Your favorite flier in and out of the series

Kazuya

There are a crap load of fliers in this series, but which is your favorite? Mine is Palla, but that's self explanatory. Outside of the series, though I like KH 2's floating, which i guess counts. 

Tink in Disgaea 2 is a really great flier and his counters are great. 

Palla_Echoes.png

Edited by Kazuya

My favorite flier in series is Naesala. He was a rather nuanced character, in my opinion, and his design is still on point years after PoR and RD came out.

Outside of the series? Well, this will probably gonna seem odd, but my favorite flier outside of FE is an enemy from Digital Devil Saga called "Camazotz." The character the creature is attached to is really annoying and is a pest, but I always come back to the design of the monster. I also like naming my Noiverns in Pokemon after it, so that gives it bonus points. Plus, Kazuma Kaneko is, like, one of my all time favorite artists, so there's also that.

Favourite flier in Fire Emblem is probably Misha from Thracia. She is amazing stat wise and I like her backstory. Daughter of a traitor to her home country yet she still wants to help said country despite what everyone thinks of her because of her mother.

As for outside the series, Medli from LoZ WW is cool I guess. I haven't really taught about it.

19 minutes ago, saisymbolic said:

My favorite flier in series is Naesala. He was a rather nuanced character, in my opinion, and his design is still on point years after PoR and RD came out.

Outside of the series? Well, this will probably gonna seem odd, but my favorite flier outside of FE is an enemy from Digital Devil Saga called "Camazotz." The character the creature is attached to is really annoying and is a pest, but I always come back to the design of the monster. I also like naming my Noiverns in Pokemon after it, so that gives it bonus points. Plus, Kazuma Kaneko is, like, one of my all time favorite artists, so there's also that.

Camazotz? They are cool demons, I guess. I hate Bats a lot though. He is so terrible and I hate him with a passion. He was a bad boss imo. 

Noiverns are nice. 

Cormag- What a guy. One of the best units in your party in a game full of super units, and even has great characterization because they spent the time to devote one of the sub-bosses to being a foil for him. Has some pretty good supports. 

I don't understand the definition of "flier" for outside the series. Is this vehicles? Flying mechanics? Just characters that fly/float/glide in their animation sets?

Gut picks- Kazooie - Conker's umbrella is one of the best characters in a comedy oriented game of all time. 

Favorite SRPG flier- Hawkmen from Ogre Battle. not too much competetion, the birds in Shining Force 2 are too overpowered to be mechanically interesting. Other flying units in ogre battle are problematic (fairy/gremlin are just ugh, sphinx/ lighting dragon/ angel knight have availability issues) Ghosts in ogre battle tactics are fun because of being able to use equipment, but I have hard time looking past them being "status effect" units in the main games. 

Characters- Kazooie from the Banjo series, The witch from King's Quest 1.  The player characters in Burning Rangers (although it's more a jump pack than a jet pack). Kurt Hectic from MDK (if gliding on updrafts with a parachute counts as  flying). Max the dog from MDK2 for his actual jetpack. Raven Devil from Grafiti Kingdom (lot of great monster designs, but since he's the first flying enemy and therefore gives you access to flight yourself, he changes the flow of the whole game). Kain's Bat form from Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain- I always thought that the SOTN bat form was a let down compared to what you expected from a vampire, he made be held back by PS1 technology, but just the visual of standing and then enfolding into a cloud of bats is so perfect, even if it was just for cutscenes..  Raziel from Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver- he never gets to fly although Square Enix would probbably say otherwise  but he's such a great character and both of his pre  and post fall designs are amazing. He does glide a little bit.

Vehicles- The X-wing for how satisfying it is in certain games (rogue squadron, rogue leader, and star wars 1983). Some of the spaceships in Colony Wars- All of the player ships except the S-7 Chimera. the T-11 clone for being the best enemy fighter, the strike cannon, the banshee minelayer (appeals to me because of the idea of its grapple beam more than ingame interactibility), and of course, the super titan for being a great last boss. Klein from Colony Wars Vengeance (due to the space joust setup of the encounter).  The 6DD vehicles in Descent and Freespace. The P-38 Lightning (eat your heart out tomcat) . The arwing. The dart fighter enemies from area 6 and sector X. The R1 from R-type (innovating the option pods in SO many games). The J-Bomb from Blast Corps. The Astrolander ship for finally finding the perfect environment for "thrust" style controls. The flying shell and the flaming barrel from Rayman 2. Druudge Mauler from Star Control 2- The crazy Recoil makes it the most interesting movement wise, although I like most of the ships due to the gravity whip and such. The rocket powerup from Cel Damage- Probbably my favorite incarnation of the Wile E coyote ACME rocket, even more so than in actual Looney Tunes games. 

