Secret of Mana remake coming to PS4/Vita/Steam

Jedi

Goddammit give us Seiken Densestu 3.

It's like they're actively teasing us at this point. All we ever get is localized versions of other Mana games that've been re-released here a hundred times. 

That said, I'm glad that the Mana games are still getting love from Square. 

4 minutes ago, Slumber said:

Goddammit give us Seiken Densestu 3. 

I knooooow, its one of my favorite games ever, but I want to actually support it without getting like the Japanese Mana collection. :/

Edited by Jedi

I wish they would have used HD sprites as it looks like they made this for mobile phones 

nonetheless I'm looking forwards to it

Edited by Captain Karnage

Also, I wonder if there's some sort of Sony deal here.

This seems like it'd be a great Switch title(Hell, it was originally on a Nintendo system). It being Sony+PC only seems odd. Maybe Square thinks it'd compete with the Densetsu collection?

Edited by Slumber

Lame. The original game was on a Nintendo console too, specifically SNES. I had it and played a little of it and it was interesting. I was just a little kid so it also confused me. I would so try it again if it was coming on a Nintendo console, but no.

I don't get it though, why not also release it on 3DS or Switch since it was originally for SNES?

Edited by Anacybele

9 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Lame. The original game was on a Nintendo console too, specifically SNES. I had it and played a little of it and it was interesting. I was just a little kid so it also confused me. I would so try it again if it was coming on a Nintendo console, but no.

I don't get it though, why not also release it on 3DS or Switch since it was originally for SNES?

Because it already has a Switch port. The Seiken Densetsu trilogy (Secret of Mana being Seiken Densetsu 2) got released toguether as the Seiken Densetsu Collection.

Japan only, though. But the fact there already is a way to play Secret of Mana on the Switch, this 3D remake won't make it in. Your best hope is for the Seiken Densetus Trilogy to get an overseas release, or at least, just SD2/SoM alone.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

1 minute ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Because it already has a Switch port. The Seiken Densetsu trilogy (Secret of Mana being Seiken Densetsu 2).

Japan only, though. But the fact there already is a way to play Secret of Mana on the Switch, this 3DS remake won't make it in. Your best hope is for the Seiken Densetus Trilogy to get an overseas release, or at least, just SD2/SoM alone.

That doesn't help me if it isn't in English. I don't know or understand Japanese.

Edited by Anacybele

Just now, Anacybele said:

That doesn't help me if it isn't in English. I don't know or understand Japanese.

Well, as I said, unless the Collection gets localized, there won't be a way to play SoM in English on the Switch. BEcause the Collection already makes the remake redundant.

Your other best hope is for the remake to also get relased anyway. At least, that's how I see it.

Just now, Acacia Sgt said:

Well, as I said, unless the Collection gets localized, there won't be a way to play SoM in English on the Switch. BEcause the Collection already makes the remake redundant.

Your other best hope is for the remake to also get relased anyway. At least, that's how I see it.

That doesn't make it redundant if only one region can access it. Other regions would have a reason to buy the remake.

25 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Because this is Square Enix we're talking about and they sold themselves to Sony as of when the N64 was still in development because CDs were cheaper to manufacture and carts couldn't store their TOTALLY COOL FMVs and Redbook CD audio everyone was obsessed with back in the day. Nintendo got salty and the two companies haven't been exactly on good terms ever since. There have been Square RPGs for Nintendo platforms but the "meat" is kept to Playstation and sometimes Xbox (by that I mean FF, of course).

This was a very s****y move on Square Enix's part, IMO, but whatever. I mean, what is there in this game that's so difficult to replicate on the Switch? The PS4 isn't exactly very powerful either. And they're even bothering with a PS Vita release, lol.

Edited by Skynstein

1 minute ago, Skynstein said:

Because this is Square Enix we're talking about and they sold themselves to Sony as of when the N64 was still in development because CDs were cheaper to manufacture and carts couldn't store their TOTALLY COOL FMVs and Redbook CD audio everyone was obsessed with back in the day. Nintendo got salty and the two companies haven't been exactly on good terms ever since. There have been Square RPGs for Nintendo platforms but the "meat" is kept to Playstation and sometimes Xbox (by that I mean FF, of course).

This was a very s****y move on Square Enix's part, IMO, but whatever. I mean, what is there in this game that's so difficult to replicate on the Switch? The PS4 isn't exactly very powerful either.

Oh. Well, that really sucks... I guess I'll have to settle for the Steam version. I'm not sure it'll be as comfortable to play there, but yeah (Steam is PC, and the only games I've ever liked playing on PC are RTSs and simulation stuff like Sims and Roller Coaster Tycoon).

I'm sure the overseas market will get SoM once the Switch gets the Virtual Console.

For my part, I'm glad this is getting a PC version. I've never had the opportunity to play the original SoM (best chance was with the Wii's VC, but I never got it), so I'm content to try this remake which I can get eventually.

I bought Secret of Mana via the (first) wii shop channel. I find Square Enix's licensing policies regarding the wii U shop channel (Nintendo Eshop) to be really weird.

Anyway the worth of the game depends on whether you have people to play it in local multiplayer with. 

The style reminds me of the DS and phone remakes that Matrix software did for Square Enix. Most of them do add extra story scenes and bonus super dungeons in addition to just changing the art style. Not sure for this game since Matrix software don't seem to be mentioned on the official website.

I think the most exciting thing is how the music will be remastered, since it's already one of the best soundtracks on the SNES. (I don't really excpet the same kind of miracle as Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, but I still expect something generally good.)

I think a Secret of Mana 2 remake could happening, after Mystic Quest was remade as Adventures of Mana and now Secret of Mana, the chances are higher.
After I played games like Legend of Mana and Dawn of Mana I often thought that Secret of Mana needed a new style, which adapts more to what the Series became and I hope that old school fans will enjoy it and don't cling too much to the old, but I can imagine that many people won't like the 3d style, which they developed since Rise of Mana with some changes.

In Europe we did not have the chance to play Legend of Mana or Dawn of Mana without importing.

Also I think that this remake gives Square-Enix the chance to make Secret of Mana 2 more known outside of japan, because many old school gamers who are not much invested into the series are getting interested now. But I should not have to high hopes.

I also hope that Hiroki Kikuta is in charge of the music, but we will see.

Is there a problem if I prefer sprites over 3D models? 

This said, playing SoM on iOS has been rather annoying- but it's the only legal way I reasonably can. Hopefully this remake addresses some of the issues with the game.

Also, if the Switch gets the remake, I'm expecting no Tiger DLC costume set, or at least that Prinn's outfit will gain some in coverage. I don't see much of a point in making her outfit so skimpy in the first place- it's out of wack with the simple, innocent fairytale aesthetic of the game.

I was not expecting this to be remade at all. I hope it's really good because I enjoyed the original game. God, the soundtrack too was really good, and a few tracks from the OST are still my favorites to this day.

Edited by Lerandel
I expanded my post a bit.

VITA?!  SIGN ME UP!

Man, this makes me happy.  I don't remember too much about the series except a generally fond feeling, sadly.  Perhaps this game will jog my memory.

What ? What ? What ? Remake ? Oh Secret of Mana ?

Oh my goodness I want it, I want it, I want iiiiiiiiiiit.
One of my first game ever, which introduced me to RPGs and, well, games, and I can safely say that yeah, it's still a perfect game that I can replay fondly time and time again.
Replaying it, not as the SNES version, but as a remake will be a great experience.

RIP Seiken Densetsu 3 though, but oh well, it belongs to the fandom.