CYL FEH Channel Livestream coming Monday 3.30am UTC

DefyingFates

Choose Your Legend  

102 members have voted

1. 1. Choose Your Freebie

1 hour ago, Tenzen12 said:

Putting aside "Marth" so far all alternative versions of characters was always pretty distinct from their originals. I don't see why it should be different this time...

A precedent exists for both cases. I honestly don't see any reason why it has to go one way or the other, which is why I don't have my hopes up.

The lower you set your expectations, the less likely you are to be disappointed. That's the point I'm getting at.

I've made no predictions of what the banner is going to be, only indicating the level of my expectations. If you're treating my statement as a prediction of any sort, you are mistaken.

1 hour ago, YotsuMaboroshi said:

The only way I'd see that happening is if they are released as free units from completing a Xenologue.  Otherwise it's just a banner with units that already exists, but that (probably) can't be merged with the existing units.

I don't see what's wrong with having a banner with units that already exist.

Honestly, if I'm going to make a prediction at all, it'll be that the CYL banner will have a 5% focus rate. CYL is something that is on the same level as the 6-month anniversary, so I think the chances that it could be a 5% focus rate are pretty decent. (There's also this neat coincidence that both of the previous Hero Fest banners were preceded by a FEH Channel broadcast.)

Edited by Ice Dragon

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, Alistair said:

Random thought: do y'all think the next TT could be Sacred Stones-themed? We had Valter and the Sacred World come out of nowhere, and they had to back-to-back Echoes banners so I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility.

I don't think there's any evidence the next TT really will be SS themed, but we're pretty much in agreement that it's possible, regardless of whether we want to see it. Counting the TT reward unit, that would be precisely 8 characters from the game that would serve as bonus units. There are only five maps that relate to Sacred Stones (Paralogue 1-1, 1-3, and all three of paralogue 10). Add the final map that's created for the TT, and you have just six maps in rotation, but the previous TT taught us they're willing to use maps unrelated to the game theme, so not enough SS maps is okay.

20 minutes ago, Alistair said:

Random thought: do y'all think the next TT could be Sacred Stones-themed? We had Valter and the Sacred World come out of nowhere, and they had to back-to-back Echoes banners so I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility.

Yeah, that's my guess. I'd been speculating about it since Valter's GHB was announced, actually, after all the FE2 stuff recently. I don't think more FE8 main banners in the near future are especially likely, but a banner, a GHB, and a TT would make a nice set.

12 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

I don't think there's any evidence the next TT really will be SS themed, but we're pretty much in agreement that it's possible, regardless of whether we want to see it. Counting the TT reward unit, that would be precisely 8 characters from the game that would serve as bonus units. There are only five maps that relate to Sacred Stones (Paralogue 1-1, 1-3, and all three of paralogue 10). Add the final map that's created for the TT, and you have just six maps in rotation, but the previous TT taught us they're willing to use maps unrelated to the game theme, so not enough SS maps is okay.

Previous TTs have used two sets of 3+ maps, so my guess is that they'd just use all of Paralogue 1 and all of Paralogue 10. P1-2 is from FE4, but as you pointed out, this month's TT shows that that isn't an issue.

Although P10-1 is a defense map. So far, they haven't had any defense maps in TTs, but they could just turn off the reinforcements and have it function as a regular map. Like how they limit the maps to four characters and left off the turn limit for 12-2 and 12-3. And the only defense map they've even specifically skipped over is 11-3, which has the additional problem of the party split.

2 hours ago, Xenomata said:

I'm not even demanding they be good, just Roy have something fire-related, and even THAT is too high?

You can just give stuff like Ignis and Bonfire through SI and even so, those skills' performance would depend on CYL!Roy's def stat. The whole Roy and fire thing was mostly a Smash thing. In FE6, he got the 20 use Binding Blade really late into the game so you couldn't really abuse it. Before that, Roy was just an average swordsman. 

@Sire I could see them allowing you to have only one of them for free kinda like how NA FGO gave players a special ticket which allowed them to choose from a selection of 4* Servants. Neutral IVs, of course. The rest? Get ready to roll. 

Edited by Lord-Zero

4 minutes ago, Lord-Zero said:

You can just give stuff like Ignis and Bonfire through SI and even so, those skills' performance would depend on CYL!Roy's def stat. The whole Roy and fire thing was mostly a Smash thing. In FE6, he got the 20 use Binding Blade really late into the game so you couldn't really abuse it. Before that, Roy was just an average swordsman. 

@Sire I could see them allowing you to have only one of them for free kinda like how NA FGO gave players a special ticket which allowed them to choose from a selection of 4* Servants. The rest? Get ready to roll. 

