Valkyria Chronicles: Gallian Crossfire mod - Temporary Ceasefire

Ertrick36

As much as I want to get right into the DLC, I think that what I'm gonna do here is make the first DLC part a separate post from this closing so that it doesn't detract from the other part (and so that I can maybe put more screenshots in the DLC part).

In the meantime, I'll finish this chapter off and shove in the last interlude before this DLC part.

Chapter 7-8: Cowardly Imps Berated by Mortar-Deflecting Super Albino (Closing)

Spoiler

bI0txAd.png

So we cut to this scene immediately after the results screen...

2PtybQI.png

And it's of the Imps fleeing in terror...

X3w8zbz.png

Probably of this lady.

giphy.gifgiphy.gif

Or either of these murderers.

GOFmOpa.png

Hey now!

Isara, Lynn, and Jane are at least equally as terrifying as you.

I think it's understandable that they'd run for their lives.

XD4UaQQ.png

Probably the Imps right now:

xYg38F0.png

UWby5LO.png

Then suddenly an Imp tank 'splodes next to Selvaria.

But because she used her shield... she's perfectly okay?

EJvtDqf.png

Oh joy, here comes them tank bois!

lzTj8ec.png

Who, for some reason, are being led by Welks.

fSqshQK.png

Also... he's not... actually gonna fire at Selvaria, is he?

jASFkc5.png

He totally is!

6TzQawm.png

How many times do we have to teach you this lesson, old man?

Seriously, we literally just fought her.  We learned that a goddamn mortar shell can't even hurt her.

How do you expect this to turn out?

uXLe6mx.png

First shell incoming, and...

s4sxegC.pngnuGr6pv.png

A couple thousand DCTs wasted!

Good job, Welks.

8PjSV3X.png

Oh, and her shield starts spinning like crazy...

2m19VOE.png

Do I count another couple thousand DCTs down the drain?

I think I do!

Way to go, people!  You succeeded in wasting valuable resources on an effort that didn't work at all.

vp529sE.png

EpUX0hU.jpg

No, really?  As if the bright flashes and her still standing weren't enough to tell me as much?

e6cghhM.png

rfQHp9L.jpg

Goddammit, Welkin, you just had to tempt me!

7stCwm7.png

QmIkJWw.png

Shut the hell up, you lost this battle.  You have no right to call us peasants anymore.

Also, Selvaria never struck me as the judgmental type, even when judging her enemies, so believe me when I say that I find it a bit strange that she's now calling us "peasant army".

Spoiler

Then again, once you see what happens in her DLC chapter, I think she has every right to be judgmental against all of Gallia.

Vc4ivHY.pngt92c0PP.png

X3w8zbz.png

Yes, run, you cowards!  Run or be squashed like the insects you are!

SJZO1AA.png

Just fuck already, goddammit!

Okay, to be fair, they all basically swore fealty to Maximilian, including Selvaria, so I think they're kind of obligated to protect him, or else risk being court marshaled.

V8Bj49X.png

And then we watch her walk away with her fleeing troops from a fiery battlefield.

Tails between their goddamn legs.

Blood pouring from their gaping wounds... well, except for Selvaria.

X3w8zbz.png

I hope you receive my message well, feeble Drei Stern!

Spoiler

Seriously, it was just as was predicted in the first part of Chapter 6.

Then we cut to the debriefing.

ATalgFC.png

But none were from your platoon because your platoon is just propaganda.

Quit trying to fool me with that pained look.

5DRVUUV.png

Who the hell cares about him, though?

He was easy cheese.

D3cs6eL.png

Yeah, Alicia actually knows who really carried the Imps.

vDQrooB.png

I...

You...

PUwO6O9.png

All of you are so stupid.

I think it's pretty damn obvious what she was.

qs94M2C.png

Let this incompetent buffoon lay it out for you.

rxrXf3L.png

Okay, I know Alicia... had moments.

But I don't remember her being this goddamn moronic.

Does he really need to spell it out for you?

TBhKo8f.png

Even Faldio looks like he's done with Alicia's stupidity.

FcAJtH8.png

Yes, he exactly means what you think he means, Alicia.

U9a9Ol2.png

Well...

Now you're asking an excellent question.

So yes, we had previously gathered that the Valkyria had spontaneously shown up at a certain part of history thousands of years ago, but then they vanish as quickly as they appeared as soon as they're done dealing with the Darcsens.

Now here we suddenly have a member of that race working for the Empire.  We don't know who she is or where she came from.  We don't even know what kind of noble lineage she may have beyond that of the Valkyrur.

If nothing else, the Valkyria sure seem to love spontaneously showing up.  But still... that's rather suspicious.

poKFaLR.png

But so is a woman deflecting fucking tank shells with nothing but a giant lance and spinning shield.

pjE0gfI.png

There's literally no other explanation.

Save for the possible fact that Selvaria is actually the long lost sister of Isara.

djabvdq.png

If you know, then why do you ask so many dumb questions?

And that's the end of this chapter.  We've seen a Valkyrur, so now we can move on to Selvaria's DLC without any worries.  And then I can pretend to unlock Ruhm so that Lynn can finally use it.

Interlude 7 (very short):

Spoiler

rSsmgTd.png

As per usual, the abridged versions of these stories.

• Militia Routs Imp Commander: The Gallian Militia found and defeated the Commander of the Imperial troops, and multiple eyewitness accounts clam to have fought a woman who could only be described as one of the Valkyrur of legend.
  • New Lode in Gallian Southeast: With the Imperial capture of northern Gallia, geologists have sought and found new ragnite lodes in the southeast with hopes that these could fill the current void in resources the Imperial invasion has caused.

So next...

Someone new showed up.

Take a guess who it is.

lXkRTeH.png

Meet this crowd-pleaser and objectively the best sniper in the game, Marina Wulfstan.

About Sniper Marina Wulfstan: With a searing distaste for other people that results in a glare that can scare off even the outgoing and open-minded Ted Ustinov, she is a lone wolf hunter who prefers the company of cute and cuddly animals over her fellow platoon members.  As a hunter who learned from her father, she seems to never let her prey escape.

She is the most popular Valkyria Chronicles character in the west, and plenty of figures and merch are based on her.  Not only that, but due to her potentials, she effectively is the best sniper in the game.

Potentials: 

Spoiler
  • Pollen Allergy
  • Lone Wolf: Being near allies causes her to lose evasion
  • Night Vision: Nighttime ops make her more accurate

Likes: Literally no one at all, though she probably likes Hans

Assessment:

Spoiler

Pollen allergy is the only real problem for her; Lone Wolf is of no consequence because there isn't really a reason you should need to put her with others since she's a sniper.

In vanilla game, her real boon comes from her battle potentials.  Each battle potential effectively works to make her a sniper of both deadly precision and attrition.  One potential increases attack power, one will occasionally cause her to regain lost ammunition, one will occasionally allow her to bypass enemy defenses when firing at them, and one will ensure she always has 100% accuracy, meaning that the orange aiming circle becomes a dot and that she'll always hit whatever she's aiming at.  That last one especially makes her the best, because no other sniper in the game has a potential that is a guarantee proc for 100% accuracy.

With the mod installed, her hidden potential, My Way, also give her a boost in accuracy and attack, instead of evasion like the vanilla did.  That only makes her an even better sniper.  The only drawback is that she does not work well in the presence of others; in order for her to perform her absolute best, you need to have her be alone.  But that is a minor setback, as you can very easily have her operate solo.

I'll leave who I kicked off the team to make room for Marina a mystery for now.  I will let you all know in due time.

In fact, I think I'll just leave the latter part of this Interlude for another time.

Until next time...

I'll give you all a peak at what's in store.

LgKZWhX.png

Why does this guy have the same name as the bus driver from the Simpsons?

Why is it that you pronounce "Johann" like "Yo-han"?

Why do they sound like they're total bros?

RM12gGk.png

And why does Selvaria want this nerdy-sounding loser to come see her personally?

Find out the answer to one of these questions in the next part!  I'm sorry, we'll never learn the backstory of either of these dudes.

Edited by Ertrick36

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright, let's get started on Selvaria's DLC.

Behind Her Blue Flame DLC Segment 1: Nerd Marth Shows Up (Part 1)

Spoiler

wloFB25.png

So there's actually four DLC packs.

• EXPERT Level Skirmishes basically give you the Hard EX (yes, "EX" stands for "Expert", not "ex-lover" like I implied way back towards the beginning of the LP) for Skirmishes; this is an extra challenging difficulty on top of standard Hard mode, and it's mostly a post-game thing.
  • Enter the Edy Detachment! is a single mission that stars the likes of Edy the Fab, Homer the Masochistic, Jann the Also Fab, Susie the Lady Who Shoots Her Allies in the Backs of Their Heads By "Accident", Marina the Sniper, and Lynn the War God.  With these troops, you fight off a bunch of Imperials from a town and even get to rescue a key member of the Platoon.
  • Behind Her Blue Flame is the one we'll be playing; it features Selvaria herself, working with her very own platoon of Imperial soldiers.  It takes place before the events of the base game, so as long as you are aware that Selvaria's a Valkyrur, there's little the missions can spoil for you aside from certain levels that will show up later.
  • Challenge Edy Detachment! is a series of skirmish challenges offered by Edy and her crew (minus Lynn, for some reason).  Not necessarily post-game like the other skirmishes are, but they do offer interesting challenges.

I will only do two - or possibly three - of these.  There's no way in hell I'm LPing the Expert Skirmishes this time around, and I don't particularly want to do any skirmishes at all unless I change my mind toward the end.

SCpHgfU.png

So let me tell you more about Behind Her Blue Flame, because there's some important information I need to give readers who've never played it before.  There's actually four missions in total for this; two of them are identical (Silencing the Artillery and Rout of the Gallian Forces), and one can only be acquired if you A rank the other three (the Covert Op).

The unmodded version of these missions are actually fairly challenging because the Imps... well, they suck.  A lot.  Their weapons are awful, their stats are awful, and one of the main guys you need to keep alive is an engineer - one of the more feeble classes.  Your enemy is quite strong by comparison, including a certain PoS mole in a trench who gave me a fuck ton of trouble (you guys will probably recognize him).  Your only saving grace is Selvaria, an already powerful scout armed with the Ruhm machine gun.  That's right, a scout with a machine gun; she's the only scout that is able to use it.  But in order to get her where she needs to be, you have to use the engineer in all three missions leading up to the Covert Op, which basically means you need to use everyone else to clear a path for him.

However, busards thought it would be a good idea to make this mission totally piss easy.  Why?  Because it's the mother fucking Empire, led by one of the baddest mother fuckers to have ever lived.  Why would they have issues fighting against a bunch of chumps led by a certain sleazeball?  Also because he likely knew that most people obtaining the mod have probably already played this DLC, and with the rest of the game being that much more challenging, he probably felt it was appropriate.

So this won't be much of a challenging segment.  If you want true challenge, wait until I play the Edy Detachment DLC; I already can tell that it'll be absolute hell.

But still...  Even without the challenge, there's still a charm to this DLC.  If nothing else, we get to see what things are like behind that iron curtain, so to speak.  And that, my friends, warrants interest.

So sit back and watch as Gallia's troops are violently and horrifically ripped to shreds by the Empire's finest while we get spats of exposition in between slaughters.

pYCPOlH.png

Probably should've shown this pic first...

Wow, Irene also wrote about Selvaria?  Damn, she was all over the place, wasn't she?  To be fair, in VC2, your school actually receives a foreign exchange student from the Empire, so I'm sure something slipped there.

5Oip4ro.png

And may you forever technically serve under the worst prince of the Empire.

The base game is typically narrated by Irene Koller.  This is narrated by that engineer I've been telling you about.  Johann Oswald Eisen, who actually shows up in the anime as this guy:

mKjPQsr.jpg

Though he's called something else... but still, it's essentially the same guy.

I really wish you guys could listen to this guy's voice.  It's like one of the big kids just shoved him in the locker after he tried to show them his acceptance papers for some law school.  Basically, he sounds like a nerd.

He's actually voiced by Yuri Lowenthal, so I'm gonna call him "Nerd Marth" from now on.  And no, it isn't just because I think he sounds like a nerd; he's kind of a total wimp in the game, too.  Remember, he's an engineer.

Also, his name is pronounced "Yo Han".  "Yo" as in, "yo, dawg" and "Han" as in, "Han Solo".

