Most unfortunate thing to occur to you in a game?

Fryer

Once while playing Pokemon Platinum, I had encountered a Shiny Houndour. I successfully captured it and found it had a Timid nature and a flawless Sp.Atk stat.

This was on an emulator in my Android. Absolutely no chance of it being transferred.

Power outages when you haven't saved for a while. I know that's not in-game but holy shit is it a frustrating feeling.

RPGs that don't let you save anywhere you want except for save points. Died in a dungeon right before the boss and had to redo the whole dungeon.

Also ran into a shiny Bibarel in Platinum but it was in the Great Marsh. You can see how that turned out.

Edited by Ronnie

In FE, in every game, I always get more than one no-up, even when I shouldn't. 

Pokemon wise, I lost my original pokemon bank, my new one is glitched, and I've lost A LOT of shinies and Legends. 

I've lost a lot to an easy boss in FF4 due to the boss decided to be a jerk for no reason. 

In FF 10 forgetting to get Valefor's other Overdrive on Besaid so going back to Besaid and forgetting in order to get into Besaid again, you have to fight Dark Valefor, which I was horribly under leveled for at the point in the game.

Also in Sims, after hours of making the perfect family and their perfect house (And not saving for those hours), 'Sims.exe has stopped working'. All drive to play the game is gone.

My younger brother erasing my file on Zelda: TMC. Twice. Before I finally could finish it for the first time. Does that count? xP

Edited by Anacybele

2 hours ago, Ronnie said:

RPGs that don't let you save anywhere you want except for save points

What's more worse are games that have limited saves. I remember watching a let's player play the original White Day (a horror game), so I can only imagine how annoying it must have been to keep track of the markers (which were needed to save at a save point).

Anyways, deaths in Fire Emblem are probably the most unfortunate thing to happen to me. I remember my first playthrough of FE4, during which, in chapter 2, I placed Fury in a enemy archer's range by mistake. It didn't help that I realized it during the enemy phase and I had saved the game just soon after I placed her. Since I didn't know the Valkyrie Staff existed, I had to restart the whole game (I used to keep only one save file. Silly me.)

Also, losing save files really sucks as well. When I reached a certain point in an Snes game, I saved at the save point. Then when I played it again tomorrow, I noticed that my save file was gone. I actually cried at that time (I was young at the time, so...). I don't know why it got deleted by itself (I assume it was some kind of bug....?)

Another Snes game I used to play froze during a certain point, every single time. So I couldn't progress, but fortunately, I downloaded the rom on my new laptop, and it works.

Edited by Flee Fleet!

26 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

My younger brother erasing my file on Zelda: TMC. Twice. Before I finally could finish it for the first time. Does that count? xP

I had something similar happen to me, though it was my sister (I don't have any brothers) and the game was FE11.  I was on Chapter 24 too.  It was an accident though, we blamed it on the touch screen.

Besides that, there was once a time rather recently where I was just wrapping up Chapter 11 on Conquest Hard/Classic.  Every enemy was dead except Hinoka, both the chests were looted, all of my units were alive...  

...Hinoka proceeded to land a crit when she had a 52% hitrate and 1% Critrate and killed one of my units.

8 minutes ago, Glaceon Mage said:

I had something similar happen to me, though it was my sister (I don't have any brothers) and the game was FE11.  I was on Chapter 24 too.  It was an accident though, we blamed it on the touch screen.

Besides that, there was once a time rather recently where I was just wrapping up Chapter 11 on Conquest Hard/Classic.  Every enemy was dead except Hinoka, both the chests were looted, all of my units were alive...  

...Hinoka proceeded to land a crit when she had a 52% hitrate and 1% Critrate and killed one of my units.

I have no sisters. I wish I had one...

And wow, that is pretty unfortunate. o.O

Times I didn't save often enough - Skies of Arcadia- most of the Blue Moon area, including the political intrigue, the water dungeon, and the fight with the gigas. Dragon Quest 9- wasted several hours of metal slimes + legacy bosses because DS glitched (random numbers/symblols in the save menu instead of text)  Shin Megami Tensei 4- about 4-8 hours of work lost, don't remember exact boss/dungeons involved. Quest 64- I did Green Hole without saving. I regretted that a lot more than any of these others....

