DefyingFates

Choose Your Legend  

102 members have voted

1. 1. Choose Your Freebie

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think they're baiting us with banners before CYL.  They said way ahead of time it would be after Summer so if you spent all your orbs on summer banners it's to be expected that you don't have much left.  Additionally, people say literally every banner is a bait banner for the next one.

The thing I'm most looking forward to is that I get to stop hearing about how I'm wasting my orbs because something I don't actually care about is right around the corner.  

And Sacred Coins news.

18 minutes ago, Lushen said:

I don't think they're baiting us with banners before CYL.  They said way ahead of time it would be after Summer so if you spent all your orbs on summer banners it's to be expected that you don't have much left.  Additionally, people say literally every banner is a bait banner for the next one.

The thing I'm most looking forward to is that I get to stop hearing about how I'm wasting my orbs because something I don't actually care about is right around the corner.  

And Sacred Coins news.

To be fair, Hero Fest was a pretty strong incentive to spend big this month. Also, we had two banners with limited characters in summer.

Expectations:

They better give Roy feakin Bonfire or Ignis, Fire Boost, or even Rising/Blazing Flame. It is CRIMINAL that he didn't get any fire-related skills on release. Same for Eliwood, but Roy still uses fire in his attacks in Smash Bros.

...now that I think about it, all the characters in CYL have appeared in Smash Bros in one form or another, so maybe they'll do something cool related to that...?

Nah, not possible.

I'm mostly invested for Lyn. I still have 0 versions of her and if she's likely a Bow incarnation she could have utility that rival's Bridelia (who I already have, so another nuke archer is welcome, she's quite fun!). Otherwise I like all the other units fine (Ike!) and they'll likely be broken since their limited, so that's a plus.

Saving for August was literally impossible though, way too many great and limited units floating around. Gonna be saving for a while, Normal Lyn or Dawn Brigade banner are the only things that will make me foolishly spend my orbs away with CYL so close by.

2 minutes ago, Rinco said:

Got 120 orbs for this if it comes right after the broadcast. If it only shows up the week after, I'll have some more from September quests.
Bring it on!

It'll probably launch on the 31st, when the current two main banners end. Possibly a bit before.

Of course, either way, there will be time to get orbs from the September quests before the banner ends. I'm guessing it'll run for the full month, like the summer banners.

I'll only be up to 40-50 orbs by September 1st, I blew way too many this past month. I'm ready to be disappointed but hopefully I can get at least one of Ike, Roy, or Lyn. And either way, it'll be great to have even more new art for these characters. 

2 hours ago, GuiltyLove said:

Do they get %'s instead of an HP bar?

They die if they get knocked off the edges of the map, and they get knocked away after any combat the enemy initiates. The higher their percentage, the more spaces they travel.

4 hours ago, Xenomata said:

Expectations:

They better give Roy feakin Bonfire or Ignis, Fire Boost, or even Rising/Blazing Flame. It is CRIMINAL that he didn't get any fire-related skills on release. Same for Eliwood, but Roy still uses fire in his attacks in Smash Bros.

...now that I think about it, all the characters in CYL have appeared in Smash Bros in one form or another, so maybe they'll do something cool related to that...?

Nah, not possible.

Lower your expectations to mitigate the disappointment. 

Yeah, I'm literally expecting nothing from the CYL characters.

I'm currently treating them similarly to Cipher's promotional cards, all of which are functionally identical to standard-issue cards, but with different artwork.

15 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

I'm currently treating them similarly to Cipher's promotional cards, all of which are functionally identical to standard-issue cards, but with different artwork.

A banner with four red characters, three of whom are 5* exclusive (or two if you count Masked Marth) and one of whom is Ike, still seems pretty great to me.

I do think that'd be a strange choice after all the buildup, though.

7 minutes ago, Othin said:

A banner with four red characters, three of whom are 5* exclusive (or two if you count Masked Marth) and one of whom is Ike, still seems pretty great to me.

I do think that'd be a strange choice after all the buildup, though.

Having four Reds would be complete hell for someone looking for a specific hero though :P I wouldn't be surprised if they all got different weapons (canon or not) for that alone.

Who knows, maybe they may get themed weapons a la Seasonal Heroes? Themes after something to do with gratitude or patience perhaps?

30 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Putting aside "Marth" so far all alternative versions of characters was always pretty distinct from their originals. I don't see why it should be different this time...

43 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

The only way I'd see that happening is if they are released as free units from completing a Xenologue.  Otherwise it's just a banner with units that already exists, but that (probably) can't be merged with the existing units.

42 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

Having four Reds would be complete hell for someone looking for a specific hero though :P I wouldn't be surprised if they all got different weapons (canon or not) for that alone.

Who knows, maybe they may get themed weapons a la Seasonal Heroes? Themes after something to do with gratitude or patience perhaps?

