Summoning Focus: Brave Heroes!

Vaximillian

Who will be you free pick hero?  

211 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be you free pick hero?

So it just clicked that Ike's Steady Breath is not locked to him. I'm seriously considering putting this on the innate-Distant Counter physical units. Assuming it has no inheritance restrictions among non-staff users, I'm also really tempted to run this on Corrin (F) and Awakening Tiki since it should let them activate a 3-charge special skill on the second counterattack (5-charge if Tiki is double attacked).

I'm assuming from the Japanese wording that both your own attacks and your opponent's attacks will charge your special gauge by +2 per hit as long as the opponent initiates combat. The wording in Japanese is "If the opponent initiates combat, during combat, gain +4 Def and +1 special skill charge rate." without the restriction it only applies to one combatant's attacks.

1 minute ago, Othin said:

Was that consistent with the Japanese version as well?

Yes. It's also Rexcalibur in Japanese. I am disappoint.

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

The hell are Awakening and Fates? I thought those were all Heroes original characters.

Awakening was dead to me after finding out about the Rexcalibur fiasco.

1 Those tomes, Rexcalibur especially have their own share of shenanigans and the like to consider 2 While I can't think of other "downgrades" of this nature, is it really inherently worse than other reusing and repurposing of previous established weapons? 3 What's such a fiasco about it? 

20 minutes ago, goodperson707 said:

3 What's such a fiasco about it? 

Heroes “Rexcalibur” should have been called Tornado as in Jugdral and Tellius. Instead they went with Awakening.

4 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

Heroes “Rexcalibur” should have been called Tornado as in Jugdral and Tellius. Instead they went with Awakening.

And why is that a fiasco? (In both a scope sense and an objective and not opinion sense) Also Heroes not Awakening? 

22 minutes ago, goodperson707 said:

And why is that a fiasco? (In both a scope sense and an objective and not opinion sense) Also Heroes not Awakening? 

Jugdral and Tellius already established Bolganone, Thoron, and Tornado as the names of the top-tier non-legendary elemental tomes. There was no reason to name Awakening's Rexcalibur as Rexcalibur when another weapon of the exact same name already existed as a "legendary" elemental tome in Tellius, which is one of the continents that already had the established naming scheme.

As a professional, consistency is a thing that I value, and being inconsistent is unprofessional and is a sign of incompetency.

As an old-timer, I like the pre-DS games better.

@Ice Dragon: fun fact—Tellius Rexcalibur is basically GBA Fimbulvetr down to the internal name in the code.

By Naga, I need my Fimbulvetr badly. Limstella when? I hope Valaskjálf didn’t displace Fimbulvetr as the ice tome.

Edited by Vaximillian

4 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Jugdral and Tellius already established Bolganone, Thoron, and Tornado as the names of the top-tier non-legendary elemental tomes. There was no reason to name Awakening's Rexcalibur as Rexcalibur when another weapon of the exact same name already existed as a "legendary" elemental tome in Tellius, which is one of the continents that already had the established naming scheme.

As a professional, consistency is a thing that I value, and being inconsistent is unprofessional and is a sign of incompetency.

As an old-timer, I like the pre-DS games better.

Okay I understand. I still think Fiasco is an overstatement. (And that the issues with Tellius's Rexclalibur muddy the already existed part) As for inconsistenties I'll just say that Rexcalibur has company from all eras. 

6 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

@Ice Dragon: fun fact—Tellius Rexcalibur is basically GBA Fimbulvetr down to the internal name in the code.

Indeed. The animation is also the same, but reversed and in 3D. You think I don't know my old-timey internal ROM data, huh?

1 minute ago, Ice Dragon said:

Indeed. The animation is also the same, but reversed and in 3D. You think I don't know my old-timey internal ROM data, huh?

Fimbulvetr sounds cooler than Rexcalibur. They should have stuck to that.

1 minute ago, Vaximillian said:

Could have given them actual names instead of those generic mad libs.

I believe the three of them were Forblaze, Mjolnir, and Fimbulvetr in the internal data in FE9. Which still doesn't work as a trio.

I love Tellius, but I wish they kept the weapon triangle from the GBA.  I still can't remember what beats what in Tellius.

6 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

I believe the three of them were Forblaze, Mjolnir, and Fimbulvetr in the internal data in FE9. Which still doesn't work as a trio.

