CYL FEH Channel Livestream coming Monday 3.30am UTC

DefyingFates

Choose Your Legend  

102 members have voted

1. 1. Choose Your Freebie

4 minutes ago, Nanima said:

Where does it say that? Haven't all special weapons been inheritable until now? This is just silly.

I don't plan on using any of these units, and if they don't even have anything inheritable on them it's just a big waste of my time.

All special weapons (i.e. Those without a + version) have never been inheritable.

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Nanima said:

Where does it say that? Haven't all special weapons been inheritable until now? This is just silly.

I don't plan on using any of these units, and if they don't even have anything inheritable on them it's just a big waste of my time.

No, ultimate weapons have never been inheritable. You can tell an ultimate weapon because it's a 5* weapon with its own name rather than being a "+" version of its 3* counterpart. (Ex. Ragnell, Hauteclere, Excalibur, Aura, Ragnarok, Deathly Dagger.)

They do have other inheritable skills: a special and two passives. (Lyn and Ike each have a non-inheritable passive, but those seem to be in addition to two inheritable passives rather than in place of one.) And those skills seem to be quite powerful: Lyn has Swift Sparrow and what seems to be a new variant on Threaten Atk, while Roy has the Spd/Def counterpart to Swift Sparrow as well as Galeforce. But given that these units also have the most powerful ultimate weapons in the game, not using them seems pretty silly, especially when you can get your favorite one for free.

1 minute ago, Othin said:

But given that these units also have the most powerful ultimate weapons in the game, not using them seems pretty silly, especially when you can get your favorite one for free.

I know right? They are all going to be top tier units. That's usually a pretty good reason to use someone in this game.

Okay guys you can all stop telling me, I get it now. I saw people putting Summer!Gaius bow on Takumi, and just assumed stuff (were those just edits?). Sorry for being a filthy casual I guess.

6 minutes ago, Othin said:

No, ultimate weapons have never been inheritable. You can tell an ultimate weapon because it's a 5* weapon with its own name rather than being a "+" version of its 3* counterpart. (Ex. Ragnell, Hauteclere, Excalibur, Aura, Ragnarok, Deathly Dagger.)

They do have other inheritable skills: a special and two passives. (Lyn and Ike each have a non-inheritable passive, but those seem to be in addition to two inheritable passives rather than in place of one.) And those skills seem to be quite powerful: Lyn has Swift Sparrow and what seems to be a new variant on Threaten Atk, while Roy has the Spd/Def counterpart to Swift Sparrow as well as Galeforce. But given that these units also have the most powerful ultimate weapons in the game, not using them seems pretty silly, especially when you can get your favorite one for free.

I use the units I like most based on ther character, not raw stats/skills. I feel entirely neutral on all these units, so I don't have a favourite. If everyone only used the most broken units in this game, it would be incredibly boring and predictable.

Just now, Nanima said:

Okay guys you can all stop telling me, I get it now. I saw people putting Summer!Gaius bow on Takumi, and just assumed stuff (were those just edits?). Sorry for being a filthy casual I guess.

I use the units I like most based on ther character, not raw stats/skills. I feel entirely neutral on all these units, so I don't have a favourite. If everyone only used the most broken units in this game, it would be incredibly boring and predictable.

Summer Gaius's bow is a seasonal weapon, and all the seasonal weapons can be inherited. They follow the same "+" progression as regular weapons. It's just that these are ultimate weapons, not seasonal weapons.

https://feheroes.gamepedia.com/Refreshing_Bolt

1 minute ago, Nanima said:

Summer Gaius' bow isn't exclusive as it has a more powerful + version. None of the seasonal "joke" weapons are uninheritable for that matter.

3 minutes ago, Othin said:

Summer Gaius's bow is a seasonal weapon, and all the seasonal weapons can be inherited. They follow the same "+" progression as regular weapons. It's just that these are ultimate weapons, not seasonal weapons.

https://feheroes.gamepedia.com/Refreshing_Bolt

3 minutes ago, Korath88 said:

Summer Gaius' bow isn't exclusive as it has a more powerful + version. None of the seasonal "joke" weapons are uninheritable for that matter.

I guess I just wasn't aware of the difference between "seasonal weapons" and "special weapons". it's quite a shame really. Oh well, Swift Sparrow it is.

2 minutes ago, Nanima said:

I guess I just wasn't aware of the difference between "seasonal weapons" and "special weapons". it's quite a shame really. Oh well, Swift Sparrow it is.