Edited by Reality

I never really liked the Pegasus Knights and Wyvern Riders in Fire Emblem; yes, they were a cool concept, but they were never exceptionally strong. However, that was before Shadows of Valentia. So my favorite would be Catria. Exceptionally strong in the early game, still usable later, she was one of my favorite characters from that game itself. Clair is a close second though.

As for out of the series... I'm not certain what exactly you mean by that, or what classifies as "flier." I guess Rayquaza - always an awesome and immensely powerful legendary Pokemon.

I don't really have a favourite non FE flier so I'll list my fav from each FE instead:

Caeda, Minerva, Clair, Altena, none from FE5, Gale, Florina, Tana, Jill, Haar, Cherche, Camilla

FE:

1. Clair
  2. Tana
  3. Camilla
  4. Catria
  5. Florina

Non-FE: I realize I haven't played much games where fliers are something a thought about; the closet one I guess is Staraptor (Pokemon Diamond & Pearl), because I associate most flying types to their other type and flying is the first thing that comes to mind when thinking about Staraptor.

Hmm, hard to say. For FE... probably... don't know... maybe Sumia.

Outside... well, depends on what we mean by flier. Anything that simply flies? Ace Combat's X-02 Wyvern. Flier in a SRPG game? SRW D's Proto Garland equipped with a Minovsky Drive, though that's kinda cheating, since it's not a natural flier without the MD.

• 5 weeks later...

Favorite flier in FE would have to be a tie between Tana and Jill. I think both have great characters and great stats, and both would easily find a spot on my team.

Outside of FE? Not completely sure what exactly you're looking for, but...

The A-10 Thunderbolt, also known as the Warthog. Notable for being designed around the giant Avenger 30mm rotary cannon, which can easily split a tank in half, and for being exceptionally sturdy. According to military tests, the plane can be missing one engine, one tail, most of its fuel supply, and a wing, and still complete its mission. This is a beast of a plane.

My favourite FE flier? I have too many wyvern riders, pegasus knights and even a heron that I adore -.- 

Hmmm... It's a toss up between Cormag and Reyson for favourite FE person. I also find myself liking Shigure more ^.^ 

Non-FE flier? Does just having wings count? I'm currently playing a mobile game called Valkyrie Connect and it has a really sweet seraph named Reginleif. He's just too adorable. 

I probably have a lot more non-FE fliers, but since I've been playing that the most, he's the one that's come to mind ^.^ 

Caeda is an absolute queen, but I am fond of Minerva, Michalis, Reyson, Leanne and Camilla.

As for outside FE...do Pokemon count? Because Lugia, Swellow, Staraptor and Braviary are some of my favourites.

My heart will always belong to Catria, but I also have a soft spot for Cordelia.

As for non-fe... Vampire Lords from HoMM 3 count, right? Because goddamn they're busted. You can chug on for a surprisingly long with with just a mass of vampire lords and a growing skeleton hoarde. Also the upgrades Harpies, which are massive pains in the ass to fight.

In FE: Farina takes the gold. She's a kickass unit and touching character, not to mention I like shipping her with Hector.

Outside of FE: Charizard will incinerate anyone who contests the fact that he is the best Pokemon ever.

On 9/26/2017 at 4:04 PM, Urvan said:

My favorite flying unit in Fire Emblem is Haar from Radiant Dawn. His stats are amazing.

Same here. I also like the fact that Dracoknights in Radiant Dawn lack the bow weakness they have in other games. In fact, the bow weakness is the reason why I generally dislike using fliers (although they are fine in Echoes due to the damage bonus being much smaller than in Fates where bows are mostly instant death). The main flier I use in Fates is Camilla due to her boobs ability to be a decent mixed attacker (Hinoka has proven to be quite useful to me in Birthright as a mobile mage killer, however). Pegasus Knights outside of the Whitewings have issues in games with higher stat caps. They often are too weak and too frail to do much good.

On 8/27/2017 at 8:31 PM, Reality said:

Favorite SRPG flier- Hawkmen from Ogre Battle. not too much competition. Other flying units in ogre battle are problematic (fairy/gremlin are just ugh, sphinx/ lighting dragon/ angel knight have availability issues) Ghosts in ogre battle tactics are fun because of being able to use equipment, but I have hard time looking past them being "status effect" units in the main games. 

This is pretty much sentiment regarding fliers outside of Fire Emblem. Otherwise playing as Tails Doll is pretty fun.