RETURN OF: Karnage's Brain Teasers. Day 5

Captain Karnage

Spoiler

If x is the number of candies if the fifth bag, there's 84+x candies in total. Thus, (84+x)/5 is the average.

Since we know that x=average-4, we know that x=(84+x)/5 - 4 = (84+x)/5 - 20/5 = (64+x)/5

Multiplying both sides by 5 gives us: 5x= 64+x, so 4x=64, which means that x=16.

So the answer is 16.

Edit: @Lord Tullus it's nowhere stated that every other bag contains 21 candies, only that the total of them is 84. It might be that of the five bags, 4 contain 16 candies, and the final one contains 31. (Not that that makes it any less odd, but still...)

I like math questions...

Edited by Bartozio

19 hours ago, Rex Glacies said:

OK, I was thinking something didn't sound right.

Hide contents

I think the answer is 16.

You Are Winnar ! !

Day 4___________

If it takes Rex 3 hours to paint a fence, and it takes Eclipse 6 hours to complete the same job. How long would it take both of them working together at their normal paces to complete the same job?

Just take a page out of Tom Sawyer's book and make someone else do it.

Spoiler

I believe it would take two hours.

Reasons:

Spoiler

I can get 1/3 of the fence done in 1 hour, and Eclipse 1/3 in two hours. Therefore, in two hours, Eclipse would have gotten 1/3rd done, and myself 2/3rds; ergo, the fence is done in two hours.

Zero because sane people pay someone else to do it!

Spoiler

Two hours.

Rex accomplishes in an hour (1/3 fence) what Eclipse does in two hours (1/3 fence). By the that time, Rex would already do twice the work therefore finishing painting the fence.

20 hours ago, Rex Glacies said:

Just take a page out of Tom Sawyer's book and make someone else do it.

Hide contents

I believe it would take two hours.

Reasons:

Hide contents

I can get 1/3 of the fence done in 1 hour, and Eclipse 1/3 in two hours. Therefore, in two hours, Eclipse would have gotten 1/3rd done, and myself 2/3rds; ergo, the fence is done in two hours.

You sir are correct

Day 5

_________

Following World War II, freezers and frozen food grew in popularity. Fish was an immediate success as a frozen item, but sales soon droped because the fish tasted flat. The fish underwent chemical changes while being brought to shore and before they could be frozen. Soon the fish processing companies decided to transport the fish live in large tanks untill they reached docks where they could be frozen. The fish still tasted flat because they did not move around as normal as they do in their natural habitat. What would be the easiest way, after capture, to keep the fish swimming as they do in their natural habitat?

4 hours ago, Captain Karnage said:

You sir are correct

Day 5

_________

Following World War II, freezers and frozen food grew in popularity. Fish was an immediate success as a frozen item, but sales soon droped because the fish tasted flat. The fish underwent chemical changes while being brought to shore and before they could be frozen. Soon the fish processing companies decided to transport the fish live in large tanks untill they reached docks where they could be frozen. The fish still tasted flat because they did not move around as normal as they do in their natural habitat. What would be the easiest way, after capture, to keep the fish swimming as they do in their natural habitat?

Spoiler

Just freeze them out at sea.

Alternately, keep them in cages underwater and tow them back to shore.

Spoiler

The way the fishing companies treat fish though...

Hm. Large enough tanks did not help? I do not have much of an idea then. I guess big enough tank with constant oxygen supply because you cannot rely on oxygen in water during long transports. Maybe also properly insulated so that the water temperature is constantly enough for the fish to feel lively.

Maybe leave the nets underwater while the boat is going to the port but I do not know whether that is also used by big fishing companies and they still need to transport them on land then.