I could literally say the same thing, except replacing "Awakening/Echoes" with "FE4", and switching words around to match. Except Armagon did that already.

You could, you could do alot of things but that wouldt make a whole lot of sense since, you know, FE4 maps arent just a jpg of tree roots with nothing but has defense tiles, forts, castles, terrains, etc etc. And if me saying git gud makes me an elitist then whatever at this point. Maps that push me to get a bonus incentive are the best but if you people want to remove those incentives or make it easier which is casual lets not beat around the bush I will say you are a casual. If the game confirms to the player shit gets boring. (Skyrim, Modern Mario) but if the world/game gives the player the middle finger at every turn and you come out of it gloriously shit is fun and feels good as well (Morrowind/ Your first Souls game)  

6 minutes ago, Emperor said:

You could, you could do alot of things but that wouldt make a whole lot of sense since, you know, FE4 maps arent just a jpg of tree roots with nothing but has defense tiles, forts, castles, terrains, etc etc. And if me saying git gud makes me an elitist then whatever at this point. Maps that push me to get a bonus incentive are the best but if you people want to remove those incentives or make it easier which is casual lets not beat around the bush I will say you are a casual. If the game confirms to the player shit gets boring. (Skyrim, Modern Mario) but if the world/game gives the player the middle finger at every turn and you come out of it gloriously shit is fun and feels good as well (Morrowind/ Your first Souls game)  

You're right... Because FE4 maps manage to be something even worse, aka a borefest. Also, it does feel good to overcome challenges, but that only applies if it was legitimate challenge, not the BS that results from poor design.