CYL FEH Channel Livestream coming Monday 3.30am UTC

DefyingFates

Choose Your Legend  

102 members have voted

1. 1. Choose Your Freebie

22 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

To answer the first question, it's supposed to be Murgleis/Murgleys. The Japanese name of the weapon is the original French name. (If you're not familiar with Elibe's legendary weapons, this is Hanon's legendary bow. Durandal, Maltet, Armads and Murgleis are all from the Song of Roland with Armads a possibly intentional misspelling of Turpin's sword, Almace.)

Yeah, when I checked the name again and remembering that I just saw Murgleis mentioned here -- I think it was by you --, I remembered that it was a legendary bow from Elibe. At first, I thought it was an entirely different weapon that was going to be used by Lucina. Mulagir reminded me of Gungnir for some reason.

The weird thing is that isn't that a Binding Blade-only bow? Blazing Sword had Reinfleche, but I don't remember seeing Murgleis at all when I played Blazing Sword, but that was a long time ago.

Eh, it could be like an alternate version like how you could consider Mulagir and Rolandslied as versions of Murgleys and La chanson de Roland. Ha, you could spin this even further and say Lyn and her Mulagir is a "retelling" of Hanon and her Murgleis. Really stretching it, though.

17 minutes ago, MonkeyCheez3K said:

Am I the only one who believes they invented those Blessing B-Skills just to make future PvE maps hell for the typical OP team comps? Just you wait until they invent the Anti-Brave effect B-Skill :P

Nope. I personally believe there are some units and some skills that are much better for the enemy AI units than for us. For example, Obstruct and Pass. Both are skills considered very situational or useless to players -- Pass to me only shines on cavaliers because of their 3 tile movement -- even on weird defense teams. The enemy AI doesn't have to worry about that because the developers can make maps that suit those situations like a cavalier or flyer with a Brave weapon and Pass which I think appeared in a couple of GHBs can show up, go behind, and kill a squishy unit. There you go, maps over, you lost. Or any of the Boost skills since enemy units can have much higher HP than 5* +10 merged units.

Edited by Kaden

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, LuxSpes said:

Sadly Cancel Affinity exists now. My Bridelia has it and every TA Raven user I see in the arena cry at the sight.

It looks like Lyn's B skill is the one that cancels out Distant Counter, so she'd have to lose that to run Cancel Affinity.

2 minutes ago, DehNutCase said:

Cancel Affinity, problem solved. (I have 4 5* Mathildas and a 4* as well for some reason)

I think I saw all of two Mathildas, ever.  Maybe this will make Cancel Affinity more of A Thing (but not on Lyn). . .

. . .or maybe I can continue to steamroll the various Reins I see in the arena. :P:

15 minutes ago, Kaden said:

I'm guessing written languages were really messy back then? Or maybe it's something like y'know how people from different parts of the world have to spell their name in different languages? Possibly something like that. With Seamus, for example, people have written it as Shaymus and Shamus. Or Li, Lee, Yi, etc.

I think there's another example or explanation where one word ends up being rendered in different ways. Perhaps it's because of missing or, more appropriate, nontransferable sounds.

That or the writer couldn't remember the damn sword's name and came up with something that remotely sounded similar.

With Seamus, that's because the name is pronounced "shay-mus", so when crossing language barriers, people may have re-spelled their names to make them easier to pronounce. Actually, that happens a lot with names of Irish/Gaelic origin because their pronunciation of things is weird (Sean and Siobhan come to mind first).

I never really understood why Koreans with the last name of I (pronounced "ee") romanize the name as "Lee". Must be a historical thing or something. "Yi" and "Li" are more commonly Chinese and are not really related to Korean "Lee" or each other.

German can reproduce the pronunciation of Murgleis pretty damned closely as "Mürgle".

9 minutes ago, egobarrier said:

If she's doing 38 against a red enemy with 18 defense, meaning 23 after defense terrain bonus, that should make her effective attack 61, or 51 before weapon triangle, so 35 Atk without the 16 Mt weapon, right? Or am I missing something?

She does 37 damage in the Japanese one. The English one also has her with 41 HP instead of 44 HP.