Oh come on, at least keep her for collection's sake, you don't have to actually bring her to the arena. I prefer to use my favourite characters over top tiers as well, but I still promoted Xander, a character I heavily dislike, because I wouldn't have been able to beat Legion and Valter infernal without him. I'm all for using the units you like, but not to the point where you screw yourself out of some rewards because of it. Sometimes you just have to set your biases aside and use certain units because some maps are just that unfair.

2 minutes ago, Nanima said:

Yeah, "special weapons" could conceivable be used to refer to either type. That's why I say "ultimate weapons" instead, to be more clear. "Legendary weapons" is also common but I avoid it because it doesn't sound like it should count Jaffar's dagger (Deathly Dagger), which sounds generic but functions the same way as the others: 5* only, non-inheritable, has +1 Mt compared to the corresponding "Silver+" weapon and an added effect. (Dire Thunder breaks the Mt pattern by having 9 Mt rather than 14 like other ultimate tomes, to allow for an especially powerful effect.)

2 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

And no one speaking any language that uses the Latin character set would pronounce the word "Murgleis" as "moo-lah-gheer", no matter how deaf, blind, or dumb.

But "Graufreud" is literally what you get when you translate "gray" + "joy" verbatim into German as "grau" + "freude". This makes sense.

"Mulagir" has nothing to any of the proposed etymologies of "Murgleis" unless I'm missing something. Heck, even the Anglicized name "Morglay" (for a French sword with a similar name, refer to Wikipedia) (1) sounds close enough and (2) borrows one of the proposed etymologies. "Mulagir" does neither.

You're right, but my point was rather that in German translations things are often changed to ensure an easier pronounciation. "Mulagir" looks wierd but is actually pretty easy to pronounce for a German speaker (easier compared to the correct french pronounciation of "Murgleis"). Same thing with Greyjoy to Graufreud, nowadays you can depend on at least some basic knowledge of English in Germany but many still struggle with English pronounciation - that's why they literally translate some names, to make it easier to understand. 

Another example that didn't just translate the name is Hermoine to Hermine, simply because no one would know how to pronounce that in German. 

Again I'm not saying that the change made sense in a meaningful way, just that German translations have a history of doing that to give readers an easier time pronouncing the names (see also "Arthur" to "Artus" for a more classical example).

2 minutes ago, Korath88 said:

Oh come on, at least keep her for collection's sake, you don't have to actually bring her to the arena. I prefer to use my favourite characters over top tiers as well, but I still promoted Xander, a character I heavily dislike, because I wouldn't have been able to beat Legion and Valter infernal without him. I'm all for using the units you like, but not to the point where you screw yourself out of some rewards because of it. Sometimes you just have to set your biases aside and use certain units because some maps are just that unfair.

Why is this so important to you? As you can probably guess, I am mostly a casual player of this game. I just log in every day for the orbs, complete a few maps I feel up to and try to collect all my favourites (emphasis on "try") + make them more powerful. I don't feel the need to have the best team out there or complete every challenge. The way I play this game is enjoyable for me, so I don't see a problem with it. 

1 hour ago, Hawk King said:

Lol, Ike is just a big middle finger to the meta right now.

Lyn as well. Anti-Blade tome/Anti-DC unit.

Lucina should of had a "Srs bsns" skill that disables enemy dancers.

Together we can destroy the meta

1 hour ago, Nanima said:

Actually I think " seasonal weapons" is not most accurate term (Legion and Clarisse also have character unique yet inheritable weapon). 

Anyway if it has + you can give it someone.

10 hours ago, Xenomata said:

I choose to instead have legendary DARK weapons crafted from the remains of Grima, legendary LIGHT weapons crafted as gifts from Naga so the armies of the Exalts of Ylisse have a means to combat a revived Grima because this is Fire Emblem why would it not happen, and legendary ANIMA weapons because why not.

I'd rather take the remains and shove them inside people and make an army of maldeiters, benedeiters, and plain old deiters out of them. If they're so overflowing with magical power, they should be able to transform whatever weapon you give them, and they'll have incredible stats to boot. And it isn't like novices could use god dragon remnant weapons safely or at all well- you'd have to train them first, so your pool of weapon wielders wouldn't exceed deiters by that much if at all.