Roy's use of fire is tied to the Binding Blade, but in both Smash and Heroes, he can use it all the time. (As long as he's 5*, in the case of Heroes.) Just like how other characters get to be defined by their ultimate weapons even if they don't have them for long, like Lyn, Eliwood, and Hector using the weapons they only get in the final chapter.

2 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

I don't see what's wrong with having a banner with units that already exist.

It's not that it's a banner with units that already exist (they run those all the time after all), its a banner with units that already exist, but that doesn't benefit the existing units (since as of right now, alternate artwork is a completely different unit with no relation to the existing unit).  If you already have all four characters at +10, that's less incentive for you to pull on the banner, and if you don't, you're getting an exact copy of units you may already have, but you can't merge them.

Promos like you mentioned for Cipher work out fairly well because they're free.  Collectors would pay for them, but average players probably wouldn't.  Putting a 'new unit' banner that only has alternate artwork for existing units seems like a bad decision from a business point of view.  It is possible that this isn't our next banner that'll drop when Sacred World ends, but given the build-up they're giving CYL, that doesn't seem likely.

Edit:  Forgot Cipher has alt-art cards in packs, so the promo comparison doesn't quite work out.  'New unit' banner logic still holds though, as the alt-art cards don't replace anything in the set.  I'm not really sure there is a good comparison with Cipher, as the mediums are different (gacha game vs CCG).

Though the only alt-art unit that is a copy of the original in Heroes was free (Marth, Enigmatic Blade), so far.

Edited by YotsuMaboroshi

52 minutes ago, Othin said:

Roy's use of fire is tied to the Binding Blade, but in both Smash and Heroes, he can use it all the time. (As long as he's 5*, in the case of Heroes.) Just like how other characters get to be defined by their ultimate weapons even if they don't have them for long, like Lyn, Eliwood, and Hector using the weapons they only get in the final chapter.

I know. The whole "t3h Ph1r3" thing comes from the sword itself; not Roy's probable "dragon blood" or whatever. Anyway, I'm looking forward to the meltdown on Sunday. 

8 minutes ago, Lord-Zero said:

I know. The whole "t3h Ph1r3" thing comes from the sword itself; not Roy's probable "dragon blood" or whatever. Anyway, I'm looking forward to the meltdown on Sunday. 

The irony of it is that Roy's potential Dragon blood is from the Ice clan- so he should have a propensity for cold.

4 minutes ago, phineas81707 said:

The irony of it is that Roy's potential Dragon blood is from the Ice clan- so he should have a propensity for cold.

My own Roy has Iceberg, and I wasn't even thinking about it I just gave him the skill that'd add the most damage, so...

10 minutes ago, Xenomata said:

My own Roy has Iceberg, and I wasn't even thinking about it I just gave him the skill that'd add the most damage, so...

Kinda like how my Sanaki has Iceberg while simultaneously using a tome that drops miniature suns on people.

9 minutes ago, Tybrosion said:

Kinda like how my Sanaki has Iceberg while simultaneously using a tome that drops miniature suns on people.

"Oh no, looks like I burned you pretty bad!

"Here, let me fix that for you :D"

44 minutes ago, Tybrosion said:

A splendid idea, roast them and then freeze them. Even if they can survive one temperature extreme, the spontaneous shift to the other should erode any defense.

1 hour ago, phineas81707 said:

Further proof that if Ninian has any reason as to why she should exist, she does not belong with Eliwood (I've recently soured in my opinion of her in FE7's plot). 

This is just wishful thinking on my part, but I really hope we get at least ONE of them for free. This is something the whole community had a part in deciding, and it just seems cheap and silly to make it some Orb-consuming limited-time miss-it-and-you're-screwed-out-of-it event. I'm low on Orbs and would prefer not to spend money, but man...I dunno, I'll probably miss out on all of them, just like with 99% of the other special character so far...

I doubt they'll just be straight alt costumes of the existing units with no stat changes or new skills. I think they'll make it more special than that. Not to mention it'd be a bit silly to have three Lucinas with no differences besides art. At least, not within just 6 months of the game's life. 

Regardless of what they do it's gonna be an interesting announcement.. and yeah I hope we hear what sacred coins do finally. Hope for more free orb announcements too since I'm dry from summer

don't know if anyone has seen this yet, but there may be a different method of summoning for CYL that involves choosing one of the 4 heroes for free. It's still not very clear and entirely speculative, but one can hope, at least.

Spoiler

Hmm, while that would be nice, I have a hard time believing IS would choose to let us pick one of the CYL heroes for free when they could realistically make a lot of money off them by making them summonable the normal way.

So I'm going to doubt this for now, but be pleasantly surprised if it turns out to be the case.

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

Hmm, while that would be nice, I have a hard time believing IS would choose to let us pick one of the CYL heroes for free when they could realistically make a lot of money off them by making them summonable the normal way.

So I'm going to doubt this for now, but be pleasantly surprised if it turns out to be the case.