7ibpgW2.pngEwnEVSv.png

So Nerd Marth lays everything out for us.

I'm pretty sure he's supposed to actually sound like a nervous recruit, but I prefer mocking him more than being accurate.

vWxKaNl.png

Then we see this guy.

Okay, since you guys can't actually hear these people...

I just want any of you who haven't played this to imagine this guy having the same voice as Otto from the Simpsons.  Why?  Just because.  It's funner than his actual voice.

cIs8ecO.png

8401WBM.png

How are you people able to tell each other apart with those goddamn helmets?

Do they just smell each other?  Like dogs?  I'd like to imagine that Imperial troops just smell each others asses before formally greeting one another.  That must make Selvaria's job extremely uncomfortable.

So yeah, there's these two guys, and they apparently are already buds.  One of them is a friggin' Ace.  As far as I can find, we never actually run into him in the base game.  Other Aces from the base game show up as deployable units for this DLC, though.  Including the recurring Ty the Immortal.  He actually shows up in Chapter 3 of the base game, but I didn't spot him.

xLrSpoF.png

I find that phrase amusing for some reason.  "Fired up to do my shocktrooper thing".

I mean... could you imagine someone saying that in real life?  Like, a U.S. soldier going "I'm fired up to do my EOD thing".  Or "I'm pumped to get started with my anti-aircraft artillery thing".

Really, it's quite amusing.  I wish more folks expressed this much enthusiasm with their jobs.

1uXY29a.png

Oh, you mean that worthless piece of shit I literally just destroyed?

Damn, the 7th Platoon is the only force worth a damn around here.

Oe9WAFr.png

And the other side of the coin.

I think the big reason why Nerd Marth is an engineer is so that he can just stay near tanks and avoid direct combat.

jQ5astG.png

What, that he'll be reassigned to a Darcsen Work Camp?

You'll get that joke later on.

KBYnlDT.png

Wow, actually accurate military unit denotations?

Selvaria is a brigadier general, which is a consistent level of command with a regiment.

Though again... "squad".  We'll be working with a force the size of a platoon, which is Selvaria's elite guard.

So once more, I'll be calling them a "platoon".  Specifically, Selvaria's Platoon, since I'm pretty sure they never give you a name for the platoon.

8wFK2cU.png

I mean...

I think working for a fucking Super Albino is a pretty significant change from whoever the hell you worked for before.

MwHivXV.png

Are you serious?

Selvaria thinks that our Grand Exalt Isara is beneath her, but she wants a personal audience with Nerd Marth?

uVcd3Hl.png

When and if I actually encounter Johann in the main game, I will feed him his balls!

No, no...

I'm not working for Isara here.  This time around, it's the Imperial News Network (INN).  Providing you with news that will certainly help you sleep better at night than anything Fox or CNN will provide you.

I shouldn't be biased here.  Not toward the Gallian peasants, anyway.

0R1dl3R.png

That being said, I agree with Johann 100%.  This most certainly has got to be some mistake.

Also, Johann is the only Imperial soldier whose eyes we actually get to see, I think.  Aside from the fact that he's also one of a few Imperial engineers that appear throughout the game, this is about the most special treatment he'll get as a character.

ZGgZKOM.png

Otto the bus driver returns his remark with an interesting proposition.

Yes, Johann.  Tell the immortal albino with a tank-busting lance that's bigger than your entire body that she "made a mistake".  I'm sure it'll go quite well for you.

5zdpN0E.png

Yeah, I'll say.

You people are mouthy enough as it is.

Mbsa0zy.png

Aw, look at how sad he looks in this picture.

CvBM6vy.png

And look at this fuggin' guy strikin' a pose!

I just wish I knew the story behind why you guys are friends.

Ah well!  Selvaria's probably a much more interesting character anyway.

We then cut to-

fdYXU3k.png

Well... yeah, Selvaria's command center...

which is just a tent.

I guess some things are universal, even when it comes to Gallian Militia troops and Imperial elites.  Though I'm sure it's a more comfortable tent than Varrot's.

7fcmVlO.png

I'm sorry.

s0SLvTf.png

Thar she be.

We come upon her without her cape, and so we can see her bare shoulders.

How scandalous!

niRWchF.png

She's just grooming herself, it would seem.  Or adjusting her outfit.  I mean, when you have a body like that...

qit5ehe.png

Then she readies herself to kill.

7z4Q6se.png

Damn straight, you better salute!

And... uh, I believe it's supposed to be "ma'am", not "sir".

Yet another weird translation error.  You'll just have to get used to it.  It's like how the fan translation of New Mystery would always go with "dame" instead of "madame" or "lady" whenever people formally addressed a woman.

Iv6LVhd.png

She cuts his stammering short.

She looks... somewhat happy, I suppose.  She seems to be in a lighter mood than we've ever seen her.

Then again, the times we've seen her, she was either being berated by her fellow generals for the failure of her forces...

40sEYdD.png

She definitely didn't look happy there...

or she was translating the writing on the wall...

8uzHvHQ.png

Probably kinda bored, to be honest...

or she was fighting...

GOFmOpa.png

very unhappy.

Could it be that Selvaria actually has a softer side than we've witnessed so far?

5HUZ6Xc.png

Honestly, it could have been so much worse.

Just ask poor Steiner from Final Fantasy IX.  Fun fact: I would always name Steiner "Rusty" so that when he's confronting the main characters in the beginning of the game, he goes "My name is not rusty, it's RUSTY!"

8Ik4B5F.png

Yeah...

A woman who can singlehandedly destroy an entire company of troops and tanks and stave off even the mighty Isara.

But hey, good for you.  Anything that keeps you happy, I suppose.

SMjPVdo.png

Ah, so you're heading up the offensive against Matt Damon's boys, is that it?

BJ2QSfa.png

Two hours?

Nah, around here, we run on Ertrick Time.  Which means that it'll probably happen next week.

2zKKeIx.png

Ol' Ghirlandaio...

It is probably the most crucial fortification in this conflict.  It is situated right along the border, and in times of peace important army generals call it home.  As we've seen, the Drei Stern later set up shop there, so I think it's safe to assume that these missions wind up being a huge success for the Imperials.

mKUtPYt.png

Though I guess not everyone in the Empire could call it a success in their own rights.

But... wait a minute.  Why do you just keep around one engineer?  Out of an entire fucking regiment (around 2-5 thousand troops), I mean.  I usually deploy at least two; one to repair the tank, and another to resupply my lancers and grenadiers.  Er, not the ones that will be showing up in VC4, though...  I just mean... you know...

ZZl7L0d.png

So that's why she asked for him.

He isn't special.  He just happens to be an engineer.

Lemme ask you folks watching at home...

Do you think he can compete with the likes of Karl the Immortal?

giphy.gifgiphy.gif

Because I don't think so.

Johann may be only one of, like, five engineers in the entire Imperial army, but there's no way he could possibly outclass this badassery.

4gZnUCc.pngqQHnmSe.png

2kehUX3.png

*Mumble* *Mumble* ... damn straight you were a liability... *Mumble* ... how many times did I have to kill the Mole for you to... *Mumble*

Huh?  Sorry, I got distracted.

CX7ENcC.png

Of course he was!

Nerd Marth is more useless than Corrin from FE Fates: Conquest.

WroBSi5.png

Do I see a reaction pic in this?

Yes I do.

I think he should be nicknamed "Johann the Mouse".

Squeak squeak, mother fucker!

SKCgvt7.png

Ellipses.

It wouldn't be a game from Japan without those, would it?

PjNSp7a.png

Again, Selvaria with an expression verging on a smile.

Is this meant to be a slight tease?  That's kinda mean, Bles.

hUF2imz.pngWXj1M4G.png

So you're saying that you're Susie 2.0?

He doesn't have any potentials that stop him from moving, actually.

9o5gjME.png

And she chose the compassionate response.

For someone who... well...

GOFmOpa.png

screamed this at her own allies, she's awfully understanding of someone who actually is cowardly.

Maybe all soldiers under her regiment are like this, and she's just addressing them accordingly.

"Come, loyal cowards of the Empire, as we seize the Gallian border and... hey, where are you all going?  Goddammit, not this shit again..."

BPdN2dw.png

That's what I whisper to myself when I'm sitting at home with just my dogs and cats.

L8KehAv.png

Yeah...  Not alone.

Shit, now I'm taking part in the parrot exposition.

nVqnJZN.png

Oh right...

You see, Selvaria actually can get hurt and die... when she doesn't have her Valkyrur powers activated.  And there are certain times she actually fights without using her powers.  So like anyone else, she needs ragnaid to keep her going.

But she doesn't carry ragnaid herself.  Not only that, but she doesn't carry grenades either.  This is where the engineer comes in; they don't serve as a facilitator for tanks so much as they do for Selvaria herself.  Nerd Marth's job is to keep Selvaria in fighting condition and to clear the path of potential roadblocks (such as blockades).

So when she says this, she actually does mean that he'll be keeping her safe...

At least from a story sense.  I'm pretty sure that I never actually used him to heal her with this mod installed... except for one time.  All he's good for is making sure there aren't any blockades keeping Selvaria from moving forward.

Ix1eTF7.png

But Selvaria believes in him...

At least if she actually follows her own advice.

bZu4vkH.pngQWsGfzO.png

How are you able to tell, Selvaria?  You can't even see his face.

I mean, unless he was... ahem... literally shaking.  Then I guess you'd clearly be able to tell if he's calmed down.

XykkcQa.png

Nerd Marth gives the old Oswald Salute, and we set off on our first mission...

next time.

Will Selvaria finally get her senpai Max-a-million Self-Esteem issues to notice her?

Will Otto be able to pass his commercial drivers test and get a CDL so that he can drive a bus tank?

Will Nerd Marth be able to reclaim Altea and defeat the Dark Dragon King of Dulhr Medeus before a certain Mole in a Trench and General Gorillaz claim his life?

Find out soon.

Yay, I made new profile pic, and it isn't an unpleasant grimace.

Spoiler

I personally found 'Boro's ANGERY face that I pulled from a Warriors scene kind of off-putting every time I looked at one of my posts on this site.

So I'm for some reason unable to edit my previous post, and I made a few minor mistakes.

First is the title format for the segment isn't what I wanted, so there's gonna be some inconsistency.  Secondly, I said that Johann's the only Imp trooper whose eyes you see, but I forgot about

H4fTjnT.png

this guy (which is inexcusable; how could I forget this icon who started Isara along on her journey of badassery?) and some other dude who shows up later (whose whole head gets exposed).  So basically, Johann really isn't all that special aside from the fact that he's voiced by the same guy as Marth and that he's plot essential.

Also, because I can, I want to see if I can re-record the rest of the DLC.  I really would like to be able to make gifs again, because all these still shots of combat are boring me, so I'm gonna attempt to record with different settings.  Possibly including a change in the window sizes so that I can fit them into a signature (and so that they possibly take a little less time to load on the page); basically, that would mean they revert back to the size you see above instead of the format I adopted for the last four chapters (yes, that's how far we've gotten into the game since I changed the format three months ago; four whole chapters).

So it goes without saying that the next part won't come until later.  Probably still later in the week, but... yeah, it'll be different.

So I wish you luck with the dlc, I have yet to experience it. Anyways I'm on chapter 18a in ng+, have A ranked everything so far (15b was super annoying) anyways I just got to A rank 18a and then skirmishes for the achievement. Any tips on how to handle the hard skirmishes (if you've attempted them before)? I tried one and immediately quit as it was too hard for me, but I know if I want the achievement I have to A rank them.

13 hours ago, LucarioGamer812 said:

So I wish you luck with the dlc, I have yet to experience it. Anyways I'm on chapter 18a in ng+, have A ranked everything so far (15b was super annoying) anyways I just got to A rank 18a and then skirmishes for the achievement. Any tips on how to handle the hard skirmishes (if you've attempted them before)? I tried one and immediately quit as it was too hard for me, but I know if I want the achievement I have to A rank them.

Those will require your best units at top form (obviously) and some planning.

Now that you've played through the game pretty much twice at this point, you probably have the skills and knowledge to take on the Hard mode skirmishes.

Don't let your first experience discourage you with any of them.  Just like with the hardest maps in the story, you're likely going to fail a few times before you get the hang of it.  A lot of the Hard mode skirmishes will require some unconventional methods.  Lemme walk you through the first one for A rank to give you an example.

