FE Switch Arena

Kazuya

I swear if the arena isn't as great as it was in 4, I'm gonna be sad. I love the arena, it's probably the main reason I cherish 11 so much. I would just love to see the arena back to its former glory, you know?

The arenas in FE4 were really cool. I would also prefer they return, it's a faster and fairer way of grinding imo. And this time they better include a remix of a previous battle theme unlike in Fates!

I wouldn't mind an arena system that limits you to x amount of fights before they cut that character off. After all, it's bad for business if one of your guys just keeps winning all the time. Not sure how I feel about fixed opponents. Sort of keeps weak guys weak if they're roadblocked while your stronger guys are rewarded for being too powerful. Taking in your own weapon is a keeper though, as is being able to repair weapons at base, but that's another discussion entirely about weapon durability and forge mechanics.

I quite liked Fates' arena system in that you chose the stakes but I'd prefer it if you just bet gold rather than castle resources (which were a mistake). 

One thing I do like about FE4 is the way the arena opponents are the same every time and that you can bring your own weapons into the arena with you. It makes success a little less random, which is always welcome.

I don't really see what was so amazing about FE4's arena, other than the whole "you don't die if you lose in the arena" thing. The whole fixed opponents thing winds up being a case of "the rich get richer" in practice - if a unit has a severe disadvantage against opponent X that they can't overcome, well, the final curtain just dropped on their arena run.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

I kinda prefered fate' more low stakes arena battles, maybe betting gold with a maximum gain before you get kicked out (with the owner being noticeably angry), no experience gains (weapon experience is ok though) and you don't die would be nice (I can't justify experience without risk of death). I really just like the environment anyways, here's hoping for an animated crowd on par with the boxing ring in smash.

I also think that having the arenas having a questline to them would be kind of neat, like if the arena is in your base or whatever using it enough will make special opponents show up to challenge you and they could be characters from across the series r if you have it like some of the older games where the arena is out in the maps visiting all of them with specific characters and winning could net you some rewards other than money or experience.

On 18/8/2017 at 7:43 AM, thecrimsonflash said:

I kinda prefered fate' more low stakes arena battles, maybe betting gold with a maximum gain before you get kicked out (with the owner being noticeably angry), no experience gains (weapon experience is ok though) and you don't die would be nice (I can't justify experience without risk of death). I really just like the environment anyways, here's hoping for an animated crowd on par with the boxing ring in smash.

I also think that having the arenas having a questline to them would be kind of neat, like if the arena is in your base or whatever using it enough will make special opponents show up to challenge you and they could be characters from across the series r if you have it like some of the older games where the arena is out in the maps visiting all of them with specific characters and winning could net you some rewards other than money or experience.

I don't know an arena where if you lose your character don't die what's this Fate 2.0, the original purpose of the arena was that you risk your characters life in exchange for gold and exp what's the point on having an arena if you can't lose anything important not a pearl or some rice. 

43 minutes ago, linkhuesitos said:

I don't know an arena where if you lose your character don't die what's this Fate 2.0, the original purpose of the arena was that you risk your characters life in exchange for gold and exp what's the point on having an arena if you can't lose anything important not a pearl or some rice. 

Unless you are an arena whore, you won't visit ever because of the risk of death by lucky critical, personally, I don't use the arenas unless I'm going to spent at least 30 turns leveling someone up to 20, I would much rather rather an arena with more substance to it. I would prefer not having someone die just because the rng gave a brigand a critical with a 1% chance. 

If they do go for the og arena experience they should have the arena run out of enemies after enough wins.

1 hour ago, thecrimsonflash said:

Unless you are an arena whore, you won't visit ever because of the risk of death by lucky critical, personally, I don't use the arenas unless I'm going to spent at least 30 turns leveling someone up to 20, I would much rather rather an arena with more substance to it. I would prefer not having someone die just because the rng gave a brigand a critical with a 1% chance. 

If they do go for the og arena experience they should have the arena run out of enemies after enough wins.

I agree with the limited number of enemies but also you know that the 1% crit bullshit can happen anywhere not only on the Arena and in all cases you can know the difficulty of your enemy with the quantity of gold you bet.

• 2 weeks later...

I really like the arena concept but I hope they return to FE4's application of the arena as this game handled it the best. Additionally the ability to mend weapons needs to return this was an awesome concept and it makes me sad that it has never been reused. Now I like the idea of certain maps having an areana that the player can access like in the GBA games, but overall I believe that the arena of FE4 is #1.

On 8/19/2017 at 0:57 PM, linkhuesitos said:

FE4's arena did not have permadeath. Characters that lose were left at 1 HP. Heal them up, send them back in. No penalties. 

I wouldn't mind Switch arena to be similar to FE4 arena. However, I do think the enemies should be randomized, instead of having fixed opponents. No permadeath by arenas is a good thing, as well as being able to choose which weapon the unit will fight with.

Having only a fixed number of opponents is also not bad, although this means complete arena abuse with a character may not be possible. Then again, it's not like arena abuse is necessary.

11 hours ago, SavageVolug said:

I really like the arena concept but I hope they return to FE4's application of the arena as this game handled it the best. Additionally the ability to mend weapons needs to return this was an awesome concept and it makes me sad that it has never been reused. Now I like the idea of certain maps having an areana that the player can access like in the GBA games, but overall I believe that the arena of FE4 is #1.

I disagree that FE4 handled the arena well - fixed opponents honestly does more harm than good.

I wasn't referring so much to the predictable unit type but more aspects such as that it was accessed by the home base so to speak, because you do raise a good point. Random enemy units are enjoyable, but I was thinking of things like even if defeated it didn't count as a death for your units which I thinks makes sense it's an arena they're not going to be fighting to the death, and where prior to starting the main battle of said chapter you could first take all your units through the arena. Additionally, instead of cavaliers for instance being locked to only using swords in the arena, I liked knowing what I was facing as the Arena Guy would tell me at which point if I wanted I could switch from swords to lances. This aspect is especially helpful when going up against a lance cavalier for instance.