Ditto, but it would be a nice consolation if I miss Tana and Ninian, the former because of the latter.

Or it might be generic Sacred Coin text strings.

1 minute ago, phineas81707 said:

Ditto, but it would be a nice consolation if I miss Tana and Ninian, the former because of the latter.

Or it might be generic Sacred Coin text strings.

Yeah, true, it'd be a nice consolation since I'm missing Seth...

And I do wonder if the Sacred Coins are related to this too.

I wouldn't say I'm hyped, but I'm extremely curious to see what designs, weapons, and skills they'll bring. I mean, they made us wait this long for them. Hopefully it's something cool.

Granted, I imagine I'll probably end up trying to get Ike and Lucina one way or another. I do unironically like their characters a lot so I probably won't be able to resist.

Edited by Sentinel07

3 hours ago, YotsuMaboroshi said:

It's not that it's a banner with units that already exist (they run those all the time after all), its a banner with units that already exist, but that doesn't benefit the existing units (since as of right now, alternate artwork is a completely different unit with no relation to the existing unit).  If you already have all four characters at +10, that's less incentive for you to pull on the banner, and if you don't, you're getting an exact copy of units you may already have, but you can't merge them.

While it is unlikely that the CYL characters will be exact copies of their regular versions, I don't think this sort of thing would be as big of an issue as you are making it out to be.

Even without a difference in stats, an exact duplicate would still be worth collection value (for the purpose of collection itself or for anything else it uniquely has such as its artwork and voice lines), is still a 5-star unit for players with meager rosters, and would not be prevented from being fielded in Squad Assault and Arena Assault if their base character were previously fielded.

As I already mentioned, I don't think they'll do this, but I have no reason to completely rule the possibility out. I just think people have too lofty of expectations.

3 hours ago, YotsuMaboroshi said:

I'm not really sure there is a good comparison with Cipher, as the mediums are different (gacha game vs CCG).

A trading card game is literally just an analog gacha game. A gacha game has access to more complex elements by virtue of having a computer to roll dice and flip coins (as well as immediate action-reaction feedback, but that's not relevant for this particular comparison).

Still hoping they just straight up give away a Glade to everyone as part of the CYL event.

I am just really enamored with the idea of "honoring" the least popular Fire Emblem character by forcing him on everyone. Pokemon giving away a Simisear alongside the most popular (Greninja, I believe) just tickled me so I just want to see more things like that. Bonus if its "CYL" Glade so he has a bunch of voice clips about being dead last.

6 hours ago, Arthur97 said:

Chrom vs. Ike is just unfair. I would also be genuinely concerned Tharja would win round one.

I don't think we're at that point. I doubt they'll do SS before SD unless they want to save Marth for near the end. Plus, grand hero characters never appear in TT.

I would be in Lucina team, but is there any problem if Tharja won? People always complain there is no tension in gauntlet anyway.

1 hour ago, Ice Dragon said:

While it is unlikely that the CYL characters will be exact copies of their regular versions, I don't think this sort of thing would be as big of an issue as you are making it out to be.

Even without a difference in stats, an exact duplicate would still be worth collection value (for the purpose of collection itself or for anything else it uniquely has such as its artwork and voice lines), is still a 5-star unit for players with meager rosters, and would not be prevented from being fielded in Squad Assault and Arena Assault if their base character were previously fielded.

As I already mentioned, I don't think they'll do this, but I have no reason to completely rule the possibility out. I just think people have too lofty of expectations.

I'm not sure it's lofty to expect alternate art units on a banner to use different weapons.  All other alternate art banners have done this so far, the only 'alt-art' unit that hasn't is 'Marth, Enigmatic Blade', who was a free unit.  There's not really a precedent for releasing a banner with new art but heroes that are exactly the same as currently released heroes.

I did forget about utility for Assaults.  I do think there would be some backlash from fans if this happened, though, given the build-up.

1 hour ago, Ice Dragon said:

A trading card game is literally just an analog gacha game. A gacha game has access to more complex elements by virtue of having a computer to roll dice and flip coins (as well as immediate action-reaction feedback, but that's not relevant for this particular comparison).

I agree that CCG is an analog gacha.  The method of release is different though, which is what I meant by no good comparison.

When a CCG releases a new set, you buy packs specifically for that set, and no cards from outside the set will be in those packs.  When a gacha releases a new banner, you have to pull the new units out of the existing pool.  It would be like a CCG that never releases a new set, but periodically adds new cards into newly printed boosters.

That's why promo or alt-art cards aren't quite comparable to a 'new unit' banner.  The closest comparison I could think of at the time would be a CCG releasing a 'new' set where some of the rares are alternate art, but the rest of the cards are the exact same as the previous set (including art).  There are CCGs that do something similar (MtG, for example), but those aren't put out in place of 'new' sets.