DefyingFates

Choose Your Legend  

102 members have voted

1. 1. Choose Your Freebie

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. These are... crazy units. And a free ? i'm so glad since I have to pull a last time to Sacred Stones banner (not letting this 4% rate alone. My luck was bad recently).

Well, not going to pull for Roy since I prefer his father... but the three others are nice or incredible. I think I'll be pulling Lyn freely since I nether successed to pull her... and trying to pull Ike and Lucina after.

13 minutes ago, phineas81707 said:

So, um... what do we now about the Quick Hero Battles other than they exist?

It’s a rock-paper-scissors-style minigame on the official website that goes live along with the banner. It awards orbs.

>_< I'm so torn between Lyn and Ike for the free unit. The tactician in me wants Lyn, but my heart wants Ike :( Have their stats come out yet?

Lyn, because I'd like to avoid colourless hell. Horse archer just seems way too good, and she'll fit in nicely with my horse team. 

For Ike, I've really wanted an infantry axe that's not Barst or Bartre. I've got a Distant counter ready to be inherited off from a second Hector. Greg Chun's voice is too good. 

Green may have a higher chance to pull from, but there's no guarantee of getting him either :/ So annoying picking!! 

11 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

It’s a rock-paper-scissors-style minigame on the official website that goes live along with the banner. It awards orbs.

*Puts down newspaper and gives curious glance* How many orbs we talking about here?

5 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

German can reproduce the pronunciation of Murgleis pretty damned closely as "Mürgle".

Yeah, but no one (without prior knowledge of French) would actually pronounce Murgleis that way, most would just pronounce it the way it's written.

Moreover, German translations have a habit of changing some names. Tolkien novels faced this regularely, Harry Potter with Hermoine and one of the more "recent" (in terms of the show) examples is Game of Thrones (compare Theon Greyjoy with Theon Graufreud). Note - I'm not trying to defend the German translation, just adding some insight from a German who studies German ^^

Enough of linguistic differences - 

I can't decide which character I'll take! Lyn would be the most gameplay oriented choice... but I have no Ike and I always wanted one... but Sachiko Wada bias... decisions, decisions.

At first I was disappointed, only a Voting Gauntlet? Which I don't want to pull in because both 

Then the actual announcement came in.

Lucina finally having a lance and boosting allies. Roy on a horse with a neat Durandal. LYN ON A HORSE WITH MURGLEIS MULAGIR IGNORING DC. Ike with flier and cav effectiveness and can take less damage from doubling. 

LYN ON A HORSE. Definite free summon choice.

And can anyone explain what rewards are from the minigame and if they're for the playerbase or just those who play it?

Edited by Dayni

49 minutes ago, Crushie said:

Yeah, but no one (without prior knowledge of French) would actually pronounce Murgleis that way, most would just pronounce it the way it's written.

And no one speaking any language that uses the Latin character set would pronounce the word "Murgleis" as "moo-lah-gheer", no matter how deaf, blind, or dumb.

54 minutes ago, Crushie said:

one of the more "recent" (in terms of the show) examples is Game of Thrones (compare Theon Greyjoy with Theon Graufreud).

But "Graufreud" is literally what you get when you translate "gray" + "joy" verbatim into German as "grau" + "freude". This makes sense.

"Mulagir" has nothing to any of the proposed etymologies of "Murgleis" unless I'm missing something. Heck, even the Anglicized name "Morglay" (for a French sword with a similar name, refer to Wikipedia) (1) sounds close enough and (2) borrows one of the proposed etymologies. "Mulagir" does neither.

1 hour ago, Dayni said:

Ike with flier and cav effectiveness and can take less damage from doubling. 

Actually, the skill lets him ignore Flier and Cavalry buffs in combat, not grant effective damage.

1 hour ago, Dayni said:

Ike with flier and cav effectiveness and can take less damage from doubling. 

16 minutes ago, Korath88 said:

Actually, the skill lets him ignore Flier and Cavalry buffs in combat, not grant effective damage.

What Korath said. The wording "Effective against flying and cavalry units" refers to the fact that the skill only takes effect against flying and cavalry units, not that Ike deals effective damage against flying and cavalry units. I'm not sure how the localization team mussed that one up so hard.

The effect from Urvan, as best as I understand it from the wording, only applies to attacks that hit consecutively without interruption by Ike. Specifically,

• The second and fourth hits when the opponent has a Brave weapon.
  • The second hit when the opponent has Desperation active.
  • The second hit when Ike cannot counterattack.
  • The second, third, and fourth hits when the opponent has a Brave weapon and and Desperation active.
  • The second, third, and fourth hits when the opponent has a Brave weapon and Ike cannot counterattack.

SHUT THE FUCK UP!

I just got home from work and I only saw the bulletin board in-game and I thought they screwed us with just a voting gauntlet. Holy shit though I just watched the video and holy shit!!

We finally get a bow knight!!

Lyn, Ike, and Lucina all look broken as fuck. Is it just me or is Roy by far the least impressive of the bunch? Edit! - wait, I read it wrong the first time. His weapon has built in heavy blade?! OMG!

And one of them is legit free?!

I'm already disappointed in myself by how much I spent on the Sacred Stones, Hero Fest and Tempest Trials banners. These new characters might just take me into the full on whale category...  And then there is the banner with Hector in it. More Distant counter fodder is so tempting.

Edited by Hawk King

45 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

What Korath said. The wording "Effective against flying and cavalry units" refers to the fact that the skill only takes effect against flying and cavalry units, not that Ike deals effective damage against flying and cavalry units. I'm not sure how the localization team mussed that one up so hard.