1 minute ago, Kaden said:

The weird thing is that isn't that a Binding Blade-only bow? Blazing Sword had Reinfleche, but I don't remember seeing Murgleis at all when I played Blazing Sword, but that was a long time ago.

Yes. Yes it is only obtainable in Binding Blade. Durandal, Armads, Forblaze, and Aureola were the only legendary weapons that were obtainable in Blazing Sword.

1 minute ago, Kaden said:

Yeah, when I checked the name again and remembering that I just saw Murgleis mentioned here -- I think it was by you --, I remembered that it was a legendary bow from Elibe. At first, I thought it was an entirely different weapon that was going to be used by Lucina. Mulagir reminded me of Gungnir for some reason.

Eh, it could be like an alternate version like how you could consider Mulagir and Rolandslied as versions of Murgleys and La chanson de Roland. Ha, you could spin this even further and say Lyn and her Mulagir is a "retelling" of Hanon and her Murgleis. Really stretching it, though.

Nope. I personally believe there are some units and some skills that are much better for the enemy AI units than for us. For example, Obstruct and Pass. Both are skills considered very situational or useless to players -- Pass to me only shines on cavaliers because of their 3 tile movement -- even on weird defense teams. The enemy AI doesn't have to worry about that because the developers can make maps that suit those situations like a cavalier or flyer with a Brave weapon and Pass which I think appeared in a couple of GHBs can show up, go behind, and kill a squishy unit. There you go, maps over, you lost. Or any of the Boost skills since enemy units can have much higher HP than 5* +10 merged units.

Mulagir is indeed not in FE7. Still, it's not too far off, and I'd been betting on her getting it for a while after the talk about Ike potentially getting Urvan.

No stranger than Lucina getting something completely out of left field, I'd say. Although that's also understandable: Awakening doesn't really have its own legendary weapons, so the closest fit would probably be like Gradivus again.

Just now, Rezzy said:

It looks like Lyn's B skill is the one that cancels out Distant Counter, so she'd have to lose that to run Cancel Affinity.

Depends on what you want to use her for. With her weapon's effect and Cancel Affinity, she'd be a great anti-mage unit, since she'd not care about TA Raven mages and Blade mages which are the most common one in the arena. 

1 minute ago, eclipse said:

I think I saw all of two Mathildas, ever.  Maybe this will make Cancel Affinity more of A Thing (but not on Lyn). . .

. . .or maybe I can continue to steamroll the various Reins I see in the arena. :P:

CA on Lyn is probably significantly better than other B-slots, given that you're mostly choosing between mobility and coverage there. CA will give her excellent coverage since horse buffs means her pre-skill coverage is absurd (assuming decent BST), hitting DC users isn't as critical for a horse archer because, as a horse, you can simply position so the poor, plodding melee unit can't even hit you even if you don't use a positioning skill afterwards, meaning you can leave then for the team to gang up (mostly to get all the buffs online) on after you snipe the 'actually dangerous' people.

This is a huge part of why Reinahrdt is so absurd, since his mobility not only gives him reach, but also safety due to his ability to reach safe squares infantry and fliers can't.

Mind, I have B!Cordelia and Perfect Klein already with Brave Bows, so Lyn needs to be kind of ridiculous for me to choose her over the other options. (Not saying a horse isn't ridiculous, which it is, but is it ridiculous enough is the question.)

2 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

She does 37 damage in the Japanese one. The English one also has her with 41 HP instead of 44 HP.

@egobarrier The clip showing her against the sword pegasus has consistent numbers between videos.

41 HP and a 54-damage Aether hit with 45 normal damage. The pegasus therefore has either 18 or 19 Def, meaning Lucina has 53 or 54 Atk with her weapon, meaning 38 or 39 Atk without her weapon.

Just now, Ice Dragon said:

@egobarrier The clip showing her against the sword pegasus has consistent numbers between videos.

41 HP and a 54-damage Aether hit with 45 normal damage. The pegasus therefore has either 18 or 19 Def, meaning Lucina has 53 or 54 Atk with her weapon, meaning 38 or 39 Atk without her weapon.

She could have an A-slot skill like Swift Sparrow or something, even assuming the numbers are final.