• First move (2 CPs): Have the Edelweiss fire a smoke bomb right smack dab in the middle of the bridge to the southeast (or however you will need to have it so that it'll cover both the turrets and the front end of the tanks), then run over the enemy shocktrooper immediately north of your position in a way that they are closer together and aren't facing your infantry.  This needs to be done with only one movement of the Edelweiss if you want to be able to take out all leaders and tanks as well, but there may be some leeway if you're only shooting for A Rank.
  • Second move (1+ CP): Move a lancer across the smoked bridge - don't worry, nothing will attack them other than mines which obviously won't hurt them much - and then destroy one of the tanks in that area.
  • Third move (1+ CP): Bring a scout southeast as well to take out the shocktrooper that is sitting right within the enemy base camp there.
  • Fourth move (1+ CP): Use the lancer you brought over the bridge to take out the other tank and capture the camp.

The general idea is to take advantage of the weaknesses of the interceptors so that your units receive as little damage as possible, and to focus solely on the objective.  If you're doing multiple turn maps, then keep in mind how many hits the Edelweiss can receive from enemy fire and whether you'll need to repair it or not.  And really, it helps to simply remember that the Edelweiss is indestructible against interception fire, and that you have smoke bombs and orders to help give you a real edge.

I also recommend trying out Edy's skirmishes as well as Selvaria's DLC before taking on Hard or Expert mode.  Both will likely teach you valuable skills that will help you with these harder skirmishes, and I personally think they're a good bridge in difficulty between the story missions and the high difficulty skirmishes.  Not only that, but Selvaria's DLC will give you the tremendously useful Ruhm for your shocktroopers, which will give whoever wields it deadly precision.  Oh, and if you haven't yet, be sure to beat all the skirmishes on their normal difficulties (since you're aiming for 100%, I just assume you've A-Ranked these already).

Edited by Ertrick36

5 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

Those will require your best units at top form (obviously) and some planning.

Now that you've played through the game pretty much twice at this point, you probably have the skills and knowledge to take on the Hard mode skirmishes.

Don't let your first experience discourage you with any of them.  Just like with the hardest maps in the story, you're likely going to fail a few times before you get the hang of it.  A lot of the Hard mode skirmishes will require some unconventional methods.  Lemme walk you through the first one for A rank to give you an example.

• First move (2 CPs): Have the Edelweiss fire a smoke bomb right smack dab in the middle of the bridge to the southeast (or however you will need to have it so that it'll cover both the turrets and the front end of the tanks), then run over the enemy shocktrooper immediately north of your position in a way that they are closer together and aren't facing your infantry.  This needs to be done with only one movement of the Edelweiss if you want to be able to take out all leaders and tanks as well, but there may be some leeway if you're only shooting for A Rank.
  • Second move (1+ CP): Move a lancer across the smoked bridge - don't worry, nothing will attack them other than mines which obviously won't hurt them much - and then destroy one of the tanks in that area.
  • Third move (1+ CP): Bring a scout southeast as well to take out the shocktrooper that is sitting right within the enemy base camp there.
  • Fourth move (1+ CP): Use the lancer you brought over the bridge to take out the other tank and capture the camp.

The general idea is to take advantage of the weaknesses of the interceptors so that your units receive as little damage as possible, and to focus solely on the objective.  If you're doing multiple turn maps, then keep in mind how many hits the Edelweiss can receive from enemy fire and whether you'll need to repair it or not.  And really, it helps to simply remember that the Edelweiss is indestructible against interception fire, and that you have smoke bombs and orders to help give you a real edge.

I also recommend trying out Edy's skirmishes as well as Selvaria's DLC before taking on Hard or Expert mode.  Both will likely teach you valuable skills that will help you with these harder skirmishes, and I personally think they're a good bridge in difficulty between the story missions and the high difficulty skirmishes.  Not only that, but Selvaria's DLC will give you the tremendously useful Ruhm for your shocktroopers, which will give whoever wields it deadly precision.  Oh, and if you haven't yet, be sure to beat all the skirmishes on their normal difficulties (since you're aiming for 100%, I just assume you've A-Ranked these already).

I'll be A ranking some of the other skirmishes later. I'll attempt those challenges too and attempt the imperial dlc as well. I do have a strategy that works, just small little things interfere with it. Also for the achievement I read it's just Hard that matters out of it and expert

Spoiler

So I deploy the Edelweiss, Shamrock with flamethrower, Alicia, Rosie, Largo, and Elysse. Edelweiss backs up and fires a smoke at the north central shocktrooper, then moves in front of the left tank destroyer. The Shamrock goes and turns around and then uses a flamethrower on one of the defending shocktroopers, this also eliminates the gatling guns, I use him again and target between the two remaining shocktroopers which kills them both, I then have him drive back in that same movement. I then have Elysse go and she one shots both of the tanks with two cp. Alicia then goes and aims at the shocktrooper ace head and kills him. Now she goes and seize the base, what stops me is when she goes to seize the base, since there is sandbags that are not destroyed, Alicia has to jump over them, but due to the shocktrooper bodies randomly sprawling out, the area where there isn't an anti-infantry mine is blocked by the body, so she has to go step on the first mine, which she barely lives being level 20, and then I had her hug the left wall of the bridge which apparently sets of a mine behind the second row of sandbags despite there being room for a unit to run in between the wall and the mine. So on my next attempt I'll have Alicia step on the first mine and then hop over the sandbags on the opposite side of the second mine, that should allow her to capture the base and complete this in one turn. Rosie and Largo do nothing except provide cp and maybe a human wall defending Alicia and Elysse before the smoke stops the interception fire from the three shocktroopers.

Sorry for double posting, but update on my end, already beat ng+ with everything in the campaign A ranked. Got two of the final achievements left, those being wings of solidarity and excellence in armament. All that's left is splintered horn and the randgriz crest of honor. Going to work on that one next. I did manage to beat skirmish 1 on hard with an A rank as well. Basically my lancer had eough movement to capture the base in one less movement then with Alicia. So yeah, all that's really left for me is the hard stuff now.

On 12/7/2017 at 8:04 PM, LucarioGamer812 said:

Sorry for double posting, but update on my end, already beat ng+ with everything in the campaign A ranked. Got two of the final achievements left, those being wings of solidarity and excellence in armament. All that's left is splintered horn and the randgriz crest of honor. Going to work on that one next. I did manage to beat skirmish 1 on hard with an A rank as well. Basically my lancer had eough movement to capture the base in one less movement then with Alicia. So yeah, all that's really left for me is the hard stuff now.

I don't know if mods will hound you (probably not, since I have to figure they rely more on the reporting system on this board than anywhere else on the site), but I honestly don't care if you double post as long as you don't post spammy crap.  I'd take someone triple posting three different long-winding tangents over a single two-word post any day.  The former actually contributes something to the thread - even if it might be difficult to read and it needlessly bumps the thread - whereas the latter is totally pointless, contributes nothing to the discussion, and honestly is a little irritating.

To be honest with you, I've never actually taken on the Hard mode skirmishes.  I think I do recall beating the first one, but that's about it.  I opted to just go straight for this mod instead.  I may or may not decide to challenge the Hard mode skirmishes in this LP after the end.  I think what'll really determine if I do this or not is if VC4 releases before or right as I beat the main story for this game.  I guess it'll also depend on if folks would rather see me play VC3 first.

In any event, you've only got... what, eight more levels to go?  And then you'll sacrifice Susie for a bountiful harvest post-war?  Looks like you've got plenty left to do.

Sorry for delaying, but I kind of honestly been intentionally lagging 'cuz activity in general has slowed down a lot due to the holidays.  I figure that folks are really busy right now, so I don't want to wind up feeding those who are following the LP too much to swallow, and I also don't want to just post parts only to get no reactions.

I think I want to wait until schools are done for the year before I really pick things back up.  I'll probably still put out parts, but not at the same frequency as usual.

There's no new part here, by the way...  But know that I will be working on recording stuff.  I can't record too much, though, because that crap takes up space on my hard drive.

Spoiler

So for now, enjoy this artwork of  T H I C C  Kai Schulen from VC4 with a little black pussy cat.

Spoiler

TAr8Tky.png

This pic made me finally realize why her hat was designed that way, and I honestly feel kind of dumb for not realizing it earlier.

And yes, there are other artworks like this for the other characters... though it's all exclusively ladies.

7 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

I don't know if mods will hound you (probably not, since I have to figure they rely more on the reporting system on this board than anywhere else on the site), but I honestly don't care if you double post as long as you don't post spammy crap.  I'd take someone triple posting three different long-winding tangents over a single two-word post any day.  The former actually contributes something to the thread - even if it might be difficult to read and it needlessly bumps the thread - whereas the latter is totally pointless, contributes nothing to the discussion, and honestly is a little irritating.

To be honest with you, I've never actually taken on the Hard mode skirmishes.  I think I do recall beating the first one, but that's about it.  I opted to just go straight for this mod instead.  I may or may not decide to challenge the Hard mode skirmishes in this LP after the end.  I think what'll really determine if I do this or not is if VC4 releases before or right as I beat the main story for this game.  I guess it'll also depend on if folks would rather see me play VC3 first.

In any event, you've only got... what, eight more levels to go?  And then you'll sacrifice Susie for a bountiful harvest post-war?  Looks like you've got plenty left to do.

Sorry for delaying, but I kind of honestly been intentionally lagging 'cuz activity in general has slowed down a lot due to the holidays.  I figure that folks are really busy right now, so I don't want to wind up feeding those who are following the LP too much to swallow, and I also don't want to just post parts only to get no reactions.

I think I want to wait until schools are done for the year before I really pick things back up.  I'll probably still put out parts, but not at the same frequency as usual.

There's no new part here, by the way...  But know that I will be working on recording stuff.  I can't record too much, though, because that crap takes up space on my hard drive.

Reveal hidden contents

So for now, enjoy this artwork of  T H I C C  Kai Schulen from VC4 with a little black pussy cat.

Reveal hidden contents

TAr8Tky.png

This pic made me finally realize why her hat was designed that way, and I honestly feel kind of dumb for not realizing it earlier.

And yes, there are other artworks like this for the other characters... though it's all exclusively ladies.

Yeah, 8ish hard levels left plus I haven't done some of the normal skirmishes either (to be fair when I needed cash/exp I just had Alicia scout rush Barious since you get 40k cash and 20k exp in roughly two minutes. I will probably playthrough my third time of the game just to get my main squad back. Susie has been killed, but in an alternate pocket dimension where nothing will proceed. I did also try the Selvaria dlc and beat the first level, though I was mostly trying to push back the endless wave of scouts and shocktroopers that were spawning (one of them threw a grenade that immobilized my tank making it into a turret) and for some reason the enemy likes evading more then usual. Anyways I'll probably beat that soon (maybe A ranking all of it too) and then move on to the Edy challenge maps.

I agree that most folks are busy too, I myself have two of my last finals today. Afterwards I got one more then I will be trying to clear out my backlog (between Bravely Default and Xenoblade Chronicles at the moment) But I still like seeing this letsplay progress so always looking forward to it on my end.

I forgot that's how the artist draws the characters. Anyways looks like we have a new Marina (Sniper, likes cats instead of wolfs) and I am ready for VC4 because I honestly think it'll be a while before I can play VC3

I hope you don't mind this post. I discovered this thread today through your signature. Just wanted to say I'm looking forward to catching up on this in my spare time (hopefully before you resume pace after the holidays).

So if you've been wondering where I was...

DIRD3KM.png

I've been trapped in the Void with ol Welkin here.

This seriously happened to me one time while playing the game.  I have no idea how.

As I said before, I've been lagging a bit.  I'd like to thank @lyscalibur and @Cheetar for tuning into the LP; welcome, and I hope you enjoy my slow descent into madness and generally bad sense of humor.  Both were a result of all the jokes and pranks my father laid before me.  I guess that means you could consider all my jokes "dad jokes".

I think I can guarantee at least two more parts this month; one either today or tomorrow and one around Christmas time.  They will be focused on Selvaria's DLC.  I think I may have figured out a way to be able to create gifs again, so look forward to that.

Also, because they don't really impact my progression too much if I don't abuse them, I'll probably now start sprinkling a Skirmish here or there so that folks can see what each one is like and so that they can have something extra to check out while I'm cranking out the main parts.  These parts won't be quite as long as regular parts, I don't think...  Though after the Edy Detachment (which will be post Ch 11), I certainly will at least attempt to insert Edy skirmishes... somewhere.

