Best Candidate for Distant Counter?

SaMaster14

11 minutes ago, Lord-Zero said:

Which units do you have? Melee units with good/decent Res like Lloyd, Eliwood and Zephiel benefit from it. Amelia also benefits from it. 

I was thinking about Zephiel!

I have a ton of units, so I didn’t want to list them all, rather just get everyone’s opinion and see what lines up!

I know the armor units like having Distant Counter, especially if you plan on using Armor Emblem. Zephiel is always a good choice. I also find that Lloyd is a good choice as well. When I got a second Hector however, I put DC on my Titania. She's basically the ultimately Reinhardt killer. Honestly, blue mages give me the most trouble in the Arena, she when I can run her, she's a lifesaver. She basically takes zero damage and can kill them on her counter. Eldigan with DC would be kind of a pseudo-Xander. I've actually seen a lot of Azuras with DC in the Arena. It's probably not a great choice, but it can be super annoying. >.>

The best units would either be armous so they're not mage bait or high res (usually green) units like Camilla or Titania. 

I would say it's a good investment for zephiel because Wary Fighter means he usually won't get one-shotted at full health (unless you're against Reinhardt)

whoever you give it must take a hit, so someone with bulk is great. Also good for those with Quick Riposte.

I'd say either armors (due to their huge bulk) or units geared towards mage killing (Titania and Lloyd come to mind). You can also give it to units like Azura or Olivia to annoy your opponents in arena or your favorite unit if it isn't made of paper. In my case I'm considering giving DC to a +Res -HP Eirika with Ruby Sword+ to counter green mages (yes, this isn't optimal and others do this better, but she's best girl to me and it'll work on Eirika-Emblem).

48 minutes ago, Rafiel's Aria said:

I've actually seen a lot of Azuras with DC in the Arena. It's probably not a great choice, but it can be super annoying. >.>

Depends on your goal for her on the team, really. If your team is based around Nino (like mine), one of your worst enemies is the red mage. Running a blue with a stellar Player Phase (Sing) and a red-crushing Enemy Phase (DC/QR/Sapphire/Moonbow has perfect red coverage barring Cancel Affinity and defensive buffs/tiles, last I looked) is pretty strong in that context. With some light defensive buffing (not uncommon on a team running Nino), QR usually doesn't even break after the first red, and is pretty safe to run over WoM because a -blade team should maintain a reasonably tight formation. It is a pretty specific case, though.

~

As far as the actual question...it looks like the good options (armors in general, units with high res or at least halfway-decent mixed bulk*, units you want to make into niche counters for a certain color) have all been mentioned.

*Such units would also need the Atk and/or Spd stats to actually land KOs without a stat-boosting A Passive.

Edited by LordFrigid

Armors really like Distant Counter, but if you don't plan on building any of them, the single best user of DC imo is Emerald Axe Camila at the moment. Roy is also a pretty good choice, actually.

Edited by SatsumaFSoysoy

Really high BST units, or units with good bulk, and offense at the same time, and someone who can take care of problems with speed as well. So in my experience essentially armor emblem. Units like WF 3 Zephiel, or WF 3 Sheena are great candidates. Effie can use it too, but I find her better off with a skill that increases her insanely high offense even further.

Just for variety, maybe killer effect weapon + quick riposte + 4 charge special could be interestig for a Distant Counter user?

something like Michalis with QR and Ignis? The extra reach means he's can activate Ignis faster although he will be susceptible to bows.

maybe a better example would be Lukas or Killer lance Oboro with Bonfire/Ignis and Quick riposte.

9 minutes ago, mcsilas said:

Just for variety, maybe killer effect weapon + quick riposte + 4 charge special could be interestig for a Distant Counter user?

something like Michalis with QR and Ignis? The extra reach means he's can activate Ignis faster although he will be susceptible to bows.

maybe a better example would be Lukas or Killer lance Oboro with Bonfire/Ignis and Quick riposte.

Actually I was thinking to give my +RES Hawkeye DC + QR. He could then run glacies instead of iceberg. But I'm not sure if he would survive most of the Reinhardt builds, since some of the higher merged Reinhardts (DB3, QP, Moonbow) kill most of my R-Counters. 

Already said, but Zephiel and Eliwood are good candidates. Anna is also good if you were looking at the Askr trio. At 28 res and 38 speed, Anna tanks well and won't get doubled by any mage except for when they have combinations of life and death and hone spd, or being merged. Plus it's extremely rare for people to equip their mages with axebreaker, since failing to double axe users is so rare for them. Counter plus Vantage makes Anna a good mage killer, but she's also viable with a less expensive Fury + Desperation set, especially for the purposes of arena, which is where most players are using their Askr trio. Just throwing it out there.

I have an extra Hector too.

What do people think of Berkut's Lance+ and DC for Effie? 1 less atk than silver lance for +4 res when defending. I know Brave Lance is a popular build but I don't think that would combo well with DC. I could give it to Zephiel but I'd perfer to have someone who can kill red mages that Hector can't.

Edited by NekoKnight

I have Sheena (Atk+/spe-) with Distant Counter and QR and I'm really glad about her, her Res/Def is nice so she can counter in many situations (byebye Reinhardt).

Another candidate I would recommend is Gwendolyne (atk+/res+ spe-), she has higher Res than Effie and with Berkut's Lance her Res looks not too bad (32 with neutral Res and Berkut's lance).
Of course her atk lacks a bit.
I just like underdogs, so I would not only look at Effie :D.

We can hope that in the future we will see a red armored Unit with Res which is high enough. D=

Also some like Camilla/Elliwood have been mentioned before. So all Close Combat Units which have a solid Res can profit from DC. 

6 hours ago, NekoKnight said:

I have an extra Hector too.

What do people think of Berkut's Lance+ and DC for Effie? 1 less atk than silver lance for +4 res when defending. I know Brave Lance is a popular build but I don't think that would combo well with DC. I could give it to Zephiel but I'd perfer to have someone who can kill red mages that Hector can't.

I think it's great idea. For armor emblem DC Effie is better than Zephiel imho as red mages are worse for Hector than green. Berkut lance would certainly improve that potential too.