Valkyria Chronicles: Gallian Crossfire mod - Temporary Ceasefire

Ertrick36

@Ertrick36

So this is a reply to the convo chain way back in june but figured I'd post here so anyone else can look. SPOILERS FOR VALKYRIA CHRONICLES ANIME AND LATE VALKYRIA CHRONICLES 1 GAME

Spoiler

So Alicia and Selvaria were both in the same program, and Alicia was sent to an orphanage like many others since Selvaria was the most powerful Valkyrur maiden blood there, though she escaped and was rescued by Maximillian. Their battles at Naggiar and Ghirlandio have more meaning. I read the basic plot outlines of every episode today and I like how it altered some parts of the story and actually made it better in some areas. The biggest shocker to me was what they did with Faldios character but I won't spoil that.

Anyways hope your playthrough of the VC4 demo is going well and we're less than a month for 4's release. I'll probably end up getting the game the week after due to how I pre-ordered it and how it'll be shipped. For anyone still looking to pre-order it I remember seeing this but gamestop ( I know terrible place) is throwing in a official valkyria chronicles 4 hat of the shibe dog for any and all pre-orders. I hope mine comes with it since I pre-ordered way back when they first launched pre-orders but if not it's not major to me. I'm not willing to cancel and replace my order just for a hat and possibly lose my special edition.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I scrapped the review idea, I'd rather give a full review or a proper first impressions in... well, I'll talk about it later.

Alright, so because VC4 is coming out in less than a week (though no Isara until December), I'm gonna neglecting this LP... in order to LP that game (I'll try to do video LPing with that one, but if it doesn't work out I may switch back; I just have this really nice microphone I want to try out so badly).

However, I don't want to leave this hanging in the middle of a chapter that I sort of hyped up...  So today and some day before September 25 (maybe even today), I will finish this chapter.  And if I catch a second wind before then, I may do all of the next chapter, because honestly that's a really short chapter.  But for now, enjoy what will be likely the second-to-last part of this LP for a long while.

And one more thing for those who regularly follow this.  As you've noticed, my LP schedule for this has been exceptionally erratic.  Since this has been my first LP ever, I essentially didn't know what I was doing.  I had to figure things out like picture format, post layout, and how to not leave the FPS counter on.  I also tested the waters on some things, such as gifs (which I feel confident that I could probably start doing again if I wanted to).  One other thing I've figured out is that all of these delays in an LP are a huge detriment.  And I would chock it down to not having a proper schedule for release of these.

So from here on - for my VC4 LP and for whenever this kicks back on - I'll set days of the week aside to post my content.  And I'll make everyone observing these LPs aware of such schedules.  I may start doing LPs of other games, especially if I get a capture card for my PS3.  I'll keep everyone posted on that, but I'll just say that any games in the screenshot format will be posted sometime over the weekends.  And of course, there will be times where I can't make that happen... but to that end, I'll try to make sure folks know when those times happen.

Anyway, let's see our favorite Darcsens kick some Imp ass!  And then let's hop on the VC4 hype train ヽRGaYS2c.png

Chapter 8-10: And Your Rank Is... (Gameplay)

Spoiler

HuPPBQE.png

Where we last left off:

• Roy defeated Zephiel and has collected all of the Divine Weapons so that he can challenge the last dragon
  • Lynn kicked even more ass, because of course she did
  • Stupid Ace Sniper fucking died like the B I T C H he is
  • Marina is doing exceptionally poorly this map, seriously.  Like, is she okay?  Does she need to cuddle with Hans the homicidal wannabe duke flying pig?  I'm getting really concerned about her wellbeing and happiness at this point
  • Audrey helped, sorta
  • Isara was busy fiddling around with SRPG Studio and playing older games that she's already played, like, a hundred times before
  • Welkin stepped on two landmines, RIP

So to get back into what may be the last gameplay segment in a while, we need some good "near the end" music that still works for this... rather unassuming chapter (at least from a story perspective).

And I'm sorry I'm reverting back to the same game for music, but no other game in the series had music that fit for the mood I was going for.

Bless Leif and his games that have all-too-fitting music tracks.  And bless Master Enix for their due diligence in releasing a fuck ton of FE tracks.

Qm7NCjf.png

So the goal with this turn is to get Welkin at least halfway to the Edelweiss.

Because he's gotta get there at some point.  We've already wasted, like, two turns on this, I think (I don't actually remember).

gElv48I.png

So after a couple of resets due to fucking landmines...

p6b06gX.png

Welkin finally made it to this point with little issue.