31 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

DIRD3KM.png

This seriously happened to me one time while playing the game.  I have no idea how.

As I said before, I've been lagging a bit.  I'd like to thank @lyscalibur and @Cheetar for tuning into the LP; welcome, and I hope you enjoy my slow descent into madness and generally bad sense of humor.  Both were a result of all the jokes and pranks my father laid before me.  I guess that means you could consider all my jokes "dad jokes".

I think I can guarantee at least two more parts this month; one either today or tomorrow and one around Christmas time.  They will be focused on Selvaria's DLC.  I think I may have figured out a way to be able to create gifs again, so look forward to that.

Also, because they don't really impact my progression too much if I don't abuse them, I'll probably now start sprinkling a Skirmish here or there so that folks can see what each one is like and so that they can have something extra to check out while I'm cranking out the main parts.  These parts won't be quite as long as regular parts, I don't think...  Though after the Edy Detachment (which will be post Ch 11), I certainly will at least attempt to insert Edy skirmishes... somewhere.

Uh-huh. That is interesting, I'm guessing something with the pc version and the mod but I'm no expert.

Dad jokes lol, I honestly find them funny most of the time, but I may have an obscure sense of humor so take it as a grain of salt.

Skirmishes would be neat, at least I think the harder ones since they are so unique and challenging (and with the mod I'm actually scared for you)

Good luck on the Edy detachment, took me a while and I was in the normal game. I've played through three of the edy detachment skirmishes, A ranked the scout and sniper, and B ranked the lancer

Spoiler

To be fair, I really did only have one lancer (Elysse since she one shots almost every tank I've come across) and though I took out several tanks turn 1, I was not expecting the infantry reinforcements so I had to defend with what I had while cutting off enemy reinforcements until shocktroopers could be deployed (redeployed in Rosie's case since she got KOed) while Lynn was Lynn and absolutely murdered the enemies on her side, the enemy ace took so much work though, took multiple grenades, and then basically I wasted 6 cp having Jane and Edy flamethrower him until he died. An 800 health sniper is absurd, and he didn't kill anyone cause his AI was focus on capturing the north camp Alicia took, and the evasion got really annoying.

Anyways more good luck on the lp and just wanted to say this has been really enjoyable and keep up the great work.

15 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

DIRD3KM.png

Lol. The first time my brother played the game he got Alicia stuck in the void on that exact level.

Just coming in to let you guys know that...

recording software is a pain in the ass sometimes.

And with that said, I'm essentially starting to re-record the first DLC segment.  It will come out in 528x297 resolution.  I know, that's a really strange resolution, but it's as big as I can make it while still being able to fit it into a signature.

uC69AIE.png

It's literally only 16x9 pixels larger than the one I originally used (512x288).  I know this crap isn't all that interesting, but I just want folks to know what's going down.  Probably won't be able to read numbers well, but the numbers aren't the most critical thing to be able to understand what's going on.

And here be thar new part to ye playthrough...

after hassling with programs for, like, fifteen minutes.

hxgcHFX.png

Let's hope I won't have to hassle anymore, shall we?

BHBF Part 1-2: Dodging, I'm Good At! (Gameplay)

Spoiler

4C5RnLW.png

So mission control for Selvaria's forces is... well, Selvaria herself.

Obviously.

jE6CKXJ.png

So we're fighting on a wall?

Shit, you know what that means?

Time to boot up a modern classic.

And also meme really hard.

Let's discuss the plan to defend Hoshido fro- I mean, to slaughter the Gallians.

xvb5ky7.pngZC81s11.pngpYvvYWW.png

So here's the deal.

Literally the only people we have taking the eastern flank are Selvaria and Nerd Marth; everyone else will be busy in the western flank, trying to take down the Gallian commander.  Taking them out isn't necessary to succeed the mission, but if you want to get an alternate second mission (and if you want to 100% the DLC), then you'll want to take them out before they leave.

In fact, in order to get the final hidden mission, you need to do it both ways; you need to beat this mission by taking out the commander and by taking the base without taking out the commander, and you have to get A ranks in both second missions.  I'm only doing this one way, because both versions of the second mission are pretty much the same except with some different gimmicks; the story remains the exact same, except the reason the commander is angry at the Imps is slightly different.  And that way, you can have something to look forward to with this DLC if you've never played it.

Anyway, Selvaria and Nerd Marth have the longest distance to trek, and they need to go all the way, as they're the only ones that can capture the objective due to obstacles blocking our other allies from getting there.

EjtAK1B.png

Normally, this would be an actual concern without the mod.

But now it's a very simple matter to just charge in and pillage the ever loving shit out of their base camps.

5VbEmhT.png

Like I said, Selvaria and Johann will take this flank.  And you need to use both for certain reasons:

IeAzosL.png0Xd33v4.png

You see, I can use Selvaria, but she won't be using her Valkyrur form.

She operates like a scout armed with a machine gun.  She can go slightly further than Johann, and the idea is that you want to alternate between the two.  Originally, you'd want to use Johann to heal her up while also clearing the path of obstacles, and you'd use Selvaria to take care of any enemies in your way.  Because of the buffs, and because you get an extremely cheap order with the mod, all you need to use Johann for is lobbing grenades at blockades.  And yes, that is necessary, as some will just straight up block your progress.

Even without her powers, Selvaria's still very resilient.  She can take lots of punishment, and as long as they don't duck, any attacks she makes against the enemy are one-shot kills, effectively.  Johann... well, while he's tougher than he was in his original incarnation, he's still pretty damn feeble.

Gio02kY.png

Conditions, as per usual.

The biggest concern is Johann dying.  Though because I intend to defeat the commander and get an A rank (you know, to simulate me earning the Rhum, I guess), my turn limit will actually be three turns.  That might seem totally insane, but that's because you have yet to see just how OP Selvaria is... and why she's worth more than all the troops in the western front combined regardless of her state.

So you may be asking yourself... who the hell can I take along for this mission?  Well...

hY2xwP3.png

We get a whole bunch of generic Imperials, but...

1tMHkQp.png

They all have their own personal potentials, as well as a battle potential!

Even Selvaria has potentials, but I'll show them later.

Also, some of these guys are actually units you come across in the original game.  Like here, you can see "Ty".  That is, Ty the Immortal, an Imperial Ace that actually shows up three times throughout the game.  He must be immortal if he's been in Gallia since the initial invasion and continues fighting right until the bitter end (literally, until pretty much the end of the game).

hcNJNfb.png

Here's a familiar face!  Or helmet, I guess...

You guys remember this asshole?  Malya the Dust?  I had to throw three fuckin' grenades at him with Homer because he kept ducking.  I gave him a story and everything.

Apparently, he's just like Welks... and by that I mean he's going to look at fucking explosions and concrete and go "Aaaahhh... gotta love nature!" because he has the Nature Lover potential like Welkin does.  I guess he got a bad case of scope eye... the kick of the scope knocked him the fuck out, gave him a concussion, and so now he thinks everything is nature.  Great.

I could sit here all day and give these guys stories...  And you know what, I goddamn will - at least for the guys I'll use - because it'd be boring if I just followed along with the story without spicing things up a little.

But I'll do it in the spoiler below just because.

Spoiler

1tMHkQp.png

So of course, we've got Johann's old preschool friend, Otto... uh, he's just "Otto".  He has no surname or anything like that... and you know what, there's actually a reason for that!

You see, Otto is a Darcsen, though he would always hide it by wearing the same kind of helmet that Imperial troops wore before he even joined.  Thankfully, he also had a condition where he needed to cover his head, so he had a legitimate excuse to wear it.  Johann is the only one who knows that he's a Darcsen, and thus Johann knows better how to deal with Darcsens than most in the Imperial Army.

His father was a bus driver, and Otto took after him.  However, after running down on his luck, not making enough money to properly care for his father and sister, he decided to aim for a bigger paycheck and better benefits by joining the military.  Since he was already a pretty wild guy, he took naturally to the role of shocktrooper, and can always be found "doing his shocktrooper thing" even outside of combat.

Since he was a bus driver before, he hates sticking around in one place, which is why he has the Shut-In potential, which confers defense debuffs whenever he's sitting around in a camp.  Countless close calls in the bus driving business - particularly in the winter time, when there are slick roads and asshole holiday shoppers rushing to the mall to get the latest cheapest radio sets - gave him a Fearless Will, which gives him offense and defense buffs whenever facing interception fire.  And due to Johann's kindness, he became a Loyal Teammate, giving him buffs to his abilities when nearby any allies.

hcNJNfb.png

I've told you about Malya the Dust, but lemme refresh your memory real quick in case you forgot.

Once a typical ranch hand, the Empire razed his farm and killed his entire family.  At the feeble age of eight, he turned to a life of crime, plundering farmers' live stocks and cattle rustling.  He crossed everyone; Gallians, Feds, the Empire.  He was a merc for hire.

Then one day, Lord Maximilian noticed his tenacity and had his troops capture Malya.  But unlike most criminals, he was not executed for his crimes.  Instead, Maximilian gave this merc a place in his army, currently serving directly under General Bles.

He was also once a friends with Homer Peron, and sympathized with his situation as the abused brother of Leila Peron (who actually appears in VC3).  Though because he stressed himself out with the problems of other people, he always feels Under Pressure, so whenever he's handed too much responsibility (he uses up the last CP), his hands shake violently out of control, causing a drop in accuracy.

As a former ranch hand, he developed a Love of Nature, giving him all around boosts in places he deems natural (which, as I said, is pretty much everywhere because he's as addle-minded as Welks is.  And because of his reckless mercenary work, he developed a Fearless Will.

u7PNkoo.png

Next is, of course, Ty the Immortal.  Believed to be a distant relative of Lynn by some Gallians, though Lynn will not say.

Regardless of relations, he is truly a force to be reckoned with, slaughtering thousands who would dare face him.  Once a member of the Imperial Outreach Program - a program not unlike a missionary or Peace Corps - he worked in Third World nations to show them the kinder side of the Empire by providing shelter, food, and general relief to the downtrodden.  Then one day, the Atlantic Federation launched a mortar strike on the embassy he was housed in, and he was thought to have perished along with it.

Key leaders of the Federation on that front started mysteriously dying.  It was when Nora - a shocktrooper at the time - was facing down the last leader that it was uncovered that Ty was responsible for the other leaders' deaths.  Nora took Ty in.  At the time, Ty was shell-shocked from the slaughter he committed.  He initially had a lust for revenge against the Federation for attacking innocent civilians.  But killing them personally made him realize that they were every bit as human as the people he worked with.  Currently on meds, Ty still sometimes struggles with the trauma of those events.

A natural Born Leader who always led other IOP members in relief efforts, he takes charge of the situation (much like he did with the Federation executions), giving him stat boosts when he charges in alone.  Though the trauma still haunts his Humanitarian heart, occasionally making him second-guess his ill-actions against others and end the turn immediately.  Being a right Neutralizing terror, he'll sometimes cause the enemies to be too terrified to shoot back at him.

LZyyvqm.png

Changing gears, we have Tank Commander Jackal.

Growing up in the bitter colds, Jackal grew familiar with the icy tundra that covered much of the Empire further to the east.  Living near a major city, he occasionally would sneak onto the military grounds there and watch the tank drills.  One night, he got a tank driver drunk, stole his keys, and duped his city friend Seguler into taking the tank for a spin.  Unfortunately, they crashed into the wall, and while Jackal escaped without a hitch, a giant rock fell on top of the tank's hatch, trapping Seguler until authorities found and rescued him.  Seguler was fined and was forced into military service (though disallowed from driving tanks), while Jackal got off scott free.

As soon as he became eighteen, he signed up to join the military, much to Seguler's dismay.  And Jackal's career path was obvious; he would pursue the life of a tank commander.  And so his long service began; he now operates a Medium Tank, and is quite pleased to serve General Bles's Regiment.

NF2ij4S.png

Onto Jackal's friend, Seguler the Wall.

His nickname was mostly due to his unfortunate accident with Jackal, though his service in the military made it more of a point of pride.  Before his service, he was just an average delinquent, sometimes even an outright bully.  Though he had very thin skin; whenever girls teased him, he would cry and run into the bathroom, his head shaking in his hands.  But when he wasn't being belittled by girls, he was pushing other boys around, and even joined the local rugby team.