Generic names work for generic low-rank tomes, not for supposed legendary weapons of historic importance.

Also now we have two Mjölnirs thanks to Fates. Another reason why that game is not canon.

4 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

I love Tellius, but I wish they kept the weapon triangle from the GBA.  I still can't remember what beats what in Tellius.

Tine beats Hilda is my mnemonic.

And Forseti beats Mjölnir, but Tine is cuter than Lewyn.

Edited by Vaximillian

3 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

I guess it speaks to how much I played RD that I remember the magic triangles by heart: I remember that Light beats Dark and for the Anima triangle, I remember that Fire beats Wind since oxygen helps a fire burn brighter. I figure out the rest from there. 

6 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

I believe the weapon triangle is fully intact with Light over Dark over Anima. There's just the secondary triangle that they borrowed from Jugdral with Fire over Wind over Thunder.

Fire beats Wind because wind fuels fire.

2 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

Generic names work for generic low-rank tomes, not for supposed legendary weapons of historic importance.

There was like literally nothing important about the SS-rank tomes in Tellius, though.

4 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

There was like literally nothing important about the SS-rank tomes in Tellius, though.

Worldbuilding is not Tellius’ strong suit. Hence the “supposed”.

They are still one-of-a-kind Big Thing and should have had unique names.

Edited by Vaximillian

15 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

Also now we have two Mjölnirs thanks to Fates. Another reason why that game is not canon.

Tine beats Hilda is my mnemonic.

And Forseti beats Mjölnir, but Tine is cuter than Lewyn.

Just from a look at the wiki it seems to be translation tomfoolery. (Possibly going both ways language wise) But yeah that's unfortunate those games which do that sort of thing should be stuck down with both the legendary Sacred Twin Excalibur and it's counterpart Thoron

2 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

They are of highest craftsmanship I think, but yeah there isn't anything legendary about them. I also watched a French video of the S tomes in PoR- they labeled Rexcalibur Fimbulvetr in that translation. Rexflame is also in a sense Forblaze, because both the FE7 version of Forblaze and Rexflame involve bathing your foe in intense heat- one with flame, the other lava. Rexbolt is the only one that truly lacks a 2D equivalent (unless Mjolnir is- I never played FE4). 

2 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

At least they weren't named something god-awful like Double Bow.

Wishblade is worse, because it isn't a sword and sounds like wishbone- the thing at Thanksgiving you make a wish on and then break. Double Bow at least has the suggestion of something about its design. And Vague Katti and Urvan are both good.

The FE7 weapons were worse than RD's in terms of lore, but they had nice names outside of the misnamed Excalibur- even the Regal Blade (though Ike's Regal Sword and Alm's Royal Sword made it less good in retrospect).

18 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

I really hated how fates handled magic. Completely removed most of the already established basic spells and then used legendary/high rank tomes like Mjolnir, Fimbulvetr and Ragnarok as their basic tomes instead. And don't even get me started on the one dark magic tome bullshit.

Edited by Korath88

3 minutes ago, Korath88 said:

I really hated how fates handled magic. Completely removed most of the already established basic spells and then used legendary tomes like Mjolnir, Fimbulvetr and Ragnarok as their basic tomes instead. And don't even get me started on the one dark magic tome bullshit.

Fates could have handled Magic a LOT better than it did, but at least that was just on the Nohr side and we got the Chinese Zodiac and some ink drawings as magic on the Hoshido side... which won't translate well to Heroes if Hayato gets added to Heroes...

Edited by Xenomata

9 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Wishblade is worse, because it isn't a sword and sounds like wishbone- the thing at Thanksgiving you make a wish on and then break. Double Bow at least has the suggestion of something about its design. And Vague Katti and Urvan are both good.

The FE7 weapons were worse than RD's in terms of lore, but they had nice names outside of the misnamed Excalibur- even the Regal Blade (though Ike's Regal Sword and Alm's Royal Sword made it less good in retrospect).

Wishblade's name was based on its Japanese name, Sehnsucht, German for "longing". "Sehnsucht", though, just looks and sounds cooler, as does the weapon's internal name of "Zanezphte".

Double Bow loses all of the original name of Valfleche/Ballefleche.

FE7's physical weapons (barring the mistranslation of Lionfleche to Rienfleche) were all named for kingly things, which was damned cool.

And then the post-Tellius games give us basically nothing in terms of legendary-tier weapons.

Edited by Ice Dragon