YWo2Hiq.pngcBeOSvh.png

Edy attacks this guy.  She doesn't kill him.

7Za4pyg.png

Afterwards, everyone's favorite sad boi comes out of the wood works to help out.

EQUBlau.pngfdVMFx1.pngqmzYmHK.pngHN38MH3.png

Look at this good boy go!

NSADEA9.png

I plump his ass down in safety.

qfX5Ptu.pngk3R8U6E.png

Marina actually kills something today!

Maybe she's finally broken her curse ヽRGaYS2c.png

8PAc0bs.png

Speaking of eventualities, Alicia finally gets a turn!

cUyXTMx.png

This time, I want her to go for the mortar.

I think I recall destroying this thing with grenades before, so let's try that and see if it'll be faster than shooting at it with the lancer.

Haaaaaaiiiiii-

J0Rb1ro.png

YYYYYYY-yo, what-

pXceiGJ.png

Uh...

9yulmBH.png

IT HURT ITSELF IN ITS CONFUSION!

P8H82q5.png

Well fuck me!

So normally it's game over if Alicia dies... however, as Alicia isn't a leader anymore, her becoming incapacitated doesn't proc an instant game over like normal.  But if she actually dies dies (an enemy soldier picks her up or three turns pass), we actually will get a game over.  It's kind of odd, actually.

Anyway...

5zpb81T.png

Welks throws the damn thing instead, and...

fz6aew0.png

It does fuck all.

I don't know if it was just that my aim was off, or if grenades genuinely don't deal damage.  But man does that suck that I've wasted a valuable action and a grenade for nothing to happen.

CfGiROY.pnguMWGDJh.pngCoqN4Kv.png

After that, I go through the same motions as before; Audrey snipes with a lancer, Homer repairs and resupplies folks, and Edy attac (this time she also kil).  And Marina yet again kills a sniper, I believe, though I didn't snap a pic of it 'cuz I don't want to take a bunch of pics.

NwloWVe.png

And then Audrey once again shüt the mortar cannon, and Lynn... helps.  Don't worry Lynn, they may not think you're cool, but I do.

QoE5lfO.png0mVb4NK.png

Of course, this shit is still going on.

They aren't even deploying needed units, they're just loading up on shocktroopers for Lynn and Edy to use as target practice.  It'd honestly fuck me over more if they deployed another lancer.

PoOaMNM.png

And they aren't even doing anything, they're just shuffling around in that stupid little camp of their's.

DracrcW.png

Meanwhile, the Edelweiss gets slightly bodied, but as long as there's only that lancer and that tank, it'll never be a fatal shot.

eoHrP6a.png

And this was the shot that jostled Isara enough for her to pull herself away from her stupid games that she's played sixty-nine times and finish her GODDAMN LP ALREADY.

Sorry, 4th wall.

e6ha6tX.png

Yet again, the enemy ends their turn having done nothing useful.  And it seems the mortar's just striking the same place.  You'd think by now these idiots would've zeroed that piece of shit in on the exact location of the goddamn tank - you know, the modern military's equivalent of a cavalry unit - but as I've so thoroughly demonstrated before...

DTwJkrX.png

The imperial troops aren't exactly known to be the most competent soldiers...

This screenshot will never not be funny to me.

NSxIAIU.png

So once the Imps finished wanking themselves off in a back alleyway, I have Welks inch his way forward...

0kzW30m.png

And I mean inching, 'cuz of these fuckin' mines.

bmRrxym.png

So this is the way to get back up to where the Edelweiss is.

A broken down bridge that somehow works as a ladder... a bridge that normally could've just let Welkin reach the tank right away.

Funny how useful bridges are.  It's like Welkin said...

ppJWeDl.png

It's almost like this is symbolizing the end of an arc or something.

qTvtW1N.png

Rauhnfh.png

ibtJyhR.png

And then we're treated to another cutscene.

QqPftKM.png

Oh.

My.

GOD.

Look at her expression!

x0qTaFt.png

SHE LOOKS LIKE A SAD PUPPY, THIS FACE IS KILLING ME!

VdAs53m.png

And he blows it off like it's no big deal.

Your sister thought you might have straight up died, man.

qIyWIow.png

Bullshit, we've already conceded that you can run the damn thing on your own.  This excuse is a farce.

nAM7tmZ.png

Oh, but look at that face!