MDK2- The checkpoints in this game are a little peculiar, in that they will save your existing health/powerups without replacing them should you retry at the checkpoint, so when you hit say, the 4th or 5th checkpoint in the level, you end up commited with those resources unless you want to play the entire level again. Let's just say that I got int a loop of death because I had hit checkpoint (I think 7d) with less than 30 health, and had to commit to doing a complicated section without taking any hits at all. 

Hardware- N64 controller Packs.Enough Said. Mario Tennis N64 had it's EEPROM fail as well. part of me wants to unlock the hidden difficulty again..... Bully PS2, Steambot Chronicles PS2, Super Smash Bros Melee, Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, and Grafiti Kingdom - lost to disc scratches etc. Monaco- Lag spike during some speedruns (Lyon's Den comes to mind). I once deleted someone's SNES Donkey Kong Country 3 file through vibration. Probably the main reason I use GBA ports to play most SNES games. 

MultiPlayer- Turn 20 Chance time in Mario Party. Shenanigans involving all of my team's  randomly spawning in same part of the map in Worms Armagedon. Timesplitter's 2- I can't complete the Co-op Story because the Jungle level sends you to an endless loading screen (even though it works fine in Single player and every level up to it works fine). 

Deleted Save files- Okami after the first Orochi Fight, Cubivore after 2 bear loops, Ocarina of Time up to the well, Paper Mario after Shy Guy's Toy Box, couple others. None of these games felt too long to replay.

Edited by Reality

F-Zero GX every loss in Master difficulty ever and trying to beat Story chapters on Very Hard and failing by milliseconds.

Nioh...game is just merciless.  When you die you have the chance to go to where you died and pick up your spirit animal and exp you dropped but the enemies always respawn so I regularly die right then or before then.

My brain fortunately can't remember every little gaming incident within a game. but when my first PS3 died, I lost all my progress on Valkyria Chronicles and Tales of Graces, plus my Digital Devil Saga 1 file which I would have transferred into DDS 2 (I'll just have to settle playing on Normal without the transfer Rings and Skills- thank goodness I didn't go for the Amala Ring or all maxed out Mantras- now that would have been rage inducing). I also lost my Nocturne file- I had cleared the game on Hard on the "Return the world to normal route", but had a second file before attempting the 5th Kalpa I had planned to go TDE on. I also had a memory wipe on GBA Tales of Phantasia when all I had left were the final dungeon and bonus dungeon.

I also once lost a bunch of GBA and DS games (Advance Wars Days of Ruin and a load of Pokemon games) at school once. Curiously, I later bought DoR again- there was a Campaign file that stopped at Waylon Flies Again- which was exactly where I had gotten stuck. Did I rebuy my old copy??? Well all the Design Room maps were gone, and I think the Trial Maps were cleared differently from what I had done too, but then maybe not.

I had at my grandparents' house a second Gamecube and a bunch of games with it. When one of them died, i went back over to take some of the stuff back- but my Pokemon Coliseum copy (complete with Jirachi Bonus Disk) was gone, as was the Gamecube with GBA Player attachment, and a bunch of game guides, Nintendo Power magazines, and the LoZ Anniversary Gamecube collection- (the thing with LoZ, AoL, OoT, MM, and some WW demos on it), and the OoT with Master Quest. What happened to all that stuff? Well my grandparents' were too kind and let a societal leech of a relative (and druggie as I've come to realize in my maturity) live with them. They must have sold the stuff for cash. I will never forgive them. And coincidentally, I still have, right nearby, the GBA Player Disk- forever without the base which it supports (or games, since I sold my GBA collection a while ago).

Lastly, I once had a sibling delete a SM64DS fIle of mine- a file with 100+ Stars! (The ones I hadn't obtained were mostly DIre Dire Docks and Jolly Roger- I have an irrational phobia of 3D platformer water levels- blame a childhood with SM64's Unagi the Eel, Sushi the Shark, and also the shark in Banjo Kazooie; Gringills in SMG and even Cheep Cheeps in SMS scare me to this day, but not as much.)