It's not really an issue. Like, consider the two scenarios:

• There are four units on a banner, and Roy is the only red one.
  • There are four units on a banner, and all of them are red, including Roy.

Say you want Roy either way, so you pull red. In both scenarios, the game generates the same number of Roy orbs, and it generates the same number of non-focus red orbs. The only difference is that the other focus orbs are also red. So sure, you might end up pulling a few more times than you would otherwise, but each of those extra times you pull is a time you're pulling another focus unit. Seems fine to me.

Let's say in this scenario you keep pulling until you get one Roy. Any red focus orb has a 25% chance of being Roy, so the average number of red focus orbs you'd need to pull to get him is 4 instead of 1. So by the time you get your Roy, you've encountered, on average, three non-Roy focus orbs, and you pulled them, so you've spent a few extra orbs on those. Works out to spending about 12 more orbs on getting Roy (out of ~200, on average) in exchange for three more 5*s. (Probably not all three of the other options, but still. I think the average would be two different ones, with the third being a duplicate of one of those?)

I'd say it works out to a net positive unless you completely don't care about the other units in that color. I'm certainly more interested in pulling for specific units the more other focus units share their color.

Edit: Okay I guess they'd mess up your pity rate but I don't think that tends to be that big of a deal.

Edited by Othin

I expect to see the usual - some teasers about upcoming content as well as recurring stuff (Tempest Trials, Voting Gauntlet, Grand Hero Battles, Bound Hero Battles, etc.) . I also expect to see something regarding the Sacred Coins, which I fully expect to be somehow related to Sacred Seals. Perhaps they upgrade the Seals or allows the player to purchase unowned ones.
Now, here's a crazy insane prediction. CYL characters will be earned through special maps, like GHB, instead of being thrown on a summoning banner. They are special characters at best (which means different stats, weapons, skills, and so on), or  "mirrors" at worst (same statline but different artwork, like "Masked Marth").

Of course, I still entirely expect a CYL banner, but gaining them through events would be awesome and allows players to earn each character instead of relying on RNG and Orbs to get the characters they want. I still need to get a Summer!Corrin before even thinking about CYL characters. I want Lyn, Lucina, and Ike...
As for some wishful thinking...
1A. Implement Lunatic & Insane difficulty for the "free rotation."
1B. Change up the "free rotation" characters.
2. Implement a "Forge" to upgrade Killer Weapons into Slaying Weapons. As other "weapon upgrades" are released, I expect them to be improved in the Forge as well. (as I expect Armorslayers, Gem Weapons, and Silver Weapons to receive better variants to be more on par with the unique weapons.)
3. Implement a way to spend excess Badges and Great Badges, perhaps mimicking a "character merge" without a duplicate character present?
4. Add an option that turns off combat animations, but keeps special activations (voice and art) in on the battle map. (I saw a reddit post mockup, but don't remember where it is.)

27 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

They'll announce the next VG theme like last time too, I expect. I bet It's CYL Banner versus the vanilla versions of those characters. Settle it in Smash.

That or have it be between the top four males and top four females from CYL. In other words:

(1) Ike vs. (4) Chrom RIP Chrom
(2) Roy vs. (3) Hector

(1) Lyn vs. (4) Camilla
(2) Lucina vs. (3) Tharja aka The Great Awakening Civil War of 2017

56 minutes ago, Xenomata said:

I'm not even demanding they be good, just Roy have something fire-related, and even THAT is too high?

You could give it to him. Actually speaking of Roy, he's the only one I don't have some form of. Ironic considering he's also the only one if the 4* pool.

Random thought: do y'all think the next TT could be Sacred Stones-themed? We had Valter and the Sacred World come out of nowhere, and they had to back-to-back Echoes banners so I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility.

On CYL proper though: if the story is that Lucina et. al. are joining the Order of Heroes or something (and I bet you there will be a story chapter / paralouge to accompany the units), what if they're given out for free, like with the Askrians at the beginning of the game? Probably a long shot, but hey, it's nice to dream. I want them to be something more than alt artworks; other 'n that, I'd be happy to spend some orbs (I only have base Lucina and I didn't pull Ike during Hero Fest).

12 minutes ago, Tybrosion said:

That or have it be between the top four males and top four females from CYL. In other words:

(1) Ike vs. (4) Chrom RIP Chrom
(2) Roy vs. (3) Hector

(1) Lyn vs. (4) Camilla
(2) Lucina vs. (3) Tharja aka The Great Awakening Civil War of 2017

Chrom vs. Ike is just unfair. I would also be genuinely concerned Tharja would win round one.

2 minutes ago, Alistair said:

Random thought: do y'all think the next TT could be Sacred Stones-themed? We had Valter and the Sacred World come out of nowhere, and they had to back-to-back Echoes banners so I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility.

I don't think we're at that point. I doubt they'll do SS before SD unless they want to save Marth for near the end. Plus, grand hero characters never appear in TT.