Goddammit, I can't handle this adorable munchkin, seriously!

aBh8eNz.png

And... again, Welkin just doesn't seem to care too terribly much about how Isara felt here.

Prepare for a rant in the next segment.  Seriously.

bqwtCDd.png

Click "End Phase" to issue an order here.

Right, so top of the turn with the Edelweiss, there's new music.  I feel it's only appropriate for me to blast a different song as well.

You know what, it's like a musical pendulum; I swung it from Genealogy to Thracia to Binding Blade, and then back to Thracia and Genealogy.  And I think this song works for that "renewed hope" vibe that's supposed to be conveyed in this game.

So I'm gonna cut through some BS, 'cuz this is starting to wind down.

k7zIcEB.png0BKHaSB.png

I'm first handing Audrey a Damage Boost order...

Or as we here in this LP affectionately call it, an "All Unit's Die" order...

giphy.gif

THIS IS AN ORDER!

UmJa8J3.png

GIVE ME BLOOD AND BURNT OIL FROM THE OTHER SIDE!  DISSECT THE CANNON... AND THE MAN OPERATING IT!

So adorable, you guys.

NRTFK7G.png

So the boost still isn't quite strong enough to allow her to lower the "To kill" count for her (which is a good thing on the mod's end, 'cuz it means you truly can't just cheese the game with orders)...

1DXNVdL.png

However...

sNuYUfg.png

Because of the slight bit more damage the cannon received, the Edelweiss can no destroy it in one shot.

PyfZE3G.png

And then another cutscene... which I won't cover 'cuz it's just Welkin and Alicia (who is really far away 'cuz I didn't bring her over to the other side in this save since that'd be a waste of time) talking about how this was the cannon that fired on them the other night.

You know, I've been poking at this game for having these interjecting cutscenes...  But have any of you ever seen Metal Gear Survive played for two hours?  Well, the first half of that is cutscenes, and you only get to play roughly five minutes of excruciating tutorials within that first hour (you get to shoot a gun once, and the rest is running around like a snail).  Talk about fun, right?  The only remorse in that game is Matt Mercer's quality acting.  Hell if I know why he decided to taint himself with that garbage.

DrIcRgd.png

So after the pointless scene, I position the tank for optimum killing potential.  Don't worry, I know what I'm doing.

Wmn7hOt.png

Of course I gotta bust out the Lynn.  You know what I'm all about, folks.

Puw1Lvj.png

This bastard hides behind a tree... but it won't save him!

JmrWKcy.png

EnPrDUB.png

Kindly DIE, will you?

3CRuBnM.png

Even with damage buffs, this is still a three-shot job.  Orders received a huge debuff.  Man, I really hope Busard will do a mod for VC4.

vh2Krfs.png

So a one shot goes, and Lynn is duckin'...

iqUhwNl.png

But I'm gonna end phase here to save on CPs.

aioOOpz.pngafDW8rT.png

You think this will be the last we see of this from this chapter?

I mean, we still have to deal with all of those dudes.  Speaking of, how will they handle this changing tide?

eDKdiZA.pngzJpT8Pg.pngOHtpS97.png8P2cH5z.png

Mmmhmm... that seems about right...

jSvhN8h.png

Also, the tank here destroys half of the HP of the Edelweiss.  Another reason I went for the closer tank first.

And for some reason the third guy there (yeah, there were three of them) didn't move.  I guess it's because he's a leader and is smart enough to know that moving around when the tank is right there is generally a bad idea.

Anyway...

YFMFoXi.png

So a second shot goes, and Lynn is glarin'...

jODHluk.png

And then a third shot goes, and tank is 'splodin'.

0z6LQF1.pngiR8Kkjl.png

Isara demolishes this pesky wall spectacularly.

This damn thing is the only reason we even need the Edelweiss.  And now it's down, so I can stop using it.

WZkZKEY.png

But I'll move it here anyway, 'cuz it's good cover.

w6whDt3.png

Lynn shoots at this guy.  He doesn't quite die, so Lynn curbstomps his head in like Trevor Philips does to Johnny in Grand Theft Auto 5.  You don't need to see that, trust me.

9GAxkfI.png

With her boots now bloodied, I move her over by the Edelweiss so that she can MURDER this final quarry.

But before that...

dOQ3VYP.png

Wavy takes the camp just 'cuz.