He found a friend in his fellow delinquent Jackal, though as detailed above, their exploits caused misfortune for him, and he was sent to military school, where he learned discipline and respect.  His drill instructor called him "Seguler the Wall" to mock the fact that he crashed a tank into a wall.  However, it was found that he was quite the Camp Defender, being able to take a lot of punishment when asked to defend anything from a storage room to a stick, and so his nickname took on a more prideful meaning as he went on to serve in the official military upon turning eighteen.

Unfortunately, boot camp wasn't enough to remove his delinquent attitude or thin skin, so he became Cocky; up until he bites a bullet (loses some HP), he will maintain a accuracy and evasion penalty.  However, due to his love for rugby, he's become quite the Power Scout; when he sees five or more foes ready to attack him, he gets fired up, and thus receives buffs in evasion and attack power.

tuXC9dT.png

And then there's Nora the Tigress, who I'm just assuming is a girl from that name.

Nora has a tendency to get crushes on cute girls, but because homosexuality is frowned upon in the town she grew up in, she felt ostracized and thus almost seldom interacted with other people.  As such, when she eventually joined the military, it was first as a sniper.  Cases of her fraternizing with another woman in her sniper squad led to her then having her class changed to a shocktrooper.

She was charged with the protection of an embassy that housed IOP members.  It eventually came under attack from Federation grenadiers, and Nora fought back.  As she had sniper training before, she was quite skilled with long-range combat.  However, she had to borrow one of her fallen comrades weapons, which happened to be a lancaar.  Though untrained in the use of such weapons, she still managed to take out enough of the grenadiers to force a retreat, but was unfortunately left with a ruined embassy.

As punishment for her failure, she was then tasked with taking down all the Federation officers responsible for the attack - a task which she was sure she'd fail and end up either getting killed by Feds or executed by her own countrymen.  However, she found an unlikely guardian angel in Ty, the vengeful IOP missionary who made it his mission to eliminate the very same Federation officers she was tasked to kill.  Together, they took down the last officer, and were rewarded for their troubles with reassignment to Selvaria's personal guard.

Since she Fancies Women, she finds great joy in serving alongside General Bles, making her want to show off her pinpoint accuracy when in her immediate presence.  Though since she's an Outcast for her forbidden feelings as a youth and subsequent troubles with members of her same class, she is sketchy around other lancers, gaining debuffs all around.  Because of her sniper training, she's unusually accurate for a lancer, and thus she proves her worth with some Backup Sniping, enjoying permanent pinpoint accuracy.

knsySQi.png

The other lancer in our group is ol' Yosnoa the Hound.

An old factory worker, Yosnoa is no stranger to unsafe working conditions, for better or worse.  He has witnessed countless workplace accidents that have injured coworkers and sometimes even taken lives.  Learning from others' mistakes, he sought to make sure he always kept his head down and cautiously work the machines that brought so much pain to others.

Though one unfortunate day, he kicked off a cigarette butt into some plywood that was doused with flammable oil, quickly setting the whole factory he worked at on fire.  Even if he was no firefighter, he nevertheless had the knowledge and skills needed to safely make his way out of the fire, though the choking grasp of smoke on his lungs and the unsettling feeling he had from navigating tight, hot corridors were things that would haunt him for the rest of his life.

That fire then led to his friends applauding his bravery and heroism in navigating himself out of such a dangerous situation.  Some had even suggested he put that bravery to good use by re-enlisting in the military, something he only did in the last Europan War.  Having nowhere else to go on account of his workplace being nothing more than a pile of rubble, he joined up with the Imperial Army and proved his worth there.  His work with big machinery earned him the class of lancer.

His days of working in the factory made him quite the Metal Head, making his attack power increase whenever he's nearby metalworks.  Navigating through the tight corridors and hot fires also made him Claustrophobic, decreasing his attack power in trenches and the like, but it also made him quite adept with Undercover Fire, giving him an attack boost when using cover.

Lysj12C.png

Of course, I have to cover Johann Oswald Eisen, the man who is essentially the protagonist of this DLC.

Being of a peaceful demeanor, Johann befriended the Darcsen Otto at a very young age.  Because of his knowledge of how Darcsens behave, his military experience has been mostly tainted with service guarding Darcsen work camps.  However, he prefers these locations as he typically is never asked to actually fight.  He also worked towards becoming an engineer so that he could possibly ensure he'd never see the frontlines.

Then one fateful day, while he was being transferred between Fouzen and Kloden, he received word from his old friend Otto that Selvaria took his unit under her command and requested his personal audience.  It was then his life would change forever, and would eventually lead to him forming his own legend as Oswald the Iron.  But I'm getting ahead of myself with this description.

Johann is a born Coward, never wanting conflict, so when he's thrusted into enemy firing lines, his hands start to shake and he loses accuracy.  Due to his conflicting life of befriending a Darcsen while subsequently subjugating them as a Darcsen work camp guard, he became a generally Indecisive person, making multiple enemies too much to handle; this also incurs an accuracy penalty.

The last potential was actually different in the original game; it was ultimate evade, I think.  Why?  Because he has a catchphrase, which I'll tell you about later on.  For now, he just has Ultimate Defense... just because busards felt like giving him it.  I won't attribute a story to that because it wasn't in the original game and, quite frankly, I can't think of a way to work it into what I've already established with this guy.

xR9rPyc.png

And then we have Selvaria Bles herself.

One of the only known members of the Valkyria race, Selvaria is a Brigadier General at the ripe young age of 22.  Before then, she was raised in a research facility before being taken in by Lord Maximilian.  She swore undying fealty to Maximilian the day he took her away from that facility, and fights fiercely for him.  She thinks little of the Gallian forces, but shows an open mind for their potential, recognizing that if their will is strong enough they could possibly topple the very army she fights for.

As a Born Leader, it was only natural for Selvaria to reach her high ranking position at such a young age.  And with skill in two entirely different weapons (her lance and the gun she wields in this DLC), she has learned to hone in on her foes, giving her a permanent Accuracy Boost.  Unfortunately, as their radiators likely remind her of the facility she was raised in, she is a bonifide Tank Hater, which incurs a decrease in attack power whenever she's near one.

So...

b451Zdp.png

In case you didn't read anything out of the spoiler/couldn't keep track, I will be deploying the following units along the western flank:

• Seguler the Wall
  • Otto
  • Ty the Immortal
  • Yosnoa the Hound
  • Nora the Tigress
  • Malya the Dust

Selvaria Bles, Johann Oswald Eisen, and Jackal (the tank to the west) are mandatory deployments.

prjw5Ek.png

Without further ado, let's get started with this thrilling slaughter of the foolish Gallians.

g5xDwyn.png

Oh but wait, you know how these things go...

There's gotta be some dialogue first!

Though wait... General Damon?  You can't mean...

sCmPgzY.png

hxgcHFX.png

Great... I have to deal with this asshole...

Wait a minute...

I get to deal with this asshole?!

Like, I get to humiliate him by beating him horribly in a fair match of military skill and strategizing?

ea87F2b.png

You have no idea how happy this makes me.  Finally, I don't have to let this idiot push me around; I get to show him just how much of a whiny loser he is!

Alright, mother fucker, I'm about to make you regret the day you made me feel insignificant.

N7YisS1.png

Really now?

Has it ever faced a giant tank?  Or a murderous albino woman?  Or Ty the mother fucking Immortal?

I don't think you understand the threat that lays before your doorstep.

V6RsY3w.png

Selvaria...  No, please.  Don't tempt me.  I can't be... making... any more... of these... ggggrrrrraaaaaa!

LfPIp9v.png

YOU WERE MY BROTHER, DAMON!  I LOVED YOU...

I would love to stop making Prequel memes... I really would.  But this game tempts me at every corner.

That being said, this couldn't possibly have had better timing, what with the new Star Wars movie having just recently been released in theaters to the general public.

Speaking of... no spoilers, goddammit.

BTiXuhV.png

Right, so this wasn't a setup for a meme so much as it was Selvaria essentially establishing that Damon is literally as bad a tactician as one might imagine a General who was handed the position due to having friends in high places would be.

In other words, Matt Damon is really stupid at war.

mret77L.png

Yeah, you'll carve it like a friggin' Jack 'o Lantern on Hallow's Eve.

Seriously, she cuts through enemies like butter.  I'll show you in due time.

0nn1Mwz.png

Something I've explained before...

7MrfwyU.png

And then Johann asks the question I so deliberately avoided asking myself.

Why?

qYhied1.png

You better have a better reason than that, Selvaria.  You not carrying Ragnaid makes you something of a liability, even if you're super fucking powerful.

I'm sorry, I'm not showing due respect for such a distinguished member of the Imperial Army.  I'll try better.

CFF6ciH.png

Alright, so I don't think this was actually explained in length beforehand, but since I forgot when exactly this is ever explained in the main story, I'll... say as much as I can about it without revealing some crucial plot points.

Selvaria was raised in a research facility, where they performed brutal experiments on her in order to draw out and study her latent Valkyrur powers.  She is actually one of likely several subjected to this kind of treatment, due to the Empire's general interest in amassing as much power as they can.  Eventually, Maximilian came to her facility and took her away from it.  She sees this as him saving her, and thus feels particularly fond of and loyal to him.

yE1ZSVi.png

And at this point, a weird glitch happened where the portrait of the character who isn't talking doesn't darken.  I think it was a result of me alt-tabbing/shift-tabbing a bunch.

Anyway, Johann... ellipsised, and this is how Selvaria responded.

Honestly, from what I can infer from your general disdain of that facility, I don't think it's much of a surprise that you'd be spiteful of glowing blue lights.  In fact, I don't know if there's a single Valkyrur in the series who actually enjoys being a Valkyrur.

MItreNf.png

It looks like he got startled by a bug on the ground.

I want to pretend he did so that he can be the polar opposite of Welkin.

o1YZ4MJ.png

So that's why the Valkyrur glow blue?

Huh.  I guess that makes sense, given that they essentially made their architecture out of the stuff.  It seems their lives essentially revolve around this omni-useful material.

ZK5o8y7.png

Aw, at least the spirit of Christmas lives on in him.

You ever got a friggin' gun for Christmas?  I'm sure some in my family have.

I, too, would cherish a fucking sniper machine gun if I got one on Christmas.  I'd use it on anyone who would dare talk shit about 'Boro or Isara.

Spoiler

As per threatening joke, I must express that I would never go out and attack someone for saying bad things about fictional characters.

I'm actually serious when I make these disclaimers; I don't know if there won't be some sensitive bastard who will take it too literally and get me in trouble.

35EPoMK.png

And thus, we know why Johann will be important...

There's just one problem with that, and I'll point it out as soon as I get into actual gameplay.

Q2m3o35.png

Mizz Bles... listen...

I don't think there will be anything left of them to "fall" when you're through with them.  They'll just be a pair of legs that flop down.

Plus, not all of them are standing either.

Ironic that I'm taking everything she says literally after just bitching about people being sensitive and taking things too literally.

lR0cppJ.png

Wow, Nerd Marth's actually growing some balls.  I think I just heard unwavering confidence in that "Yes, sir!" of his.

9InlZlJ.png

To quote busards in his fifth bullet point regarding the changes to the DLC: "All Gallians shall die!"

Yes, seriously, it says that.

SKxVtLT.pngQwZFvVI.png

So here's a thing that's actually kind of cool that they did.

They changed things so that red actually represents us and blue represents the enemy.  They could've just left it as blue for good guys and red for bad guys, but they went that extra mile and made it actually consistent.

I think that's pretty damn neat.

Anyway, onto the tactics.

VN0E8Se.pngC7EBttl.png

The gauntlet that Selvaria and Johann have to go through starts out initially with a lancer and sniper team, and then we wind up coming across the occasional shocktrooper here and there.  The shocktroopers prove to be little more than an annoying itch for Selvaria, while they're pretty much guaranteed death for Johann.  The general idea is that we want to send Selvaria first to clear the way of intercepting enemies, and then have Johann come along to throw grenades at blockades which, on the map, are marked by the shadowy "X" marks you see dotted about everywhere, though some are indestructible including the ones between Johann and the tank.

The goal is to the south where that Gallian tank is (not the one to the east, but the one that's sitting close to those train tracks).  Only Johann and Selvaria can reach it within three turns, and even they would be cutting it close if you also want to defeat Damon in the same stroke.  It's a simple matter to move Selvaria around, but she'll eventually come upon blockades she can't bypass herself; this is why you need to use Johann.  He has grenades that can destroy these blockades.  And because Selvaria is so much more powerful now, and because of certain orders, she will not need Johann's help at all to stay alive, so Johann will pretty much just be lobbing grenades and occasionally shooting dudes.

