Best classes in the game?

What are the best classes in the game? Why?

I think we can agree the king of SoV is Dread Fighter. The loop, strong promotion gains, amazing abilities, and movement make it hard to beat. In addition, access to Zweihander gives them massive, consistent, damage output. How do other classes stack up though?

I'm asking partially because I'm thinking of what to change all the mercenaries into before taking on the endgame but also out of curiosity.

I wonder if Baron is low tier due to terrible movement, no res protection, and no speed or high tier for great promotion gains and great pitchfork users.

With enough grinding, Bow Knight is the best class due to insane attack range, solid movement range and the Killer Bow's busted combination of innate crit and Hunter's Volley.

Dread Fighter followed by Gold Knight or Falcon Knight probably round out the top 3.

DreadFighter, Bow Knight, and Sage/Saint.

5 hours ago, SnowyTome said:

I wonder if Baron is low tier due to terrible movement, no res protection, and no speed or high tier for great promotion gains and great pitchfork users.

Movement mostly, 4 mov when even Dread Fighters have 7 is terrible. Baron/General actually has decent res, higher then Gold and Bow Knight, but its not enough and their skill is worthless as enemy bow users are weak.

Edited by Emperor Hardin

Pretty much every class in this game is good. Baron's are sorta the exception since they have bad movement and warp was ultra nerfed, but they still have their uses as tanks on some maps and are probably the best users of combat arts due to their superb attack and lowish speed. Mages / priestesses also suffer from bad movement, but their ridiculous damage output and good range makes them really good at softening up / killing most enemies in the game and utility spells like heal always lets them contribute.

Rough tiering:

1. Mage/Sage/Priestess - Highest damage output generally (due to low enemy res), multiple weapons without needing an inventory slot (which lets them be flexible for speed, crit, etc.), range, the ability to annoy the obnoxious terrain that many key enemies camp on. Their drawback is low move but their advantages outweigh that.

2. Pegasus Knight/Falconknight - Flight is cool, hitting weakness on monsters after promotion is cool, javelins are cool, and arrow weakness isn't very potent in this game since most enemy archers use iron, steel, or even nothing at all.

3. Cavalier/Paladin/Gold Knight - They don't fly or hit weakness on monsters but otherwise, see above.

4. Merc/Myrm/Dread Fighter - Dread Fighter is terrific, good move and magic tanking. The first two classes are definitely somewhat more mediocre, being stuck with swords is bad and they don't have move to make up for it. Speed's nice but that's it.

5. Archer/Sniper/Bow Knight - Maybe they'd rise a bit if I'd known about Hunter's Volley, I dunno. As is I often found their low stats and accuracy a bit of a problem, though 1-5 ensures they definitely have use.

6. Soldier/Knight/Baron - Is there any debate they're last? Bad move, bad speed, melee class and a few more points of def over paladins does not make up for this. They do have their good moments, though, proving that class balance in this game isn't terrible.

Not ranked: Saint. Totally reliant on what spells they get, I feel.

2 hours ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

Rough tiering:

1. Mage/Sage/Priestess - Highest damage output generally (due to low enemy res), multiple weapons without needing an inventory slot (which lets them be flexible for speed, crit, etc.), range, the ability to annoy the obnoxious terrain that many key enemies camp on. Their drawback is low move but their advantages outweigh that.

2. Pegasus Knight/Falconknight - Flight is cool, hitting weakness on monsters after promotion is cool, javelins are cool, and arrow weakness isn't very potent in this game since most enemy archers use iron, steel, or even nothing at all.

3. Cavalier/Paladin/Gold Knight - They don't fly or hit weakness on monsters but otherwise, see above.

4. Merc/Myrm/Dread Fighter - Dread Fighter is terrific, good move and magic tanking. The first two classes are definitely somewhat more mediocre, being stuck with swords is bad and they don't have move to make up for it. Speed's nice but that's it.

5. Archer/Sniper/Bow Knight - Maybe they'd rise a bit if I'd known about Hunter's Volley, I dunno. As is I often found their low stats and accuracy a bit of a problem, though 1-5 ensures they definitely have use.

6. Soldier/Knight/Baron - Is there any debate they're last? Bad move, bad speed, melee class and a few more points of def over paladins does not make up for this. They do have their good moments, though, proving that class balance in this game isn't terrible.

Not ranked: Saint. Totally reliant on what spells they get, I feel.

Dread Fighter halves all magic damage with already high resistance in a game filled with magical enemies, it should be higher in my opinion.

Magic users are mostly dependent on character. I'd put Saint and Sage above Priestess as their skills are much more useful then the use of swords.