Probably should've let someone else like Audrey do it so that she could get closer to gaining her hidden potential, but ah well.

xYIOacg.png

You know what?  17 shots to kill, I believe this deserves a gif.

giphy.gif

HEEEEELLLLLL YEEEEEAAAAAHHHH, GUUUUURRRRRRLLLLLL, KILL HIM DEAD!!!

giphy.gif

SHE

DON'T

MIND

DAT

OOOOOOVERTIIIIIIIMMMMEEEEE

MUTHA FUCKAAAAAA!

dCRRWrQ.png

What a goddamn ending, am I right?

Though we probably didn't get an-

8yrTZSw.png

A ra-

HOLY SHIT, WHAT?!

WIVwawk.png

I'm gonna be completely and totally honest with all of you, I was not expecting to get an A rank here.

FN9tvDc.png

And to top it all off, we've got ourselves an Imperial sniper rifle.

QLHCWcg.png

Now we can have two intercepting snipers if we wanted, and it's probably more accurate and good n' stuff.

It's a shame I'll probably be stopping here soon.  But damn, there couldn't have been a better ending to this segment than the complete and utter annihilation of the imperial forces (aside from those shocktroopers by the mortar, but fuck 'em) followed by the discovery that I got an A-rank in spite of what I perceived as sluggishness.  The best part is that I only had one CP left over, so I was two CPs shy of not getting that rank.

Well, talk about a good ending.  Tune in for one final part closing off this chapter...

On 8/31/2018 at 8:31 PM, LucarioGamer812 said:

@Ertrick36

So this is a reply to the convo chain way back in june but figured I'd post here so anyone else can look. SPOILERS FOR VALKYRIA CHRONICLES ANIME AND LATE VALKYRIA CHRONICLES 1 GAME

Reveal hidden contents

So Alicia and Selvaria were both in the same program, and Alicia was sent to an orphanage like many others since Selvaria was the most powerful Valkyrur maiden blood there, though she escaped and was rescued by Maximillian. Their battles at Naggiar and Ghirlandio have more meaning. I read the basic plot outlines of every episode today and I like how it altered some parts of the story and actually made it better in some areas. The biggest shocker to me was what they did with Faldios character but I won't spoil that.

Anyways hope your playthrough of the VC4 demo is going well and we're less than a month for 4's release. I'll probably end up getting the game the week after due to how I pre-ordered it and how it'll be shipped. For anyone still looking to pre-order it I remember seeing this but gamestop ( I know terrible place) is throwing in a official valkyria chronicles 4 hat of the shibe dog for any and all pre-orders. I hope mine comes with it since I pre-ordered way back when they first launched pre-orders but if not it's not major to me. I'm not willing to cancel and replace my order just for a hat and possibly lose my special edition.

And this will be my reply to a comment made roughly twenty days ago.

Spoiler

I knew there was something more solid than implications, but I couldn't remember where they were.

I believe in later works this was solidified as official canon.

And I like that they at least tried to make Faldio more of a character in the anime.  There's only one real solid "character moment" in the main game, and it certainly doesn't do him any favors.  In fact, I almost think he was only made to set up Alicia's transformation and to kill off Maximilian in a way that's supposed to make you feel sad for him.  But in the anime, he's actively a part of a lot of the episodes.

I'm gonna preorder VC4 here soon so that I can get that free DLC.  Since I'm not getting the special edition (PC version doesn't have it), I'm only gonna have access to the one DLC from preordering.  And speaking of which, whatever you do don't look at the Steam Community Hub for VC4.  It's a whole lot of trite and nothing good, and I hate myself for browsing it.

Let's finish off the chapter, shall we?

Chapter 8-11: Some Choice Thoughts in Happy Moments (Closing)

Spoiler

2M1ZvLz.png

So start of the scene, who are Welkin and Alicia saluting?

odeU857.png

Huh, okay.

I almost thought it was gonna be Varrot or someone with how formal he was being.

6wCX5gH.png

Now Largo's become a real big softie.

4DFxQLA.pngsyZEfoW.png

I'm... not sure if she's being spiteful, or is genuinely trying to get her to more openly express herself.

I've just gotten so used to her being nothing but vitriolic towards Isara at this point in the story.

2nsjnGz.pngt8wgyXl.png

Even murderous tank drivers feel shy sometimes, don't judge her too harshly.

rarRQTg.png

Well, I guess that answers my question about Rosie.