AGfWubu.png

The western flank is covered with several enemy camps, a sneaky sniper hiding behind a box, a couple of tanks, shocktroopers, scouts, and a pain-in-the-ass gatling gun.

One of the main problems with this side is that the Gallian forces will keep requesting reinforcements at every camp they've got here, so if you don't take them within two turns, you might get swarmed.  The general idea is to have your troops hunker down and defend the camp, but even in the base game you could push forward if you were cunning enough.  Now with the mod installed, it'll be a piece of cake.

10JzJIQ.pngPIwuZjl.png

A couple more things to note about Selvaria, because she really is quite unique.

First of all, 1000 HP and 1000 AP is... well, it's really powerful.  Scouts aren't typically known for their durability, but Selvaria's obviously an exception to that rule.  She is probably the toughest scout in the game at all.  Plus, that AP is effectively the AP of an Elite Scout; hell, it might be even more than that because Selvaria's just generally designed to be this ridiculously OP unit.

Secondly, that fucking gun.  Its reticle is literally just a dot.  And it's a machine gun, which means it fires 20 shots.  Also, look at the range and power...  That might not seem like much until you realize that the stats for our current machine guns in terms of range, vs Pers, and vs Armor respectively are 200, 27, and 50.  Listen, anything that tries to engage the murderer who wields this weapon is dead.  D-E-A-D.  Doesn't matter the range nor how tough they are...  They are, for all intents and purposes, Swiss cheese.  This along with Selvaria's naturally OP stats make her practically invincible.

Lastly, observe those orders.  Obviously she has orders since she's a General and is also one of the leaders of the Drei Stern.  They seem simple, right?  There aren't even that many of them.  Well, here's the thing about 'em...  They all only cost a single CP.  That's right, defensive stance is effectively redundant because you can use "All Units Defend" at the same cost.  Not only that, but "All Heal" seems to heal most, if not all, of your allies' HP... including Selvaria's.  So not only is Selvaria not likely to receive much damage, but she can use an order to heal herself if need be, effectively rendering one of Johann's primary roles moot.

So yes.  Selvaria's pretty much a one-woman army, even without her Valkyrur powers.  One gun to rule them all, and the high ground to sweeten the deal even further.

Let's get this started.

Feel free to boot up A Dark Fall now... although I'll admit, the music in the base game is fine, too.

3IGOXTV.png

My first order of business is to use ol' Dusty here.

You see...

giphy.gif

There's a bit of a pest problem on the rooftops.

Yes, that's right, baby.  Gifs are back!

2VnewCy.png

And then I'll place him right about here.

Why here?

Because...  It gives him an advantage over the battlefield?

Really, it's just so that he's right out of range from the one scout to the east.  I have ol' Ty keeping an eye on him so that he doesn't try anything.

njuMLyR.png

Next, let's finally have our good pal Otto do his shocktrooper thing...

SeLf1P0.png

By forcing him to charge right at an enemy shocktrooper while only losing only about a sixth or eighth of his health.

Yeah, the Imps are extremely OP.

giphy.gif

Fuckin' BODIED!

Busards, can I please get more of this and less of Chapter 6?  Thanks.

SgJvsgf.png

Hello, asshole sniper.

You and your other buddy are going to die.

1ASOGEU.png

And I'll just plop the old Darcsen bus driver down right here.

He'll have a nice chat with this friendly Gallian about how much of an asshole Damon is.

0wsUaOa.png

Next we'll bring up this gal (yes, I said gal; if you're confused, then you are one of the people who didn't read the biographies I gave these people) to snipe some tanks.

And when I say "snipe some tanks"...

QbSA0Py.png

I damn well mean snipe some tanks.

Look at this unbelievable bullshit.

I think busards was on crack when he worked on this portion of the mod.

giphy.gif

So the tank dies in one shot...

And so does General Damon's bowel control right now, probably.

B0HC8yl.png

So then I move Nora a little further onward.

EbLya4D.png

After that, I decide to employ the non-sniper lancer to...

try to snipe the Gallian tank all the way over there.

Why didn't I swap these guys' roles?

Because...

y0gZ6pr.png

I'm dumb.

giphy.gif

hxgcHFX.png

You know I have no one but myself to blame for this, right?

Good thing I know about save-scumming.

*A couple of failed attempts later*

giphy.gif

Oh hey, would you look at that, he hit the tank with just his first shot.

pfavi2S.png

Who would have thought this was possible?

Spoiler

What I imagine the response of the majority of those reading the LP is right now:

O8dkxDu.png

9KpDAzP.pngoBBa8Is.png

And now for my next trick, I'll make this big-ass dude suddenly not be a target for the Gallians by hiding him slightly behind a crate.

s2SFhJL.png

"Sorry, brother, I hate to do this, but orders are orders."

giphy.gif

Dick shots are always the best way to take down an enemy shocktrooper.

And now that he's dead...

khHLn0e.png

Yoink!

Score one for the Empire.

That's already one less place they can call reinforcements from.

pJk82LD.png

Now... to actually move Otto so that I don't waste those sweet, sweet Action Points.

VhEJXiX.png

All the way up here.

Honestly, that stupid gatling gun is the biggest threat my forces face in this map.

Tj0FEmb.png

*Teleports behind you*

Psh.  Nothing personnel, kid.

giphy.gif

And thus two out of three snipers from this map are dead as shit.

KmW793Q.png

And then...

zEowpj9.png

You know what I really love about taking these camps?

I honestly don't care too much about stopping enemy reinforcements.  Since I'd only have to deal with one wave of them, and since most of my units are extremely OP, they're nothing more than a minor nuisance that I can easily deal with.

But the thing that makes them worth it... is hearing General Damon screaming at his soldiers about how incompetent they are.

nfkD7ai.png

It truly is music to my ears, hearing him being oh-so displeased.

And I think this is a good point to take a break.

Tune in... I don't know, probably around Christmas time.  We'll at least see the conclusion of the first turn before the month is out, though I'd like to shot at least a little further.

On 12/17/2017 at 3:59 AM, Cheetar said:

if all imps were like that then Gallia's plot armor is insane

edit: .

y0gZ6pr.png

are her eyes not alinged in this pic?

It's an... improved version of this pic from earlier in the LP:

HmgRZHo.png

She looked like she had a slight lazy eye.  At least to me.

Also, a tip for folks reading and wanting to reply to my posts or anyone else's: if you don't already know and you're on a PC, if you highlight text from posts, you get a bubble that says "quote", and if you click that, it'll only quote the material highlighted.

Very useful for if you want to refer to a specific thing someone's said without bringing the entire post with it; particularly useful for screenshot LPs, I'd say.  Hardly ever visit this site with a mobile device, so I wouldn't know if it works the same on tablets or phones.

Anyway...

Hello, girls and boEEEEYYYs.  Are you ready for a pre-Christmas LP?  You better be, 'cuz I got one RIGHT HERE, courtesy of GUY PIERI!

Lqu3vJg.png

Come on down to Flavortown, brush the snow off your shoulders (if you live at least a few hundred miles north of the equator, I mean), and enjoy yet another installment in the slaughter of General Matt Damon's soldiers...

nVOjzlz.png

at the hands of battleship 'Boro!

Even though the 'Boro and Friends DLC for FEW is out, I can't celebrate because I don't even have the game... yet.

Also, fuck snow.  I genuinely despise it.

BHBF Part 1-3: I Never Miss! (Gameplay)

Spoiler

zEowpj9.png

Where we last left off:

• Every member of Selvaria's platoon is a one-man/one-gal army
  • General Damon still sounds like a rabid bulldog I actually love bulldogs, fyi
  • Gallian tanks are chumps
  • My lancers are actually fucking snipers
  • Nerd Marth became a music video producer while no one was looking
  • Selvaria's waiting for her turn to blow everyone's expectations out of the water

4gvDmeh.png

So the first move for us is to move the female protagonist of Fallout 4 up a little bit.  Just so that she's a little closer to the Institute's- er, I mean the Gallian Army's tank that's sitting there.

HRjx9Zq.png

Next we'll use Seguler the Reguler Scout to assist Otto the bus driver.

wqSKhDw.png

I know this enemy is just a scout, but it's pretty goddamn sad that I could fairly easily bring him down to just below half health simply by shooting at him from all the way back here with one of my own scouts.

GSWG1Ot.png

So let's move in closer...

While I did clear out the one shocktrooper, I still need to be concerned with the goddamn gatling gun over by the tank (I didn't mention it, but it's there), so I can't move in too close with him.  Even with the buffs we've been given, scouts are still extremely squishy.

RIXa0eB.png

Even though he's closer, this is still sad.

giphy.gif

Put him out of his misery, Seguler.  Though it's too bad there's no one to take poor Seguler away from his own hell.

Spoiler

No, I'm not encouraging euthanasia for folks who aren't ill or suicide.

Zakiap5.png

"Ow, ow, OW!  MY LIFE IS SHIT!"

I guess Seguler hates life now for some reason.

tJC1KbU.png

Here's the good news, though.  Because he isn't at full HP, he'll no longer be an inaccurate PoS.

eG1iED7.png

"Oh Ertrick... please Ertrick, will you finally be using Selvaria?"

p9e7hHM.png

Whenever this potential procs, Selvaria goes "I never miss!"

Why did I mention this?  Well, two reasons...

First, that's what I named the title of this LP in case you didn't notice.

Second... it procs every single time you use her, so she'll say it every time you select her.

Her other positive potential, "Born Leader", also tends to proc often since she's almost always running at the enemy all by herself, and with that one, she says "Leave this to me!"  It's... quite something.

Regardless...

Yes.  It's time to awaken the devil!

aRxMIsW.png

... and to get shot and hit by snipers, EVEN THOUGH THIS CLEARLY FUCKING MISSED ME AND SNIPERS ARE CLEARLY BULLSHIT IN THIS MOD!

Tp5xfFK.png

So there's this lancer and that sniper.  After this move, I only have two CPs, but there's plenty of enemies to kill.

You know what I'm gonna do here?

hNSnwNp.png

Firstly, SERIOUSLY, LOOK AT THAT MOTHER FUCKING DOT!  THIS IS HOW FUCKING BROKEN SELVARIA IS!  SHE BARELY TAKES DAMAGE FROM SNIPERS, AND SHE LITERALLY HAS THE SAME ACCURACY AS THOSE BITCHES, EVEN THOUGH SHE USES A FULLY AUTOMATIC WEAPON!

Selvaria is more bullshit than the Boss in MGS3 firing the goddamn Patriot - what is essentially a sawed-off M16 - perfectly straight with only one arm.

Secondly, I'm literally gonna try to kill two birds with one stone.  Just watch this garbage right here:

giphy.gif

Um, okay, her not killing the sniper was more due to my own incompetence.  Trust me, she's very well capable of eviscerating both at once, I just need to work on my aim.

giphy.gif

Also, Selv has her own victory pose where just says "Enemy neutralized" and nods.

Very direct woman, she is.

By the way, the Imps don't have victory poses.

8xYz1IA.png

And then once again with this fuckin' sniper...

hxgcHFX.png

Listen...

xCTtyY4.png

Bro...

Cut that shit out right now.

No one thinks you're cool, asshole.

You're just a dick.

And you're really pissing me off.

5YuYYBT.png

Anyway, I have her stop right between some buildings.

By the way, this gun is based off of some kind of WW2 German machine gun; the MG34.

SkAksq2.jpg

Though for some reason, it makes me think of the Browning Automatic Rifle (BAR).

QPPR28D.jpg

Given that they both essentially serve the same purpose, it's no surprise.

Now let me go off on a tangent here, for those of you curious about guns and what's so ridiculous about Selvaria shooting in such a straight line with it.

Spoiler

So it's a goddamn machine gun.  It's more than half as tall as Selvaria (the MG34 is around 3-4 feet [over 1,000 milimeters] long), and because it looks to have a tripod for some reason it likely weighs a whopping 42 pounds (19.2 kg)!

I mentioned the Boss from MGS3 and her gun, the Patriot.  The idea behind that weapon is that it was literally a handgun-sized assault rifle; it is an M16 (an assault rifle used in the Vietnam War) with the barrel cut very short and the stock removed.  Some might know that higher caliber SMGs tend to recoil a lot.  Because assault rifles have more stopping power, the Patriot kicks a lot more than even the most unwieldy of SMGs.  Yet the Boss is able to fire it quite accurately with only one hand because... well, she's a boss.