The effect from Urvan, as best as I understand it from the wording, only applies to attacks that hit consecutively without interruption by Ike. Specifically,

• The second and fourth hits when the opponent has a Brave weapon.
  • The second hit when the opponent has Desperation active.
  • The second hit when Ike cannot counterattack.
  • The second, third, and fourth hits when the opponent has a Brave weapon and and Desperation active.
  • The second, third, and fourth hits when the opponent has a Brave weapon and Ike cannot counterattack.

Whoops. Still, ignoring those buffs is no bad things, and the Urvan effect makes sense too. Still, it's not like it's bad either. Does make it more obvious to go for Lyn though.

5 minutes ago, Hawk King said:

Lyn, Ike, and Lucina all look broken as fuck. Is it just me or is Roy by far the least impressive of the bunch?

Just you- Lucina is the least impressive. Roy's sword has innate Heavy Blade.

6 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

No, my problem is not "this letter doesn't exist". My problem is "this letter makes the wrong sound" that is the problem of exchanging words between two languages using the same character base for their writing system.

The problem with "rendezvous" in the fact that in English, three of those letters don't normally make the same sound as they do in the word ("e" doesn't normally make the "ah" sound, "z" is normally not silent, "s" is normally not silent). Other languages that are not English tend to either change the spelling of loan words to keep the pronunciation or change the pronunciation of loan words to keep their spelling. English keeps both the spelling and pronunciation of loan words (as well as words from older versions of the language that made less sense) even if they don't follow any of the patterns that normally exist in the language, which results in all of the dumb shit that the language does.

As an example (that doesn't use the Latin character set), Japanese borrows a lot of words from Chinese (because the Chinese character set is a subset of the Japanese character set) and changes the pronunciations of the words to match the pronunciation of the characters in Japanese. There are a few esoteric loan words from Chinese that use different pronunciations that more closely resemble the Chinese pronunciations (a good example is most of the terminology in mahjong), but those are not in general use.

Of particular note, even proper nouns change their pronunciation between Chinese and Japanese to remain in line with the borrowing language's pronunciation. For example, Sun Yat-sen's name is pronounced the way the characters in his name are pronounced in Mandarin ("ee-shyan"), Cantonese ("yuht-seen"), and Japanese ("ees-sen") in those languages rather than keeping the same pronunciation in all three.

I mean--that's just English. It's a magpie of a language, always borrowing pretty shinies from somewhere else. Not really the best language for rules and structure in general.

17 minutes ago, phineas81707 said:

TBH, Lucina being the least impressive is probably due to her kit being more of a support unit with spur buffs rather than the offensive powerhouses that Lyn, Ike and Roy are built to be. She also has competition with Ephraim and Eirika as support buffers and Tana and Cordelia as offensive lancers.

24 minutes ago, phineas81707 said:

Yeah I noticed that when I watched it again. His Atk stat seems to be on the low side though. Even with the +3 and a 16 mt weapon it was 48 or 49?

Lucina has the Infantry version of the Goad skill built into her weapon, only +3 but still. And it works for every unit not just infantry. With her C-skill she gives +3 Atk and +6 Spd to allies within 2 spaces. She might be more of a support unit but she is pretty freaking great regardless.

Lol, Ike is just a big middle finger to the meta right now.

Edited by Hawk King

3 minutes ago, Korath88 said:

TBH, Lucina being the least impressive is probably due to her kit being more of a support unit with spur buffs rather than the offensive powerhouses that Lyn, Ike and Roy are built to be. She also has competition with Ephraim and Eirika as support buffers and Tana and Cordelia as offensive lancers.

It's not looking promising for me getting Tana. If I somehow get Lucina, it'll be such a slap in the face that her Drive Speed is immediately getting dumped on someone else.

4 minutes ago, Hawk King said:

Yeah I noticed that when I watched it again. His Atk stat seems to be on the low side though. Even with the +3 and a 16 mt weapon it was 48 or 49?

Lucina has the Infantry version of the Goad skill built into her weapon, only +3 but still. And it works for every unit not just infantry. With her C-skill she gives +3 Atk and +6 Spd to allies within 2 spaces. She might be more of a support unit but she is pretty freaking great regardless.

With.the Weapon he looks to have 51 Atk, so its possible his base Atk without his 19 MT Weapon is 32.

6 hours ago, Alkaid said:

I sincerely hope the freebie CYL units are neutral nature locked. I've already been beaten and battered by bad nature rng on the summer banners, I really need a break. I'll gladly take no chance at getting +atk/spd for the guarantee of no -atk/spd.

Seems like they have to be, since the icon that pops up when you're selecting them should make it possible to preview their stats.

5 hours ago, Nanima said:

*takes one look at Archer!Lyn*

Heeeeeeeey.... Nice bow.

(I know a boy who will rock the world with it)

It's not inheritable. None of these weapons are.

9 minutes ago, Othin said:

Seems like they have to be, since the icon that pops up when you're selecting them should make it possible to preview their stats.

It's not inheritable. None of these weapons are.

Where does it say that? Haven't all special weapons been inheritable until now? This is just silly.

I don't plan on using any of these units, and if they don't even have anything inheritable on them it's just a big waste of my time.

3 minutes ago, Nanima said:

Where does it say that? Haven't all special weapons been inheritable until now? This is just silly.

I don't plan on using any of these units, and if they don't even have anything inheritable on them it's just a big waste of my time.

None of the special weapons have ever been inheritable. None of them.

2 minutes ago, Nanima said:

Might do you so some goodses to scroll to the bottom of the OP of this threadses, uwe hee hee.

Drive Spdses, Galeforce, and Armored Darting Blowses are the only inheritable skillses on these four, we thinks.