Gj41kkY.png

Jeez, this looks like some kind of standoff or something.  I half expect Isara to just whip out a Single Action Army and put five holes in Welkin's chest after blowing off his hat.

2aeDDwy.png

I still think everyone should call him "Welks".

JzIQblk.png

And he pats her like a dog and...

wait, what the fuck?

Z9e1kJB.png

Anyone else think this response makes no fucking sense?

"I was so worried, I'm glad you're alright"

"Me too"

That's the kind of reply you make if you're being a smart-ass, not to express genuine relief from finding your allies (one of them being your sister) after getting separated.  Yet it's delivered with the utmost sincerity.  This isn't quite "We've managed to avoid drowning" levels of tonal disparity, but it'd be better to say "Thanks... I'm glad to see you too" or something along those lines.

Maybe one of those discarded runs where Welkin ran into a landmine were actually the canon run and he's got brain damage.

Anyway!

IePghbw.pngO0q5ZES.png

I feel like if anything, Isara's closer to those two than she is to Welkin.

ZuqoSV0.png2Jm0auj.png

I think I've made this joke before, but...

She gay.

VxxR8A5.png

Or not...

Tsunderes are the most frustrating characters sometimes.

pmVKSuu.png

Largo, always trying to look at the silver lining...

instead of actually fixing the pertinent issue.

Classic, it's just like me.

NXwcS72.png

Then we cut to...

J6rdmx9.pngDFxbMxr.png

Okay, I hate to butt in during a heart-warming moment like this, but I would've thought there'd be more of a conversation between Welkin and his sister than just "good to see you again".

Look, okay...  I'm not hating on the characters or anything like that, but someone here on Serenes Forest complained that Welkin doesn't seem to pay much mind to his own sister.  And now that I'm here, slowly looking through the story unfolding and simply reading the dialogue instead of hearing it, I'm starting to notice something.

eFFCPKn.png

Outside of the reports, it seems like any genuine bonding or character development moments for Welkin happen exclusively with Alicia.

SojIem5.png

In fact, I think the dynamic between the squad members can be summarized with these two screenshots:

BZSDUDg.pnglZULOXk.png

To me, it feels slightly disjointed.  You have Welkin and Alicia, and then you have the other three.  This is the end of the scene, btw.  This is how this chapter ends.

Now listen, I have told everyone here a number of times that I love the story, characters, and gameplay of this game.  I like Welkin, I like Alicia, I like Isara, and I like Largo and Rosie.  And that's not changed, nor will it ever change.

But just like any other piece of media, this game is not without flaws.  One of those is the disjointed dynamic I'm complaining about here.  Another is that yes, this game does have "anime" moments.  It has plenty of slice of life and filler moments that are just dopey and silly, or otherwise not well done.  That first desert chapter is probably the most egregious example, with pretty much nothing of note happening except towards the end and with the gameplay itself either being a boring slog or laughable cakewalk depending (with this mod, it can only be the former).

Now, next week I'm gonna be playing Valkyria Chronicles 4, which will also be a flawed game.  I would like to ask that everyone who has even a remote interest in that game to consider everything they've seen in this LP.  If you hate how VC4 sounds, look at what I've shown you with this game.  Take into consideration all the times I've poked fun at or legitimately criticized the game, and compare them to what you've seen or heard about VC4.  And if nothing else, come along with me when and watch me play it to decide for yourself.  Because from what I've played of VC4, it seems like I'll really enjoy it.  And I think anyone who loves this game will enjoy VC4 as well, and I would like to see other VC fans pick it up and find something to appreciate in it.

In the meantime... I'll bid this LP a temporary farewell.  My favorite moments so far are undoubtedly when folks have replied and especially when they've expressed how much enjoyment they get out of it.  Before I didn't know what I was doing, but now I know that my biggest motivator is simply to make people happy with this stuff.  And I'm sure the same is true for many other LPers.  So if you're worried about replying or talking to any LPer at all, don't be.

Tune in to the Let's Play boards for when I start VC4... and maybe other games.

3 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I've been loosely reading this, rather fun.

Also, "On Hold"? "Crossfire" makes me think, something like "Ceasefire Declared". Which when it ends would later be followed by "Resumption of Hostilities".

Shit, I should've had it say "Temporary Ceasefire".

Actually, I'm gonna change it like that anyway.

• Ertrick36 changed the title to Valkyria Chronicles: Gallian Crossfire mod - Temporary Ceasefire
  • 2 weeks later...