Now, the thing is that the length of the barrel tends to make automatic weapons fire further and more accurately.  But if you don't really have proper leverage, then you might find a lot of your shots falling below your target, something that usually happens when people push a handgun downward while firing to try to counter the recoil (which you're not supposed to do).  Machine guns tend to be very front-heavy when firing due to the length of their barrels, and they also fire higher caliber rounds than most assault rifles (the BAR is about .30 cal while the M16 and M4 are about the equivalent of a .22 cal in projectile size), so that means more recoil.

Because of these facts, machine guns are usually given either bipods or tripods to mount at the front of the barrel like you see with both the pictures above.  And some machine guns - such as the Browning M1919 - might also come with a handle that hangs over where the handguard would usually be found so that you can hold onto it in a way that can prevent the front end from falling.

But as you see in this gif:

giphy.gif

Selvaria doesn't give a shit and just fires it as if it was any old assault rifle.

What I'm getting at is this...

If Selvaria was your average grunt, her shots would start off falling short and then gradually move upwards, and they'd be all over the place.  The Ruhm effectively has the inverse problem that the Patriot has; a lack of leverage due to an abundance of weight in the front end, rather than the absence of such weight.  Remember that this fucking thing weighs 42 pounds; that's about as much as an adolescent bulldog or pitbull might weigh.  So imagine lugging around an elongated dog from the behind and trying to hold up the front of it from that end.  Does that sound difficult?  Then you know exactly why this is so ridiculous...

Selvaria must not only be really fucking strong, but she must have practiced so much with that gun to know just how much weight her left hand needs to apply upwards in order to fire in a laser-focus straight line like that.  But even then, she shouldn't be so accurate without mounting it against a surface with the tripod.

Basically, Selvaria's not only a deadly albino that deflects shells and eats tanks for breakfast, but she also defies physics.  The only explanation for this is that she's a demigod...

A demigod that directly competes with Isara Gunther!

aIC4oXU.png

Alright, you notice how the sniper is facing towards Selvaria now?

And do you remember when busards told us the sniper radius is limited?

Well...

OHk0Mgd.png

I think now is a safe time to utilize Nerd Marth.

cq82N4P.png

Whenever Johann's "Ultimate Defense" potential (which was originally "Ultimate Evade", I think) procs - which again, is every time you select him - he'll say "Dodging, I'm good at!"

He says it all the time.

And now I will too so that I can drill it into your guys's heads.

It's funny too, because that is something the actual Marth is known for thanks to Smash.  Dodge-tanking for days.

9waHuGX.png

Even fucking Nerd Marth has sniper accuracy!

giphy.gif

Of course, the guy dies a worse death than the younglings or the women and children that were slaughtered like animals by Anakin off-screen.

uEBhUUs.png

Plopping him here.

It may seem like a bad idea to place him in sight of an enemy shocktrooper, but I have a plan.  Trust me.

I really just leave him here because of limited CPs.

OmqhPHT.png

So what to do with this one CP?  Well...

Some troops are really hurting...

You know what will fix that?

xrCDQJv.png

This fucking OP order.

A "heal all" order that only costs a single frickin' CP.

Get ready...

giphy.gif

HEAR ME, LOYAL MEN OF THE EMPIRE!

0jrVFQf.png

"Tend to your wounds and rejoin the fray! Hawk legions, hear my orders now!"

I actually took Isara's "all units die" order from a one of Selvaria's order shots, not one of Welkin's.  You can tell by looking at the background behind the order banner.

tzDuKdC.png

With that, the turn ends...

y4X5lhd.png

Alright, tell me...

Does this CP count seem intimidating to you?

I want you to answer this question both before and after this turn ends.

Remember, the count is 20 CPs.  I'll go through them with you step-by-step.

qGhAoB1.png

First four CPs go to requesting reinforcements at all the remaining bases along the western flank; they don't request any at their main base camp.

giphy.gif

The next CP...

You know what?  For the Gallians' sake, let's just forget about CP Number Five.

Next CP!

giphy.gif

Uh...

Let's forget that one too.

Nerd Marth actually dealt the most damage and the finishing blow, funnily enough.

giphy.gif

CP Number Seven...

Isn't all that impressive either.

Let's see how they use their-

9ZQw48H.png

Okay, I'll see you all after Christmas.  Hopefully, I don't get too addicted to Mario or FEW to the point that I won't even be able to post again.

• 2 weeks later...

So a year is done... and I've spent the last quarter of that year working on this LP.

I don't have a new part in store yet... and I will work on putting that out probably at some point this week...  But I must say something here first.

This LP has been one of the best things that happened in 2017 for me.  I was reticent to begin it initially, but I just sort of let loose and it's all been great fun from then on.  Thank you everyone who made this decision one I didn't wind up regretting.  And can you believe that we'll be getting a brand new Valkyria Chronicles game this year?  It's the perfect time for me to help folks get into the series, and I hope that it helps make VC4 a great hit.

Here's to another year of Valkyria Chronicles, both on the Gallian front and the Federation front.

• 3 weeks later...

So I've been away for a while, haven't I?  Last few weeks have just been a lot of stuff going on...  Never underestimate the power the holidays can have on your schedule.

But I'm back now, and still with plenty of time to spare before VC4 comes out, I wager.  I sincerely hope we hear more from that soon, but until then, I'll just be doing my little LP.

BHBF Part 1-4: Leave This To Me! (Gameplay)

Spoiler

Time to refresh even my own memory...

9ZQw48H.png

Where we last left off:

• Selvaria has a BFG that she can use with pinpoint accuracy
  • Johann definitely is NOT Lobster King, but is pretty damn close to it
  • Gallia spams reinforcements as if it'd do anything at all
  • Gallian troops just suck ass
  • Seguler is Jim Chapman from Resident Evil Outbreak, who definitely isn't supposed to be Dennis Rodman
  • Nora the Lesbian has a similar fashion sense to Kai Schulen and probably admires her ass just as much as any of us would
  • I found lewd 'Boro
    pU1zzeT.png
    who is too hot to handle.  And is somehow lewder than Niles.

And at the top of the round, we have...

Yf6HcxV.png

a... conversation?

You know, I've been watching D&D streams, and it was brought up that in combat each turn is roughly six seconds...

Maybe they ought to take that philosophy into making these scenes and... not have the characters yap at each other for, like, five minutes while fighting is going on.  Who am I kidding?  Japan almost always favors telling over showing.

shu4sDu.png

She does seem to have what many would call a "resting bitch face"...

5cUSwKY.png

But honestly, this better suits the tone she had just taken with Nerd Marth.

And I wholly agree with it.

cIIm5uo.png

What, you mean this piece of shit?

pPhVWqg.png

Listen... just because it's a pain in the ass to destroy does not mean it's actually good for anything.

In all seriousness though, have you seen these motherfucking walls?  You have to wager the Batomys is roughly twice-to-three times the size of a tank...

cOTtGO7.png

Like so.

Meanwhile...

X9yNCEb.png

Judging from that estimate and this picture of an Imperial medium tank...

I'm just having a hard time believing that murderous cock monument could do much actual damage.  Not within a reasonable time frame, anyway.

4K5xg4T.png

Well, Nerd Marth, if you're so smart, then answer me this:

Why go to the trouble of sending footsoldiers to do anything when you could just use tanks, mortars, and bombers to destroy everything?

rliFTQK.pngL4vCgZG.png

And the answer is that people can go where tanks can't, and some buildings are actually worth saving.

A country, its resources, and fortifications are of no use to you if it's all just a pile of rubble.  And the point of an invasion is to reap all the resources for your own use.  Remember, that's the entire reason the Empire is even bothering to invade Gallia in the first place?

Besides that, the Empire has no forward operating base to work from at this point; Ghirlandaio would be a better place for the higher ups to rendezvous and discuss war strategies than some shitty village, a camp, or a mining facility, and it'd sure as hell be a lot better than constantly lugging it all the way back to the Empire.  Armies almost always send their Generals to a fortification within the country that is seeing conflict.  That's because communication is faster that way, especially in the era this game is emulating, and communication is very much key to the success of an army.

N3u8nsn.png

s8jbkmP.png

Tell me, Nerd Marth... how tiny is your brain?

For one thing, Maximilian really doesn't give a shit about any of you.  Neither do any of the other Princes/Princesses or the Emperor himself.  So they really don't give a shit about sacrificing mince meat like you.

For another... do you really think so small?  Listen, I don't know if any of you readers know, but I've played strategy games before.  And in the time I've spent playing them, I learned that one of the biggest keys to succeeding in a battle of tactics is to always prepare for the worst.

mW8Kq5X.png

You know what?  Selvaria's no dumby.  She can explain it for me.

MjbWBEH.png2BEeoHR.png

That... that's it?

I gave all these long explanations, and...

Also, this definitely isn't foreshadowing anything at all.

DYcRxdC.png

Happy Selv is back.

And yes, that possibility is one reason why it's best to not level the fort.

xQrf7Xq.png

You know... there was a famous man in a big sci-fi space voyaging show who once said "Overconfidence is a slow and insidious killer."

Remember what happened to Maximilian's cock monume- oh wait, that didn't happen yet.

Uh... look at Damon and his stupid fucking face.

9N1KKul.png

Overconfidence is a slow and insidious killer, indeed.  I already want to put a hole through that feathered cap of his.

1FmSsZ7.png

And now we're officially into gameplay.

Let's do Genny's legacy proud and... ROLL!

yscr97t.png

Top of the round goes to Selvaria.

QLdhozC.png

Again... pinpoint accuracy.

But... hmm...

giphy.gifgiphy.gif

I somehow knew it, yet I still got somewhat screwed out of this deal.

Fuck.

VDx8cSu.png

And the little bitch gets to continue hitting her.

If you were a sniper, I'd so totally give you a derogatory, vulgar name.

BL6Gk34.png

Moving past that idiot who barely did damage to Selvaria, we now have this bitchy maze.

Okay, so normally you'd send Nerd Marth to take these things out... but because I sent Selvaria first, and because doing anything else would be a grievous waste of AP, I'm gonna have to make her go through this.

Let me show you how stupid this is.

giphy.gifgiphy.gif

Do you see?

LOOK AT THAT AP DRAIN!

Used up at least twice the AP I would if I could just run straight through it.  And that was me trying my best to optimize her movements through it; imagine how much this would waste for a newbie player, and especially one who doesn't get to enjoy the insane stat boosts this mod gives the Imperials.

These barriers suck ass.

iOE7nqW.png

So I'm stopping her... a little shorter than normal.  But this is fine.

Normally I'd have to deal with a tank here, but...

giphy.gif

Yeah, I love this mod.

MAQjJyr.png

Next is Johann "Dodging, I'm Good At!" Eisen.

aUE8mQC.png

And you better believe he's gonna kick this guy's ass.

giphy.gif

"Let's continue to nurture this bond!"

Oh wait, wrong game.

7Na95Kq.png

Oh goddammit, am I gonna have to run him through this shit as well?

TLyj4zN.png

I...

Oh, I guess he'll just stop mid-way.

I was about to pull out the Benny Hill.  That's how ridiculous I think this crap is.

At least that means I can blast the rest of them.

giphy.gif

hCxZArA.jpg

How I feel about this, tbh.

ZJLayOy.png

Right, so moving past the rubble...

SHy2xyZ.png

Oh hey, it's Selvaria.

Hey, you big-titted lady who I like exponentially more than Fire Emblem's big-titted lady.  You all know exactly who I'm referring to; the one from the same game as my favorite character.

ihB5nPY.png

Stopping him here, and...

05fw8Ra.png

Malya...

12TBHSq.png

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Good.  Now let me tell you the tragedy of Darth Pelagueis the Wise.

c7EKTEe.png

Just plopping him here.

rF44kBu.png

And...

I'm gonna call it here for now.

Somewhat short part, but I kind of want to... not make every part a long, grinding project.

I'll try instead to do two shorter parts a week... if I can.

Tune in next time.

It's sure nice to be OP as the Empire in the mod for this eh?  Also I'm pretty sure you mentioned this a while back that you never did the hard/expert skirmishes, but the weapons your units use in BHBF use the same ones enemies use in those skirmishes (the 9X models) which is why they're super lethal.  If you ever do those...all I can say is good luck ;)

A minor bit of trivia, but the tank designated as "Jackal" is a reference to a boss tank in VC3 (the Schakal)

• 3 weeks later...