6 minutes ago, Ragnell17 said:

I find it hilarious how Roy looks more like Eliwood than Eliwood himself now in Heroes

Well, Brave Roy was draw for Eliwood's Original ilustrator (Sachiko Wada)

@mcsilas I'm outdone. Finally a Lyn... not even in the way I expected.

Needless to say I'm taking Bow Lyn, not even a debate. Then I'll be rolling for Ike, Lucina and then Roy. This is the first banner where I want to pull exclusively to get all the characters.

What kills me though is that the Voting Gauntlet will likely have banners, female and male. Female has 3, 3 REDS which mean Tharja or Lucina could pop up to ruin my chances for regular Lyn, and the other banner has Hector. Dang it my orbs...

This is overwhelmingly hype, and I'm finally getting a Lyn out of the deal, I just hope I can get all the CYL characters, and Regular Lyn as a bonus.

EDIT: Oh yeah, the gauntlet. Supporting Ike and Lyn. Not even a question. Which of the two? That's... a tough one.

Edited by Zeo

Just now, DehNutCase said:

CA on Lyn is probably significantly better than other B-slots, given that you're mostly choosing between mobility and coverage there. CA will give her excellent coverage since horse buffs means her pre-skill coverage is absurd (assuming decent BST), hitting DC users isn't as critical for a horse archer because, as a horse, you can simply position so the poor, plodding melee unit can't even hit you even if you don't use a positioning skill afterwards, meaning you can leave then for the team to gang up (mostly to get all the buffs online) on after you snipe the 'actually dangerous' people.

This is a huge part of why Reinahrdt is so absurd, since his mobility not only gives him reach, but also safety due to his ability to reach safe squares infantry and fliers can't.

Mind, I have B!Cordelia and Perfect Klein already with Brave Bows, so Lyn needs to be kind of ridiculous for me to choose her over the other options. (Not saying a horse isn't ridiculous, which it is, but is it ridiculous enough is the question.)

Unless her offensive stats are worse than Henry's, she can either go for heavy chip via Death Blow (no Swift Sparrow, Katarina doesn't like me) or do the usual Life and Death/Desperation cheese.  Stack that with horse buffs, and I think she's going to be a player-phase delete button.  My teams usually don't have a problem with Hector/Ryoma/Xander/Ike/Camus (not at a high enough level to see Distant Counter on other things), but if there's ever a rotation where I can't bring my usual counters, Lyn's default B skill should be a huge help.

26 minutes ago, Tolvir said:

Well now you get a free green Ike, can't go wrong with that.

Definitely going Ike in the Gauntlet though. Especially since he was the green axe user I was needing.

Yup, true that!

YAY! The more for team Ike the better!

5 minutes ago, DehNutCase said:

She could have an A-slot skill like Swift Sparrow or something, even assuming the numbers are final.

I'm just assuming they have different natures and are not necessarily max level. 38 Atk is possible with +Atk and 35 base Atk, and 41 and 44 HP are suspiciously 3 apart from each other.

15 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

German can reproduce the pronunciation of Murgleis pretty damned closely as "Mürgle".

All right, then we're going with the writer couldn't remember the name, made up something that sounded like it, and called it a day. :p

14 minutes ago, Othin said:

No stranger than Lucina getting something completely out of left field, I'd say. Although that's also understandable: Awakening doesn't really have its own legendary weapons, so the closest fit would probably be like Gradivus again.

Considering Awakening is Archanea, aren't there other legendary lances they could have used?

Edited by Kaden

Just now, Kaden said:

Considering Awakening is Archanea, aren't there other legendary lances they could have used?

Gradivus is, in fact, the only "S-rank" lance from Akaneia. "S-rank" in quotes because "S" doesn't exist as a weapon level in any of the Akaneia games.

5 minutes ago, Kaden said:

The closest to an original "Legendary" Lance in Awakening is Luna .The other "Legendary" lances are Gradivus, Gae Bolg, and Gungnir, all of which are in somebody elses possession (at least, let's assume we're one day going to get more Geneaology of the Holy War units, and they happen to be wielders of Gae Bolg and Gungnir)

If I remember correctly, Lucina did use Luna in Project X Zone... but as a bride?

Edited by Xenomata