Edited by Emperor Hardin

7 hours ago, Emperor Hardin said:

Dread Fighter halves all magic damage with already high resistance in a game filled with magical enemies, it should be higher in my opinion.

Magic users are mostly dependent on character. I'd put Saint and Sage above Priestess as their skills are much more useful then the use of swords.

Erm, not that I've played the game (in fact, I'm asking because I don't have the game yet), but are magical enemies really that common???

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

9 hours ago, Harvey said:

Pretty much all the classes in this game are great. Even the Barons here are very useful in this game.

I'm in the same mindset. I found all the classes useful throughout the game, and I really felt everyone was contributing equally.

If I had to pick a favorite (not counting the overclasses) I would say...Dread Fighter. For one, the Dread Fighter loop is amazing for stat gains, they have great movement on the map and good defense/resistance, and all my Dread Fighters made getting through the post game dungeon so much easier.

1 hour ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

Erm, not that I've played the game (in fact, I'm asking because I don't have the game yet), but are magical enemies really that common???

Arcanists also hit very hard. Even your highest res unit can be bishotted by them.  Only halved their damage you can survive more hits.

For maingame maps:

Saint>BK>Falco>Preistess

Saints with actual spell lists are straight up busted, all the perks of mage combat with EP nos and invoke/anew/Rescue/warp. BK is most mobile male class and gets KB, Falco is most mobile Female class and gets banish gradivus, Preistess is bar none the best damage in the game limited by terrible move.

For cave encounters/postgame:

Saint>Preistess>BK>Falco.

Saints are Saints, Preistess gets it's drawback removed, volly is volly, Gradivus is Gradivus.

--------------------------------------------

Base Delthea takes 1 damage from hard mode arcanists not wielding Death/medusa at +5 res and can actually counter attack. Arcanists are chumps.

Edited by joshcja

12 hours ago, Emperor Hardin said:

If they started out as Dread Fighters I would agree, but Merc/Myrm lack this property and are thus not impressive at all. I'm scoring the entire class line.

2 hours ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

If they started out as Dread Fighters I would agree, but Merc/Myrm lack this property and are thus not impressive at all. I'm scoring the entire class line.

You are supposed to manage to get a dreadfighter when the enemies' magic damage goes wild. Before is just use your best base res units or/and ohko the arcanists.

• 1 month later...

As has been said ALL the classes are great, however below I have listed in order what I consider to be the best classes of SoV. This will be taking movement, overall stats, ability to survive the frontlines and whether or not the class can attack at range or not. I will not be taking the looping effect of the mercenary line into consideration.

1) Bow knight. With a movement of 8 and being able to attack at a 1-5 square radius, this class controls the battlefield. Even on the enemy phase which is the phase that many FE players have said where most of the action takes place. This class CANNOT be attacked without countering, anything that attacks this class on the enemy phase will be countered and probably killed, additionally it has pretty good defense and resistance.

2) Gold Knights. With a movement of 9, this class will catch anything that's on the battlefield, and with balanced stats across the board this class has no major weaknesses. (Cliff is my personal favorite potential Gold Knight). And if they have the Gradivus lance they will also be able to attack most mages and witches at range.

3) Dread Fighters. Having a movement of 8, this class can easily keep up with mounted units, and the only reason it's in the #3 spot is because there are no ranged weapon options. However with high stats in every area and all magic attacks doing half damage this is a stellar class and not to be taken lightly with no major weaknesses if it has weaknesses at all.

4) Pegasus. Having a movement of 8 and being able to fly means this class is unhindered. And although one can give this class a javelin or the Gradivus for a ranged option, this class is vulnerable to arrows and generally with stats inferior to cavaliers. Though exceptions do apply, (I have seen Palla take minimal damage from a steel bow with only 17 defense). So while it has high movement, unlike Dread Fighters, Gold Knights or Bow Knights this class does have a major weakness that you need to watch out for.

5) Barons. Are great for frontline defense units and with a gradivus it will help somewhat to bypass their low movement. But if nothing else they can survive the frontlines and deal heavy damage at the same time

6) Mages. Similar to Barons they have very low movement, although they can bypass this with their ranged attacks and a mage ring. However they are better served as back up and support units. So the frontlines ARE NOT the place for them, which is why mages get #6.

7) Clerics. A movement of 4, but with less offensive spell options than mages, this class is intended as support only although Seraphim is a good spell, it is also expensive to cast. And the frontline are not a good place for this class at all.

Hopefully, this explains why X class got placed where it did.