RETURN OF: Karnage's Brain Teasers. Day 5

Captain Karnage

so I'm bringing back my brainteaser thread I made last year

the rules are the exact same

place your answers in a spoiler

and thats it

since the questions involve names I'll occasionally put a few usernames of people who post in this section

DAY 1

Karnage was standing in the post officle looking at a "wanted" poster. Someone asked him who the man in the picture was and Karnage replied "Brothers and sisters I have none, but this man's father is my father's son". Whose picture was on the poster that Karnage was looking at?

Edited by Captain Karnage

Alright, this is cool. I like brainteasers.

Spoiler

The man in the poster is Karnage's son.

Reasons:

Spoiler

Since Karnage is an only child, "my father's son" has to mean Karnage. As such, you can replace "my father's son" with Karnage, making the last statement "but this man's father is Karnage." Ergo, the man in the poster is Karnage's son.

Edited by Rex Glacies

Oh my, how elementary!

Spoiler

The answer is simply Karnage himself.

Mind you, the word "office" is spelled incorrectly.

Edited by Clarine

Day 1 answer: his son

Day  2

which one of of the following words does not belong with the others and why?

Father

Aunt

Sister

Cousin

Mother 

Uncle

Spoiler

I'm guessing cousin since:

Mother - Father

Aunt - Uncle 

Sister - Brother

There should be brother, but instead it's cousin? I'm not 100% sure but I figured it's worth a guess lol

Spoiler

Cousin, for it is the only one that is not locked to a specific gender. (E.g. Uncle is always male, sister is always female, etc. Cousin, on the other hand, can be either male or female.)

Spoiler

It is either Cousin because it replaces brother; 

Cousin as it has no relation to clergy.  For instance: Sister can be a nun's title; A priest is called Father (His title) by all, aside from his own children, who call him Uncle in specific christian religions; A mother would be an Aunt to her children, same as uncle.  Cousin does not belong.

On 8/21/2017 at 5:54 PM, Rezzy said:

What was the answer to the last one?

Reveal hidden contents

Cousin. The others are gender specific

winner winner chicken dinner

I'm too lazy to explain it so I'm quoting the first right answer

day 3

Rezzy has five bags of candies to give her nieces. Four of the bags have a total of 84 candies, the fifth contains four candies less than the average of the five bags. How many candies are in the fifth bags?

Ah great, math... probably.

Spoiler

20, or less. It seems too obvious, but that's less than the average, so I'm going with it.

Edit: ignore this.

Edited by Rex Glacies

9 minutes ago, Rex Glacies said:

Ah great, math... probably.

Hide contents

20, or less. It seems too obvious, but that's less than the average, so I'm going with it.

updated, i forgot to include a number

44 minutes ago, Captain Karnage said:

winner winner chicken dinner

I'm too lazy to explain it so I'm quoting the first right answer

day 3

Rezzy has five bags of candies to give her nieces. Four of the bags have a total of 84 candies, the fifth contains four candies less than the average of the five bags. How many candies are in the fifth bags?

Spoiler

84+16=100 total

100/5=20

20-4=16

Spoiler

Four of the bags have a total of 84 candies, the fifth contains four candies less than the average of the five bags. How many candies are in the fifth bags?

I don't know.  There's 4 bags with 84 total.  Combined, right? So... 84/4, I guess. so, there's 21 in each bag.21+21+21+21 is 84, but add another 21 and we get 105. the average of that is 21, minus four is 17.  That'd be my answer, but I don't think that's right. Because If I plug it in for the fifth bag, it gives me 101. So that's not right.  (I'm a college student and I'm failing at this.) Then again not all answers turn out to be whole numbers. So, algebra.  I think you use the substitution method for this one. Wait, 17 does not = 21. it is different by 4. Wait. The five bags have a total.  the four is 84, and then there's a total with the 5th one. so.... there's 84, take that away from the total. But what is the total? The total needs to be divisible by 5 to make the candies whole. So, in the bag, the closest number divisible by 5 to the previous total of 101 is 100. I use the total of 100 there because 105, while going into 5, does not match up with the "4 less than the average" 100 is a safer starting place, while also being a perfect square.  Subtracting 84 from 100 gives 16.  one off.  Well, the average is 100/5.  That's 20. 20-4 = 16.   It's 16.  

I can't believe I got that.  But here's the real question: Why give all but one neice 5 more candies in her bag? That's not fair!

Spoiler

The four candies are redistributed. (84 candies in four bags - 4 more than the average in those four bags) / 4 bags = 20 candies in four bags. The fifth has four less than the average of the five bags so... 20 - 4 = 16 candies in the fifth bag.

Although I feel like we can look at it differently? We are sure there are 100 candies total, right? I think it has to be 100 candies because of how the four candies are redistributed to the four bags that have 4 candies above the average of five bags.