Boss Conversation HACKING

Forpocalypse

A couple years ago, I began working on a hack in which Guinevere was implemented as a fully playable character and can be played as for whenever she is with Roy, (So really everywhere but the Western Isles) but to be fully content, I have to add boss conversations. Somehow, I managed to create a boss conversation between her and Narcian about a year ago, and I've been pulling my hair out trying to figure out how to do it again. Not having her talk to Zephiel upon initiating combat with him would leave a bad taste in my mouth. And yeah, I know it could be argued that Guinevere fighting against Bern more actively is wholly against her character, but my Guinevere is a bit different from the canon one. (:

I have a good amount of experience with Event Assembler, Mappy, Zahlman's Song Editor (lol), Nightmare 2.0, and FEditor, but I'm not sure where to begin anymore. I've gotten event editing down to a science (again, aside from boss conversations) and I know how to edit the text WITHIN the pre-existing boss conversations (ex. I can make Lilina talk Legance's ear off...) I just don't know how to create new boss conversations anymore. I want to finish this project, if only for my own personal satisfaction, though I do plan on publishing it upon completion. 

So, to reiterate, I'm hoping to add new, unique, boss conversations, but can't remember how to do that. I didn't want to have to ask, but i've about given up on the project and don't want to let it die quite yet. If anyone knows how to insert a new boss conversation somewhere in FE6, that would be a tremendous help. Thanks sooo much! Also, I'm also wondering if it's possible to add additonal character endings, as characters I add really SHOULD have those... Any little bit of knowledge helps. (:

Boss conversations are easy. Using Nightmare, open up the Boss battle quote editor.nmm (it's under Quote editors) and choose the chapter and characters you want, then change the text pointer to whichever thing you want it to be. Close Nightmare, then use FEditor to insert your text. Save and that should be it.

Thanks for the reply! 

Hmm, I'm staring at the boss conversation module for FE6 but I'm not seeing anything of use really. Unfortunately, the FE6 module works for "unspecified" boss conversations as opposed to the type I'm trying to implement...That is, I don't get to select the characters I want to talk. It just works for editing what the boss says to everyone.

Might the FE7 module work for FE6? I'll try it. I appreciate the idea lots and I'll tell you if it works. (:

It won't work. You instead need to create an event, then write the pointer to the event in the "Event" area instead. This is actually best done using an event assembler rather than the Nightmare module, though.

Edited by Agro

Yeah, so i attempted to use the FE7 module, and it's like you said - Didn't work. It was very glitchy.

I had a feeling EA would be the way to get this done. So then, which type of event might boss conversations be? (Turn Based, Character based, etc... Probably Character?) And is there some sort of command that I'd type that would create a boss conversation? I tried disassembling "chapter 8 events" to see if I could find where Lilina & Chapter 8's boss conversation was coded, so that I could replicate it, but it didn't seem to be on that page.. I even searched for every instance of Lilina's character as 0x26, and none of them were connected to a boss conversation on that page. With that said, I'm not sure how exactly to code a boss conversation via EA as I don't currently have a reference/example, though I have tried to find them. Whenever I look anywhere on the internet, it's always about creating boss conversations in FE7...Which IS easy, because of the nmm.

It seems that the hacking community, almost in its entirety, primarily focuses on FE7, which DOES make sense. If you do know specifically what to type into EA to create a boss conversation (I know how to create "Talks" btw) that'd be a huge help! Thanks for taking the time...I really appreciate it lots.

you would code them the exact same way you do any other event, with a TEX1 or equivalent

literally all you need to do:

#include eastdlib.event

org 0x4000

Event1:

TEX1 0xtext

REMA

then input 0x8004000 to the pointer 

obviously the event codes will be different because it's FE6

edit: oh yeah don't forget the conditional to check if it's Guinevere

Edited by Agro

Sorry if I'm starting to tire you out. I'm asking myself how I got this down so well before.

How would I code the conditional? 

Also, as I'm not making any major event changes, I should disassemble first, add my changes, and then assemble that modified text document, right? Assuming this is the case, should I be disassembling "Chapter Events" or "Chapter Changes"? I've been doing Events. Thanks lots and lots. (:

I've tried. I spent 2 hours on the Ultimate Tutorial before finally deciding that particular chapter only works for FE7, and can't be bent for FE6. I ask as a last resort. In fact, I've never even had to ask before, hence the new account. Arch never went into FE6 boss convos. Searching "FE6 boss conversation hacking EA" yields no results. 

If you don't know yourself, I understand. lol this one's a doozy. 

It really isn't a doozy at all, but you aren't making full use of the tools at your disposal to try and solve the problem. Just because it isn't in a tutorial doesn't mean you can't find out yourself how to do it. I already said that you didn't need to disassemble and I really meant that.

From Event assembler language.txt (the latest version):

FE6:
   GOTO_IFCA *Conditional ID* Character 

Branch if character is active.

Parameters:
    Conditional ID
    Character = Character to check.

You know from reading Arch's tutorial that each conditional must end with an ENIF. I believe in Arch's tutorial GOTO_IFCA is simply IFCA. So you would need to write:

org 0xXXYYZZ
ArbitraryLabel:
GOTO_IFCA 0x01 TheCharacterID
TEX1 BattleTextWithNewCharacterID
REMA//I can't remember if battle convos needed REMA tbh
 GOTO 0x02 //This is "ELSE" in arch's tutorials
ENIF 0x01
 TEX1 NormalText
 REMA
 ENIF 0x02

Then in the Nightmare module, where there is a field for event pointer, write 0x8XXYYZZ.

That should be everything you need to do. All of this I got from looking at the text documentation included with EA (I haven't even disassembled the damn thing) and through foreknowledge of eventing, all of which was gained through Arch's tutorial.