Cordelia Custom Mugshot and Looking for Critique

George Reds

So, I've made my second custom gba mugshot, but I don't really like the way the armor looks. Anyone got any tips?

F9SZMcV.png

Feel free to express your opinion, I'll only hate you slightly.

Edited by George Reds

Her head is fairly tall resulting in a rather long looking face. To make sure you have the right proportions on a portrait, I recommend comparing your work to vanilla portraits. The colors in her hair are all very close together so its a little blobby and its hard to tell what is going on. Upon closer inspection of the hair, I can see that its shaded pretty strangely, with a heavy emphasis on the 2nd shade. The armor is very heavily lined and the light source is pretty inconsistent, on the near shoulder it comes from the left opv but on the rest it comes from the right opv. White and silver is usually shaded with 4 shades, and while you do have 4, you two shades that are very similar that should be the 3rd shade, and don't have a color between the brightest color and that. The new color would help smooth things out a little bit. For the color problems, I recommend sampling colors from existing portraits. Here's all the portraits for reference. It's less lumpy than a lot of early custom attempts I've seen and the lines are pretty smooth. I think you have potential but you gotta work on your colors and study portrait shading a little more. I can make some edits for if you'd like.

Thanks, just let me make son adjustments and then I'll see what you do.

EDIT: I've finished editing the portrait (made a new one). Here it is.

grQy1VJ.png

Edited by George Reds
new content

Her head is still really tall and her neck how now grown to be rather tall as well. The hair colors and shading haven't improved much either. The armor is a better as it doesn't have as many sharp and obvious jagged lines, but the near shoulder is still shaded from the wrong side and parts of it are a little pillowy. Again, I suggest you study hair and armor shading to get a better idea of how they work.

u29wpcv.png

Here's some edits, I didn't really finish anything except for the face. I made her skin tones fe8 colors to match the fe8 outline and then changed her hair color. I edited the armor colors a little bit as well and reshaded her near shoulder armor to be shaded from the correct side. I would've worked off the new armor but I had already started working on the old version.

I used some of your tips and a few assets of your portrait (palette, eye form, mouth, face structure) to make the old (new) one better.

So we go from something like this:

grQy1VJ.png

To this:

xAyXUny.png

My inspiration comes from her official artwork and her Bridal Blessings outfit. I just like her more younger look in those appearances, while her in-game sprite looks more mature.

Edited by George Reds

Her face still looks kinda derpy, the eye positioning is kind of weird. Armor is pretty good, though her neck might be a little long and the far shoulder doesn't seem like the same style of armor. The hair colors are better but the hair shading still needs a lot of work. Sorry I don't really have time to make a good hair example, you just gotta study the vanilla mugs.