Alright you fellas, here's the deal.

I've obviously not posted for a while.  There's a combination of reasons for this, but I think I'm gonna start doing this differently.  Primarily by essentially considering the next chapter (Chapter 8, not the next part of Behind her Blue Flame) a sort of new beginning; a kind of "Book 2" or "Season 2", I guess, where I try to change the way I go about doing this so that, hopefully, I don't keep trudging along so slowly in this.  Part of that is gonna be me making an active effort to cut out certain stuff consistently; I noticed that I have a tendency to start slow and build up the pace, sort of like our very own Elysse Moore.  I'm sick of getting caught up in a single chapter for a month or so, which is probably the biggest contributor to me not working on this much.  That's purely my fault for wanting to sprinkle in every little moment when some moments really don't need to be shown.

Season 2 will be effective as soon as I've completed the DLC stuff, but I will try to employ this new approach here as well.  In fact, it'll be good practice because, as you might be able to discern from the segments I've done so far of it, there's a lot of pointless, filler moments in the DLC due to it all being piss easy.  When I come to this Season 2, I'll attempt to do a general recap as well of everything that's happened so far.

I'll work on getting this next part out... tonight or tomorrow.  And my promise is to finish up the gameplay portion in that next part.  No if's, and's, or but's.

I apologize for those who have been following, but have barely received a thing for two months.  I hate that I've waited so long to get back on track with this.

Hey @Ertrick36, It's fine. I understand things getting tedious and not wanting to continue on with them. I'll be waiting patiently for any updates whenever they may be, just try to keep up the good work and I understand. Also it may just be my file but Elysse is actually best lancer, she continually 1 shots tanks without hitting the radiator even late game. I'm going to go back to my file soonish and work on it more as well actually (I got distracted by warriors and xenoblade 2 for a while) in anticipation of 4's japan release next month. Also it's been confirmed Edy and squad 7 are in the game too, at least through bonus stuff in the collectors edition that we have no word of in the west let alone a release date in the west.

1 hour ago, LucarioGamer812 said:

Also it's been confirmed Edy and squad 7 are in the game too, at least through bonus stuff in the collectors edition that we have no word of in the west let alone a release date in the west.

Oh yeah, I actually saw a bit of that.  Isara of course gets to take on the new class, 'cuz royalty always gets to play with all the new toys first.

On 1/18/2018 at 8:34 PM, kaidoi said:

It's sure nice to be OP as the Empire in the mod for this eh?  Also I'm pretty sure you mentioned this a while back that you never did the hard/expert skirmishes, but the weapons your units use in BHBF use the same ones enemies use in those skirmishes (the 9X models) which is why they're super lethal.  If you ever do those...all I can say is good luck ;)

A minor bit of trivia, but the tank designated as "Jackal" is a reference to a boss tank in VC3 (the Schakal)

Sorry for not replying for a solid month.

It is a nice bit of reprieve to just easily murder things, but it can also be a bit of a pain to sift through it all to find moments worth screenshotting.  I actually never even beat the game with this mod installed, and yes I never beat those skirmishes vanilla either, but I definitely won't look forward to fighting against these weapons if I do ultimately tackle them.  It's looking like LP of that will be very unlikely, but I may do them off-camera, so to speak.

I never knew about the Schakal until you mentioned it.  I never even played VC3, even though I would like to.  At some point down the line, I'll try to LP that game as well.  With the screenshot capabilities of the Switch (as well as the fact that I have a micro-SD card and a USB adapter for SD cards), I'll even be able to LP VC4, which I think I'll definitely do to make it more fun to play.

Alright, so here's the final part of the first gameplay segment of the DLC story.  Man, that was fast, wasn't it?

BHBF Part 1-5: Y O U   A R E   D E A D (Gameplay)

Spoiler

I am here with my good friend here on the starship Taku, Darth 'Boro, as I continue to report on the attrociti- I mean, the glorious stampede of superior Imperial troops upon the soil of the peasant country Gallia.

Not gonna do a "where we last left off" this time 'cuz nothing really happened, thanks to the gauntlet of infinite tedium.  We'll be cutting over to our friends on the other flank as they...

LFSzDwe.png

... attack Matt Damon.

gBY47sM.png

HHHHHHMMMMMMM...

Gee, it would surely be a shame if I destroyed this tank that Damon's in.

Yes indeed it would.

giphy.gif

No, I'm not smirking right now, what are you saying?

So that's pretty much the goal of the west flank; to destroy the enemy tank there, though this lesbian lancer is gonna need help.  Do you like alliteration?  I do.

Meanwhile...

gbZ8JfE.png

Good ol' Nerd Marth is gonna be clearing the way, and hopefully not getting attacked by enemy shocktroopers at some point.  Do you like foreshadowing?  I... kinda do.

len310j.png

One more order of business.  Do you like puns?  I don't.

giphy.gif

HEAR ME, LOYAL MEN OF THE EMPIRE!

giphy.gif

Make your guard hard as the Valkyria shield!

IBJPVqd.png

So... you wanna know what the Gallians will do on the-

Ik7vxwU.png

Hey!

Dt1Y2Li.png

Don't you dare interrupt me while I'm talking, Damon!

So what do they do?

OKer8ea.png

Well, clearly the only logical answer is DYING.

Any questions?

GI5V9Xi.png

Also, for some reason they spend a CP moving a scout, like, five feet.  Lemme repeat that.

A scout.

Moving.

Five fuckin' feet.

AI, everyone.  If we wind up dying because of the Skynet, we honestly deserve it for being more incompetent than this.

9o1ZKPe.png

Oh, and Otto was getting a little wild partying due to the fact that our victory is pretty much guaranteed, and so he fell off from one of the rooftops.  Don't worry, though he landed on his head, he suffered no brain injuries due to him wearing a helmet.  Because even when you're partying, safety always comes first.

ZInDGUy.png

Naturally, the enemy's too stupid or scared to try anything else, so we're back to our turn.

... You know what I have to do, right?

giphy.gif

AND THIS IS TO GO EVEN FURTHER BEYOND!!!

giphy.gif

HAAA!

YOU THOUGHT YOU WERE HOT,

GUESS WHAT,

YOU'RE NOT!

YOU ARE DEAD

DEAD

DEAD

You have no idea how long I've been waiting to pull this one.

And you gotta love this double-whammy of a crossover.

rVBZXEU.png

UUHHHH...

XYfR5jK.png

THAT TANK FUCKING BLEW UP, DUDE!

THERE'S NO FUCKING WAY HE-

CPx01en.png

What.

The.

Fuck.

HOW IN THE ABSOLUTE LITERAL HOLY MOTHER OF SHIT, FATHER, SON, MARY, AND JOSEPH, DID YOU SURVIVE A FUCKING EXPLOSION?!?!?!

And he totally ruined my joke, the asshole!  How dare he live!

I bite my thumb at you, General Lameon.  I bite my thumb at you, and give your name a thousand red curses!

Also, "haven't you heard of a defense"?  Haven't you heard of actual leadership?  You really oughta try it some time.

xPwBgKG.png

Alright, so we've already established that gaining the high ground is the key to victory...

What does this guy think getting off the wall entirely will do for his chances at securing a win at this point?

This is a man who got this job handed to him rather than him having actually worked up to it.

RgSPPFC.png

So they're fodder while Damon thinks and prepares to do something in return.

Not only is he incompetent, he's also a genuinely shitty person who doesn't give a flying fuck about his troops - a fact that is becoming clearer and clearer the more we see him.

I feel sorry for generic Gallian Scout.  Make sure you all press F to pay your respects to him, as I'm pretty sure all of Damon's working him to the bone has made him dead on the inside.

gChWLVP.png

The poor guy.

If only he was under Selvaria's command.  He'd get a lot more compassion from her.

Well, I mean...

GOFmOpa.png

Relatively...

As long as he doesn't do a shit job.

yvCxjlK.png

Ooooohhhh, SO scary.  The loser general with a smaller dick than Maximilian is gonna get us.

VbmsBst.png

Yes, indeed.  We'll all pay dearly, I'm sure.

Somebody shoot this idiot before he makes a bigger ass out of himself.  Please.

Anyway, now that that's done and Otto is likely cracking open a kegger with his fellow Imps on the western flank, let's move on to the other flank.

AkD4lrr.png

Eisenhower is clearing away pebbles for Chrom Selvaria.

You see directly up ahead how there looks to be a path down?  Well... yeah, it's a path down... to ground level.  AKA, where Selvaria needs to go.

6Ky3D7s.png

Let's go, Marthipan!

dcBRKNT.png

Augh, no good!

Everyone knows Marth's defense stats are only around par.  He can't take this much punishment!

And no, he's not dodging in spite of him repeatedly saying that it's what he's good at!

xhkDnps.png

LpcvpZh.png

Wow, I... I really let her fall behind, didn't I?

This is where the tank that one lancer sniped was.

Anyway, fast-forwarding...

giphy.gif

... a little too far, but that's okay.  Dude in path is D E D, so we can now move... slightly further.

I love how the gif seems to always make it look like a dull orange laser stream.  I want you all to imagine with me that this is a laser rifle, and Selvaria's just melting their faces with it.

UhwUpEA.png

A few minutes later (and after the Imperials sent one of their medic Corgis to assist the troops off-screen), Nerd Marth yet again finds himself in the line of fire.

He's just like, "Damn, first it was that stupid dragon, and now it's my dumb asshole of a 'friend' who fancies himself an emperor and a cuck so he goes on a rampage and tries to destroy the world because of it.  Fuck my life, am I right?"

8CXuW7O.png

But being the proud Altean Prince who occasionally tries to dab like the Great Saiyaman/Gotenks but winds up falling to the side because he throws himself off balance trying too hard, he still performs his barricade destruction duties admirably.

b7wf9Fm.png

And Selvaria blows by the same guy who gave Nerd Marth trouble, barely even flinching as she refuses to even acknowledge this grunt's existence.

4oWsQoz.png

Okay, he did a bit of damage, but it ultimately is of no consequence because VICTORY IS IN SIGHT!

Because Selvaria is so goddamn OP, she can just destroy this thing herself.  You could snipe at it with lancers, but it just feels more satisfying to let Selvaria destroy it herself.

giphy.gif

Bye bye!

3ZgWth9.png

And that's all there is to it, really.  At least in this mod.  Funny thing is, this is actually a fairly tough map without the mod; more difficult, I'd say, than most of the maps in the regular story.

And with that, it's time to go to the results-

t6UoDBY.png

Oh, right... the characters still need to talk after I beat a map.

It... doesn't really fly above Ghilrandaio.  Well, not right now, but... I mean, I guess she did say "tonight", so maybe they're gonna hoist one up later on?

Regardless, Damon did say he was gonna launch a counterattack, so I wouldn't necessarily call this a full victory just yet.  I mean, it isn't like Damon will be that much trouble, but still...

eUckpV9.png

I'm telling you guys, she makes it sound like this is the end, but it isn't.  There's another chapter after this, and then the secret chapter you unlock for doing an extra good job.

rkpY0RA.png

Oh, right.  The story's protagonist is technically Nerd Marth, so he has to get his due too, apparently.

Even though all he did was blow up a few blockades and kill a single dude.

xzT2udJ.png

Selvaria, you basically put him on the line for no good reason.  With the fact that you have a healing order and that you're probably tall enough to just vault over the barricades, you really didn't need him at all.

But yes, continue flattering him and pretending that he did something important.

B7C6jvk.pngi5ivI82.png

Oh man, he's just like me after shoveling snow off my driveway.

Drink a dose of Zquil, it'll help you sleep better.

QHcN2Tp.png

Then he passes out, and Selvaria makes this somewhat callous jape about it.

He he ha ha, let's go put shaving cream on his hand and then tickle his nose with a feather.  Or feed him some fuckin' Tide Pods while he snores and drools.  It'll be funny.

HDbKlW3.png

And now the results.

Clearly, Maximilian doesn't value Selvaria the way Isara would if this is the kind of payment she gets for taking a goddamn FOB.

But hey, I got A rank... on what has so far been the easiest chapter to play by a long shot.  And really, it was fun to mindlessly shoot dudes and snipe tanks with lancers.

What lies in store for our... heroes(?) next time?

Find out...

Gotta capture that authentic DBZ experience.