I was pretty bummed out at my brother and my mom for deleting my Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Red Rescue Team file. I had it in the gameboy player on the gamecube, and my brother proceeds to turn it on and start a new file. He got confused at the personality test and called my mom in, she couldn't figure out how to get him to a part where he could play either, so they called me in. Big mistake. I was mad. I think I yelled and said things I regretted later. My brother was like 4 or 5 at the time. Don't remember how far I was, but then I was stuck with an art folder in school decorated with a charizard and swampert who would never exist. I drew my hero and partner on it fully evolved. Asked for a new folder and got told no. It sucked. I had to start completely from scratch again, with a torchic and chikorita.

The most recent thing was a hardware-related crash on Way of the Samurai 4's PC port during the ending of the secret route. Anyone who's played 4 and gotten that route probably remembers well the hell you have to go through in that route's endgame, which is why I haven't gone back to it yet.

Edited by AzureSen

At one point I had a save file in Pokemon with a Deoxys my cousin(who was from Japan, I might add) traded me, along with my first ever Shiny, a Torkoal. At the time, I didn't know what a Shiny was and just thought it was weird that my Torkoal was yellowish instead of normal. I also was not aware of Deoxys' Rarity. I was also at the point in life where I would continuously get bored of a save file and just start over.

You can piece together what happened.

The worst I had was when I used Xane in one of the later chapters for Shadow Dragon DS, and when the battle screen froze up when I sent him to battle. :sob: Apparently I need to turn animation off for Xane because apparently he's evil... :evil:

53 minutes ago, SoulWeaver said:

At one point I had a save file in Pokemon with a Deoxys my cousin(who was from Japan, I might add) traded me, along with my first ever Shiny, a Torkoal. At the time, I didn't know what a Shiny was and just thought it was weird that my Torkoal was yellowish instead of normal. I also was not aware of Deoxys' Rarity. I was also at the point in life where I would continuously get bored of a save file and just start over.

You can piece together what happened.

Well, good thing deoxys is available in ORAS during the delta episode.

as for your torkoal, I am so sorry for your loss

My Pokemon Ranger shadows of almia 100% playthrough being corrupted, it was also nostalgic to me, I cried for two days, then on the third I grabbed my ds and proceeded to get back to where I was within 2-3 days besides me not being max level.

That was out of my hands, but also a sad moment for me was resetting over my very first pokemon game, which for anyone would be heartfelt. I did it as even with a level 100 I couldn't get past the first elite 4 member, and due to it knowing surf and me not being able to find the move deleter, he didn't get transferred (though on my heartgold, black, and somewhat white 2 files, I do ocasionally find mons that I transferred from that file, like my flareon and my Moltres) and he got deleted, looking back I was an idiot as he only knew water type moves, but I still have memories of my first starter and the journey to level 100 Blastoise.

I've had some unfortunate glitches related to achievements that I worked really hard on. Like a few months ago in Dark Souls 3 the achievement for getting every miracle. It's pretty common for those achievements to not unlock for people, but none of the fixes people found have worked for me. And years ago when I was going for 100% completion in the original Assassin's Creed, there's a hidden achievement that I had to play through the whole game again if I wanted to unlock. After getting 100% of collectibles, I was not up for that, leaving me with 980/1000 gamerscore.

17 hours ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

Well, good thing deoxys is available in ORAS during the delta episode.

as for your torkoal, I am so sorry for your loss

Yeah, but it still hurt once I realized what I'd done a couple years later - it was an original Japanese Deoxys, not exactly easy to get even now, but somehow my cousin thought to get one for me while in Japan, and went through the effort of finding where to get it, and then I just kind of threw it away like that.

That Torkoal is the reason I've never even tried looking for a Shiny ever again - it's weird, but kind of 'in memory' or whatever.

Another really frustrating thing to occur to me has been in Arcana Heart 3 Love Max on the Vita. For whatever reason, every time I clear the Story Mode with at least two characters(Lilica and Zenia, maybe more that I haven't done it with yet) the game freezes up and I have to close and reopen the game and lose the story progress. If anyone knows how to fix that, btw, I'd love to hear it.