Fire Emblem Anime! Is It The Right Time To Try Again?

Espiritu

On 8/24/2017 at 11:24 AM, Hardin said:

I don't think it would be practical to have a FE animated series, because the franchise is constantly changing its cast and setting. By the time a decent product would be ready, we'd already be on the next game

I would be ok if they did it to flesh out a older game with more back story and char development.

But why? An animated series would be to promote the franchise, and spending all that cash on something that's no longer relevant just doesn't make sense. 

18 minutes ago, Hardin said:

But why? An animated series would be to promote the franchise, and spending all that cash on something that's no longer relevant just doesn't make sense. 

Well, say they announce they're remaking Jugdral or something. It'd probably take a few years to get Geneaology and Thracia out the door. Say they did an anime showing the war between the Earth dragons and the rest of the dragons, and Loptyr empowering Galle, showing the formation of Grandbell and then the 12 Crusaders and the dragons they made pacts with defeating the Lopto Sect and Galle(Or, alternatively, Elibe remakes with an anime detailing the Scouring).

I feel like something like that could work, and it'd take enough time for the games to come out that an anime likely could finish in that timeframe. Or they could do just a one season type of deal, with 13 or 26 episodes coming out around the same time as an entirely new game. Animes don't have ot be these big, decade+ long things.

Edited by Slumber

It would be a conceptual challenge—that’s for sure.  The enormous cast of characters spread over several, loosely-related worlds could be embraced fully through the unified narrative of some kind of Outrealm Order.

…just spit-balling out ideas here…

You have your “main character” in the form of a young tactician training to become a Grandmaster of the Order at—letsssss sayyyyyyy—Castle Apotheosis.

That’s the glue that binds everything together. And there’s something big brewing at Castle Apotheosis + within The Order that’s eventually going to tie everything together in some big climatic battle.

His/her training has him adventuring from world-to-world in episodes and archs, and becoming in some way involved in their struggles + fighting with or against their iconic heroes and villains.

…so there you’ve got the island-hopping motif of One Piece. (except the “islands” are the worlds of fire emblem)

…the there’s this ancient and secret society on another plane of existence that no one knows about and its warriors are on a completely different level—they watch over our world but we never see them motif of Bleach

…the child-in-training-to-achieve-dreams-of-greatness [start] building up to the all out war against-the “real enemy”[finish] of Naruto.

Like—you’ve definitely got all the ingredients there to make a quality shonen battle anime.

But they would need writers. Real writers. Tellius-quality writers.

In a video game bad writing can hide behind fun gameplay. There’s nothing to hide behind in an Anime; the full experience is watching the story as written unfold. If the writing is bad, you have a bad Anime.

...You need history and world-building.

...You need politics and palace intrigue.

...You need multi-faceted characters that don’t just talk in tropes.

If they do it and they do it poorly.

…if the attention-to-detail on story arcs and character interactions leans more in the direction of Fates and Heroes then Tellius and Echoes.

…If tropes and fanservice become a substitute for plot and dialogue  

…If it turns into a harem anime of every female in the series trying to go butts-to-nuts with the main character.

That’s going to leave a bad taste in a lot of people’s mouths and damage the franchise.

I’d like to see it and see it done well.

I’m not sure I trust the people who would be in charge of the project to do it well. And that’s a problem.

Edited by Shoblongoo

On 8/25/2017 at 0:12 PM, Shoblongoo said:

It would be a conceptual challenge—that’s for sure.  The enormous cast of characters spread over several, loosely-related worlds could be embraced fully through the unified narrative of some kind of Outrealm Order.

…just spit-balling out ideas here…

You have your “main character” in the form of a young tactician training to become a Grandmaster of the Order at—letsssss sayyyyyyy—Castle Apotheosis.

That’s the glue that binds everything together. And there’s something big brewing at Castle Apotheosis + within The Order that’s eventually going to tie everything together in some big climatic battle.

His/her training has him adventuring from world-to-world in episodes and archs, and becoming in some way involved in their struggles + fighting with or against their iconic heroes and villains.

…so there you’ve got the island-hopping motif of One Piece.

So basically, it'll be a Fire Emblem anime that never ends.

If they actually manage to produce a good anime without being intentionally stingy on resources and thus making something rushed and badly animated, sure, why not. I think it'd be great for the series.

My only issue with it is a personal one, because I believe it'd be a FE3 adaptation and I find the Marth games the worst story and character wise. If they do find a way to explore the cast better (which is hard since it deals with loads and loads of characters, making character development very limited), I might be convinced to watch it, but I'd much prefer a Jugdral (FE4 and 5), Elibe (FE7, then FE6) or Tellius adaptation.

• 1 year later...