And I'm not talking just dragon blood transfusions- somebody is going to have Grima's liver (or a piece of it- a giant Fell Dragon should have a giant liver) inserted into their abdomen, and another is going to have Naga's right pupil dropped into their right eye. The only issue is making sure the dragon body part properly unifies with the host body- things would be nightmarish for the host (and perhaps even a catastrophe for everyone else) if it didn't.

11 hours ago, DehNutCase said:

So the biggest creep is skill creep, and I'm sure IS will favor the 'counter' route, where new skills counter old skills, rather than the 'more power' route, where new skills are simply more power compared to old skills. (Drives are weaker than Hones, but aren't countered by things that counter Hones, is an example.)

Counter! Counter-Counter! Counter-Counterx2, x4, x5, .... Counter-Counterx16!

I'd think that eventually, if you have to counter the counter of a counter of a counter, the thing the first counter was intended to stop will become viable again. Why? Because you don't have room on your chars to counter everything. Or, things reach a plateau where an uncounterable setup emerges that everyone uses. I'd prefer the former outcome though.

2 hours ago, Astolfo! said:

You're choosing Lyn and that's it

And become a slave to meta ;^;

For Ike, I'm not so clear on his Beorc Blessing. In it's description is says "Effective against flying/cavalry units" in the beginning. Does it mean that Ike also does extra damage to them like how bows are strong against flying units, as well as nullifying the buffs? Or does he just null the buffs, and the skill only works on flying/cavalry?

8 minutes ago, ruruo said:

For Ike, I'm not so clear on his Beorc Blessing. In it's description is says "Effective against flying/cavalry units" in the beginning. Does it mean that Ike also does extra damage to them like how bows are strong against flying units, as well as nullifying the buffs? Or does he just null the buffs, and the skill only works on flying/cavalry?

The latter apparently. That's what I understand when reading the topic and the Summoning Topic.

Boy was I happy with this livestream! We got to see the characters and I was very happy with how they turned out, even if I would've preferred Roy as a dragon unit. I'm gonna get Lyn for my free summon but only because she's the only character who I don't have the original of yet. Gonna go for the rest as well.  

3 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I'd rather take the remains and shove them inside people and make an army of maldeiters, benedeiters, and plain old deiters out of them. If they're so overflowing with magical power, they should be able to transform whatever weapon you give them, and they'll have incredible stats to boot. And it isn't like novices could use god dragon remnant weapons safely or at all well- you'd have to train them first, so your pool of weapon wielders wouldn't exceed deiters by that much if at all.

And I'm not talking just dragon blood transfusions- somebody is going to have Grima's liver (or a piece of it- a giant Fell Dragon should have a giant liver) inserted into their abdomen, and another is going to have Naga's right pupil dropped into their right eye. The only issue is making sure the dragon body part properly unifies with the host body- things would be nightmarish for the host (and perhaps even a catastrophe for everyone else) if it didn't.

Are you saying we just cut open some guys/gals and just start shoving Grima's innards (or Nagas) into them and hope it works?

Cause... did they even have good enough surgical techniques at that point in time? Or did they just say "so you have twelve new holes in your body where holes shouldn't be and also you took an arrow to the face, chest, and knee, it also seems you have Grima's left lung pulsating out if you... HEAL STAFF NURSE!"

...maybe we should just bring the Deadlords to the good side and give them some cool-sounding weapons instead.

Edited by Xenomata

2 hours ago, ruruo said:

It means "enemy buffs are nullified if the enemy is flying or cavalry". Very poorly translated (I read it the same way you did), but Ice Dragon has said the Japanese description makes it clear that that's what it does.

Why the heck is Roy a horsie now? I guess they're kinda limited with what they can do with him since he never had a secondary weapon like the others, but still.

Probably will take Lyn as the freebie.

2 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

He and Ike are both dressed up as their dads.

Ah, I suppose that makes sense, sorta.

they should have made him a dragon like his mom instead.

1 hour ago, Othin said:

It means "enemy buffs are nullified if the enemy is flying or cavalry". Very poorly translated (I read it the same way you did), but Ice Dragon has said the Japanese description makes it clear that that's what it does.

Shame. Guess I will wait until I see both their starts first before picking the free one. In that case Ike's B skill seems so much more situational compared to Lyn's, :/. Shutting down horse/flier emblem buffs looks good on paper but I don't think I run into them enough to justify a dedicated unit. 

Lyn's bow and B on the other hand looks so much more versatile -blade tomes and DC units are arguably more commonly seen. I really have no reason not to go for her outside of no being a fan :S